Buckingham West

Richard Mawer

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rich,

Apologies for being so tardy and not popping by for a while!

You have some very inspirational ideas here at the moment - plus that 72xx looks superb. 

The coal loads, looks like a great way of having them removable. personally I stick with two wagons - a dirty one is loaded, a clean(er) one is empty! and clearly will be turning a blind eye to a loaded wagon leaving Henley - its either that, or the "hand of god" removing the load at the station.

Your electronics, making up circuit boards etc. Looks so easy, but I guess its all a question of time. Having not been in the railway room for ages, time is in short supply!

Then the signals - an area that I need to crack. Thankfully I won't need distance on the same post as a home, but will need a few brackets. 

Just need to get cracking.

Good luck with progress at Buckingham West.

S AND T DAY

I can't quite believe how long it has taken today to wire in a few signals! I think it actually took longer to run the wires than it did to set the servos up. Not helped at the end by my own stupidity on fault finding. The simplist thing would have been to switch the power off and back on and see if the Servo4 board had reset, rather than re-wire a whole board and half Brackley Road panel and still find it didn't work! Aagh!! Why are the simple answers so far away when needed.

So now Evenley has some extra signals:-

post-15300-0-54207000-1494112707_thumb.jpg

Left to right :- Evenley down advanced starter with Charlton Junction Distant below; Evenley up distant, Charlton Junction down (continuous run) distant on the lower level.

post-15300-0-55236100-1494112844_thumb.jpg

Evenley up advanced starter with Buckingham West fixed distant below; Buckingham West outer home in the distance. I need to make another 2 arm home/distant for Buckingham advanced starter and Evenley down distant which will go in the hole behind the nearest one. In typical GWR fashion it will be on the right of the running line. I thought that track was straight!

Brackley Road also has its first signal.

post-15300-0-07409500-1494113742_thumb.jpg

The Guards view (given that there is no platform yet) of the platform starter. I can now see I didn't set it quite horizontal. I'll adjust it next time I plug the laptop into the Servo4s.

There are some others, but a signal is a signal! I won't bore you.

I now have to make all Buckingham West's signals including a bracket and the 4 post gantry. Brackley Road needs 2 more. Then thats it!

Two of the signals are quite vulnerable, so I have fitted clear acrylic sheet to protect them from stray arms and sleeves. I've hit these sheets a few times already, so its saved some upset already.

post-15300-0-48741900-1494113319_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

What a great idea......I have lost count of the number of times I have knocked the boards off my signals ( and they are all fixed)

Regards

John

BELLS AND LIGHTS

Some operators have struggled slightly with the 3 bells at Evenley. Although they are different pitches and tones at first it can be confusing. The idea of indicator lights was mooted some months ago. There was quite a bit of discussion on here. Three bell tappers can be seen on the panel. The bells are behind.

post-15300-0-37791700-1494799303_thumb.jpg

I am delighted to report that when he was last here, Mark Riddoch of MERG very kindly brought me an Arduino based circuit board. His original design was going to be based on a 555 chip I believe, but I think Roger Noble, another friend from my HWDMRS days, made a suggestion.

post-15300-0-49934900-1494799319_thumb.jpg

Its simply connected to the three bells and 12v dc.

post-15300-0-50101200-1494799330_thumb.jpg

As a bell is rung the equivalent LED lights. After 5 seconds it flashes quickly and then slowly for another 5.

post-15300-0-07458500-1494799343_thumb.jpg

I have made a simple panel next to the controller. It is quite clear, if a little basic. My dymo tape has run out.

post-15300-0-72808700-1494799353_thumb.jpg

Thanks again Mark and Roger.

