Buckingham West

Richard Mawer

Well its been a while, but not massive progress to report.

What I have managed to do is all at Buckingham West. I have glued down the track for the platforms and carriage sidings. I have also glued the point ladder for the loco yard.

Today I finally set out the track for the goods yard. Its a compromise between enough sidings to hold the large amounts of wagons and preserving the space between tracks to allow roads vehicles access for loading. On balance the former took precedence but hopefully there is enough space left.

It is important for me that shunting has a purpose, so there needs to be a "home" for each wagon. Buckingham was a major town with industry so it needs a large and diverse yard.

In this photo the yard is rear left, private sidings front left, 3 platform lines in the centre with carriage sidings to their right (rake in middle one), and loco yard on the right under the clutter. The engine shed is correctly located and the box with the Heljan turntable in it is roughly in the right place too.

post-15300-0-76570000-1459201502_thumb.jpg

The lazer cut building in the foreground is going to be the dairy. There is a large chimney to add. The kit is from "in the greenwood" and is supposed to be a 1930s bus depot, but I think it works rather well there, or will. To the left of that is "Ricketts Engineering", and then left of that will be the gas works. There is a loop built into the goods yard design to allow the reverse shunting of these private sidings. At present the tracks of the private sidings are not connected. Don't worry about the dog legged joints!!!

The extensions to the long sidings are only there for effect too at present.

post-15300-0-94445100-1459201800_thumb.jpg

In the goods yard proper, the lines are (left to right) Goods Shed, general storage, cattle dock, brake vans, mileage, general storage, coal and then the goods arrival/departure next to platform 1.

I have yet to decide where the petrol tank will go. In the mid 1930s petrol was being delivered by tanker on a local basis.

I am also missing a horse and carriage loading bank/dock. That might have to go to the right of the carriage sidings.

The goods yard points have yet to be modified - links on the blades cut on the underside and new links to the stock rails soldered in, and the centre springs removed from the tie bar. All the track needs to be glued.

Plenty still to do!

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

TURNING TABLES ON BUCKINGHAM

Things finally seem to be taking shape at Buckingham West - the imaginary terminus of a GWR line from just south of Banbury (on the Banbury to Oxford line) to Buckingham. I have modified the points for the goods yard so they don't rely on the contacts between the blades and running lines by soldering wires between them. I finally glued them and all the goods yard sidings down. See the photos from the previous entry.

I also sorted out and glued down the private sidings. The one nearest to the board edge is the gas works. The buildings and kit are standard Hornby Skaledale units.

post-15300-0-06190800-1460496137_thumb.jpg

The middle line serves a factory made up of two parts of the Metcalf brewery and a Superkwik factory. This will be Ricketts Engineering. This firm actually existed - and made one of the first steam lorries - but I have no idea what the factory looked like.

post-15300-0-71105500-1460496289_thumb.jpg

The siding nearest to the running lines is Buckingham Dairy. Mine is run by the co-op: CWS. The building straddles the track so the tankers can be filled under cover. Churns will be brought in from the stations en route in vans and tankers will go out each day to Banbury and then onto London.

The building is actually a bus garage produced by In The Greenwood and is laser cut wood. I have yet to cover it with scalescenes brick paper. The chimney is a kit by the German firm Piko.

post-15300-0-05414200-1460496592_thumb.jpg

Buckingham West has a lot of pointwork, so needs loads of servos. In turn that means lots of MERG Servo4 boards. About 12 in fact. So I've made a start and batch built 6.

post-15300-0-33844300-1460496725_thumb.jpg

Finally, i have cut a large hole in the baseboard and partly installed the Heljan turntable. The Loco yard tracks are just vaguely laid out to give me a guide. I need to paint the well without gumming up the workings.

post-15300-0-75716100-1460496829_thumb.jpg

I also want to make the bridge look more British than European (no political statement intended!). Its not shown in these photos, but it has railings and a little hut. I have some plans.

The track on the bridge is code 83. So far the locos I have tried seem happy on it, but fingers are crossed about some older ones which might have deeper flanges. If its a problem, I might have to be inventive. There is still the issue of mating code 100 track to code 83 anyway.

I had quite a problem finding a 16v ac power supply for some reason, but one is finally on order. Then I can start laying the Loco Yard track and programming the turntable.

