Buckingham West

Richard Mawer

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Richard Mawer said:

Good to hear from you again John. You seem to be making good progress on Cornwall. Any more video?

Anyway, thanks for your comments. I had thought about that. Very protypical of course. There are problems though.

1) if the Instrument was set at Normal the Sending box could still pull off the lever, but the signal would show danger. I’m not sure the sending box would actually notice the arm. True the sender would lose power, but that would happen in the current design.

2) The LC and TOL settings would both have to allow the signal to show clear, but to peg the Instrument from one setting to the other would pass through Normal so very briefly the signal would twitch.

3) its an added complication that probably doesn’t affect operation too much.

I am struggling to find a purpose for the LC setting, apart from reminding the operators that they have offered and accepted a train. In itself that can be useful on this layout.

At planned both operators need to have taken positive action to drive a train. The Instrument needs to show TOL and the Advanced Starter needs to clear.

Cheers

Rich

No videos for a while Rich. I must ask Charles to bring his camera along again some time. Some scenes of shunting Porthmellyn Road yard might be of interest.

I'm going to use a much-simplified block indicator system to let drivers, signalmen and yardmasters know when the line is clear and when it isn't. There'll be a variation for the single line section between St Enodoc and Treloggan Junction, which will a sort of first-come-first-served arrangement, rather like the flip-flop circuit for an upstairs landing light. In each case the actual signal lever will be locked by the Line Clear release Eemeck on the Modratec lever frame.

More details when I've actually tried it out (and maybe a video when it's installed on the layout!)...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Richard Mawer said:

Good to hear from you again John. You seem to be making good progress on Cornwall. Any more video?

Anyway, thanks for your comments. I had thought about that. Very protypical of course. There are problems though.

1) if the Instrument was set at Normal the Sending box could still pull off the lever, but the signal would show danger. I’m not sure the sending box would actually notice the arm. True the sender would lose power, but that would happen in the current design.

2) The LC and TOL settings would both have to allow the signal to show clear, but to peg the Instrument from one setting to the other would pass through Normal so very briefly the signal would twitch.

3) its an added complication that probably doesn’t affect operation too much.

I am struggling to find a purpose for the LC setting, apart from reminding the operators that they have offered and accepted a train. In itself that can be useful on this layout.

At planned both operators need to have taken positive action to drive a train. The Instrument needs to show TOL and the Advanced Starter needs to clear.

Cheers

Rich

I've not quite got my head round this. My understanding of prototype operation is:

1) Signalman at the station the train is currently at (Station A) rings station B to ask if the line is clear.

2) Signalman B replies 'Line Clear' and sets the block instrument accordingly.

3) Signalman A clears the Advanced Starter and the train departs.

4) When the train enters the section, Signalman A rings 'Train Entering Section'

5) Signalman B acknowledges and sets TOL.

6) When the train leaves the section, Signalman B rings 'Train out of section'

7) Signalman A acknowledges

8) Signalman B returns the instrument to Line Clear.

So on a model (double track) I would expect:

* The line FROM station A to station B to be permanently (?) wired to station B (unless there are some shunting moves with a Limit of Shunt) that require passing the Advanced Starter.

* The advance starter to only be clear when the instrument says 'Line Clear'

* The relevant part(s) of Station A to be under the control of Station B when (and only when) Line Clear is showing on the instrument and the Advance Starter is clear.

* Station A to return to Signalman A's control once the instrument says 'Train On Line' and the Advance Starter has been returned to Danger.

• RMweb Gold

Correct listing of actions except 8 is return to Normal not line clear so that 1 can happen.  Known in the trade as Closed Block i.e. there must be a positive acceptance of a train. Early systems had Open Block which was only two positions so that a train could be sent in without asking, and contributed to some block irregularity accidents.  Probably doesn’t matter on a model.

Paul.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

I've not quite got my head round this. My understanding of prototype operation is:

1) Signalman at the station the train is currently at (Station A) rings station B to ask if the line is clear.

