7mm Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Project; Currently Paused

Indomitable026

• RMweb Gold

Blatant plug but I have one of the Alan Gibson L&B kits for Yeo Taw and Exe starting on eBay tomorrow evening. If anyone is interested please bid away - funds raised are in a good cause - our garden railway!

Jerry

• Like 2

Blatant plug but I have one of the Alan Gibson L&B kits for Yeo Taw and Exe starting on eBay tomorrow evening. If anyone is interested please bid away - funds raised are in a good cause - our garden railway!

Jerry

Blatant!

Unfortunately it will go for a lot more than I'm willing to pay.

• RMweb Gold

Blatant!

Unfortunately it will go for a lot more than I'm willing to pay.

Apologies for high jacking your thread but Iam hoping it fetches a good price - I'm after a second steamer for the garden!

Jerry

Apologies for high jacking your thread but Iam hoping it fetches a good price - I'm after a second steamer for the garden!

Jerry

2mm Finescale live steam in the garden?............Hmmm  :sarcastic:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a think and a chew over with friends over the weekend I'm pressing the snooze button on this project until I've got more certainty over rolling stock availability. Currently all that is available are coaches 15 & 16 and the short wheel base open and closed wagons. No loco's or the rest of the coaches and wagons are avaiable. Quite risky really and I've been caught out before with this.

Worsley works do the coaches, but I appreciate wanting to use the same basis for them all to match the look if possible (aside from no 17 which is allowed to look a bit different anyway!) - and it doesnt help with the remainder. 

Edited by Jub45565

Worsley works do the coaches, but I appreciate wanting to use the same basis for them all to match the look if possible (aside from no 17 which is allowed to look a bit different anyway!) - and it doesnt help with the remainder.

Yes we considered and dismissed them early on.

• RMweb Premium

After a think and a chew over with friends over the weekend I'm pressing the snooze button on this project until I've got more certainty over rolling stock availability. Currently all that is available are coaches 15 & 16 and the short wheel base open and closed wagons. No loco's or the rest of the coaches and wagons are avaiable. Quite risky really and I've been caught out before with this.

It's a tough one, but I think the right decision to make in the circumstances.

I think large projects like this have their place, but I've found there are definite benefits of looking at something smaller, more easily portable and more easily achievable in terms of their rolling stock requirements.

It's a tough one, but I think the right decision to make in the circumstances.

I think large projects like this have their place, but I've found there are definite benefits of looking at something smaller, more easily portable and more easily achievable in terms of their rolling stock requirements.

I never saw it as a large project and still don't. However my thinking is changing having seen you in action with Fryers Lane at both our SFG show and Goathland last weekend. Your the layout can be jettisoned from the show in to your car at a very quick pace. I now see massive benefits to this especially with regard to trying to fit our hobbies into ever (unnecessarily) manic work lifestyles. Being able move the layout single handed also helps with fewer operators being available for such shows, something I suffered with on DitD in the latter years as the boards were too large/ wide.

Inspiring.

However this does not distract from the main reason of pausing his project being down to the lack of available rolling stock. Exhibition logistics wouldn't have come in to the mix for a few years, plus these boards have been design for a one man lift..

• RMweb Gold

I never saw it as a large project and still don't. However my thinking is changing having seen you in action with Fryers Lane at both our SFG show and Goathland last weekend. Your the layout can be jettisoned from the show in to your car at a very quick pace. I now see massive benefits to this especially with regard to trying to fit our hobbies into ever (unnecessarily) manic work lifestyles. Being able move the layout single handed also helps with fewer operators being available for such shows, something I suffered with on DitD in the latter years as the boards were too large/ wide.

Inspiring.

However this does not distract from the main reason of pausing his project being down to the lack of available rolling stock. Exhibition logistics wouldn't have come in to the mix for a few years, plus these boards have been design for a one man lift..

Yes, a difficult one.

I appreciate what you are saying and a shame that this project will be paused for awhile as looking forward to seeing it develop.

Of course a small layout has many benefits, which I don't need to highlight here, suffice to say, I do enjoy the smaller layouts!

As it is I've started a new project, under the Cameo banner.

Do have any plans yourself of what you fancy building ?

Edited by mudmagnet

Yes, a difficult one.

I appreciate what you are saying and a shame that this project will be paused for awhile as looking forward to seeing it develop.