Finally a view from the Loco Yard across the pointwork of the station throat and over to the private sidings.

post-15300-0-47038700-1460497317_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Good morning Rich

It is looking exciting.  I like the mix of industry.  Country towns grew up because of basic services like gas and milk - and 100 years ago these services only existed because of the railway. Plenty of cool and damp weather outside here to encourage more railway modelling.

Regards

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

TRACK DOWN

All the track at Buckingham West is finally down and glued. The mainline, 2 stations and the storage loops (Banbury) are all laid. That leaves the branch to do. I have the boards for the incline already cut, but I need to design the small terminus (Brackley Road).

post-15300-0-34254700-1461481656_thumb.jpg

The photo above is Buckingham West. Left to right are: goods shed, general storage, cattle, brake vans, mileage, general storage with oil at the far end, coal (with temporary red bufferstop), goods reception/departure), platform 1, platform 2, platform 3, 3 carriage sidings (a cross country rake in the first - the other two are out of sight), horse and carriage dock out of sight and finally the loco shed.

Platforms, ballast, in fact everything(!) yet to do.

post-15300-0-29406600-1461482131_thumb.jpg

A view from the bufferstops of the platforms and Goods reception/departure. The red buffers are old sprung units from Hornby Doublo. Good old Ebay!

post-15300-0-54473600-1461482244_thumb.jpg

A view from above. The train is in platform 3. This shows the 3 carriage sidings and new horse and carriage dock. It also shows Buckingham Loco.

post-15300-0-59174200-1461482393_thumb.jpg

The Loco consists of a headshunt next to the two track shed, which feeds 4 lines which lead to the turntable: arrival (holds 3 locos) which includes an ash pit (with siding next to it for wagons to remove the ash) and coaling stage, loop one for holding 3 locos, loop two for holding 2, and an exit road from the table. This can lead to the shed which holds 4 locos.

The turntable is Heljan and works really well. Easy to install and program. Very accurate.

The coaling stage is Bachmann and the incline is just on polystyrene blocks (needs work) off the head shunt.

post-15300-0-77272700-1461482795_thumb.jpg

That post war livery really has to go!

post-15300-0-49256900-1461482858_thumb.jpg

post-15300-0-77242300-1461482905_thumb.jpg

28xx and Castle outside the shed - just chillin'

post-15300-0-48479200-1461482962_thumb.jpg

A view from the Loco headshunt.

Now on with the wiring and servos.

Rich

• Like 8

TRACK DOWN

All the track at Buckingham West is finally down and glued. The mainline, 2 stations and the storage loops (Banbury) are all laid. That leaves the branch to do. I have the boards for the incline already cut, but I need to design the small terminus (Brackley Road).

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The photo above is Buckingham West. Left to right are: goods shed, general storage, cattle, brake vans, mileage, general storage with oil at the far end, coal (with temporary red bufferstop), goods reception/departure), platform 1, platform 2, platform 3, 3 carriage sidings (a cross country rake in the first - the other two are out of sight), horse and carriage dock out of sight and finally the loco shed.

Platforms, ballast, in fact everything(!) yet to do.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

A view from the bufferstops of the platforms and Goods reception/departure. The red buffers are old sprung units from Hornby Doublo. Good old Ebay!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

A view from above. The train is in platform 3. This shows the 3 carriage sidings and new horse and carriage dock. It also shows Buckingham Loco.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The Loco consists of a headshunt next to the two track shed, which feeds 4 lines which lead to the turntable: arrival (holds 3 locos) which includes an ash pit (with siding next to it for wagons to remove the ash) and coaling stage, loop one for holding 3 locos, loop two for holding 2, and an exit road from the table. This can lead to the shed which holds 4 locos.

The turntable is Heljan and works really well. Easy to install and program. Very accurate.

The coaling stage is Bachmann and the incline is just on polystyrene blocks (needs work) off the head shunt.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That post war livery really has to go!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

28xx and Castle outside the shed - just chillin'

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

A view from the Loco headshunt.

Now on with the wiring and servos.

Rich

Impressive trackwork Richard. This is a big project you are taking on that's for sure. Hope you can sustain the energy levels.

regards, Andy R

I know! Its the fruit of too many years of armchair dreaming. I am determined to get it working and signalled. I can see then the playing trains will become a huge distraction. The scenery will be basic. I sense Superquik on Sea looming as one club member once coined. Anyway thanks for your support and encouragement.

