1951 Pullman Scratchbuild in 1/32

hendie

You should be able to spin those wheels in an electric drill and reduce the flanges with a file, just take care and wear eye protection, you may be able to reduce the tread width a bit as well.

Regards

Grovenor - I'm in the process of saving up for a mini lathe and hope to have that in the next month or so.  Once I get some practice in with the lathe I'll try adn reduce teh flanges on those wheels - thanks for the suggestion.

So, pending major surgery later this week when the tracks are scheduled to arrive, I pottered about and looked to see what else I could do which I wouldn't have to undo later if indeed I need to butcher the bogie (<== that sounds kind of "iffy" - doesn't it?)

Suspension ! That's what I could do. Well, finish off what I had started yesterday that is, so I got the last 4 mounting points fitted - then had to figure out what to use for the leaf springs.....

P3260002.JPG

After some thought (but not much!) I figured this was the way to go. Because of the brass frame inside the bogie, there is not enough room for full leaf springs - but each end of the springs can be seen, so I just need to give the visual impression of leaf springs, so, some curvy styrene strips were glued together, after first rounding the edge so that each leaf looks separate and it doesn't look like a single block of styrene once it's all done.

P3260003.JPG

Then the base of the strips were sanded flat like so...

P3270008.JPG

.. so that when fitted to the bogie, it looked like this. I think it gives a good enough impression of leaf springs - bear in mind that everything is going to be painted black and a bit weathered by the time it is finished. I don't think anyone will know the difference.

P3260004.JPG

All 4 springs done.

P3270009.JPG

That was followed by what I think is the last bit of riveting on the frames - the corner pieces.

P3270012.JPG

Then today's little adventure finished up by adding the corner suspension blocks on the underside of the bogie, along with some big resin nuts and washers.

P3270013.JPG

I think this one is almost ready for another coat of primer, but I'll wait until the top side surgery is completed before hitting it with any paint.

I know there is still plenty to do here - brakes and such but I need the wheels and axles fitted before that

at least it's moving forward.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Ah... the weekend! The time when all work stops and you get time to relax, sit back, kick off the shoes, and just soak in the pleasant atmosphere. The atmosphere here being full of me cutting the grass and getting all the strimmers (weedwackers to our US cousins) etc. and other garden tools in order because all my neighbors had cut their grass' last week, leaving our lawn looking like the Clampetts of the neighborhood once again.

I also found my first snake of the season, a cute little reptile he was too, only about 7 or 8 inches long, all curled up halfway up a door jamb. Of course, I showed him to SWMBO but he didn't like her much 'cos he kept sticking his tongue out at her. He's now safely ensconced under the garden shed enjoying all the bugs that decided to winter vacation under there.

During the week, the section of track I ordered arrived, so it was time to see how this beasty looked in it's natural habitat. (s'a bit difficult to see properly here because of all the background clutter)

P3280002.JPG

Well, it almost looks fine, but on closer inspection, I wasn't completely happy with the overall ride height. Now I'm not sure what it's supposed to be but going by my photo references, it looked a tad too high (bogie too far from the chassis)... maybe only a 1/16th or so, but it wasn't going to leave me any room to adjust later. The axles should end up being approximately halfway up/down in the cutouts.

P3280003.JPG

So.. off with their heads! It's much easier to build things up later than try to shave things off once it's all together. It also gave me a chance to try out my new rotary tool - $20 from Amazon, complete with flexi-drive.... bargain!

P3290004.JPG

I ended up replacing my first attempt at the bolster with a smaller section of brass channel. - It doesn't look pretty but it is functional. I was a bit wary of attacking this one with heat with all the styrene so close, and I ended up using epoxy glue to secure things in place.

P4020009.JPG

The observant will notice that I have also added a couple of new pieces of channel just inside the wheels - while checking references I found that there is a number of gubbinses hanging off the inside of the bogies and I needed some structure to hang aforementioned gubbinses off.
Of course, the channel I selected to use interfered with the axles, so I whacked a chunk out of the channel like so. - it doesn't need to be strong - it just needs to be 'there' so I can mount things from it.

P4020008.JPG

That also gave me an excuse to use my other new tool - well, it's a couple of months old now but I've never had occasion to use it until now. It certainly makes cutting brass channel a lot easier and faster. I'm not sure how long the blades will last cutting brass so I'd best order some replacements just to be on the safe side.

