N scale signals, signal boxes, water towers, etc.

GreenDiesel

I’ve been working on a 27” wide by 68” long N-scale layout since the winter and, while it’s coming along well, I’m getting a little frustrated trying to obtain some of the infrastructure items for it.  Finding and purchasing these seems either harder or more expensive compared to 00 scale.

I’m looking to obtain a home and distant signal, a station halt platform, water tower, etc.  In 00, you can usually buy signals for about $20.00 CAD (or £10.00), which is quite reasonable. But in N, it seems that the only options are to buy a completed signal (with motors that I don’t need) for an expensive £28.00 or to buy a kit.  The kit prices are quite reasonable but I’ve been put off kits recently, mainly because I don’t have that much time to build kits at the moment or because I don’t do a great job.  

BTW, I'm looking for steam-era signals, probably GWR or LMS ones from the 1930/40s.

Does anyone know of any affordable N scale signals that don’t need assembling? Having said that, I am still interested in hearing feedback about the best kits as I suspect they actually are easy  to put together.

Thanks in advance!
Rob

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Try searching for 'signals' in ebay in the N gauge section. I found lots of listings including sets of 5 for less than £20 - not sure about Canada delivery cost, but worth a try. The search also produced some railway buildings.

Hope this helps.

Nig H

Rob,

As far as ancillary buildings and structures are concerned, Hornby do a reasonable range of complete and painted models - the "Skaledale" range. I presume that they have a North American agent, or you could probably buy on line.

An alternative is the "ScaleScenes" range of downloadable pre-printed buildings and structures. Capable of very good quality results, provided that you take care with assembly and weathering.

Check out their websites and the card modelling forum of this site.

Signals are a separate issue ! Ratio do a range of plastic signal kits which don't take too long to assemble and paint but they are quite fragile. Probably not a problem if it is a home layout that you don't expect to exhibit.

Otherwise, I have only managed two signals on my own layout and should have about 15. You either pay through the nose for the pre-made ones or you spend a long time fabricating your own.

Best wishes,

John

An alternative is the "ScaleScenes" range of downloadable pre-printed buildings and structures. Capable of very good quality results, provided that you take care with assembly and weathering.

Check out their websites and the card modelling forum of this site.

There is also 'Smart Models'  www.smartmodels.co.uk , run by Brian Taylor.  He has a range of printed building kits and building papers in a variety of scales which you simply download and print off as often as you like.  Each download is 99p, but I don't know what the charges are in other currencies.   He recommends printing them on matt photo paper as that gives cleaner and sharper detail than 80gsm copier paper because the inks don't run together.   I saw examples at Perth Show and they looked good.   I've yet to try them and have some ideas on incorporating the building papers into CAD drawn buildings.  That will have to wait until I fill the sheet of trial etch artwork I'm working on plus a few other jobs in the pipeline.

Jim

Archived