Cheers

Rich

Hello Rich

I like the loco coaling facility. I have the wooden ramp from my last layout (planed by the works joiner) but it is just too long for the location I had in mind.  The Bachmann coaling stage looks good.  I bought one, straightened bits of out and sold it again when I realised I had run out of space.  Its omission bothers me.

I spy some holes through the underlay and baseboard - more signal posts I guess.

Very cold outside here today.  A good excuse for not attending to the garden.

Speak again

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines

I know! Its the fruit of too many years of armchair dreaming. I am determined to get it working and signalled. I can see then the playing trains will become a huge distraction. 

Always the case.It's alleged that progress on Stonehenge slowed dramatically once the first two uprights and a crosspiece were in place as the builders started playing football....

Certainly in the case of the layout in my father's loft, once we'd got the main lines laid as far as 'Goods Junction', progress on tracklaying slowed as we were then able to send multiple units out of the station on the Up Line and reverse them back over the trailing crossover, returning them to the station on the Down Line.

• Like 1

CONTROLLING INTEREST

This week I have been making the control panel for Buckingham West. I knew it was going to be a monster, so Evenley and Banbury were good practice.

The panel is 4 feet long, 11inches deep, has 47 switches arranged as a lever frame, a few more section/isolator switches and the communication stuff which all my panels have. Its analogue of course, so thats about 120 connections off the back!

I've just worked out its taken over 20 hours to make, and thats ignoring all the evenings around Christmas designing the wiring.

The structure is a simple ply top with timber frame, painted and drilled. Choc blocks screwed on the top frame which will attach to the baseboard by hinges. The rectangular hole is for a panel mount 2 channel interia (simulator) controller by Gaugemaster. Another stand alone 2 channel controller is situated on top of the baseboard.

post-15300-0-83239600-1462172995_thumb.jpg

The top 2 controllers are for arrivals. One deals with trains from Banbury which are non stop to Buckingham. This allows them to go round the continuous run whilst the other controller can bring a train in from Evenley. The destination always drives my trains.

The two panel mounted controllers are for local movements. Just one will normally be used, but if there is a glut of operators then the second can be switched in to the yard or Loco. So if all 4 are used we could have a non stop train going round the continuous run, a train arriving from Evenley, the yard being shunted and the next loco being brought out of the shed - all controlled by Buckingham West. Of course a train could also be leaving Buckingham, controlled by Evenley.

post-15300-0-40256300-1462169143_thumb.jpg

The underside isn't as well organised as Evenley, but it is rather more busy.

Each "lever" is a mini double pole double throw switch. Thats effectively 2 switches in one. All my points and signals are operated by servos using MERG drivers (servo4 boards). They only need an on/off switch. Its either open circuit or closed circuit. So I use one half of each lever as a simple on/off using a common return (totally separate from the track common return). There are copper clad strips glued along the line of switches for the common return and little jumper feeds.

I use partial electric interlocking. Where one point or signal is dependant upon another I simple feed the 2nd switch off the required position of the first. So the circuit for a signal can only be closed circuit by the point being thrown the right way etc. using this simple "what if" logic I have built reasonably complex dependency chains. Of course its not proper interlocking. I can't prevent any lever being pulled, but I try to make it so that signals won't pull off if the route is wrong. So the operatos need to check the signals. If they pull the lever, but the arm doesn't fall, there's an issue. I've used this logic at Evenley too.

The second half of each switch is used to switch power to point frogs, or for power routing if its signal lever. More on that aspect later. Again there are copper clad strips for the common return and power feeds with jumpers to the switches. So there is just one wire out to the frog for each point. Thats two wires out per switch.

post-15300-0-37947700-1462170163_thumb.jpg

post-15300-0-19523500-1462170186_thumb.jpg

The black switches are 4 pole double throw where one lever does two points (crossover) and two different frog feeds are needed. I only needed 3 pole but they don't seem available.

There are some isolator switches/ section switches on the panel diagram. I wanted to avoid them but couldn't. They are in the Loco and at platform ends only though.

Inspired by my trip to the original Buckingham (Great Central - Peter Denny's marvelous layout - Thanks again to Tony Gee), I wanted the operation of the point and signals to deal with section isolation etc behind the scenes as it were. On Buckingham GC you don't think which controller is connected to what - you just operate the right signals. At Evenley there are section switches on the panel, but like I say, I wanted to avoid this at Buckingham. It took a lot of planning, but unlike points, signals do not need frog polarity switching. So I had a spare half a switch per signal. I used these to switch the power. So as long as the correct signalling is observed, then the right controllers will be switched in. Gulp!