2) Signalman B replies 'Line Clear' and sets the block instrument accordingly.

3) Signalman A clears the Advanced Starter and the train departs.

4) When the train enters the section, Signalman A rings 'Train Entering Section'

6) When the train leaves the section, Signalman B rings 'Train out of section'

7) Signalman A acknowledges

8) Signalman B returns the instrument to Line Clear.

So on a model (double track) I would expect:

* The line FROM station A to station B to be permanently (?) wired to station B (unless there are some shunting moves with a Limit of Shunt) that require passing the Advanced Starter.

* The advance starter to only be clear when the instrument says 'Line Clear'

* The relevant part(s) of Station A to be under the control of Station B when (and only when) Line Clear is showing on the instrument and the Advance Starter is clear.

* Station A to return to Signalman A's control once the instrument says 'Train On Line' and the Advance Starter has been returned to Danger.

Hello again,

Yes you are right in real life, with the correction from Paul, and also that i. 1930’s GWR box B did not acknowledge ‘Train out of Section’ apparently.

However, on Buckingham West there are a few minor alterations.

The line between Aand B is severed electrically midway. So there is no separately wired Block sction between stations. I should have thought more at the start. So the electrical break is after the advanced starter and before the home.

Currently Station A is it under A’s control until the Advanced starter is pulled off, when B becomes connected.

The proposal is that Station A will be under A’s control until the Advanced Starter is pulled off. Then no one is in control. When B’s Block Instrument is set to Train on Line, B controller is connected to Station A.

So:

2) Signalman B replies 'Line Clear', sets the block instrument accordingly and pulls off Home signal.

3) Signalman A clears the Advanced Starter and Signalman A rings 'Train Entering Section'

6) Signalman B drives the train

7) When the train leaves the section and arrives at Station B,  Signalman B rings 'Train out of section'

8) Signalman A puts Advanced Starter back ‘on’/ in the frame.

9) Signalman B returns the instrument to Normal.

I hope that helps the understanding.

Rich

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning Richard,

Silly me, I should have remembered!  As you say GWR regs didn’t require acknowledgement of TOS (train out of section) and that was still in the 1960 WR regs.  The 72 regs  were national so officially it had gone, but it was still practice at the WR boxes I visited in late 70s.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I am pleased to see your progress and the developments in the operational side of things.

On the "other" Buckingham the block instruments and bells are the same on the main and on the single track branch, so there are two sets of lights for up and down trains on the single line.

The sequence of sending trains is not completely prototypical as when a train is offered and accepted and all the signals and points are set, the sender gives two beats for "train entering section" before the train sets off. It is an instruction to the receiving operator to turn the controller on and drive the train.

Not entirely in line with real railway operation but it works well in model use.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I am pleased to see your progress and the developments in the operational side of things.

On the "other" Buckingham the block instruments and bells are the same on the main and on the single track branch, so there are two sets of lights for up and down trains on the single line.

The sequence of sending trains is not completely prototypical as when a train is offered and accepted and all the signals and points are set, the sender gives two beats for "train entering section" before the train sets off. It is an instruction to the receiving operator to turn the controller on and drive the train.

Not entirely in line with real railway operation but it works well in model use.

Good to hear from you Tony. We must make reciprocal visits!

As you know, I use 2 beats in exactly the same way.

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Richard Mawer said:

Good to hear from you Tony. We must make reciprocal visits!

As you know, I use 2 beats in exactly the same way.

Rich

I mentioned it as the prototype sequence of events listed above mentioned that the signals would be set, the train start off and then "train entering section" would be given.

Our version is slightly different!

Look out for a PM about a visit.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER.......

The base scenery is starting to take shape.

047E72A7-E1DA-462B-BE1D-E9332BBE3CBA.jpeg.2ef499f0939a4f3fb121ee22cbfd2c20.jpeg

I am using Readygrass Spring Grass. It’s a vinyl backed grass mat which is fairly stiff by comparison to many grass mats, but you can mould it using heat from a heat gun or hairdryer.