Of course a small layout has many benefits, which I don't need to highlight here, suffice to say, I do enjoy the smaller layouts!

As it is I've started a new project, under the Cameo banner.

Do have any plans yourself of what you fancy building ?

I fancy lots of things.

(but Friday night is the wrong time to ask...)

• Like 1

I fancy lots of things.

(but Friday night is the wrong time to ask...)

Oh pint night. What's it to be, having got through two failed projects?

This L&B project has taken 2 years out of your life and what with the earlier paused American Narrow Gauge project, a life time littered with part built layouts.

You have done some brilliant bench work for this layout and so it may be a bit large. My advice is to try some reworking of the plan to reduce the size. As to lack of stock well there is always scratch building, a common activity when modeling narrow gauge.

Don't give up yet.

John 

Oh pint night. What's it to be, having got through two failed projects?

This L&B project has taken 2 years out of your life and what with the earlier paused American Narrow Gauge project, a life time littered with part built layouts.

You have done some brilliant bench work for this layout and so it may be a bit large. My advice is to try some reworking of the plan to reduce the size. As to lack of stock well there is always scratch building, a common activity when modeling narrow gauge.

Don't give up yet.

John 

Don't worry, we've completed a lot more layouts than not.

A lifetime of part built layouts is well wide of the mark.

• RMweb Gold

Well it's easy enough to store things for the layout if not the boards until more comes available. Sensible decision if you don't have time to scratchbuild what there aren't kits for yet.

I've paused projects waiting for certain parts and spent the last four years collecting bits for an Om layout hoping for the locos Bemo are likely to deliver later this year . . . . or possibly next ;)

• RMweb Premium

Hi Damian,

I think it is the right decision in the circumstances.  Rolling stock kits ARE coming, but many of them are a long way off yet, and what is existing doesn't quite "cut the mustard".  

I have so far failed in my bit of the project; that is finding an old "Lyn" kit through my NG connections, and finding time to build the goods-shed.

Scratchbuilding stock for this project would be a VERY big task, and difficult to motivate when you know there are future kits somewhere in the pipeline.

So you are doing the right thing.

Best wishes, Dave.

Well it's easy enough to store things for the layout if not the boards until more comes available. Sensible decision if you don't have time to scratchbuild what there aren't kits for yet.

I've paused projects waiting for certain parts and spent the last four years collecting bits for an Om layout hoping for the locos Bemo are likely to deliver later this year . . . . or possibly next ;)

And get caught out at the 11th hour, I am 2 MMI loco's short (C-16 and C-21) because PSC decided to pull the plug on that project. But a bit of lateral thinking I now have a C-16 to the same standard as the MMI C-19 using a Broadway Limited C-16 and PSC castings plus a bit of work carving.

Don't worry, we've completed a lot more layouts than not.

A lifetime of part built layouts is well wide of the mark.

This project sounds it is a group project, if so is there no talent in the group to come up with ideas to progress the project forward. If the Alan Gibson kit you have is still in flat form scan it on your scanner and make paper patterns which can be stuck on sheets of brass and a few evenings work with a jewellers saw can result in in the sheet metal parts for 2 or 3 locos. If one of you know a friendly caster get the castings copied, word of warning do not sell on the surplus casting. Also look at combining the Slater's coach kits with the etched sides. There always ways round things as I found out when I went 7mm scale in 1975.

Hi Damian,

I think it is the right decision in the circumstances.  Rolling stock kits ARE coming, but many of them are a long way off yet, and what is existing doesn't quite "cut the mustard".  

I have so far failed in my bit of the project; that is finding an old "Lyn" kit through my NG connections, and finding time to build the goods-shed.

Scratchbuilding stock for this project would be a VERY big task, and difficult to motivate when you know there are future kits somewhere in the pipeline.

So you are doing the right thing.

Best wishes, Dave.

Was there a kit for 'Lyn', I cannot think of one.

Look at my first comment regarding things in the pipeline, manufacturers change their minds as their finances change so you could be waiting a long time. Also as most of these kits are produced by one man bands many things can go proprietors.

John

And get caught out at the 11th hour, I am 2 MMI loco's short (C-16 and C-21) because PSC decided to pull the plug on that project. But a bit of lateral thinking I now have a C-16 to the same standard as the MMI C-19 using a Broadway Limited C-16 and PSC castings plus a bit of work carving.