• Like 10

Hi Rich

Buckingham West thread interesting as always. On this occasion happy to take the credit for doing, well, nothing much! But let's not decry this state of affairs as I try and encourage it . I had just written a timer for Simon Paley (St Simon of this parish) that did something very similar albeit for his very modern, modern image layout that was to do with resetting color light signals and the similarities just struck me. Mark did all the actual work

Cheers and great work on Buckingham West

Roger

CROSSING THE VOID

Looking at a book about GWR branchlines I noticed how many level crossings there were. I succumbed to the idea of a crossing on the branch just outside Brackley Road. As the branch is high at that point the lane will then cross the main lines by bridges.

I rearranged the positions of the Home and Advanced Starter. This allowed the signals to protect the crossing. I didn't have any spare switches on the panel, nor trust myself (or anyone else) to open the gates before driving through them, so I was thinking through how to do it sequentially using servos and microswitches, when Mark Riddoch of MERG fame and frequent visitor to BW said he could easily do it with an Arduino and stepper motors. I am very grateful for the interest and assistance.

So when pulling lever 9, one gate slowly opens to rail, then the other, and finally the Advanced Starter pulls off. Putting it back, the signal goes on, then the gates open to the road one at once. Lever 10 goes through the same sequence but it pulls the Home off.

The signals are operated by servos and a Servo4 triggered by the Arduino.

post-15300-0-63479400-1495430480_thumb.jpg

There is not too much traffic on the branch, so the time taken to clear the line is no problem.

The gates are the Gaugemaster Fordhampton crossing. I made the road approaches from plastic card and mounted the steppers below. The gates are superglued to the stepper spindles. The setting up was easy thanks to Mark pre programming the travel. The bits of card in the photos are merely supporting the gates while the glue goes off.

The base colour is just an undercoat!!

post-15300-0-73367400-1495430584_thumb.jpg

post-15300-0-01337000-1495430645_thumb.jpg

post-15300-0-90154500-1495430679_thumb.jpg

post-15300-0-19771100-1495430775_thumb.jpg

So that's Brackley Road now fully signalled.

post-15300-0-77556000-1495430854_thumb.jpg

Once the scenery is built and I have a crossing keeper's cottage, I think this will be a nice little area.

post-15300-0-09470200-1495430906_thumb.jpg

Edited by Richard Mawer
  • Like 9

I'm glad it's all working, I'm a sucker for making things move (as well as the trains of course), so this sort of thing is right up my street and a pleasure to be able to work on. I am impressed with how quickly you got the gates installed. If it as me I would have had to contemplate the installation for at least a couple of weeks!

It's always a pleasure to come and operate Buckingham West, a really enjoyable, if at times slightly hectic layout to run. I'm really impressed with what you have achieved and really happy to be able to repay you in a small way for the enjoyable evenings.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I had the pleasure of visiting Buckingham yesterday. The wonderful sight of a whole room full of trains, tracks, stations, inclines and signals was a real Wow moment when the door was opened.

The effort that's gone in to this is quite amazing, the massive amount of woodwork and track laying, the electronics for the point & signal interlocking, the bell code tappers and different bells and the whole timetable.

Hopefully my little contribution will help to pay tribute to Peter Denny's original.

• Like 2

BRUNEL TRAIN SHED

A huge thanks to Stu Hilton alias Stubby47 down in Taunton who accepted my commission to build a Brunel train shed for Buckingham West. I think it is brilliant and just what Buckingham needed to scream Great Western. It sits centre stage as you get to the door to enter the railway room (what other folks would a garage!).

Some time ago David Bigcheeseplant on this site very kindly sent me plans and drawings of the sheds at High Wycombe and Thame. We lived in High Wycombe for 22 years, so apart from everything else it seemed apt. I passed these on to Stu together with some photos of various sheds and the measurements of my platforms.

Constructed mainly from plasticard, but with plasti strut and wire trusses. Suitably painted and lightly weathered, it sits over platforms 2 and 3. Platform 2 is bi-directional and used by shorter trains. 3 is the main departure platform. The near side is open with pillars which allows passengers access to platform 1 (the main arrival), but also for the operator to see the ends of the roads. God forbid a loco is left at the buffers when an arrival is due! The shed is deliberately quite short so that it gives the right impression but isn't a pain to operate with, nor hides all the lovely trains.

