Heljan Metropolitan Bo-Bo

metmangraham

I had expected that a post would already exist for this new model, but could find none. I am sure I cannot be the first to receive the new Heljan Bo-Bo model, but, hey-ho, here goes...

Having pre-ordered this model in the summer of last year, I had almost given up ever receiving it, but it was worth waiting for. I completed my Radley model a long time ago, and I reckoned the acid test would be whether I could stomach the two models standing beside each other. I was concerned that the sizes would be obviously different and that my not completely competent assembly of the Radley model would preclude comparison. Happy to say, the two look good together. My only problem at present is that my layout is yet to be re-incarnated following a house move in January. Plans are afoot....

As for the Heljan model itself, I think it looks really good. Obviously the detailing is finer than is possible on the Radley model, though overall I am very happy with that as well. The colours on my Heljan model ('Sherlock Holmes') are very close to the finish on my Radley model, so well chosen, me! Perhaps those who know more about this loco than I do will find errors here and there, but it certainly brings back fond memories of seeing the locos in the '50s.

My only carp is that it took me a full 10 minutes to work out how to unpack it and then carefully extricate it! I know I was excited and also terrified of damaging it as I extracted it from its packing, but I did wonder at the time if Danish humour was significantly different to ours! I have never had a Heljan model before. Perhaps all are similarly thoroughly and securely packed.

Cannot wait to get my layout re-established. And thank you, Hatton's.

Graham

Archived