P4030011.JPG

I also made a start on the second bogie - bringing it up to the same build level as the first bogie before I go too far ahead.

P4030012.JPG

This is some of the stuff I'll be hanging from the new beams. The two brackets on the left are some kind of retainer/protection for the brake assembly. The two brackets on the right I'm not sure about... a PDF I found on t'interwebby states that these are mounted on the bogie end beams but none of my reference photo's show these brackets. Can anyone confirm if they were indeed fitted to Gresley's ?

P4030013.JPG

I need to figure out the brake assembly a bit more before I go ahead and fit those parts. I don't want to paint myself into a corner and find that I can't fit parts because other stuff is in the way.

Side frames being attached to bogie number 2. now that all the soldering has been done (I hope!)

P4030016.JPG

Bolster plates were also finished off (drilled and tapped), all that's left is to attach the nut on the reverse face.

P3310007.JPG

I also started making up some pipe runs for all the plumbing - still lots to go though. Pipes, tanks, reservoirs and loads of other stuff I know absolutely nothing about.

P3190007.JPG

I also started making up the suspension springs from stainless steel wire. The coils need closed up a touch but otherwise these are fine. I did toy with the idea of fitting them to the bogies just now but it's going to be difficult enough to paint without these being in the way. - Since they'll be a different color from the bogie, I thought I would leave them out, paint separately then add later (probably with much difficulty!)

P3270001.JPG

Then I finished off today's little adventure with priming bogie number 1. and seeing this photo, I just realized that I have left off the nuts and bolts from the suspension brackets though they're easy to add later.

P4030014.JPG

Overall, I'm pretty... actually, very pleased with the way the bogie has turned out particularly since it's 100% scratch built. - My thanks to everyone who provided input and information on bogie dimensions - that really helped me get going with these.

What next ? I think I need to make a start on the axle boxes soon as I need to those in order to be able to position the wheels/axles relative to the bogie.... once I figure out how it's all going to attach together.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Well, it almost looks fine, but on closer inspection, I wasn't completely happy with the overall ride height. Now I'm not sure what it's supposed to be but going by my photo references, it looked a tad too high (bogie too far from the chassis)... maybe only a 1/16th or so, but it wasn't going to leave me any room to adjust later. The axles should end up being approximately halfway up/down in the cutouts.

[...]

What next ? I think I need to make a start on the axle boxes soon as I need to those in order to be able to position the wheels/axles relative to the bogie.... once I figure out how it's all going to attach together.

I have a GA of the 8'-0" single bolster version. The dimension given from rail head to the top of the sideframe above the axleboxes is 2'-11".

The Nim.

Things are creeping along slowly. I'm working away on bogie number 2 bringing it up to the same level of build as bogie number 1 - no need to bore you with photo's of that.

I am breaking up the monotony of repeating that part of the build by working on other areas, one of which was the dynamo pulley wheel. Some styrene discs were cut and added to the axle

P4030001.JPG

and when thrown together with some glue, they provide a passable pulley wheel.

P4040002.JPG

One of the other items I attacked this week was a tank that I spotted on photo's... thankfully I had a drawing of it and could get dimensions - the only problem being that I had no materials of the right dimensions to hand.

After searching fruitlessly for half an evening, I came up with a crazy idea.... I noted that the bulb on these pipettes were the right diameter (or close enough)... that was enough for me !! I cut one of the bulbs from the pipette, but it was a bit flimsy and being designed to be easily squeezed, it lost its shape quite easily too - I needed something to give it a bit of strength.

Getting dafter by the minute, a layer of masking tape around the outside of the bulb made it a nice snug fit inside a 1/2 inch punch - which also held it upright, as well as holding the circular shape.

The open bulb was then filled with resin.

P4050004.JPG

Once the resin has cured, I removed the bulb and wrapped the core in a layer of thin styrene.

P4060005.JPG

Then a couple of layers of thicker styrene were added to each end. I then started rounding off the ends on my disc sander

P4060006.JPG

Once I started removing skin from the end of my fingertips, I switched to hand filing, then finished off the profiling in the pillar drill. Brackets were added as well as some brass tubing to represent the tank connections.

P4070007.JPG

Now, I am not sure if my next idea is going to work or not but I thought it was worth a try.... nothing ventured and all that.

Axle boxes... 8 of them ! I really don't want to have to make 8 of the same thing if I can help it, so I am going to try another bit of resin casting - provided I can make a decent master.

