Railway & Modelling Obituaries

GORDON WEDDELL

bbishop

• RMweb Premium

Sad to report that Gordon has died.  Author of the four books on LSWR Carriages and an excellent modeller as well.

Bill

His plans, (presumably the same ones?), also appeared in various issues of Model Railway Constructors, throughout the 1970s, in long series. Later some in Model Railways.

• RMweb Gold

Bill

Very sad news indeed, like you I knew Gordon in person via the South West Circle and his humour and knowledge of LSWR rolling stock will be sorely missed. Luckily much of his information will live on the books he had published.

I assume he now be under the great white roof (SWC in-joke) in the sky

RIP

Gordon used to attend the local EMGS meetings (North West Surrey Area Group). When he gave up 4mm modelling, a few years ago, to take up the senior scale he passed on some models both finished and unfinished to the group. I have therefore on my shelf some fine wagons made by himself.

As a tribute here is a fine LSWR van, signed and dated (1969) on the underside by Gordon.post-4587-0-24851400-1441394160_thumb.jpg

RIP Gordon.

Andy

ps I can see him being carried to next world not in the arms of heavenly angels, but in Mr Drummonds Bug. All salute as he goes by.

• 3 weeks later...

I had an update from Richard Stevenson,

"I went to Gordon's funeral today to represent the EMGS. The address finished with a quote from Andy's RM Web post: "I can see him being carried to the next world not in the arms of heavenly angels, but in Mr Drummonds Bug." It was explained that this was a locomotive!

There were representatives present of the SW Circle, Epsom Club, Bluebell Railway and a flying club. He had recently been learning how to fly a helicopter.

His stepdaughter and step son-in-law are well aware of the potential value of his research notes and drawings and these will be passed to appropriate homes in due course."

Apparently flying was his latest adventure and I understand that he was not allowed to fly solo except for one flight required for qualification. I am also led to believe that he may have been the "elderly man" involved in the crash at Churt.

Andy

• 5 months later...

Archived