To ease use of the panel, I divided it into 3 sections: main, Loco and yard.

The photo below shows the Main part. The most important lever is 2. Pulling off the Advanced Starter connects whichever controller has Evenley down main, to the down main here. Pulling off whichever Platorm Starter or Goods Starter connects the corresponding line to the Down Main. So pull off levers 1 and 2 and Evenley can drive a train out of Platform 3. I say Evenley, but of course if Evenley has also pulled off his Home and Advanced Starter then Banbury will have control all the way (for a non stop train). (Evenleys down Distant will not clear unless his Platform Starter is off as well of course).

post-15300-0-11356300-1462171351_thumb.jpg

I have used a Backing signal (which will be on the gantry) to connect the Down Main with the various sections. Instead of numerous dolls it is just one, controller by 6 different levers, with a pretend route indicator (faces away from all operators luckily) but each lever connects a different section (ie Platorm 1, Platform 2 etc).

As an operational aside, Platform 1 is arrivals only. Although you can reach the Down Main via the single slip, this is only for release of stock and locos. Signal 5 is techically an old shunt signal doll.

The next section along the control panel is the Loco. Hopefully self explanetory. The push buttons on the panel are section feeds. The buttons stay pressed in if on to give an easy visual, whilst not being levers. The turntable control unit fits to the right of this.

post-15300-0-17351300-1462171922_thumb.jpg

Next to the right is the communication section.

post-15300-0-31759900-1462171980_thumb.jpg

On the top left to right, is the space for the turntable control, then the switch for the Banbury Buzzer. There is a corresponding one on the Banbury panel. Because the bells and tappers are between neighbouring sections, I needed a method of Banbury letting Buckingham know when to drive a non stop train out of the storage onto the continuous run. So Banbury flicks its switch and a buzzer goes off under each panel, until Buckingham switches it off. The two switches are done lick Landing Light Switches, so the next time Banbury moves his switch the buzzer goes off again. So with Buckingham driving a non stop train on the continuous run on its dedicated controller, all station can still go about their own business. When it is time for that train to go to Evenley and Buckingham it will be rung through. Banbury (who of course controls Charlton Junction) rings it to Evenley who rings it to Buckingham. When cleared and signalled, Buckingham selects this controller as Arrival from Banbury on the next switch to the right and drives it in.

Next to the Arrival selector just mentioned is space for the Evenley bell tapper. Below is the hole for the controller and the 2 switches for controllers for Yard and Loco.

To the right of all this is the section is the Yard.

post-15300-0-10012500-1462172735_thumb.jpg

Now I have to wire it all in to the layout, add the droppers, make the servo arms for the points, make some more Servos, set up all the servos, make the signals...........

• Like 3

So not a wasted Bank Holiday.  Lots of thought and some neat work.  I have to admit to being slightly baffled but if I am getting the correct picture you have devised a semi automatic operation / route setting system.  Reading the list of item still left to do you will need some more Bank Holidays.

Keep up the good work.

Regards

Ray 

So not a wasted Bank Holiday. Lots of thought and some neat work. I have to admit to being slightly baffled but if I am getting the correct picture you have devised a semi automatic operation / route setting system. Reading the list of item still left to do you will need some more Bank Holidays.

Keep up the good work.

Regards

Ray

Hi Ray,

Thanks again for the interest. There isn't any route setting. Each signal and point has its own lever. It's just that a signal will not clear if the points are set against the signal. So if the route is set from platform 2 to the down main, then the platform 1 starter will not clear even though you can of course pull the lever.

As another example, say, if you think you have set up the route from Goods Reception to the down main and the starter, 8, won't clear when you pull off lever 8, then you must have set some of the points wrongly.

I hope that explains better.

Rich

Edited by Richard Mawer

• RMweb Premium

Very nice to see the "Denny" approach to wiring is alive and well!

I have learned so much about layout wiring since getting involved with Buckingham GC. Sure, it has been a steep learning curve and there are parts of the layout that have been altered so many times that I can truly say "If I were wiring this up from scratch I wouldn't do it like this" but the basic ideas behind it are sound and I will certainly use them next time I get a layout project off the ground.

Very nice to see the "Denny" approach to wiring is alive and well!

