1951 Pullman Scratchbuild in 1/32

hendie

On 23/05/2020 at 17:21, richard i said:

You need to not fit the lamps yet because you need to work out how to light them. 

I'll work out the method if you want to come across and fit them!

Things are continuing to move in a forwards direction.  A lot of the stuff over the last few days has been of the cut, sand, stain, repeat persuasion. Infinitely boring. 

A break from the monotony arrived when it was time to fit a few more transfers. This lot is for the bar area

P5240001.jpg

Yet more heater boxes - this time in the dining area. I surprised myself by managing to make the heat box in one continuous section and still get it to fit

P5250002.jpg

Followed by more measuring, cutting, staining, etc as I needed the heater box for the bar area as well.  I realized that I couldn't cut any of the cover strips to length without having the heater box in place.

Brass got fitted to the dining area heater box - my very last section of that particular brass mesh - which is now OOP.   I had to end up buying a selection of meshes to try and get something similar, or rather, not too obviously different.

P5250003.jpg

Also started making up the pelmets - and now I've got to try and keep track of what all the different pieces are for - not easy for an old sod like mesel.

P5250009.jpg

A small disaster struck when I was putting the gloss coat on top of the transfers - I got a run on one of the panels.  Easy I thought - just sand it all back and re-gloss and stick another transfer on (luckily I was sensible enough to order extra).  However, when I re-glossed the panel, there was and obvious defect which showed up if you caught the light - you can just see it here if you strain.

I toyed with the idea of carrying on, but after a few milliseconds, it was Nope!, make another panel or I'd forever be staring at that defect.

P5250004.jpg

This evening I managed to get all the main panels glued in place.  Still a lot of work to be done though - heater boxes, window cills, cover strips, then pelmets have still got to be fitted.

P5260022.jpg

One of those jobs I'd been putting off was the TRIANON BAR sign on the art work behind the bar.  As far as I can tell, the real sign has Chromed letters mounted directly on the frame.

I tried printing out a sign (top) and painted it up, but it was too large. I tried another (center) but trying to paint the letters was difficult - they are only 2 mm high.  Then I came across a piece of photo etch (bottom) I'd made a couple of years ago and wondered if I could use that.

P5260016.jpg

I painted it using the same brown I used on the side frames.  When the paint had dried, I put a piece of micromesh on top of a piece of granite, then very gently placed the painted Trianon Bar sign face down on the micromesh.  Even more carefully I rubbed the photo etch back and forth on top of the micromesh in the hope that I could remove paint only from the letters and not the rest of the signage.

I'd call that a success!   Okay the letters are now brass and not chrome as I believe they should be, but this is by far the best Trianon Bar sign I've made so I'm sticking with this.

P5260017.jpg

Nothing ever goes according to plan does it?

When I came to fit the sign, I noticed that a bunch of dust had somehow got behind the glass and was very visible down the left side of the artwork.  As much as I didn't want to do this, I felt I had no choice but to try and open it up again to remove the dust.  I removed the minimum possible number of pieces to let me in - once I had got this far, I could prise up the edge of the clear sheet and blow under it to remove the dust

P5260013.jpg

Then glue it all back together again!  (I had to take the photo at this angle so the light would catch the text

P5260020.jpg

As you can probably see in the photo above, I also got the bar heater box made up and brass fitted.  The mesh is slightly different but close enough to the original mesh I was using.

P5260018.jpg

Downsides again - the new mesh is so unbelievably thin that when the heater box is in place you can actually see through it and see the carpet on the floor. I'll need to add a dark strip of wood behind the mesh so that you can't see the carpet - a fairly easy job.

now to figure out how I can purchase a whole load of brass tee sections without SWMBO asking awkward questions

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

On 27/05/2020 at 04:51, Enterprisingwestern said:

Re the dinette.

How do the people in the "easy" seats eat their meal with only half a table in front of them?

Mike

With difficulty I would imagine.  The double seat on the other side of the wall from the dinette also has the same issue. Maybe they get a partial discount?  or extra napkins!

Today's update doesn't bring much in the way of yer actual physical construction process, but it does give me a massive leap forward into knowing how this is all going to come together, more of which later.