9401D159-DFF4-4367-B540-831EA3C79864.jpeg.f214e2337b9e8bb51f9ff0b6ed44235d.jpeg

The white former along the edge is 4mm plastic board left over from the backscenes. There is scrunched up paper, plastic packing and polystyrene blocks under the matting to create many of the basic shapes. I have carved the polystyrene using a heated wire cutter - brilliant bit of kit! But I have only stuck the edges of the mat down. This allows the majority to be sculpted a bit with heat.

6ABDBA67-6ECE-4F5E-8312-45743C259D8A.jpeg.2580488b9cdfb17e9faae721abbd8215.jpeg

Some the shapes around this corner were tricky. I cut it roughly to size, then cut the correct curve for one edge - usually the track side, and stick it using Evostick contact adhesive. Then lay it over the formers (applying heat if needed) and stick it to the edging. Finally excess is trimmed off.

This is not intended to be the finished article. Its a base for adding static grass, bushes, trees, telephone poles etc. But it does change the feel of the layout no end.

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

MORE LIGHTS?

Using a current detector from Blocksignalling.com I have added an LED to the Evenley controller which is used for controlling trains out of Banbury, round Charlton Junction and up to Evenley. These trains traverse the circuit at Charlton for 15 or so minutes before being offered up to Evenley. In the meantime, it is easy to forget that the controller is in use. This LED should help to remind operators. The controller LED lights up as soon as the controller is turned up irrespective of whether there is actually a train running or not. The current detector only lights when a train is running.

281994905_IMG_94701.JPG.73f59c235e83a70f0d514cc22ede1604.JPG

Using the 2nd output from this detector, another unit on the Buckingham West controller that controls non-stop trains out of Banbury and a further unit on the Down controller at Charlton I have added a flashing Red LED on the Charlton Panel. This flashes when there is a train moving in opposing directions on the double tracks at Charlton. It serves to warn the operator that signalling one of those trains to go Up to Evenley or Down to Banbury (both of which entail one train crossing the other line) has the risk of a collision. Again, hopefully quite useful to operators!

I've tidied up the panel labels as well.

27980384_IMG_94681.JPG.7e2b732ff6a026631731a63ca0af39e1.JPG

I've just realised that I took the photo before actually fitting the LED in the hole!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

SIDE PROJECT

Buckingham West is nowhere near finished - but still very enjoyable to operate - which is what it was primarily about, but even so, with a group of regular operators, we have decided to do something rather different. We are building an exhibition layout. Not only that, but we are doing it in 7mm scale. Not only that, but we are doing it in Narrow Gauge (0-16.5) and not only that, but we are doing it with DCC sound fitted locos. All rather different really!!!

Its early days but things are moving ahead at a fairly rapid rate. Construction and procurement are well advanced.

I won't mix up the threads, so we have started a new topic called THE STONETHWIATE AND BAINRIGG RAILWAY. https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/147455-the-stonethwaite-and-bainrigg-railway/&tab=comments#comment-3667670

We'd love to have any of you who so kindly follow and advise me on Buckingham West, to take a look (not much there yet!) and give the normal RMWEB support and advice.

We might even get to see some of you at exhibitions (if we get invited!).

More on Buckingham West soon as well.

Cheers

Rich

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

DEE TOOO IN THE BIG BROTHER HOOSE

So I’ve had to close the office down because of the virus and am facing at least 3 weeks of house arrest (apart from walking the dog) just like everyone else. So plenty of modelling time not only on Stonethwaite and Bainrigg, but also on Buckingham West.

I decided to have a running session on Buckingham before doing anything else. I checked where I was on the timetable from the log book and couldn’t believe it. The last running session was 29th December 2019!!!

After checking everything, I just have one servo to swap out. Everything else worked well. I’d almost forgotten how much fun the layout is. 

Once this is all over I can’t wait to get the teams back for operating sessions.