I have learned so much about layout wiring since getting involved with Buckingham GC. Sure, it has been a steep learning curve and there are parts of the layout that have been altered so many times that I can truly say "If I were wiring this up from scratch I wouldn't do it like this" but the basic ideas behind it are sound and I will certainly use them next time I get a layout project off the ground.

Thanks Tony. I was most of the way there from the various books, but to see Buckingham GC in the flesh was just so good and pushed my thinking that xtra stage. Thank you for the opportunity and I look forward to the next time.

Also on behalf of all followers, thank you for taking Peter's masterpiece.

Rich

Thanks Tony. I was most of the way there from the various books, but to see Buckingham GC in the flesh was just so good and pushed my thinking that xtra stage. Thank you for the opportunity and I look forward to the next time.

Also on behalf of all followers, thank you for taking Peter's masterpiece.

Rich

Absolutely endorse Richards comments Tony on the Buckingham inspiration. And, that is a serious looking panel Richard. Well thought out I have to say and too complicated for my little brain. I am sticking with manual point control in my station, yet to be finalised with levers,, with only electric in the storage yard due to accessibility.

I cannot wait to see Buckingham again with my intended 3rd visit from the colonies in July. My recollection of the Buckingham wiring was a lot of 'spaghetti' under the boards and I have one photo of under Grandborough Junction that is mind blowing in terms of the amount of wiring hanging down. It will be interesting to see how Tony has been able to tidy up that wiring.

Looking forward to operating the real way at my next visit.

regards, Andy R

• 2 weeks later...

HOW COMMON!

Last night I discovered the hard way that the 16v ac auxilary supply from the Gaugemaster two channel simulator controller does not have its own transformer coil. It must be taken off one of the track feed coils. I used the 16 v ac to power the non-mains controller fitted in the panel.

I use good old DC analogue, but I use common return wiring. This means in simplified form that one wire from each controller goes to a one rail of a different track section each. The other terminal from each controller are connected to each other and then this single wire is connected to the other rail of each track section. That single wire is shared by all the controllers: it is the common return.

As a kid I always belived that would work if the common return was say the negative for all controllers at any given time, but I couldn't see how it would work if one controller was switched the other way. I imagined either all trains going clockwise at one time or all going anti-clockwise. My reading said otherwise. My early experiments with MK1 also proved that wrong. All controllers behave independantly.

Well that statement needs some clarification. The controllers work independantly IF they have separate transformers/power supplies. No, I don't know why, but I know it.

I discovered that the auxilary feed from the mains controller was not independent from the track feed, courtesy of the thermal cut out as I tested the first 2 power sections at Buckingham West! I must be getting old. It took about half an hour before I thought of the two controllers using the same transformer as a possibiliy. Having checked everything for short circuits!!! Low and behold, separating the 16 v ac from the panel controller allowed the mains one to work fine. Then changing over and connecting the 16 v ac back and disconnecting the track supplies from the mains controller allowed the panel fitted one to work fine.

Tonight I shall be swapping over the 16 v ac power supply I bought for the turntable and the gaugemaster auxiliary supply.

I guess that makes the hobby fun!!!!

Rich

Edited by Richard Mawer
  • Like 1

You need a wee Gaugemaster Model E.

Your comments about the 16vAC are as expected.  I have two DS types.  I don't have any numbers to back up my theory.  However I do wonder if the left and right knobs have to be turned to slightly different positions to maintain the same output and I had surmised that this was because one winding was supplying the 16vAC going to my points (although how that fits with the CDU is another question).

Speak again

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

I've just spent a very enjoyable hour reading through your topic from the start - I'm not only impressed with what you have achieved, but thrilled with the way you've organised and arranged it.

I'm the same as you, I prefer the signalling side to driving, and for me that is the enjoyable side of modelling. While I joined the 'office mob' on the big railway, I did learn signalling on one of the bigger heritage lines, and always loved my time in the box. I'm just about to start building my own layout, on similar methods. Not as involved as yours, and in O gauge, but with DCC control, I have worked out how I can get the computer to control the operation of the trains, observe the state of the signals, and allow the operators to (in the main) be purely signallers. The yard and depot will be under local control, but that's it. The main lines and fiddle yard will be kind of automatic, running to a timetable. I've also managed to get the DCC software talking to two genuine, fully working block bells that came out of a box at Derby, so the correct bell codes, and line clear indicator will need to be sent before anything leaves the fiddle yard. Likewise, the starter can't clear unless, the line clear indicator has been received from the computer, all exciting stuff I hope!