I have been waiting for the shed to arrive before finishing the platforms - my story and I'm sticking to it. So I apologise for the missing part in the photos.

Stu has made a rear wall to close off the back and make it look like the wall of the station building when viewed from inside. That's what I asked for. But now I think I'll keep it open, so we can look through just like one of the photos below.

Stu did a really good job and consulted all the way about all sorts of details. He even hand delivered it, but that was chance rather than something he does for everyone. He creates some amazing buildings. Look at his website.

Thanks again Stu. It's perfect.

post-15300-0-17460000-1495664896_thumb.jpg

post-15300-0-71970700-1495664918_thumb.jpg

post-15300-0-54867200-1495664949_thumb.jpg

post-15300-0-08751800-1495664973_thumb.jpg

post-15300-0-12694000-1495665033_thumb.jpg

post-15300-0-06025400-1495665052_thumb.jpg

post-15300-0-20632400-1495665076_thumb.jpg

post-15300-0-75068500-1495665102_thumb.jpg

The 09.25 arrival at Buckingham West from Banbury. Hauled by the Bulldog built by Stan Chandler and Tony Gee. Someday soon to receive its shirtbutton, number and name of Pershore Plum. I Just love the atmosphere created.

• Like 16

I had the pleasure of visiting Buckingham yesterday. The wonderful sight of a whole room full of trains, tracks, stations, inclines and signals was a real Wow moment when the door was opened.

The effort that's gone in to this is quite amazing, the massive amount of woodwork and track laying, the electronics for the point & signal interlocking, the bell code tappers and different bells and the whole timetable.

Hopefully my little contribution will help to pay tribute to Peter Denny's original.

Stu, you have certainly added a lot to the layout, just like my other clever friends and contributers. I am very grateful to you all and am glad people seem to enjoy the layout.

I'm jealous of your train shed, its the sort of thing I have planned for my long planned but never started model of my home town branch terminus, Falmouth Docks as it became known.

Know all you need is the signs with the platform numbers and I might be able to remember which order they go in, 1, 2, 3 or 3, 2, 1 !

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Its been a while since I posted an update. I have mainly been building more signals and a few other little bits and bobs. I will post about those and photos soon.

The largest change to have happened is regarding freight. This plan has been in existence in concept since the start of this project. I have finally put it into action and last night was the first time it was used. Its early days but it looks like fun. I always wanted freight to be moved for a reason. There have been many discussions on this site about how to do it: cards for wagons, cards for loads and destinations so you have to move wagons to enable those loads to be moved. All are laudable, but far too complicated for my layout. I took a leaf out of Peter Denny's book (well there's a surprise!) and decided that I couldn't deal with real reasons so I would deal with pretend reasons and move the stock based on colours on each wagon. No need for cards to be lying around.

So each wagon has a coloured dot on the left hand end of the solebar. There are 8 colours: Red Green Yellow, Light Blue, White, Orange, Pink and Dark Blue. There are different colours on each side of each wagon. There are roughly the same number of dots for each colour. Alongside the timetable for each station/signal box, there is a Freight sheet and this lists out the colours of wagons that are to form up each departing freight and the maximum number of wagons. So far so good: just a simple shunting operation. There are 4 different freight days with different colours each day. As they alternate around the 6 timetable days it means they are not the same colours for day. So its different colours this Monday from last Monday.

The clever/fortunate bit is that for any given train Buckingham West operator sees one side of the train and Evenley and Brackley Road see the other. So if Buckingham forms up a stopping train with Red Green and Orange, when it gets to Evenley that operator receives a train full of random colours (the other sides of the wagons), and so has to shunt.