This is the beginning of the axle box - some styrene backing plates, a steel washer, and some styrene tube stuck on the front of it all

P4080008.JPG

We'll see how that turns out when I get some more time put into it.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

well, here goes for a small update.

The silicon mold turned out fine, capturing all the details as needed (as silicon always does)

P4100001.JPG

And the resin part turned out fine. Here I just painted up one of the axle boxes (very roughly) to see what it looked like in situ. It looks okay but because of the small wall thickness of the resin, I was afraid that, over time, it may collapse - given that all the weight of the chassis and body will essentially be sitting on these axle boxes.

P4160006.JPG

So I'm starting a production line of axle boxes in sheet styrene, which is going to take a while but at least they'll be solid enough to support the weight of the train when finished.

P4130003.JPG

The second bogie is almost up to the same build state as bogie number one.... just the suspension mounts to ad on the underside

P4160004.JPG

I spent an awful lot of time this week trying to figure out how to attach the wheels to the bogie, going through 3 or 4 design iterations. This was the best that I came up with. The design incorporates a small piece of tube with some brass rod bent around it in a "U" shape then soldered to the tube.
I drilled a couple of receiving holes in some test channel, then drilled and tapped for a 2-56 screw which then screws down onto the brass tube. - I had to add a small portion of styrene sheet inside the channel as there wasn't enough wall thickness in the channel to provide enough depth for tapping the threads.

P4120001.JPG

My thoughts behind this design were that the 2 upright rods hold the tube in position, then the 2-56 screw can be adjusted to suit the ride height of the axle boxes/wheels relative to the bogies. A small dab of superglue on the rods once the ride height is established would be strong enough to hold everything in the correct position.

This is all well and good, but it's going to be a nightmare to retrofit the bogies to accept this design - and because of all the gubbins already on the bogies, I'm not sure how accurate I can get the hole positions. So I am now giving this a few days of mulling over... the other option is to go with the styrene axle boxes to position everything. I end up with a thickness of around 3 mm of styrene and since this is a static model, I think that may be enough to support the carriage when finished. I need a few days to think this all through.

Then a couple of evenings were spent making this motor/generator looking thingy. Basically, some brass tube, styrene tube and a couple of bits and bobs including some a piece of scrap runner

P4160005.JPG

... and that's been the sum of my work over the last week or so. As I said, not much visual progress, but getting bogie number two up to this level was important (before I lost my mojo)

...more to come.... eventually...

• Like 8

where did you get your powered chopper from?

Ian G

Ian, I got it from Amazon for about $20 (I'm based in the USA).  I'm not sure if they're available in the UK but I'd imagine there's something similar available

• 8 months later...

No, this thread is not dead - I'm just a it slow at following up, and I had to finish off another model before getting my head back into this one.

A bit more work was done on the bogies, adding suspension springs

PC040008.jpg

The springs were made by the simple process of wrapping some stainless steel wire around a screw of the appropriate size.

PC040007.jpg

Then the springs were cut down to size and fitted in place, and when seen from the outside, look perfectly passable.

PC040010.jpg

Work was then started on the brake mechanism o the underside of the chassis using styrene sheet, and whatever else came to hand

PC110006.jpg

Brake valve and support frames

PC140001.jpg

and it's all starting to take shape.

PC170004.jpg

It was a bit fiddly to get all the levers and rods in place, but after a few hours work, things are looking good.

PC220003.jpg

Now all the structure is in place, the parts just need trimming - and duplicated for the other side of course.

PC230001.jpg

To break the monotony, I started work on some of the internal fittings. Luckily, one of my friends has a automatic cutter which he lent me - so I started producing shapes for the bar

PC280003.jpg

main structure now built

PC280004.jpg

then faced with styrene sheet. The final facing will be birds eye maple - once I figure out how to replicate that in scale

PC280007.jpg

Now, to bring you quickly up to date. Work has been continuing on the bogies, in particular, the components needed for the brake assemblies

P1080006.jpg

The brake valve was hung underneath, looking suitably grubby, then some hydraulic hoses were added using scraps of wire

P1080011.jpg

Lastly, a close up of some of the brake components

P1080008.jpg

Sorry it's taken so long for an update but I was stuck with the "pizza" cutter wheels as someone put it earlier.  I did try chucking them up in my pillar drill and turning them down with a file, but it ended badly, and I wasn't happy with the result.