Having found it, I'm now watching and following your thread with much interest! Oh and I agree btw ... I might be in my 30s, but the original Buckingham was inspiration for so many reasons - one modelling mag did a pull out supplement on it a few years back ... I lost count of the number of times I went through it!

Rich

Edited by MarshLane

Rich,

That is a very nice comment to receive. Thank you. I am glad you are enjoying the blog/comments. I started the comments on another section of this site. The URL is on my signature below. I am not sure if you have read that stuff yet, but that explains more where I am coming from and why. Also contains more of my original howlers with electrics.

I am very fortunate to have operated Bucking Great Central.

I have to say, I find it much more interesting to signal or drive to signals than just drive trains along or round. I also drew up a working timetable very early on and will be running this to a clock. Even more fun!

Your O gauge sounds fun too. Well done for getting a computer to talk to real bells - superb. You may just have hit on how DCC can be used properly on a REAL model! Just to stir up some comments!!!!!!!! I would love to have DCC sound, but didn't find a way of using it and keeping the signalman role. Now that looks like its been solved. My only hold back now is cost of the 20+ fleet. Hmmmmm

Do you have any link to your work?

Kind regards

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

This could get confusing!!!

The URL is on my signature below. I am not sure if you have read that stuff yet, but that explains more where I am coming from and why. Also contains more of my original howlers with electrics.

I had a quick look at the blog pieces when I first discovered this thread, but to be honest, I've never quiet got to grips with the blog section on rmWeb. Navigating around it never seems easy!

Your O gauge sounds fun too. Well done for getting a computer to talk to real bells - superb. You may just have hit on how DCC can be used properly on a REAL model! Just to stir up some comments!!!!!!!! I would love to have DCC sound, but didn't find a way of using it and keeping the signalman role. Now that looks like its been solved. My only hold back now is cost of the 20+ fleet. Hmmmmm

Thanks. I'm no electronics expert, and I'm sure there's probably a better way, but my test system, uses a PIC controller to interface between the DCC and the block instruments. Currently I've wired up six cheap accessory decoders to the PIC inputs just to prove the concept - each one simulating a different part (call attention, train entering section, train out of section, local passenger, indicator line clear, and indicator line blocked) of the run. In production though, i know that the physical decoders can be removed, and just assign a number of 'virtual decoders', with the PIC having a network connection onto the DCC bus so it can 'listen' to what's going on. At the end of the day, a switch responds to the actions of a user. The PIC is either responding to the same actions of the user (tapping the bell plunger, or setting the line dial) or its responding to messages on the DCC bus when it hears specific decoder IDs.

The computer system (I'm using TrainController) can set any decoder ID on or off, whether it exists or not, it will put the message out on the bus, and if it doesn't exist, nothing reacts or happens. However, we can get the PIC to listen to all messages on the bus. When it hears one of the 'virtual' addresses, it is programmed to react. Ring the bell, change the indicator etc. It could for example detect when a track occupation decoder becomes occupied (like a train joining your constant round and round circuit) and play an audio file (buzzer or bell) or switch on LEDs on the diagram. The options are limited only by the user and the memory space in the PIC - and there's so many to choose from, memory options don't limit us.

The same happens in return, user taps the bell plunger, the PIC can count the taps, and any gaps, then send an appropriate message on the DCC bus to a nominated 'virtual' address, which the computer can be programmed to react to. Sounds more complicated than it is!

In essence let's say we reserve address 901-949 for inbound to the computer, and 951-999 for outbound from the computer. Train is ready to leave the station. User taps, the bell plunger once for Call Attention and waits. After a set time out - 2 seconds say, the PIC detects no further bells, so sends a DCC message to decoder 903 to set it on. Computer software sees that 901 is set, and thinks ah, I'm being offered a train, responds by setting 903 to off, and 953 to on, and set a flag to remind me I'm about to be offered something. That flag could be set to time out after 60 seconds if call attention was being used to pick-up the phone for example. PIC detects 953 has gone 'on', rings the block bell once and sets 953 off. User taps out 3-1 local passenger, PIC counts the taps, and says right that corresponds to decoder 907 (for example) which is set to on. The computer sees 907 go on, it's expecting something already because of our earlier flag, and checks to see if the route is clear. If so, it returns by setting 951 to on, and resets 907. When the PIC sees 951 set to on, it knows the computer has set its block instrument to line clear, and does the same. Only now, it could also set a physical accessory decoder to ON, powering a switch to allow the starter to be cleared. If the decoder is OFF, no power the starter cannot be cleared. The process continues through train entering section, TOS etc..