The dining area was fitted out. Heater box installed, curtains and pelmets installed, which leaves just the lamps, luggage racks, a mirror, table brackets, and chairs and tables. 

(The white is just the diluted PVA before drying - it disappears nicely when dried.).  Oh, I also need a few signs and some other trinkets such as passcom etc.

P5290011.jpg

Paneling was finished off in the bar area. As per dining area - lamps etc still to be fitted.  In addition, in the bar area, there are two small wall mounted bench seats which I still have to make and figure out how to do the covering though that shouldn't present much of an issue.

P5290010.jpg

Here's an overall view of how things stand at present. Still a few panels to fit in place, vestibules to finish off, doors between compartments to add, so still a reasonable amount of work to be done.

It's really taking shape now though.  Working at home has given me a lot of opportunity to move this thing forward.  It's amazing how much those lunch-breaks and time not spent traveling has added up.  I reckon I get about an additional 60 - 90 minutes per day on this compared to pre-CV19.

P5290012.jpg

Now on to something exciting - sort of. A problem that has presented itself on and off throughout the build is how on earth am I going to display all this when it's finished?

All sorts of solutions have been proposed and explored and for every solution there was one or more downsides and I just couldn't figure it out... until last week that is!  The conversation that spouted the Carlines option. 

The more I thought about it, the more it seemed like the perfect solution.  Dare I say even... elegant ?

I can still do a full roof, and I can do carlines, cant rail and bulkheads over the car which will still allow everything to be seen. In addition the carlines will add a real element of visual interest.  I'm liking this idea more and more.

I then spent several hours trying to figure out just how to achieve that. Using styrene was out as the carlines consist of around 8 radii and I would never be able to get styrene to hold its shape - and I needed 30 carlines to be exactly the same.  I ruled out 3D printing as I thought it would be too fine to withstand my clumsy handling, which left brass as the only real viable option. Brass Tee section in the right dimensions is widely available - just not here in the States :banghead:

After some research I found a supplier who would ship to the States, but it wasn't going to be cheap - and given current restrictions, it could be some time before it arrives. I'd also have the problem of making 30 carlines exactly the same.  I knew I could create a fixture/jig, but the brass would have some spring in it and even after annealing the brass, bending a tee section isn't the easiest thing in the world.

All that combined to set me thinking again - I have the 3D printer so what would I have to lose by trying a test print just to see how things turned out?  A few hours of my time and nothing else - so I gave it a try.

50 mm x 50 mm Tee section was used on the actual build which worked out to a nice 1.25 mm at 1/32 scale. That seemed just a little bit on the light side so I beefed the tee up to a whopping 1.5 mm x 1.5 mm and hoped it would not be obviously over scale.

Apologies for the quality of the photo, but you can still make out the Tee section of the carlines and the cant rail turned out way better than I anticipated.

P5280004.jpg

The first print turned out to be just a little on the large side - the width was too great by about 0.5 mm but enough to cause fitting issues.

P5280001.jpg

However the next couple of shots prove the concept.  The tee section doesn't appear out of scale at 1.5 mm and the skeletal structure still lets you see clearly into the interior

P5280002.jpg

The only down side to doing it this way is that I have a limited print area.  The width is no problem but I can only manage about 60 - 65 mm in length with each print.  I could print in a different orientation but that would create more issues with the number of supports required and the subsequent cleanup. 

It works out that I'll need to create about 10 different prints as the carline spacing isn't constant.  That is no big deal and easy enough to account for and should only be around 2 hours CAD work

P5280003.jpg

The only real issue to overcome is warping as the structure cures.  When the print first comes out of the bath, the plastic is very soft and pliable and it's very easy to remove the supports.  However, removing the supports allows the part to warp as it cures as there's nothing to fix the structure in place.  Even with the supports still attached there's a certain amount of warping so I came up with this little contraption to clamp everything in place while I placed it outside for half an hour to cure under natural UV light.

This is print number two with dimensions tweaked slightly and I reduced the number of supports to make clean up a bit easier,

P5290006.jpg

Ouch!  Even after just half an hour in natural UV, the plastic became very brittle and a couple of the Tee sections broke off while I was trimming the supports.  Just that small amount of flex while the snips cut through the plastic is enough to make things fly.