In the meantime there is scenery to make.

Keep safe and stay at home.

Rich

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Richard Mawer said:

Hope you are ok out there Neal!

Thanks @Richard Mawer for us though today is Dee Twelve in the Big Brother house.... loads of progress at Henley on Thames.

its very quiet over here in Spain, where everyone by and large is responding to the calls of “don’t go out”. It’s different on the continent, where respect for the Police has always been maintained. Helped at the moment by armed check points; there is a local police one down the road and roving Guardia checkpoints. You don’t mess with them! Or at least..... one a German couple decided not to stop, had their tyres shot out and are now in prison!

Yes we are fine thanks! Can’t wait for it all to be over.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It’s been a busy day today at Buckingham West, but not a single train has run.

At long last I have cleared away the rubbish from the area where the ironstone quarry will be. For those who know the layout, that was a big job!

6A80C4E1-D91D-4CB2-BD6D-A1B9B202EEDA.jpeg.95e1e14ea0865277fac07ced2dddf771.jpeg

That’s Evenley village being set out in the background. The lines in the foreground will be underground when the scenery is made.

I also found and resolved 2 wiring issues at Charlton junction, and replaced the dodgy Servo4 board so the Charlton Up Distant now works again.

Finally I installed the last 2 TOTIs on the undercover dumbbell line. There are 3 green LEDs which light in succession to indicate the trains progress whilst unseen. I was able to use a MERG light sensitive resistor model for number 2 because of the LED illumination for similar TOTIs for the loops. Number 3 was (like number 1) a Block Signalling . Com infrared unit. The Banbury panel is now complete.

FB52498D-5EFE-4B87-AD70-58FD9593D56D.jpeg.65edfc97f51c28d6f16f2e177dbc6ac9.jpeg

Rich

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

CHARLTON JUNCTION

Two short clips of trains passing through Charlton Junction late afternoon on a Saturday. The first is the 17.33 Buckingham West to Leicester headed by ex GCR Director, Marne. Note the mixed rake. It travels to Banbury where it joins with the main train from Reading. The combined train then runs to Woodford Halse and on to Leicester. The motive power alternates between GWR and LNER on consecutive days.

The second clip is from the same location but shows the 17.30 local from Banbury to Buckingham West. It is headed by a Dukedog.

You will have noticed that basic green stuff is appearing. Bushes, static grass, fences and trees are still required, but its a start. The problem with making a layout primarily for operational interest is that its so much fun to operate I get little work done on it.

You will also note the control panel for Brackley Road which is up on the top level here. Some wagons can be seen in the front siding. You can also see the aide memoire for Block Bells on the control panel. That is a help for some of the guest operators not versed in this type of operation.

You will also note the girder bridge visible above the signal box. This bridge carries the approaches to Buckingham West. The yard shunter is paused on the headshunt on the bridge.

Edited by Richard Mawer
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Richard Mawer said:

Two short clips of trains passing through Charlton Junction late afternoon on a Saturday.

Great!  I do enjoy seeing these action videos.  

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, checkrail said:

Great!  I do enjoy seeing these action videos.  

Thank you. I’ll add some more in due course.

There is a long way to go on the scenery, but its never going to be a patch on Stoke Courtenay. Likewise I can’t get close to Kevin’s Little Muddle and various others. I am in awe.

SATURDAY EVENING ACTION

The 19.18 down Buckingham to Birmingham parcels, headed by a Castle, running in the cutting below Evenley station.

The 19.53 TWSO down Buckingham West to Banbury Horses and Carriages, hauled by ex-GCR “Pom Pom” J11 of Woodford Halse (doing the local shed a favour) emerging from the tunnel between Buckingham and Evenley

The 19.40 Up Birmingham to Buckingham express.

And finally the Horses and Carriages train dropping down the bank from Evenley towards Charlton Junction and the Birmingham Express on the continuous run (which is between Banbury and Evenley and runs over Charlton Junctions a few times).

• Like 5