Godfrey Pass 2 - Swiss Meter Gauge in the Garden - Bored, Planning, Questions!

Satan's Goldfish

• RMweb Premium

Theres one at Snettisham, Norton Grange Light Railway, its at the old vicarage, and opens every now and again for charity events...

I like the Bunker like look of your potential new gaff.

Andy G

I don't think that's too bad at all.

post-9147-0-75001200-1498984891_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-91497700-1498984922_thumb.jpg

The broken door and hand rail have been araldited back on and left to set over night. Some hand rails and window surrounds have been picked out in black, just silver side Windows and yellow vertical hand rails to go. And the wasp stripes on the buffer beam which is why the body isn't fixed on, not sure how I'm going to tackle that yet. I have a pack of spare RhB buffers so they may get swapped, then it's just the transfers left to finish it off :)

• Like 4

More parts from the eBay fairy towards building the scissors.

post-9147-0-75821600-1499367005_thumb.jpg

I knew this was going to be a big bit of trackwork, but wasn't prepared for quite how big. One more major component to go; a right hand piko curved point. It will have taken 3 different manufacturers to build this when it's done.

241 has gained it's yellow rails and silver Windows too, just transfers for the wasp stripes and cab side detail/logo to go :)

Edit; looking at the layout, the track spacing of the scissors is much wider than I thought it would be. Goes to show that as useful as cad planning can be, there are some things you won't spot until you build. So I've tried again but connecting the points directly to the crossing:

post-9147-0-70067000-1499414048_thumb.jpg

'Platform' width between tracks is nicer, and the lgb track geometry matches itself better too.

Edit edit: for future reference (shame xtrack doesn't have Piko curve points or any Train Line45 files, been created using 'best guess' from available info)

post-9147-0-86871900-1499455950_thumb.jpg

Edited by Satan's Goldfish

Does anyone have a model of, or can anyone point me in the direction of a picture, of Gm4/4 241 in its original livery that clearly shows the information data panel (white writing on orange) at the bottom half of its cab please? I've attached a picture below of the panel on Ge2/4 213 to show the info I'm after, but I'm struggling to find a clear picture of it anywhere to create the transfer from, and I know items like length and weight are going to be different so can't just do a straight copy of 213.

Thanks.

post-9147-0-47116500-1499676356_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sun's out, test of new stock and track time.

Gm4/4 works well, lived life on the edge by painting it before testing it.

2 new sliding wall vans to check, mobel pfister and plain RhB. I had a good look over the new RhB van following comments earlier in the thread about paint quality, yes the logo is on very thick and doesn't stand up to close inspection, but at normal garden rail viewing distance it's fine. It also has compensated bogies which the smooth vans don't, and as such it's the only item that hasn't yet derailed on the scissors!

Scissor test, rh point and slip. No issues with point but the electrical continuity of the slip needs some attention. The Gm4/4 has just a big enough wheel base to get over it, but anything small will stop. Probably doesn't help that it's laid over a ridge in the path making the crossover a hump-back.

post-9147-0-80810200-1499944110_thumb.jpg

That is all for today.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks to a very useful link sent to me by Paul RhB, I can now safely say that my Ge4/4iii's liveries put me at a maximum of 2002/2003 for modern-ness. Which is good for me, keeps FO and BVZ as separate companies still.... just! There is a bit of a gap between those and a green Ge4/4ii though :)

• Like 1

Technically yes but I have seen a photo in a train on the Albula viaducts, whether it was for publicity or being used for something else I don't know but you can always create a 'flow' :mail:  via the Bernina, oh and you need at least three . . .

Ref valser being off-route, got 1 with kuoni at 3:15 and 14:15 on Albula here :)

https://youtu.be/04bpLi8TRJY

Isn't research fun!

• RMweb Gold

I'd guess purely a brakemans shelter. Not sure if it would be only for the works trains or other use. Certainly be useful for a bit of protection on the FO over the Furka pass on works trains being pushed up to drop or erect the bridge either end of the season ;)

• Like 1

So Mrs SG gave me an early Christmas present, because the box was bigger than she expected and couldn't hide it/wrap it. At least I'm set if I ever manage to get hold of or scratch build a Hge 4/4 I.

post-9147-0-47229900-1506676612_thumb.jpg

But, I know the bogies coach isn't right for the FO, they could have At least put the correct buffers on it. Which is shortly followed by my next gripe of 'why can't LGB use the same shaped hole to fit all their different buffers!' My spare RhB buffers don't fit :(

post-9147-0-72769400-1506676723_thumb.jpg

Just have to hide that in the middle...

