7mm Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Project; Currently Paused

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold

Remiss of me I know but I have only just caught up with this thread!

My enthusiasm for things L&B have recently had a bit of a boost which they really needed as they were at an all time low.

First thing that did it was taking Blanche to Woody Bay  (Me, Annie and the other woman)

post-2660-0-31977500-1447080674.jpg

and as well as looking after Blanche having a go with the natives

post-2660-0-14416000-1447080729.jpg

I was there from unloading Blanche on the Thursday through to the Tuesday and became hooked on the place  (and the paperwork for becoming an L&B Driver is currently sat on my desk)

The second thing that got me was that only two weeks later I was in North Wales and a comment made to the roster clerk back in July came home to roost.

I spent four days with this as my engine

post-2660-0-03243700-1447080898.jpg

Previously I had only driven it as an oil burner (its was crap) and as a newly converted coal burner (it was still crap) and then only for one day at a time and once in a blue moon. The thing in July that came home to roost was a comment that pretty much theorised that in driving it once in a blue moon you never got in to a routine and an offer by me and my regular fireman to have it for the week. Sadly, it was broken and we had to `make do' have Linda for the week  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:    but the offer was remembered. It didn't start well as on the first day Mr Adhesion took a holiday and we had one hell of a slippery trip and actually stuck on Tylers curve when the over long wheelbase grinding into the curve was the final straw.  I think now its fair to say Lyd and I have reached an understanding, its still an out of place misfit but I enjoyed my four days on it.

Whilst at Woody Bay Annie took this video from the footplate of Blanche. It was her first go using a tablet for video but you might enjoy it.

Footplate Video    (this may not work for all as its a FaceBook video)

The route is easy learn, its flat out of Killington Lane but as you clear the points its very up as far as the trees from where its only slightly less up until easing for the crossover in to Woody Bay platform which is flat (ish)

I have a couple of things to chip in for now......

Firstly, you are aware that the current contents of Woody Bay signal cabin has more levers than it originally had? I think its 9 now but was 7. They added some shunt signals that wouldn't have been there originally. I may have the numbers wrong but I do know it was a bu@@er to do as I was told the tale of doing it in the beer tent.

Secondly, the EDM Models Manning Wardle kits may not be as long as you think before they're released. The first test chassis is running albeit with some printed parts that will be castings in the finished job. My enthusiasm for getting these done has been rekindled but the issue now is fitting them in around all the other committed work.

• Like 7

Remiss of me I know but I have only just caught up with this thread!

My enthusiasm for things L&B have recently had a bit of a boost which they really needed as they were at an all time low.

First thing that did it was taking Blanche to Woody Bay  (Me, Annie and the other woman)

attachicon.gifWB1.jpg

and as well as looking after Blanche having a go with the natives

attachicon.gifWB2.jpg

I was there from unloading Blanche on the Thursday through to the Tuesday and became hooked on the place  (and the paperwork for becoming an L&B Driver is currently sat on my desk)

The second thing that got me was that only two weeks later I was in North Wales and a comment made to the roster clerk back in July came home to roost.

I spent four days with this as my engine

attachicon.gifWB3.jpg

Previously I had only driven it as an oil burner (its was crap) and as a newly converted coal burner (it was still crap) and then only for one day at a time and once in a blue moon. The thing in July that came home to roost was a comment that pretty much theorised that in driving it once in a blue moon you never got in to a routine and an offer by me and my regular fireman to have it for the week. Sadly, it was broken and we had to `make do' have Linda for the week  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:    but the offer was remembered. It didn't start well as on the first day Mr Adhesion took a holiday and we had one hell of a slippery trip and actually stuck on Tylers curve when the over long wheelbase grinding into the curve was the final straw.  I think now its fair to say Lyd and I have reached an understanding, its still an out of place misfit but I enjoyed my four days on it.

Whilst at Woody Bay Annie took this video from the footplate of Blanche. It was her first go using a tablet for video but you might enjoy it.

Footplate Video    (this may not work for all as its a FaceBook video)

The route is easy learn, its flat out of Killington Lane but as you clear the points its very up as far as the trees from where its only slightly less up until easing for the crossover in to Woody Bay platform which is flat (ish)

I have a couple of things to chip in for now......

Firstly, you are aware that the current contents of Woody Bay signal cabin has more levers than it originally had? I think its 9 now but was 7. They added some shunt signals that wouldn't have been there originally. I may have the numbers wrong but I do know it was a bu@@er to do as I was told the tale of doing it in the beer tent.

Secondly, the EDM Models Manning Wardle kits may not be as long as you think before they're released. The first test chassis is running albeit with some printed parts that will be castings in the finished job. My enthusiasm for getting these done has been rekindled but the issue now is fitting them in around all the other committed work.

Wow!

Your reputation for quality models proceeds you Sir and what fantastic news that progress is being made on the kit. This was always our first choice.

Thank you for getting in touch and I hope you enjoy our journey on this most beautiful of little railways...

• RMweb Premium

Having known Paul for about 30 years, I don't think anyone has called him 'Sir' before . . . . . . . several other names usually preceded or followed by lots of @*@*@*@* !!

As for his other commitments, well you know the Minerva Peckett that's due in a week or two - well 70 will be heading to York for sound fitting - when we were at the Swanley NG show last week we didn't promise anyone their loco before Christmas but you can bet that's what they are all hoping for. I guess progress on the L&B design will be for those days when he can't face the sight of yet another sound chip !

• Like 2

Having known Paul for about 30 years, I don't think anyone has called him 'Sir' before . . . . . . . several other names usually preceded or followed by lots of @*@*@*@* !!As for his other commitments, well you know the Minerva Peckett that's due in a week or two - well 70 will be heading to York for sound fitting - when we were at the Swanley NG show last week we didn't promise anyone their loco before Christmas but you can bet that's what they are all hoping for. I guess progress on the L&B design will be for those days when he can't face the sight of yet another sound chip !.

Sorry, I seem to have thrown people by being nice.

I must work on that.....