Furthermore, as a train goes round the dumbbell at Banbury, it comes back up the line displaying the other side (the random sequence). So again a non stop train from Buckingham West formed of the same Red Green and Orange receives back a full assortment of colours. This way there is always a selection of wagons in each yard that can be used to form up the next train, and some wagons left in the yard. Each yard has a different colour (or colours) that it keeps for a given day. The number of wagons in any yard varies and the number going on any train varies - just like the real thing. So a train to Swindon with a max of 20 units may be full length one day yet only have 13 the next. It will take time for the wagon locations to find their level.

Of course there have to be some wagons that aren't part of that general system, such as perishables, milk, coal etc which have their own trains. There are other days when certain trains must carry certain wagons (such as cattle) or are prevented from that, so that they can go on special trains. Its all listed on the timetable.

It sounds more complicated than it is when it is being operated - or at least I hope it sounds more complicated than it is. At present the colours are stickers, so if it fails, it can all come off. At least there is some form of pattern and purpose.

Edited by Richard Mawer
  • Like 3

UPDATE ON FREIGHT SYSTEM

So in practice there were some glitches.

In the room light it was hard to differentiate between red and orange, and between the green and yellow. The dark blue almost disappeared.

Having 8 colours meant that multiple colours were due to go on most trains. This made it quite hard to remember which colours were going and which were remaining.

Having 4 freight days and 6 timetable days gave some rotation, but arguably not enough. This isn't really an issue given it takes 15 hours to run through a timetable day.

So I have removed Red, Yellow and Dark Blue and replaced them with the other colours. I have arranged the schedules over 5 days. There are less colours for each train.

Hopefully this will sort the issues. The next days running will be telling.

• RMweb Premium

UPDATE ON FREIGHT SYSTEM

So in practice there were some glitches.

In the room light it was hard to differentiate between red and orange, and between the green and yellow. The dark blue almost disappeared.

Having 8 colours meant that multiple colours were due to go on most trains. This made it quite hard to remember which colours were going and which were remaining.

Having 4 freight days and 6 timetable days gave some rotation, but arguably not enough. This isn't really an issue given it takes 15 hours to run through a timetable day.

So I have removed Red, Yellow and Dark Blue and replaced them with the other colours. I have arranged the schedules over 5 days. There are less colours for each train.

Hopefully this will sort the issues. The next days running will be telling.

If it is any consolation to you, we have the same problems on t'other Buckingham. Fluorescent tubes and old eyes make it very difficult to tell colours apart and some have faded. So the cry goes up "where does pink go?" with the answer being "there is no pink, it is faded purple". Orange to red and green to blue are worst with white to yellow close behind.

Of course I can see them all perfectly and it is the other operators who need tests for colour blindness.........

But I am delighted to see the method used on the layout. The Denny way lives on.

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 2

If it is any consolation to you, we have the same problems on t'other Buckingham. Fluorescent tubes and old eyes make it very difficult to tell colours apart and some have faded. So the cry goes up "where does pink go?" with the answer being "there is no pink, it is faded purple". Orange to red and green to blue are worst with white to yellow close behind.

Of course I can see them all perfectly and it is the other operators who need tests for colour blindness.........

But I am delighted to see the method used on the layout. The Denny way lives on.

Cheers,

Tony

Of course you can!!!!! Ha ha.

Its funny no matter how hard I try on certain things, I end up back with the Denny principle.

We must organise respective visits.

Rich

BUCKINGHAM WEST GETS SIGNALS

Nearly there.

The down signals (except the Advanced Starter) are made and working.

post-15300-0-96048100-1498428286_thumb.jpg

L to R, Platform 2 and 1 Starters (underslung and centre pivoted); Platform 3 Starter; Loco Exit (ringed); Yard Exit (ringed). In the background can be seen the gantry which supports the Up Inner Homes. So from this view you will see the rear of the arms when they are added. The posts are (L to R) Backing Signal (this is over the Down Main which is also used as the station moves headshunt. The signal controls movements back into either the Loco, Carriage Sidings, any of the Platforms or the Yard Reception. It will have a stencil indicator below the arm, but as you will only see the rear it will not operate); Up Home for Platform 2; Up Home for Platform 1 (the tallpost); Up Home for Yard Reception.

post-15300-0-72201900-1498428878_thumb.jpg

The 43xx waiting to depart with the first Banbury Passenger of the day. The Starters are inspired by the signals at Bewdley on the SVR. We were there a few weeks ago and seeing those answered how I was going to fit 2 arms in that limited space. Since then I have been shown that similar centre pivots existed at High Wycombe. It's a small world.

