Godfrey Pass 2 - Swiss Meter Gauge in the Garden - Bored, Planning, Questions!

Satan's Goldfish

• RMweb Gold

What if I added a bright orange well wagon and yellow crane?.....

(neither of which are prototypical)

On the plus side, if I buy more, I can tell the wife 'Paul told me I had to'.

You're not really limited to Reichenau as the vans aren't exclusive to the named traffic, they do turn up in other places occasionally and the FO coaches went right through the on the glacier express to St Moritz  ;)

Anything orange or yellow is fine, as to telling the wife, go ahead I'll just plead insanity. All my mates wives try to limit the damage by making me cakes so I don't come up with good ideas. On two occasions I was delivered cake while operating Rhatia :)

You might want to mention that . . . .

Just a hint . . . .

• RMweb Gold

Oh and not just a slice, a nice 10 inch cake tin sized round of spongy goodness . . . .

Chocolate or Victoria sponge, none of this carrot stuff in it, just to be clear Vegetables are not cake!

• RMweb Gold

She does very nice brownies, tbh you're best avoiding her other creations.....

Are the Valser vans not limited to xxxxx (where ever it is the spring is) to domat ems then? Good.

Technically yes but I have seen a photo in a train on the Albula viaducts, whether it was for publicity or being used for something else I don't know but you can always create a 'flow' :mail:  via the Bernina, oh and you need at least three . . .

Technically yes but I have seen a photo in a train on the Albula viaducts, whether it was for publicity or being used for something else I don't know but you can always create a 'flow' :mail:  via the Bernina, oh and you need at least three . . .

Interestingly, mixing Bernina railcars with 15kv core network stock is where I draw my line, but if I was to start again I would go purely Bernina (short trains, mixed passenger and all types of freight wagons). I know the Gem4/4 locomotives ventured off the Bernina and there's been a few of the Kiss models for sale recently, but I've no problems resisting them.

At least 3 eh? I do like the look of the RhB silver sides with ribs vans that LGB have made recently.

• RMweb Gold

I'd have a close look at those new vans before parting with cash, the RhB logo is printed so thick it looks like a giant sticker has been put on and the inkjet prints are getting notorious for not taking knocks well. Several have arrived with chips on the edges of the print where the packaging has rubbed it off.

Not up to the quality of the older tampo prints and it's driving them nuts on some of the large scale forums.

The beauty of models is you can push the boundaries a bit, I had a switchable section in my story to allow Bernina stock to run on the branch on Rhatia, bit like the section at Pontresina ;)

Adding a traffic flow to a different destination is a nice way to allow unusual moves and as it's not a prototype station it's no further fetched  :onthequiet:

Edited by PaulRhB

First bit, good info, thanks for that.

Second bit, that's true, rule 1 always applies. We're eyeing up house move options, 1 of which has a steep enough slope that rack becomes a very viable addition (just how much could those little LGB FO rack locos shove up a 1in8?!). I always like to think that if the Belinzona stretch had reached all the way to the core network then that would have been similar in operation and voltage to the Bernina.

• 1 month later...

The centre crossing of the scissors has arrived from Germany :)

post-9147-0-70262500-1496408562_thumb.jpg

Train Line45, 45 degree crossing. Went for the option with the longest legs as there was very little difference in price on their 3 options but I want there to be 600mm of length between points. Just need the points and slip to match around it now.

In other news, I sold my car which had done me well with its v8 growl for the last 8 years, so to cheer me up Mrs SG bought me an engine (also sent from Germany and arrived at the same time as the crossing!)

post-9147-0-64523300-1496408600_thumb.jpg

This has sparked my interest again in what other engines are on the wish list. Anything red is from Kiss (just missed a ge4/4i last month :( ), but I'd forgotten about gm4/4 no. 241. Seems a bit rare to find and I think they were all mts fitted, but I'm toying with idea of getting an old dc DB red one (if there's one at the right price), stripping it down and attempting a respray into RhB orange.

And in a 'good things come in 3s' style, a track cleaning wagon attachment also turned up this morning for me to fit later. Saved a single 300mm non-RhB wagon especially for one of these.

THAT IS ALL.

• Like 2

There's at least versions of 241 in two variations of the livery ;)

25510 modern big numbers on cab with mts

26512 original livery RhB logo on cab with mts sound

Original is my intention (got a saved Ebay search for 26512 incase pigs fly and a dirt cheap one appears).

I did stumble over another forum with some comments from you Paul about detailing one ;)

• RMweb Gold

That's why I'm thinking respray. The red DB V51 seemed to be everywhere 20 years ago, it'd be a big project to turn one orange but it'd keep me out of trouble for a bit.

I used VW orange from Halfords.

On the subject of colour, what colour/what is a good colour match for the window surround on the older Bernina stock livery? I've seen it variously described as black (no!), brown, anthracite, but nothing definitive in English.

post-9147-0-14423700-1496592593.jpg

Can anyone give a clue? Thanks.

'Cheap' old V51 on route from Germany. Rattle can of VW orange on the list next time I get to Halfords, chassis will get a couple of coats of grey primer. Bit of work needed to make transfers but there seems to be only 2 to create for its original orange livery (RhB logo, and loco data panels (both white on orange back ground)).

(and a match for RAL 8019 in a spray can (search ral 8019 on google images, good to see a lack of internet colour consistency!))

• RMweb Gold

If the primers a bit light I found plastikote sprays in Homebase & B&Q that were a good match to RhB grey.

Edit

Plasti-kote 3102 grey which is a very close match to the LGB parts.

For RhB red on LGB I used Halfords Nissan red 526.

Edited by PaulRhB

Found a spray can claiming to be RAL 8019 on amazon, will see how that turns out. Plasti-kote is useful, a touch worried the grey primer I've got is a little light. Touch wood if I do everything right i shouldn't need any red, but good to know there's a match, cheers Paul.

Got our eyes on another house, good sized sloping garden, worried train length of 16' will look to small in it so debating going up to 20' (loco + 8). Thoughts on pros/cons of pushing the Length? What's the max an LGB Ge4/4iii can handle? Can they go all the way to 12 coaches on a 1 in 30 grade?! (Don't have space to test that yet!)