P5290007.jpg

But the good news is that it fits perfectly!  Creating the rest of the roof is going to be a doddle now.

P5290008.jpg

The next question which arose was what color should the skeleton structure be?

Staying true to the 1:1 build, all the roof skeletal structure should really be red oxide.  Is white an option though?   The finished roof is white so I can see a case for either color.

I was a bit concerned that having a white skeleton over the car may detract from the interior as the brightness of the white may catch the eyes but a quick test shows that not to be the case (I think)

P5290009.jpg

I've ordered some red oxide paint so I'll do a side by side comparison when that arrives, but I'm pleased that I now have a definite path forward to complete this build - just a few minor issues to resolve first.  Its obvious from my two prints so far that I need to remove the supports before the final cure on the plastic so I need to figure out a clamping method to fix the structure after the supports are removed and while it undergoes final curing.  I'm sure I can figure that one out easily enough.

I think I've also figured out the final display - the car itself will be on a raised plinth inside the case with the full roof in front of, and at a lower level than Pegasus.  That will allow the full chassis to be displayed without any obstruction.

I like it when a plan starts coming together

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, hendie said:

With difficulty I would imagine.  The double seat on the other side of the wall from the dinette also has the same issue. Maybe they get a partial discount?  or extra napkins!

Today's update doesn't bring much in the way of yer actual physical construction process, but it does give me a massive leap forward into knowing how this is all going to come together, more of which later.

The dining area was fitted out. Heater box installed, curtains and pelmets installed, which leaves just the lamps, luggage racks, a mirror, table brackets, and chairs and tables. 

(The white is just the diluted PVA before drying - it disappears nicely when dried.).  Oh, I also need a few signs and some other trinkets such as passcom etc.

P5290011.jpg

Paneling was finished off in the bar area. As per dining area - lamps etc still to be fitted.  In addition, in the bar area, there are two small wall mounted bench seats which I still have to make and figure out how to do the covering though that shouldn't present much of an issue.

P5290010.jpg

Here's an overall view of how things stand at present. Still a few panels to fit in place, vestibules to finish off, doors between compartments to add, so still a reasonable amount of work to be done.

It's really taking shape now though.  Working at home has given me a lot of opportunity to move this thing forward.  It's amazing how much those lunch-breaks and time not spent traveling has added up.  I reckon I get about an additional 60 - 90 minutes per day on this compared to pre-CV19.

P5290012.jpg

Now on to something exciting - sort of. A problem that has presented itself on and off throughout the build is how on earth am I going to display all this when it's finished?

All sorts of solutions have been proposed and explored and for every solution there was one or more downsides and I just couldn't figure it out... until last week that is!  The conversation that spouted the Carlines option. 

The more I thought about it, the more it seemed like the perfect solution.  Dare I say even... elegant ?

I can still do a full roof, and I can do carlines, cant rail and bulkheads over the car which will still allow everything to be seen. In addition the carlines will add a real element of visual interest.  I'm liking this idea more and more.

I then spent several hours trying to figure out just how to achieve that. Using styrene was out as the carlines consist of around 8 radii and I would never be able to get styrene to hold its shape - and I needed 30 carlines to be exactly the same.  I ruled out 3D printing as I thought it would be too fine to withstand my clumsy handling, which left brass as the only real viable option. Brass Tee section in the right dimensions is widely available - just not here in the States :banghead:

After some research I found a supplier who would ship to the States, but it wasn't going to be cheap - and given current restrictions, it could be some time before it arrives. I'd also have the problem of making 30 carlines exactly the same.  I knew I could create a fixture/jig, but the brass would have some spring in it and even after annealing the brass, bending a tee section isn't the easiest thing in the world.

All that combined to set me thinking again - I have the 3D printer so what would I have to lose by trying a test print just to see how things turned out?  A few hours of my time and nothing else - so I gave it a try.

50 mm x 50 mm Tee section was used on the actual build which worked out to a nice 1.25 mm at 1/32 scale. That seemed just a little bit on the light side so I beefed the tee up to a whopping 1.5 mm x 1.5 mm and hoped it would not be obviously over scale.

Apologies for the quality of the photo, but you can still make out the Tee section of the carlines and the cant rail turned out way better than I anticipated.