The magic is once the PIC has been programmed it can be replicated as many times as possible, different virtual decoders can be used for each box. There may well be easier ways, but that's what I got to work, and using TrainController and things calls flagmen, it's all doable. And I think, very realistic, and exciting. Of course, I'm planning to put this onto a one-man operated layout, but for multiple operators as in your case, the computer could just be replaced by another PIC unit. So operator, really is talking to operator, and the bells and block instruments are connected to the PIC.

I love the idea of the realism and getting it working right. In some respects, DCC really enables new things, and makes others easier. You could get the PIC to trigger an audio recording on the platform when the signal clears, to example - 'this train is now ready to depart' etc.. Lots of opportunity. The advantage with TrainController is that because the signals are operated using DCC decoders (whether by handset, computer or an analog switch connected direct to the decoder) it knows the state of everything, and one of the modes is automatic driving, but stopping at red signals. So my theory is the whole thing can be taken a stage further. Once all the above has gone through, and starter cleared, the computer can trigger a journey from A to B, where it will control the train speed at all times, but if it encounters a signal at the next box down the line, it will bring the train to gradual stand. When the operator clears the signal, it will gradually resume its journey. The ability to put in variables, such as different stopping patterns, freights running to the platform end signal, but passenger traffic stopping in the middle of the platform, just add to the realism and variety for me.

I've probably given you a major headache now and will be responsible for several hours in a darkened room!

My only hold back now is cost of the 20+ fleet. Hmmmmm

If you do consider it, my advice would be go down the simple decoder road first it's a lot cheaper - at least for the first four or five locos. Not all have to be sound fitted to start with, and the decoders aren't wasted when you upgrade them - they can be fitted to coaches with just the lighting contacts used to turn coach lights on/off, or make the tail lamp flash. Just a thought.

Do you have any link to your work?

At the moment no, I'm about to start a thread on here for my new layout, so I'll include some of this on there in the not too distant future, along with some pictures. If you ever decide to have a play with any of the above, let me know, I'll happily help - and like I say, it could be done with two PIC microprocessors (which are very cheap) without even the need for a computer! I'm using the Digitrax DCC system btw, but I think the bus messages are an NMRA standard across most popular manufacturers.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 1

I've kinda got your drift. Not au fait with all the techi bits.

The principle does sound good. Depending on the complexity of your layout, you'll need good interlocking. Even the best signalmen had their moments and if the trains do what the signals say...........

I will watch your progress with interest.

As for DCC for me, I'll stick with DC for now. I know what I am doing (I think). Sound will be the reason I change and it needs to be cheaper. But if I do, then your ideas sound great.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

I've kinda got your drift. Not au fait with all the techi bits.

The principle does sound good. Depending on the complexity of your layout, you'll need good interlocking. Even the best signalmen had their moments and if the trains do what the signals say...........

I will watch your progress with interest.

Hehe! Apologies if I've confused you Rich! I did wonder after I'd hit post if I'd had got carried away and too technical!

As for the interlocking, well that could stay manual or go digital too. I have a mate of mine trying to CAD design a lever frame similar to the Westinghouse miniature lever frames, that will have digital interlocking for levers as well as the actual points/signals, so again, with simple rules (if A allow B, else permit C etc) you could make it as easy or as complicated as you like! But I'll stop hijacking your thread and shut up now!

Rich

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

PROVING GROUND

A good railway day yesterday. Railex in the morning, then the afternoon operating Buckingham West properly (ish) for the first time, with my good friend John.

Only the platforms, throat and half the yard at Buckingham are working, but we were able to run trains to and from Buckingham to Banbury via Evenley. All controllers worked. All connections between stations worked and using the correct signalling passed control between the stations. For example, Buckingham can drive a train out of Banbury onto the circuit while bringing another into Buckingham from Evenley while Evenley shunts the yard, and Banbury drives a non stop from Buckingham through Evenley and onto the circuit. Etc. all done by signals. Happy boy.

Now to wire in the rest of Buckingham - oh yes and make 5 more Servo 4 boards in the process!