Tees Yard WRD

Alcanman

Almost 11 months ago when introducing my layout 'Furnace Way Sidings' I wrote :

Posted 02 October 2014 - 15:40

The idea for my new layout came along after reading an article in the June 2013 Rail Express which featured small wagon repair depots.

The lead photo showed such a small C&W facility at Blyth Cambois. Although I'd visited the small TMD at Cambois, I wasn't aware of the facility which consisted of some hard-standing next to a siding along with a few wagon storage sidings.

The article also showed a modern compact WRD, including loco fueling, at Tees Yard, built by EWS in 2013. This looked good for a small layout. 
(It was actually 2012 not 2013)

Of course, I got side-tracked and a wagon repair depot did not feature in the layout. However, I've found myself returning to the article, particularly the page featuring ' A modern day wagon works'

Here is a link to one of the photos shown on the page

As you can see the facility is very compact with just a fan of short sidings, a small repair shed and a fueling point on the headshunt.

Here is my initial track plan, as with all my layouts, measuring 9ft x 15ins.

post-7898-0-99540500-1441014501_thumb.jpg

The end of summer usually marks the start of the 'modelling season for me, so I'm hoping to get started on the build soon.

In the meantime, I would welcome any comments, info, pics regarding Tees Yard WRD or any other modern wagon repair depots.

Thanks, Mal
Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 7

Looks interesting Mal, it might be worth having a look at the link below for Swad Lane, a Layout I bought from a chap that worked in one at Derby and so has all the internals as well as road and Yard markings etc. I wish I had had the room to keep the Layout as Wagon Works have so much potential.

Good luck with the project, I will follow with interest.

• Like 1

Thanks Andy, that's exactly what I'm looking for. There are loads of TMD layouts here on RMWeb but not many featuring a WRD and it's all the little details that really make the layout.

I'll spend some time looking at Swad Lane , looks like a quality layout.

Hi Mal

A great location for a small layout.

I was a regular visitor to Tees Yard until 5 years ago when my interest in the "modern railway" began to fade. I thought I knew your chosen location well until I checked the google link. Passing the remains of the yard on the train to Middlesborough, I hadn't noticed the new EWS stabling/servicing facility.  

post-13274-0-53218100-1441059028.jpg

This is how it looked when I last photographed it in 2009. The new additions, with the fan of short sidings, now definitely make it a much more interesting location to model.

Good luck with the project. I'll be following your progress.

Regards

Alan

Edited by 60091
  • Like 5

Thanks Alan. Your pic is most helpful, as it shows more of the fuelling point than other pics I've seen.

The pic also shows what Rail Express described as a 'shanty town' of buildings which will be interesting to model . Also notable is the Class 60 in the pic, quite a few seem to feature in the pics I've looked at, particularly in DBS red.

This led me to buy this one which will be weathered and dcc sound fitted in due course.

post-7898-0-13717200-1441096633_thumb.jpg

It will be joined by these 2 66s

post-7898-0-69055100-1441096769_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks Andy, that's exactly what I'm looking for. There are loads of TMD layouts here on RMWeb but not many featuring a WRD and it's all the little details that really make the layout.

I'll spend some time looking at Swad Lane , looks like a quality layout.

If you're looking for 'small details', have a look at the thread on 'Tonbridge West Yard'; the things that Paul Wade's modelled from scratch are amazing.

Hi Mal

Sorry I just couldn't bring myself to tick the like box for the photo of your new Class 60... it's these new fangled liveries.. :)

The 60s are lovely looking locos, and maybe I'm too old fashioned but I think they never looked better than with Coal Sector black diamonds.

It's interesting to see whats been happening at Tees Yard, and I've decieded it's probably time to get off the train at Thornaby again and take a few photos next time I'm down that way.

Looking at your plan, I was wondering if it was a home layout or were you also planning to take it to exhibitions? Hope you don't mind a comment... but... what about extending the fuel point track back into the fiddle yard to give the impression that it was on a loop. More operational flexibility but maybe not prototypical?? 

post-13274-0-42069200-1441146665.jpg

Another shot of the "shanty town" in 2009. Hope it might be of some use.

Cheers

Alan

• Like 3

Thanks Alan.

I like your idea of extending the fuelling point track into the fiddle yard. It would,indeed, give more operational flexibility and double the storage area by adding a further point.

post-7898-0-80988500-1441181816_thumb.jpg

Unlike my previous layouts on RMWeb, I decided to start the thread before commencing building the layout as I felt I needed more info, ideas etc.

I've just found Tees Yard WRD on Google Maps and it looks like the fuelling point is actually on a thru line coming from Tees Yard. It's not on a headshunt which the pics appeared to suggest.