This project sounds it is a group project, if so is there no talent in the group to come up with ideas to progress the project forward. If the Alan Gibson kit you have is still in flat form scan it on your scanner and make paper patterns which can be stuck on sheets of brass and a few evenings work with a jewellers saw can result in in the sheet metal parts for 2 or 3 locos. If one of you know a friendly caster get the castings copied, word of warning do not sell on the surplus casting. Also look at combining the Slater's coach kits with the etched sides. There always ways round things as I found out when I went 7mm scale in 1975.

Was there a kit for 'Lyn', I cannot think of one.

Look at my first comment regarding things in the pipeline, manufacturers change their minds as their finances change so you could be waiting a long time. Also as most of these kits are produced by one man bands many things can go proprietors.

John

As I said above the project has been paused until more of the rolling stock I want becomes available.

Yes there was a Lyn kit, I think I was the guy who brough Daves when he had it up for sale a few years ago, I don't have it at the moment since I let some one in the L&BR Trust who was rebuilding Chelfham in 014 to have it on loan to go with that layout, but I have lost contact with them, I will see what I can find out.

If I do find it I will say now I won't sell it as I want it to remain available for a possible L&BR Trust 014 layout. The problem is I don't think it is built yet so I would need to come to some sort or arrangement over it, if that makes sense.

Colin 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes there was a Lyn kit, I think I was the guy who brough Daves when he had it up for sale a few years ago, I don't have it at the moment since I let some one in the L&BR Trust who was rebuilding Chelfham in 014 to have it on loan to go with that layout, but I have lost contact with them, I will see what I can find out.

If I do find it I will say now I won't sell it as I want it to remain available for a possible L&BR Trust 014 layout. The problem is I don't think it is built yet so I would need to come to some sort or arrangement over it, if that makes sense.

Colin 

Dave Nicholson as I recall before ZTC days. DLT, Didn't you build one for "Jock" many years ago?

I bought the last Lyn kit from him after the intended buyer fell through.

Had the pleasure of seeing Lyd last week in passing.

Yes Dave Nicholson did at least one run of 50 I believe, sold as L&B models I think? I've seen Dave's own model built by Neil Kinnison but I've got a feeling that it was circa 1993 that he advertised the kit. I'd imagine the majority are hidden away in peoples kit cupboards, i certainly haven't seen many completed.

I spoke to Paul of EDM models in February of this year and he was hoping that there would be a bit more impetus to push the development of the revised kit to support the new coaches from Slaters but I haven't heard any more since on that front. I sure Damien is aware of all this though and can understand the decision to sideline this project until further progress is made by EDM/Slaters.

• 2 weeks later...

Colin 

For the record, not me ... though I'm intrigued if there is someone else out there 'rebuilding Chelfham in O14'. I acquired Brian Taylor/Shoreham MRC's Chelfham just ahead of Warley 2012's L&B World, and when last I exhibited it in Burton 2-3 years ago I'd almost finished re-gauging. Needless to say, I've still only almost finished!

I have an L&B Models Lyn, bought from David Nicholson many years ago, which is still in its 'flatpack' state but I did get as far as talking to David about it at Bristol Trade Show a couple of years ago, when he mentioned that he'd made available a few replacement parts/addenda to the instructions that no-one has asked for since so few seem to have been built.

Do please let me know if you get back in touch with this other O14 Chelfham's owner: I'd like to view the competition (or have an excuse to throw in the towel!)

David H

• RMweb Premium

Dave Nicholson as I recall before ZTC days. DLT, Didn't you build one for "Jock" many years ago?

I bought the last Lyn kit from him after the intended buyer fell through.

Hi Stagman, the Baldwin I built for Jock was a Wrightlines WD. (and inherited when Jock decided he no longer wanted it!)

I've had two L&B Baldwins; I bought one from the second batch when the first batch sold very quickly.  After many years I decided I wasn't going to use it myself and sold it through the 7mmNGA.  

The second one I inherited from Pete Tarry, I don't know which batch it was from.  He had started the chassis but not got very far with it.  Again I pondered finishing it myself but eventually sold it to Colin.  

There were some improvements in the second batch, the big change being it had a resin cab roof, after the whitemetal version in the first batch made the loco too rear-heavy.  The resin roof was subsequently made available as a replacement.

Sadly, all this is of little relevance to anyone looking for one!

Cheers, Dave.