Photos are cruel. Not only are the positions of the arms not accurate, but that platform edge and the paving!!! Still no crew or ballast!

The gantry obviously needs completing. So does the Down Advanced starter. Then thats all signalled. Out of comfort zone looms.

• Like 6

Cheers,

Tony

Not wanting to hijack Richard's thread, but how's 'The Other Buckingham' coming on?

• Like 1

We must organise respective visits.

Rich

I'm thinking there ought to be a spur line somewhere which allows goods wagons to be transferred between the two stations - maybe a supposed continuation of the line to the Cattle Market on 'The Other Buckingham'. It would be quite good fun for you and Tony to have some identical wagons which could be transferred over the spur - if you both have running sessions at the same time, you could shunt some wagons on to your end of the spur, ring Tony, he places the same wagons on the Cattle Market line and shunts them into Buckingham GCR yard, then shunts some other wagons into the spur, calls you back, you put the identical wagons on your spur and shunt them back into your yard!

I'm thinking there ought to be a spur line somewhere which allows goods wagons to be transferred between the two stations - maybe a supposed continuation of the line to the Cattle Market on 'The Other Buckingham'. It would be quite good fun for you and Tony to have some identical wagons which could be transferred over the spur - if you both have running sessions at the same time, you could shunt some wagons on to your end of the spur, ring Tony, he places the same wagons on the Cattle Market line and shunts them into Buckingham GCR yard, then shunts some other wagons into the spur, calls you back, you put the identical wagons on your spur and shunt them back into your yard!

It seems you have too much thinking time RJS! :-)

• RMweb Premium

Richard

I've had the same problems with distinguishing individual colours from others that in isolation look nothing like each other.

I'm interested to know how you decide where in each yard an individual wagon goes. For example, how do you differentiate between wagons (or vans) that are conveying (or are to convey) sundries traffic - i.e. small items that don't comprise a wagon load in their own right (often dealt with in the Goods Shed) and those that are a wagon load destined to or originating from a single customer (dealt with in a [mileage] siding? What about (for example) van loads to/from private sidings where the van looks similar to vans destined for the goods shed?

Richard

I've had the same problems with distinguishing individual colours from others that in isolation look nothing like each other.

I'm interested to know how you decide where in each yard an individual wagon goes. For example, how do you differentiate between wagons (or vans) that are conveying (or are to convey) sundries traffic - i.e. small items that don't comprise a wagon load in their own right (often dealt with in the Goods Shed) and those that are a wagon load destined to or originating from a single customer (dealt with in a [mileage] siding? What about (for example) van loads to/from private sidings where the van looks similar to vans destined for the goods shed?

Hi Ray. I thought you would be interested in the freight movement side. You've done so much on this.

To answer your question in two words - we don't.

The system is designed to make the operators shunt the wagons to form up trains, rather than just select the easiest 20 wagons. It is not a system designed to replicate loads or shipment movements. The operators are encouraged to stable wagons in the likely places for the type of wagon. There are some obvious ones such as coal staites and cattle docks. There is a horse dock at Buckingham and an oil depot. The dairy is off limits to anything except milk vans and tanks. As for vans and opens, the operator has the choice of goods shed, mileage yard or private sidings. Givens that its set in 1930's there are more opens than vans.

As wagons come in, we make no assumptions what type of load is in each wagon. If the operator puts it in the goods shed we could says its sundries. If its in a private siding or mileage, we'd assume its wagon load. Its that simple.

Its not a system for purists and like I say, its aim is to promote shunting and wagon choice, not to be protypical about loads.

• Like 2