P5280004.jpg

The first print turned out to be just a little on the large side - the width was too great by about 0.5 mm but enough to cause fitting issues.

P5280001.jpg

However the next couple of shots prove the concept.  The tee section doesn't appear out of scale at 1.5 mm and the skeletal structure still lets you see clearly into the interior

P5280002.jpg

The only down side to doing it this way is that I have a limited print area.  The width is no problem but I can only manage about 60 - 65 mm in length with each print.  I could print in a different orientation but that would create more issues with the number of supports required and the subsequent cleanup. 

It works out that I'll need to create about 10 different prints as the carline spacing isn't constant.  That is no big deal and easy enough to account for and should only be around 2 hours CAD work

P5280003.jpg

The only real issue to overcome is warping as the structure cures.  When the print first comes out of the bath, the plastic is very soft and pliable and it's very easy to remove the supports.  However, removing the supports allows the part to warp as it cures as there's nothing to fix the structure in place.  Even with the supports still attached there's a certain amount of warping so I came up with this little contraption to clamp everything in place while I placed it outside for half an hour to cure under natural UV light.

This is print number two with dimensions tweaked slightly and I reduced the number of supports to make clean up a bit easier,

P5290006.jpg

Ouch!  Even after just half an hour in natural UV, the plastic became very brittle and a couple of the Tee sections broke off while I was trimming the supports.  Just that small amount of flex while the snips cut through the plastic is enough to make things fly.

P5290007.jpg

But the good news is that it fits perfectly!  Creating the rest of the roof is going to be a doddle now.

P5290008.jpg

The next question which arose was what color should the skeleton structure be?

Staying true to the 1:1 build, all the roof skeletal structure should really be red oxide.  Is white an option though?   The finished roof is white so I can see a case for either color.

I was a bit concerned that having a white skeleton over the car may detract from the interior as the brightness of the white may catch the eyes but a quick test shows that not to be the case (I think)

P5290009.jpg

I've ordered some red oxide paint so I'll do a side by side comparison when that arrives, but I'm pleased that I now have a definite path forward to complete this build - just a few minor issues to resolve first.  Its obvious from my two prints so far that I need to remove the supports before the final cure on the plastic so I need to figure out a clamping method to fix the structure after the supports are removed and while it undergoes final curing.  I'm sure I can figure that one out easily enough.

I think I've also figured out the final display - the car itself will be on a raised plinth inside the case with the full roof in front of, and at a lower level than Pegasus.  That will allow the full chassis to be displayed without any obstruction.

I like it when a plan starts coming together

How about red oxide for the frame with white for the top surface to match the real roof? What colour is the ceiling - is that white too?

• Like 2

Are you sure that 50mm works out at 1.25mm at 1:32 scale? To me that sounds like it scales up to 40mm.

If so, it's a good thing that you scaled up to 1.5mm. Still underscale by 0.06mm, but better than the 1.25 you planned.

I'm also on the side of red oxide. It sounds like you plan to effectively show it as a "cutaway", so it stands to reason that one would show the correct colours of the presented sections. It also rings true to the attention to detail you've shown thus far, especially where colour is concerned.

• Thanks 1

On 30/05/2020 at 03:11, Bucoops said:

How about red oxide for the frame with white for the top surface to match the real roof? What colour is the ceiling - is that white too?

I think the white is too stark over the interior and draws the eyes too much. 

On 30/05/2020 at 03:36, Enterprisingwestern said:

Transparent carlines or even complete roof?

Transparent carlines would be difficult and I don't think they would look good unless they were crystal clear like glass.

8 hours ago, 08-362 said:

Are you sure that 50mm works out at 1.25mm at 1:32 scale? To me that sounds like it scales up to 40mm.

If so, it's a good thing that you scaled up to 1.5mm. Still underscale by 0.06mm, but better than the 1.25 you planned.

I'm also on the side of red oxide. It sounds like you plan to effectively show it as a "cutaway", so it stands to reason that one would show the correct colours of the presented sections. It also rings true to the attention to detail you've shown thus far, especially where colour is concerned.

Aaaand you are absolutely correct sir!    I should have stated 40mm Tee bar -which works out at 1.25mm exactly.  Beefing it up to the 1.5mm as I did would have equated to a 50 x 50mm Tee bar which wouldn't have been out of place.  (me jaded memory got  things back to  front)

Hopefully the red oxide will blend in to the build as hoped.