I just took delivery of a mini lathe this morning so within the next few weeks, I hope to have a decent set of wheels to start assembling these bogies with

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Oh what a saga these wheels have been. 

Turning the wheels down o the lathe was fairly easy, even for a cludge like me.  Painting them was a different matter.

I decided to try a different route in painting from the method I used before. - I hadn't finished all 4 sets of wheels so decided to do the entire lot at the same time.  I began by giving them a coat of etch primer - which then decided to play up on me by cracking in certain areas.  My fault I think - I used a rattle can and it went on a bit thick

P1150007.jpg

So, all the cracks were sanded back and I gave all the wheels a coat of satin white. No masking - just white all over the things.  Then I tried my crazy method of masking.... I laid out some masking tape on my cutting mat, and used a circle cutter to cut a disc the same as the OD of the white.  It took me a few attempts and quite a bit of masking tape to get the diameter right, but once I was there, it was easy. The masking disc was then placed over the wheels and the wheels sprayed black.

P1190008.jpg

Of course, this meant that the inner section of the wheels were still white, so using the circle cutter, I cut some more discs - this time the ID of the white section. These were a lot more difficult to place but I soon got into a rhythm of sorts.

P1200009.jpg

With the white section of the wheels now masked off, I sprayed black again.... leaving a nice white ring around the wheels.

P1200010.jpg

Okay, they're not perfect, but neither are the one on the 1:1 - it's a train isn't it ?  

There's been a little bit of bleed here and there, but once the paint hardens I think I can toothpick the stuff off fairly easily.  And considering you only see about 30% of the wheel, if there are any poor areas, they'll get placed behind the bogie frame so you can't see them !

I hope to get that all done tomorrow, and then get a clear coat on them for protection.  When that is done, I can then start assembling the bogies at long last.  It's only been what ? two years or so!

... and the lathe people are playing silly beggars now.  So I may have to return the lathe for a replacement. If they want to pay shipping for sending a 90 lb package all the way across the USA twice, that's fine by me - I got the wheels done so I can live without the lathe for a few weeks (even although it's a lot of fun!)

• Like 5

Well, things went pretty good today, or at least they have so far.  The wheels cleaned up nicely, or nice enough, so they were then given a coat of Alclad clear matt which went on nicely and provided a nice, and hopefully tough finish.

P1210002.jpg

Then came the moment of truth, a real milestone in the build.... it was time to fit the wheels permanently!

Paint was scraped off the inside of the bogies so that the axle boxes were being glued to the brass frame, and not just to a skin of paint.  I used E6000 glue which I am really coming to love. It grabs within a few minutes, leaving plenty of time for positioning, and when cured it seems to be very strong, but it is also very flexible.  Obviously, that's not good for every job, but there are times that comes in handy.

Anyhoos, I slabbered some glue on the inside of the bogies, then gently placed each set of wheels in place and pressed them home once satisfied with the position.

Here, we now have two sets of bogies, all ready to go... well, at least ready to roll. While it's a milestone, there's still quite a bot to do before the bogies are truly complete

P1210003.jpg

The little bit of wheel left protruding through the axles box will be covered with these little caps - these are just pushed on for effect. They'll get fitted later.

P1210004.jpg

Shown in a slightly better light in this shot. With all the handling and footering about, there's a few places of touch up needed, but overall, I'm very pleased with the way these have turned out.

P1210005.jpg

Now the wheels are on I can begin to fit the brake assemblies. The resin brake pads I cast earlier can clearly be seen here. It looks like my frames are a bit oversize.  I can get them to fit so I'll have a think about whether to remake them a bit smaller or not - as when everything is the right way up, very little can actually be seen.

P1210006.jpg

For example, from the side, this is as much of the brake assemblies as you are going to see. - 1/2 a brake pad !

P1210008.jpg

So, good progress today, but now the family chores need seen to default_angry.png

• Like 5

There was limited time available today in between house chores and being a taxi driver for the daughter. Still, we take what we can get, don't we ?

Apologies for the rather blurry photo but here we have, (except for paint) a brake assembly, complete with hanger brackets and wotnots.  Each one of these little blighters is made up of 18 separate components - I really must count up how many individual components there are in one complete bogie some day. I reckon there's at least 200 parts in there.

P1220001.jpg

This shot gives a better view of how it all fits in there.