So maybe your suggestion is actually more prototypical.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/thornaby+train+station/@54.5589651,-1.3021209,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xe13a6f2d7096f0f4

The layout is home based, located against a bedroom wall and not portable for exhibitions.

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 3

I've just found Tees Yard WRD on Google Maps and it looks like the fuelling point is actually on a thru line coming from Tees Yard. It's not on a headshunt which the pics appeared to suggest.

So maybe your suggestion is actually more prototypical.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/thornaby+train+station/@54.5589651,-1.3021209,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xe13a6f2d7096f0f4

The layout is home based, located against a bedroom wall and not portable for exhibitions.

Hi Mal

I wasn't sure how familiar you were with the location.... yes the fuel point is on a through/transfer line which not only leads into the three sidings but also,eventually, out to join the Thornaby-Middlesborough main line.

I thought altering it to a siding was a small adaptation you'd made

Keeping the fuel point on the track at the "throat" leading to the sidings (as at the actual location) definitely wouldn't work on a small layout as once a loco arrived to re-fuel or for minor servicing, nothing else on the layout would be able to move!

Alan

Keeping the fuel point on the track at the "throat" leading to the sidings (as at the actual location) definitely wouldn't work on a small layout as once a loco arrived to re-fuel or for minor servicing, nothing else on the layout would be able to move!

Alan

I agree with your comment above. I think I'll probably go ahead with 'plan b'. I'll simply use the bottom 2 tracks in the fiddle yard to store locos which can arrive/depart the fuelling point.

The top 2 fiddle yard tracks will be use for locos and wagon arrivals/departures at the wagon repair depot. Locos can also make their way to the fuelling point.

So plenty of variety in operations.

I can't manage a pic of your favourite coal sector 60, but I've gone back in time to when 60007 was in Loadhaul livery

post-7898-0-34445900-1441267756_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 5

If its pictures of Thornaby and Tees Yard your after...

http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/f429016339

Hope that helps!

Thanks David. Some great pics there and excellent reference for my project. Also given me a much better idea of the area surrounding the WRD/Fuelling point.

I'm afraid it's 35 years since I visited Thornaby when it looked like this

post-7898-0-27598700-1441294917_thumb.jpg

Fuelling point ...

post-7898-0-90700800-1441294955_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

The Load Haul 60 gets a "like" and I also wanted to add an "agree" to your comment about the track layout.

I think, as you said, that there should be plenty of operational potential with that track plan. I've found that it's often too easy, when a designing small layout, to end up putting too much track down or to start thinking about adding an extra foot or two to one end or the other.

What type of bridge are you planning to use for the scenic break at the entrance to the fiddle yard?

Not really relevant - 2 more shots of the location from 1999.

post-13274-0-50494700-1441317552.jpg

post-13274-0-76416600-1441317578.jpg

At this time, what is now the fueling point was an overgrown transfer road.

Not sure what purpose the weird chimnney served, or when it was dismantled.

Alan

Edited by 60091
  • Like 5

Good images - I had plans for a fueling point area using the Bachmann  Shunters Mess and assorted cabins and containers - never really got of the ground and the buillding was sold on last week but not seeing Tees Yard it is uncannily familiar to what it would've looked like.

Thanks

Ian

• Like 2

The Load Haul 60 gets a "like" and I also wanted to add an "agree" to your comment about the track layout.

I think, as you said, that there should be plenty of operational potential with that track plan. I've found that it's often too easy, when a designing small layout, to end up putting too much track down or to start thinking about adding an extra foot or two to one end or the other.

What type of bridge are you planning to use for the scenic break at the entrance to the fiddle yard?

Not really relevant - 2 more shots of the location from 1999.

attachicon.gifPICT1476.JPG

attachicon.gifPICT1477.JPG

attachicon.gifPICT1478.JPG

At this time, what is now the fueling point was an overgrown transfer road.

Not sure what purpose the weird chimnney served, or when it was dismantled.

Alan

Thanks again for the pics, very useful. Totally agree with your comments regarding the temptation to cram in as much track as possible  From the pics, it's very clear just how spacious the Tees Yard area is, and not just because of rationalisation.

With regard to the bridge, I've looked at Google Earth, and the massive concrete flyover which overlooks Tees Yard isn't very appealing, so I'll probably use something generic like the one I used on Furnace Way Sidings.

post-7898-0-14120400-1441356279_thumb.jpg

The very clean, shiny 08 on your pic reminded me of my latest purchase.

post-7898-0-23684200-1441356460_thumb.jpg

The pic is a tad unkind as it shows the obvious flaws in the Bachmann model - oversize connecting rods and handrails. A bit of judicious weathering will cure that.

Although DBS withdrew their 08s last year it appears they are back in favour, as 08752 has been repaired at re-instated at Tyne Yard.

• Like 8