I spent a few hours the other night and have constructed all the roof sections now I just need to build the support structure and slice them and then they'll be ready for print

• Like 2

ah... the weekend.  Storms and flash flood warnings. What more can a man ask for ? (Saved me from taking my evening constitutional in 90 degrees and ungodly humidity levels).

So where did this weeks little sessions get us to with Pegasus then?   All the paneling was finished last time around and now it was time to start on some finishing touches.  In the bar as mentioned previously, there are three chromed handrails to prevent inebriated passengers from falling out of the windows.  Unfortunately, when I came to drill the holes for the hand rails using the little jig that I made and surprisingly enough, hadn't lost, I came a cross a small problem.  The drills were too long to fit in the available space between the wall and the bar front.

P5300001.jpg

That led to some expletives  frustration  kicking the dog   innovative thinking and resourcefulness (of a sort).  I ended up snapping a drill bit and gluing a small styrene disc to the end to use as a sort of thumb-wheel - that allowed me to get the shortened drill into position and eventually get a semblance of some holes in the woodwork. Not fun.

The hand rails were made up from brass rod and I'm using the ruler here to verify that all three handrails are on the same plane.  Everything seemed good so the hand rails are now off chromed and waiting for the clear coat to cure.

P5300002.jpg

I also did a test fit of the first luggage rack.  While I think it looks okay, I also think it could do with the top rack being a tad longer and angling upwards slightly.  I've adjusted the model and the new version is ready for print.  Once I've printed those I'll do a side by side comparison to see what looks better.

P5300004.jpg

Remember the printed roof structure ?  Even though it wasn't correct and one broke into many pieces, they didn't go to waste.  I repurposed this bulkhead

P5310006.jpg

.. by sandwiching it between two sheets of styrene and this can now fit between the bathroom and the dinette. I'm using the other frame to ensure that I'm going to have clearance for the new roof when it's fitted

P5310007.jpg

And in a surprising stroke of luck, this bulkhead allows me to terminate the cistern pipework in a believable manner.  The wooden strips shall be painted white - well, not those strips as I decided they were too thick, but their replacements will be white.

P5310009.jpg

The the corridor wall got fitted and the sink added. All that's left now is a toilet roll holder, if I can remember to make one.

P5310010.jpg

All of which now brings us to this stage. All the paneling is complete and really only finishing touches to be added to the interior for the main part.  We're still missing a vestibule end and a few minor items.

P5310011.jpg

But before I get to that point I had to reverse a bit and flip her over. It's a long time since she's been belly up and I had a forest of cobwebs and an army of arachnids to re-home before continuing.  Quite amazing just how many cobwebs can appear over the years when you're not working in there.

Anyways, the reason for turning her over is that at some point, this is going to be fixed to some tracks which in turn will be fixed into a display case.  With surprising forethought I had actually built in a method by which this would be fixed, although in the intervening 6 years I had never got around to actually doing anything about it.  As I'm about to begin some fragile work that will be above side frame height, this was my last chance to be able to do something without having a possible wreckage on my hands.

You can just about make out a small bolt and nut in the middle of the bogies in this shot. That's what holds the bogies to the chassis - or at least it is in this build

P6040014.jpg

Removing the original machine screw which was holding the bogies in place, I replaced that with a small length of thread rod.  That thread rod was then locked in place with a slim nut, and on top of that I used coupling nuts - quite appropriate really.  Coupling? Trains? oh never mind.

P6030012.jpg

When the coupling nut is painted black it disappears into the background and is not really noticeable - and it allows me to thread in a bolt from under the tracks when I'm ready.

P6040018.jpg

While that was going on I made some blinds - Luckily when I painted the curtains I kept the excess paint in a pipette and stopped with a cocktail stick.  I find that paint can keep for some time in that fashion.

The blinds were fashioned from some sheet styrene, some small plastic rod, and I found some brass widgits on a scrap PE fret I had lying around which make reasonable blind handles/hooks/restraining thingies.