P1220002.jpg

I still have to add a couple of blocks for the hanger brackets to attach to but that's easy peasy.

Then I realized that I have only made enough frames to hang brake blocks on the outside ends of each bogie. 'doh!  I need to make another 4 frames to hang the brakes on the wheels towards the center of the bogie. Still, It should take too long now that I have a rough idea of what I'm doing.

A quick coat of paint and voila..... well, dry fitted 'cos I couldn't wait to see what it looked like.  I let the camera have a little flash to keep it happy and try and bring out the detail a bit.

P1220004.jpg

I think I'll need to do something to break up the monotonous black tones in there. Some weathering wouldn't go amiss on the brake blocks and the frame supporting them.

I think I'm beginning to get fed up saying "at least I'll know it's in there"!  default_biggrin.png

• Like 4

It's done !  They're done ! Finally ! After several years in the making, the bogies are to all intents and purposes, complete.   A momentous milestone moment to be savored and relished.

So prepare thyself for a plethora of unnecessary photo's, most of which look the same, and in most of which you won't really be able to tell what's going on, but after this amount of time working on these little blighters, I feel justified in bending the bandwidth to show off the results.  It's more black on black, with a dark background in a shady place with poor lighting but what the heck.....

Here we have all the brake blocks in place. It's not my best work, but it works nonetheless.

P1250005.jpg

Then we have some sort of bracket, I'm assuming this is a safety thing, to prevent the brake assembly falling orf and hitting the rails. These are the trial parts to make sure they actually fit before I go off and make 16 of them, then find out I got the dimensions wrong somewhere along the line.

P1250007.jpg

All support hardware now in place, stuck firmly, and painted ehrrr... black.

P1250016.jpg

A view from the top...

P1250018.jpg

There's a little bit of touch up required here and there, but overall, not too shabby. At least the touch ups will be easy. - Like this little rivet which got bashed in all the handling. Actually, I'm surprised there isn't a lot more touch up required.

P1250019.jpg

I couldn't resist a dry fit to get an overall view of the carriage.  Unfortunately, it's so large, that to get the entire chassis in the picture, you can't really see the detail.  Though you can easily see the mess under my workbench.

P1250010.jpg

So, here we are... over 400 individual parts all stuck together. The only parts in the entire assembly which have not been scratch built are the wheels - and they were modified slightly!

P1250020.jpg

and just because I took the photo, here's a square on shot from the side.

P1250021.jpg

It looks quite impressive from this angle though

P1250009.jpg

.. and equally impressive from t'other end. (and why would it not). It will probably look even better once I remove all the dust.

P1250013.jpg

The ride height is probably a little high but not so much that anyone would notice (I hope). Also, I think the top line of the bogie isn't quite parallel with the underside of the chassis, but I won't tell if you don't.

P1250008.jpg

So now I need to find something else to be getting on with, so I found a relatively easy job to ease me back in again... the buffer mounts.  I had originally bought some brass buffers from somewhere, intending to use those, but just last week, I finally found a photo of the real thing showing the chassis ends, and then noticed that the buffer mount on Pegasus wasn't a nice machined casting - it was a very rough looking casting held in place by 4 bolts. So I made one up from styrene, milliput and some Meng bolt heads.  These close up shots don't do it any favors but once it's painted black along with everything else, it will disappear into the chassis. I'll make a mold from this master and cast the four that I need.

P1250014.jpg

Then while posting all these photo's, I realized there is one final thing to be done to complete the bogies.... there's two support plates on the top of each side that are painted white on the 1:1

What a relief !   At least I don't have to make anything else for them, it's just open a pot of white paint and have at it.

There's still a few bits and bobs to be added to the underside, the biggest part being the generator... sounds like a job for the lathe !

• Like 2

Judging by some of the work I've seen on this site, I'm still a beginner.  (but thanks!)

The superstructure is posing a bit of a problem.  I managed to get a loaner automatic cutter from my friend, and cut the side skins.... about a dozen times.  Each time I cut a set something would go wrong - either the styrene would slip in the machine, or it would mess up the radius in teh corner of the windows.

I did manage to get what I thought was a decent set - glued all the support structure behind it, and go as far as spraying a coat of primer before I realized that the windows weren't parallel to the top and bottom of the skin.  They were out by about 0.5 mm at one end.  It wasn't really noticeable, but once I found it.... more scrap!

