OCTOBER 2015 BRM + FREE DVD

OCTOBER BRM + FREE DVD

Afternoon Everyone,

Hope you're all keeping well and full of enthusiasm for the new modelling season. The October 2015 issue of BRM goes on sale in shops on Thursday September 10. It will be available to download as a Digital Edition TODAY (September 4th). Click here to Go Digital.

We hope you enjoy reading (and watching) it, as much as we enjoyed putting it together. Let us know what you think!

Ben

post-22012-0-19996100-1441367169.jpg

FREE DVD with every copy!
Included on this month’s DVD is:
* Ian Mellor’s ‘Fourgig East’ layout in O gauge
* A footplate experience on the Severn Valley Railway
* Phil Parker offers advice on scribing stone walls
* Deluxe Materials’ Strip Magic is ‘Tried and Tested’
* We speak to Keith Pearson aka ‘Mr Soundguy’ about his latest developments in DCC Sound

In this month's magazine...

HERITAGE HEROES: 3 Quality Layouts in OO, N and O, based on Britain's wonderful preserved railways
Goathland (OO): The North Yorkshire Moors Railway is one of Britain’s favourite heritage lines. Hannah and Simon Denham choses to recreate a famous ‘Moors Line’ location.
Bewdley (N): The Severn Valley Railway has many modelleable locations, one of which has been captured by Telford Railway Modellers Group.
Fourgig East (O): This first foray into O gauge from Ian Mellors started life as a tracklaying demonstration, but has blossomed into a popular exhibition layout.

BRM Project Layouts
Stokesay (N): If you’ve got an awkward corner on a baseboard, allotments are a great way to fill the space.        
Ruston Quays (OO): Phil Parker follows a clever plan to create a high-level passenger line for our new project layout.

Practical BRM
September Lineside: Michael Russell on how to capture the right greenery and colours for late summer lineside locations.
Detail the Heljan AC Railbus: Bringing to life the latest O gauge release from Heljan.
Create a realistic water scene: The second instalment to complete his masterpiece river diorama.
Populate your High Street: How a little thought on placing figures on your layout can bring a street scene to life.
Fit sound into a Dapol ‘Hall’: John Gymer of YouChoos fits Zimo Sound into a Dapol N gauge GWR ‘Hall’.
Make an EWS Class 37/7: Nigel Burkin transforms a Bachmann refurbished ‘37/5’ into a Heavyweight Class 37/7.

News & Reviews: 18 Page New Products Special!
What’s New: Livery samples of Dapol’s Class 73s and Tower Models’ Limited Edition ‘Warships’.
Reviews: Rails of Sheffield’s exclusive LMS 10000 and 10001, Kernow’s Adams LSWR O2, Bachmann SR CCT/PMV vans in OO, Graham Farish LNER A2 and Oxford Rail’s first RTR OO gauge release.

Plus…
Prototype Inspiration: Inside Track by Paul A. Lunn, featuring ideas for layouts based on preserved railways
Show Preview: The National Festival of Railway Modelling in Peterborough
Readers’ Projects
Diary Dates
Tail Lamp

Subscribe and save money. Click here!

post-22012-0-19996100-1441367169.jpg

Just want to say that as a (recent - three months) digital customer I really, REALLY appreciate the fact that you can see the "Free DVD" content online. Other mags. I digitally subscribe to are varied and some don't give that content.

Well done for that. Now back to looking at the current issue...

• RMweb Gold

Page 106 states a free download on the dvd... As a digital Subscriber I can't find it again ☺

Enjoyed the dvd this month, nice footage of the Severn Valley and you really make me want a footplate experience now.. So that worked ☺

• Moderators

Page 106 states a free download on the dvd... As a digital Subscriber I can't find it again ☺

Enjoyed the dvd this month, nice footage of the Severn Valley and you really make me want a footplate experience now.. So that worked ☺

Great issue but as stated above I can't find the free scratch builders materials mentioned. Last time this happened it was an error and I had to delete and download again once it had been fixed.

This issue has a FREE Tillig catalogue included on the DVD - the link can be found on page 81. The toolkit mentioned on page 106 is a mistake - this was included with last month's issue (still available to download as a digital edition).

I am getting fed up with Pocketmags.com’s inability to provide a digital copy of BRM through a consistent medium. I admit I am still on Vista, however when I took out my subscription Vista was supported by Pocketmags and they have never told me that has changed (Customer Service?). Now it seems that only Windows 8.1 & 10 are supported.

With the October issue of BRM Silverlight reader does not work at all and the new HTML 5 reader does not provide any content, so I am left with Flash reader online and a beta off-line reader, none of which will allow me to print a page.

When my subscription is finished in March next year I do not intend to renew the digital subscription. A good friend of mine has a printed subscription and he will let me read his copy and should I wish to make a copy of any pages I will put them in my scanner. I do not want to go down this route, so hopefully you can do something about the problem.

• Moderators

I am getting fed up with Pocketmags.com’s inability to provide a digital copy of BRM through a consistent medium. I admit I am still on Vista, however when I took out my subscription Vista was supported by Pocketmags and they have never told me that has changed (Customer Service?). Now it seems that only Windows 8.1 & 10 are supported.

Hello Rick,

I can confirm that Pocketmags magazines can be read with Silverlight on Windows 7, not just 8.1 and 10. 

It is not hard to keep software compatible with older windows systems. One problem might be people writing code which is not universally compatible. I prefer to keep my web code simple. I noticed many years ago that some functions would only work on some operating systems(usually the one preferred by the software supplier), so I did not use them. 

It is more likely, given what has been noticed by many, is that software companies want people to buy their latest software. Not only is this morally wrong, but most of the new software is full of very damaging bugs, and is far more likely to make many move away from those software suppliers.

I am still on Vista. It may not be perfect but it does most things I need, but I have started to notice some oddities online. I had put it down to my old laptop struggling, but am wondering if it was not something else. I have had no problem reading other digital magazines online.(thought I had better check, and I have just accessed CM on 'Exacteditions' website, no problem.

• Administrators

I've looked in newsagents in Whitby today and it is not on the shelves here. Has the distributor reported any problem?

I've just checked and no, nothing has been reported. Someone from Chesterfield has posted a similar problem on our Facebook page, but nothing else.

Anyone else having problems?

Steve

• Administrators

I received my issue this morning

out of curiosity ben are you taking a back seat from presenting the dvd as this month it is howard and phil and last month it was andy

We were getting too many reports of kids being scared!

Only kidding, we purely wanted to rotate the presenting duties. Ben will be back in no time...

The time to start worrying is when we get Steve to present a DVD. :)

Don't take this the wrong way but I think Howard and Phil's presenting skills are more natural than yours and Ben's. Both you and Ben come across as being very nervous when presenting.

• Administrators

Neither of us are professional presenters, we can probably talk more comfortably to a theatre full of people than the camera lens.

Nah, we're brilliant at talking to an audience as well.

And can I just say it is a please to share a forum with anyone as wise as Tase. Obviously someone of great discression. :-)

Archived