P6040015.jpg

The blinds then got fitted to the dinette/corridor wall - this is the view from the dinette side

P6040016.jpg

and the view from the corridor side. They pass muster

P6040017.jpg

Once Pegasus was back right side up, the Trianon bar sign (finally) got fixed in place, and in this shot I'm holding a section of cornicing along the top edge which is how it will be in it's finished state. - with the dust removed of course.

P6050026.jpg

The second vestibule end got fixed in place - a job I've been avoiding for months with no reasonable excuse as to why

P6050023.jpg

then just to finish up this evenings work, I dry fitted the dinette wall even tho' I know it fits and took a shot from outside. 

P6050022.jpg

I just know I'm never going to be able to get all the dust out of this thing.

Anyways, must dash and make some dinner - hopefully some more work to show over the weekend.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

13 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

For the next coach?

Mike.

You got there before me Mike. Mind you it has taken that long to read through the post and stare in amazement at the work that is going into this build.

Keith 

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

You got there before me Mike. Mind you it has taken that long to read through the post and stare in amazement at the work that is going into this build.

Keith 

I've been religiously keeping up, I don't want Mr Hendie to think he can be a slacker!!

Mike.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

For the next coach?

Sorry Mike - I don't think I have enough years left in me to try this again

11 hours ago, KeithHC said:

Thanks Keith - the problem is once you add a certain level of detail, you have no option but to continue the same level of detail everywhere else.  I think I shot myself in the foot there.

11 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I've been religiously keeping up, I don't want Mr Hendie to think he can be a slacker!!

Thanks Mike - I  wish I could keep up at times.  I feel sometimes that I need a little break from this, but it's so close to finishing I don't want to take a break in case it turns into one of those long ones that have interrupted this build at times

10 hours ago, sir douglas said:

sorry a what?

y'mean you don't know?

10 hours ago, KeithHC said:

Buford T Justices brother................

Keith

nope, no bananas there

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

A type of container used for storage. A common term before it fell out of use due to political correctness.

You nailed it Jason - it may have fallen out of use in the UK but here in the US it's still a common term. It's generically used for any pallet box/bin

2 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Wonder if there's any link to the containers and Gaylord Palms resort in Florida?

Maybe you drive in, and get shipped out in a box? :D

containers yes, resorts no, though I feel sometimes that it'd be better if someone just shoved me in a box and locked the lid

Work continues today but nothing much to show - just loads of those really time consuming little details that never end up being seen, but need done nonetheless.  I have a couple of days vacation this week so hoping to make some major progress  - we'll see

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I found some spare time on Sunday to bunker down in the basement for a few hours and get some more done.  I was looking forward to begin fitting at least some of the roof structure.  A last look over before I began and I realized that I hadn't yet fitted the cover strips between the walls and the ceiling partition.  There should be nice white strips going around the top edge of the bathroom here.

P6130001.jpg

I also spotted that as currently built, there were going to be elements of bare wood showing as well - seen here on the rear face of the dinette panel.  The cant rail is outboard of those panels and while it hides them to some extent it doesn't hide them completely.  This was something I never planned for as originally there was going to be a roof on this and therefore I never really gave it much thought... until now.

I quickly made up some cover strips for the bathroom and then carefully, very carefully painted the top edge and rear of all the wood panels with stain.

P6150008.jpg

It must have been one of those days for remembering things - just as I was about to start my new roofing career, I remembered the toilet roll!

I must have planned ahead for this at some point because as I ratched about in my Pegasus' boxes I came across one solitary "thingy" that I had turned on the lathe - I had even drilled a hole in it. Another ratch around found a small stainless steel rivet which worked to hang the toilet roll on. The toilet roll was simply a piece of styrene rod with a hole drilled though and then painted white.  Looks convincing enough though.

P6140003.jpg

Then fitted. Apologies for photo quality but the camera just didn't want to focus here. At least you can see it's there.

P6140007.jpg

A job I was quite concerned about was the fitting of the three chromed rails in the bar.  Fitting them was the easy part, but getting all three aligned was more of an issue.  Get that wrong and it was going to look like crap from outside - and I couldn't see that side as I was fitting them.  I finally got to turn Pegasus around and was pleased to find that the alignment seemed pretty good from outside. Not perfect, but certainly passable.

P6160016.jpg

After all that it was time to begin fitting the roof structure.  First on were the shear beams from vestibule rearwards using CA and TET. 