I'm going to have a go at cutting them manually, and if I mess that up, laser cutting is a last resort.

On the plus side, I managed to get the basics of the generator done on the lathe today and am pretty pleased with how it came out, considering that I only have a few cutting tools to work with. - I can see this lathe business becoming expensive.

oh ! and I just spotted that I have still to add a crossbar below the axle boxes at the bottom of the wheel openings argghh.  Oh well, at least that addition will be quick

Edited by hendie
  • Like 1

Thanks Chris.   The spring method was pretty easy and useful as it can be adapted to almost any scale. All you need is wire of the correct diameter and a suitable screw.

I used stainless steel wire for the rigidity, and wrapped it as tightly as I could around the screw.  Once wrapped, it rotated off the screw thread easily. I then snipped the "spring" to an appropriate length, flattened the ends on my disc sander then compressed the "spring" in a pair of pliers as the thread pitch was a bit large.  A simple and repeatable process.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The majority of the underside is almost done (I think) but one of the major items remaining is the dynamo.

Guess who found another opportunity to use my new lathe ?   - Creating the main body was simple - creating the rounded end was a bit more problematic as I don't (yet) have a radius turning tool, so that was created the old fashioned way by using a file on the end of the rod while it was still turning in the lathe.

My first effort is on the right - it was so easy to do, that I made another, after I realized that the body should have a thicker section where the linkage is mounted.  After that was done, I added a styrene pyramid thingy on top to act as the mounting block

P1270002.jpg

Which was then drilled through

P1270003.jpg

and the hole opened out so that I can poke a bit of brass tube in there.  A big humongous bracket will then fit over that, which in turn will be fixed to the chassis.

P1270004.jpg

Today's task was to remove the plastic in the middle of the pyramid/triangally thing, leaving two substantial brackets for hanging the dynamo off the underside.  After that was complete, I knocked up a small junction box (which is kind of difficult to see clearly at this angle) and fixed that in position. I add 3 Meng nuts to the junction box, which were then drilled out and they will act as glands for the wiring later. - and more Meng bits can be seen on the face of the dynamo - handy stuff that Meng bits 'n' bolts.

P2050005.jpg

More bracketry was made up to hang the dynamo.  The styrene has started to crack on the top right of this bracket, but I added some styrene soup to the gap as I left this evening and will sand it all back to shape when hardened.  (This was about my 4th bracket and I couldn't be bothered to remake when this one could be fixed so easily).

And if you squint, you can just about see another Meng nut and bolt set on each end of the rod in the middle of this arrangement.

P2050006.jpg

Then the last task for this evening was to make a couple of brackets to hold the brackets that hold the brackets that the brackets on the dynamo swings from.  This time it was a bit more fun as these brackets are mounted directly to a cross member on the chassis, and transition through 90° to accept a long through bolt. 

The brackets were made by holding the styrene in front of a heat gun for a few seconds at a time and gently twisted the styrene between my fingers until I got it twisted through 90°.

Then it was a simple case of drilling the brackets to accept the rod.

P2050007.jpg

As yet, I have not offered any of this up to the chassis so I could well be remaking one or more bits of this in order to get it all to fit together.

• Like 7

Not much to report this evening, but things continue to progress.  The dynamo was given a coat of alclad primer, and offered up to the chassis. - And whaddya know... it looks as though everything is going to line up - i.e. the dynamo pulley is in line with the pulley on the bogie wheels.

Being really honest, this is much more down to sheer luck than any form of judgement. However, I'm grateful for small mercies.   I'll take it !   The main brackets were fixed on with E6000, along with a couple of Meng bolt heads to add that extra industrial look.

P2070004.jpg

The dynamo was then given a coat of aircraft interior black to add an additional shade to the 40 shades of black that adorn the chassis structure.

P2070010.jpg

And when viewed from the right way up, it's almost convincing !

P2070008.jpg

There's still some cables to be added along with an electrical junction box, followed by the angle iron bracket that holds the dynamo at a fixed distance from the bogie. I'll need to have a look around for something that will work as the pulley belt.

Oh, and I need to find/source/add a chain that gets attached from the chassis to the dynamo, which is some kind of safety feature I guess - though if the dynamo fell off, I don't see a chain holding it for long.

I should really start thinking about getting rid of all the dust that's collecting on the chassis and getting some kind of protective cover for it while I'm not actually working on it

• Like 3