Scottish region weed killing train 1950's-60's

kingfisher24

Might be what you want?

There is passing mention of weedkiller train in St Andrews 17/4/67 in book: St Andrews Railway Oakwood 146. 

Consist B1 61180, brake van, single goods van, 6 tankers and 2 ex LNER Gresley coaches DE 320995 and DE 320946 

Also a photo in D. Cross' "On Glasgow & South Western Lines" - from memory it is an 8F hauled train in the vicinity of Ayr, Alloway Junction or thereabouts.  I suspect other photos of the same train feature in other Cross publications too.

• 5 years later...

I appreciate that this reply is rather late in the day but I have only just come across this post. The train referred to in the previous posts is in fact the North - Eastern Region's train. It sprayed the Scottish Region as well as the NE Region during the time I was involved with it between 1964 and 1967. I have a number of photos which I would be happy to pass on if they are of use. In the meantime here are two photos to give you an idea

1965_07_04 Shunted on to the Askern Branch at Shaftholme Junction.jpg

1965_07_15 Train at Low Moor MPD.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 5 months later...
On 05/01/2021 at 17:36, 4474 said:

I appreciate that this reply is rather late in the day but I have only just come across this post. The train referred to in the previous posts is in fact the North - Eastern Region's train. It sprayed the Scottish Region as well as the NE Region during the time I was involved with it between 1964 and 1967. I have a number of photos which I would be happy to pass on if they are of use. In the meantime here are two photos to give you an idea

1965_07_04 Shunted on to the Askern Branch at Shaftholme Junction.jpg

1965_07_15 Train at Low Moor MPD.jpg

Apologies I havnt logged into rmweb in aaages. That’s great thank that would be a help. I’m just trying to make something a little bit different. I’ve recently seen some footage of a weed killing train at Crief in the late 50’s made from a couple of WD tender and some inks lnwr coaches. Then another made from some ex k3 tenders and some very scruffy looking Gresleys. There are possibilities with both but I’ve just moved house a month ago so any modelling can wait for thnow. While I re make a modelling area AGAIN haha

gary