I had a little cutting and shutting to do with the first carline section - I found the ceiling partition was just a tad too tall, and interfered with the longitudinal Tee section forcing it to turn skywards.  That was easily rectified by filing two recesses for the Tee section to sit into. 

I designed the carline sections with a rectangular section just below, and offset from, the cant rail.  I have a 2 mm gap between the skin of the side frame and the rear face of the paneling, and that rectangular section slips in there nicely with the cant rail resting directly on top of the side frame. The carline section was glued in using GS-Hypo allowing me some time to gently position the carline section in place.

P6150009.jpg

Next up were the formers that shaped the compound curves of the roof ends.  This wasn't an easy task - 1.5 mm x 1.5 mm Tee section in very brittle plastic.  It was swipe gently with the file, test fit and repeat numerous times.  To be effective and not look out of place, the former must lie at the same height and level with the top of the carlines, and span between the end carline and the skin at the vestibule end.

This is the first one glued in place

P6150010.jpg

Finally, all four formers done and in place.  The two in the center run parallel with the longitudinal axis of the car, but the two formers outboard of them are slightly canted and angled in towards the two box sections either side of the gangway. From some angles they can look a bit weird, but that was the way we designed it - so that's the way it is.

P6150011.jpg

Convincing, no?

P6150012.jpg

Then a shot from the side just to check levels and squareness etc of the structures.  I'm happy with that.

P6150013.jpg

Next on the never ending list of things to do during Covid was to start adding the shear brackets and shear plates.  The three shear brackets that are fitted along the length of the outboard beam were straightforward, but there's also a vertical shear plate that connects inboard of that outer beam to the roof skin.  That was a little more challenging.

It was a case of trim a bit, try a bit to get the vertical portion of the shear plate - the awkward part of this operation was that there is a flange on top of that vertical shear plate and that flange is bent over and runs at the same angle as the roof... along a curve!.

To accomplish that I cut a wide strip and glued it long the straight top edge of the the shear plate. I held it at an appropriate angle while the TET dried. Then glued around the curve of the shear plate.   I ended up with a really wonky looking "T" shaped thing.   Once the TET had dried I trimmed it back with a sharp blade, then finished off with a sanding stick.

P6160014.jpg

Another one of those to make then I get to do this all over again at the other end... then figure out how to do the soft furnishings as they need to go in before I can finish the roof structure.  

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

It's really getting close now. Unfortunately that means that I'm now down to adding the finer details - all of which seem to take an inordinate amount of time to accomplish.  Take this ceiling partition for instance.

First of all, make the partition, file/sand it to shape. File notches for the Tee section to pass through. Cut holes for the vents etc. Oh - paint the vents too.  They have to be painted separately because in behind the vent is some brass mesh, so I painted the recess black to make the brass stand out. - Then fit the brass, then finally, fit the vent.

Can you even see the brass in there?

P6180017.jpg

I made things a bit difficult for myself by following the 1:1 in exact scale dimensions here.  That meant that the vent is just under 1 mm bigger than the hole it fits over - making it a real pits to align properly.  If I had thought ahead, I could have made a slightly bigger flange on the vent and no-one would be any the wiser.  

The first vestibule end was finished off. Formers in place and shear plates and shear brackets added. To say I'm a bit chuffed with this would be an understatement.

P6180018.jpg

I fixed the skewy former as well - looking much better now.

P6180019.jpg

Back up the other end, the first of the structure got fitted, and I finished off the mahogany trim strips in the corridor

P6180020.jpg

Ceiling trim strips got fitted in the bar area as well.

P6180022.jpg

And that pretty much finished off the bar fittings - all that was left was to add the two bench seats between the windows.  I wasn't sure what color the seats were but managed to find one shot on t'interweb that showed they were a vague sort of purple color with a very subtle pattern. I just went for plain color here but I think it blends in nicely. Nothing too obtrusive.

P6190024.jpg

Moving into the dining area, the new luggage racks got fitted (to one side so far).  The new racks look much better.  I elongated the top shelf by about 1.5 mm and added a slight rake upwards - this has made all the difference to the appearance.

P6190026.jpg

Very pleased with those.

