7mm Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Project; Currently Paused

Indomitable026

• RMweb Premium

Just need to build it to a scale of about 8.5mm to the foot then and the track gauge issue goes away.

Does moving one of the loop turnouts onto the curve give you a bit more space and make the transition from curve to straight more flowing? Or were the prototype turnouts always in straight track sections?

• RMweb Premium

Damian

I will add to Mike Bellamy's invite to the 7mm NGA at Burton with a invite to Stafford. (But please no hanging trees to dry on the Saturday morning)

No doubt I will see you at Swanley this year, it's been a few years since we all went down on the train.

Not missed a Swanley for many a year.

Bad thing is there is no bar any more ( pub up the road)

Terry

Damian

I will add to Mike Bellamy's invite to the 7mm NGA at Burton with a invite to Stafford. (But please no hanging trees to dry on the Saturday morning)

No doubt I will see you at Swanley this year, it's been a few years since we all went down on the train.

Not missed a Swanley for many a year.

Bad thing is there is no bar any more ( pub up the road)

Terry

Cheers for that Tel

So the layouts invite list looks like this;

7mm NGA at Burton

Barnstaple

Stafford

Oh and Vulcan's just howled past....

• RMweb Premium

Transition curves?

This is narrow gauge !!

Maybe not transition curves as such, more that the turnout at the bridge end of Bratton appears to be on the curve rather than on the straight. Might help to get away from the curve - straight - curve look of the track layout?

I knew what you meant, I was joking...

Its a balance, I don't want the loops too long and dominate the layout, however they need to be long enough for a loco, 4 coaches and a bogie wagon - from what I can make out.

I've also tried to have the straight part of the point as the normal running line for that direction.

Looking forward to seeing this progress, absolutely facing the by the L&B. What's your plan for the locks and rolling stock?

Hi,

The Manning Wardle locos - in the absence of the ex Alan Gibson kit we are looking at Slimlines bodies with scratch built chassis.

Wagons - scratch built.

Coaches - either scratch build or using bought etches depending on the accuracy of what we find on the market.

NG trains took over the Gibson kits. Langley do some coaches and wagons.

Yes I contacted EDM but I don't think the ex Gibson locos will be released anytime soon, hence the direction we're going with that.

I cant make my mind up about the Langley coaches and I'm also aware that Worsley Works do 'scratch aid' parts for the coaches but don't know what they are like.

Any views would be appreciated

The Worsley Works 'scratch-aid' etchings are really just that: nice etchings to help scratch-build a model. Mind that as the 7mm kits are scaled-up 4mm kits, some errors may come to light. (but I haven't found any yet ;) ) Mind, you'd have to source your own roof/floor and bogies if not included (bogies never are!). I have some modern WHR stock (the 1997 de Winson carriages) in 7mm, but 7mm modelling has got onto the backburner for the time being, most still being in flat-pack form. :sorry:

Interesting. I'm inclined to give the 'scratch aid' a go.

• RMweb Gold

Whoooaaahhh

It never occurred to me to look for film footage.

Priceless

I'm sure there was a couple of BBC progs in the 80's called something like "Little Train to Lynton" and then "Perchance it is not dead but sleepeth"

Always remember them as good programmes