7mm Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Project; Currently Paused

Indomitable026

We are about to go on a Lynton & Barnstaple Railway journey

Aided by some very good friends, the odd beer, occasional pie and some top banter I'm about to embark on a project to build a part of the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway.

I've no idea where we'll end up but like everything we've built over the years we're bound to have a good laugh along the way....

See you there.

Oh, and if it serves to promote the rebuild of the original line that closed in the 1930,s - all the better. Now that really is something worth while!

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Would you like an invitation to the 7mm Narrow Gauge Assn Exhibition at Burton Town Hall, June next year, or the year after, or the year after that . . . . ??

Always on the lookout for quality 7mmNG layouts and I have no doubt that's what this will be.

Mike

Would you like an invitation to the 7mm Narrow Gauge Assn Exhibition at Burton Town Hall, June next year, or the year after, or the year after that . . . . ??

Always on the lookout for quality 7mmNG layouts and I have no doubt that's what this will be.

Mike

Mike,

That's very nice of you, yes one June would be fine.

Call me old fashioned though, if you don't mind, I'll finish the plan first...

• Like 2

So, this is where my current thought process has got me..

post-8734-0-91886300-1440922847_thumb.jpg

Not too high tech I know. I've photo copied a section of track that I'd previously built and then cut the copies out to represent S&C and plain line.

The overall scenic length is currently 16 ft, with the width near on 4 ft. There are two rows of boards. Boards are nominally 4 ft by 2 ft.

The layout will be a complete circuit with fiddle yard at the back using a minimum of 3 ft radius curves.

• Like 6

Will it be operated from the middle, or will the circuit be a dog-bone shape and use some of the 4ft width as the fiddle yard ?

Just a straight forward roundy roundy with a hole in the middle. Not sure where it will be operated from but I'll probably make provision in different places, I.e. in the middle, out front, down the sides and out back to give the maximum flexibility at shows.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Nice work so far D !

Are you modelling a particular station (Bratton Fleming etc) ?

Can I book you for our show 2016 / 2017 ?

The points using the jigs will look the part as the L&B used quite 'heavy' rail. Would be worth having a look Zamzoodled website for the chopper couplings which are extremely nice and these can be DCC operated.

Also, KBScale make L&B chairs - http://www.kbscale.com/track-parts.html

Nice work so far D !

Are you modelling a particular station (Bratton Fleming etc) ?

Can I book you for our show 2016 / 2017 ?

The points using the jigs will look the part as the L&B used quite 'heavy' rail. Would be worth having a look Zamzoodled website for the chopper couplings which are extremely nice and these can be DCC operated.

Also, KBScale make L&B chairs - http://www.kbscale.com/track-parts.html

Yes, its Bratton.

I've seen those couplers they are gorgeous and we will be using them if they are available.

Yes would love to do a Barnstaple show some time in the future...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, its Bratton.

I've seen those couplers they are gorgeous and we will be using them if they are available.

Yes would love to do a Barnstaple show some time in the future...

I thought that this may be Bratton.

A lovely little station, now a private home, so can't get very close for photos. I've mountain biked nearby in the past and the route bypasses the station area and then picks up the old track bed a little further round.

When we get a decent day (weather), then I'll take a drive out there again.

I thought that this may be Bratton.

A lovely little station, now a private home, so can't get very close for photos. I've mountain biked nearby in the past and the route bypasses the station area and then picks up the old track bed a little further round.

When we get a decent day (weather), then I'll take a drive out there again.

I'd really appreciate that, especially things like stone patterns and colours, also photos from a distance showing the overall scene on the side of the hill.

How bossy is that?

Thanks mate.

I've placed a representation of the Station Building and wooden shed adjacent to the good roads. Compromise already required, only enough room for half the length of shed and moved to adjacent to the second track, in reality it was adjacent to track one and end on to track two.

post-8734-0-29057700-1440932626_thumb.jpg

Its probably looking a bit front heavy in this area, however the theory is that the main lines are roughly in the middle of the overall scene with scenery either side giving a railway in a landscape. The main platform sits the other side of the baseboard joint to the main track with the station building beyond.

• Like 5

Here I'm estimating the curve on the right hand end of the layout. The tape is set a 3 ft radius. I've positioned the base of the tape at the centre of the radius, if you're careful you can then use it to scroll round a radius. Mark it every couple of inches and then join up every other mark, the lines overlap and give you reasonable approximation of the curve.

post-8734-0-94255400-1440934702_thumb.jpg

post-8734-0-35454800-1440934934_thumb.jpg

I'm also quite happy at the angle the track is crossing the board join. I was initially concerned it may be a little shallow, however having moved the joint back 6 inches this has resolved the issue.

Further, the railway is on a small embankment this end of the layout with a road going underneath. Further up the original line I believe their was a concrete trough aqueduct over the top of the line - I may use this as a scenic brake.

• Like 2