P6190027.jpg

I threw some roof sections in place just to see what the overall effect would be. I think it's going to be stunning when finished.  I just need to keep the momentum going.

P6190028.jpg

I tried to get a shot with the ceiling partition and vent in place but the camera wasn't happy focusing to that depth.

P6190033.jpg

The overall state of play at this afternoons break was this

P6190037.jpg

I've even started putting some thought towards the separate roof.  I printed off some fixtures that I think will help a lot with the roof.  I'll be using 6 mm diameter brass rod to keep all the sections aligned

P6190030.jpg

And for the roof itself I think I am going to go with bass wood strips - easy to cut and sand.  This is just early days though and really just testing the concept out.

P6190031.jpg

I find it hard to believe that after so long the end is almost in sight.  The one main hurdle I still have left is the soft furnishings - the chairs!  They have rather a complex leaf pattern on the fabric which caused me some sleepless nights in the past, but I think I now have a solution so stay tuned folks.

I really must put some more time into designing the display case as I'll need to think about getting one made very soon. Eek!

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10

9 hours ago, hendie said:

It's really getting close now. Unfortunately that means that I'm now down to adding the finer details - all of which seem to take an inordinate amount of time to accomplish.  Take this ceiling partition for instance.

First of all, make the partition, file/sand it to shape. File notches for the Tee section to pass through. Cut holes for the vents etc. Oh - paint the vents too.  They have to be painted separately because in behind the vent is some brass mesh, so I painted the recess black to make the brass stand out. - Then fit the brass, then finally, fit the vent.

Can you even see the brass in there?

P6180017.jpg

I made things a bit difficult for myself by following the 1:1 in exact scale dimensions here.  That meant that the vent is just under 1 mm bigger than the hole it fits over - making it a real pits to align properly.  If I had thought ahead, I could have made a slightly bigger flange on the vent and no-one would be any the wiser.  

The first vestibule end was finished off. Formers in place and shear plates and shear brackets added. To say I'm a bit chuffed with this would be an understatement.

P6180018.jpg

I fixed the skewy former as well - looking much better now.

P6180019.jpg

Back up the other end, the first of the structure got fitted, and I finished off the mahogany trim strips in the corridor

P6180020.jpg

Ceiling trim strips got fitted in the bar area as well.

P6180022.jpg

And that pretty much finished off the bar fittings - all that was left was to add the two bench seats between the windows.  I wasn't sure what color the seats were but managed to find one shot on t'interweb that showed they were a vague sort of purple color with a very subtle pattern. I just went for plain color here but I think it blends in nicely. Nothing too obtrusive.

P6190024.jpg

Moving into the dining area, the new luggage racks got fitted (to one side so far).  The new racks look much better.  I elongated the top shelf by about 1.5 mm and added a slight rake upwards - this has made all the difference to the appearance.

P6190026.jpg

Very pleased with those.

P6190027.jpg

I threw some roof sections in place just to see what the overall effect would be. I think it's going to be stunning when finished.  I just need to keep the momentum going.

P6190028.jpg

I tried to get a shot with the ceiling partition and vent in place but the camera wasn't happy focusing to that depth.

P6190033.jpg

The overall state of play at this afternoons break was this

P6190037.jpg

I've even started putting some thought towards the separate roof.  I printed off some fixtures that I think will help a lot with the roof.  I'll be using 6 mm diameter brass rod to keep all the sections aligned

P6190030.jpg

And for the roof itself I think I am going to go with bass wood strips - easy to cut and sand.  This is just early days though and really just testing the concept out.

P6190031.jpg

I find it hard to believe that after so long the end is almost in sight.  The one main hurdle I still have left is the soft furnishings - the chairs!  They have rather a complex leaf pattern on the fabric which caused me some sleepless nights in the past, but I think I now have a solution so stay tuned folks.

I really must put some more time into designing the display case as I'll need to think about getting one made very soon. Eek!

Are you doing the axle boxes?

Mark

5 hours ago, Mark said:

Are you doing the axle boxes?

Like these ?    The axles boxes have been sitting in a container for years. 

That was one of those easy peasy jobs that was so easy I left them to concentrate on other items.

I'll get around to it as the remaining jobs get knocked off the list

P1210004.jpg&key=03f3bde384c3ebcbb81a804

• Like 5