Also, LGB, printing destination boards that are removable on the prototype doesn't work over a couple of rows of rivets!

post-9147-0-55480800-1506676796_thumb.jpg

...that's the 'extra-zug' sorted, finally something for the Aussichtswagen and Crocodile to run with :)

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Merry Christmas from Godfrey Pass! And it's annual outing around a Christmas tree...

post-9147-0-96556900-1514025430_thumb.jpg

There's a suspiciously LGB sized box beneath the tree, watch this space for what that may be, or if it's Mrs SG playing a practical joke. Either way I'll be impressed.

I've also received another FO coach (which wasn't due until after Christmas!) from an eBay seller I'm in denial about using. Supposedly mint in box, but figures had been added (work that one out), these mean I probably should add passengers to other stock now. Upon closer inspection, 7 were glued in but the other 7 were only held with blu-tac so I've removed them to put into other coaches.

post-9147-0-56446500-1514025360_thumb.jpg

Just need a 'cheap' supply of 100+ more seated figures now for other stock.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

(LGB shaped present was a Conrad-Storz tanker btw :) so far this year I've also managed to acquire another 'plain' RhB ew1 2nd class red coach which is a useful stock boost, plus Friday saw delivery of my first big red engine from Germany, ge4/4ii 'Arosa' :) (I do have other big engines, they just weren't red!))

• 4 weeks later...

SNOW!!!

Disappointing snow.

Disappointing because I forgot to lay a proper circuit at the start of the week before it arrived. But with fresh due last night I dropped a length outside the back door with wires attached. This morning it was covered with snow, and dog foot prints.

post-9147-0-54823100-1520067503_thumb.jpg

Wires found and a short stretch cleared. Engine from the top of the pile pressed into service.

post-9147-0-17352200-1520067708_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-70957100-1520067745_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-91393200-1520067778_thumb.jpg

Found this engine was a little light on it's own to push through some of it and had a habit of just wheel spinning. So added the only coach to hand, which isn't finished yet.

post-9147-0-24392400-1520067807_thumb.jpg

This was it's first test on rails too which it did quite well despite them not being level at all.

All in all, not as fun as the last snow I was free for in 2010 when I had a decent folded figure 8 layed in the garden, but it's better than nothing.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Question: what size is the self tapping screw that holds LGB hook and loop couplers onto rolling stock? I can size nuts and bolts without a problem, but I've not mastered self tapping screws and a Google search hasn't helped. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

No takers on the above question? Time for me to go get some odd looks at the local DIY ;)

In other news, we've had an offer accepted on a house! Not quite where we were aiming, but it will finally give Godfrey Pass a permanent home. It has a slightly sloping garden (raised at the house and very back of the plot, dips about 2ft (a guess!) In the middle) and wife unit has approved a 10x30 shed for layouts/workshop use.

Obviously domestic chores and shed construction will have to take priority, but It's got me back into the layout planning mindset as I now have a canvas to work with. After drawing a couple of options, I'm still coming back to the junction station (with scissors) and balloon loop format, plus a stretch of double track running.

post-9147-0-71183900-1526320825_thumb.jpg

The main station (Godfrey Platz) still needs some storage sidings, and not all the potential track work in the station is shown. I've also tried to work a mirror image of Godfrey Platz just in case, but I'm not really feeling it yet. The station marked 'other' will be in the bottom of the valley (lowest point in the garden), with the highest point being the reversing loop hidden in the shed about 5ft higher, so very little level track!

Godfrey Platz has a 'dynamic loop' leading to Godfrey Dorf, this simplifies track work and electrics a bit. Double track also to the return loop for the same reason, although this may end up being gauntlet track where it enters the shed depending what happens scenically there (Landwasser style viaduct maybe?)

Edit: forgot to add, depending what stock I get in the future, there's the scope for a rack line to be added from 'other' to return loop in the shed, but that's a long way off.

But for now, the plan later this week is to take a lot of the track to my parents to set up on their decking for my nephews to enjoy during the summer... watch this space for 'Godfrey on tour'!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold