GWR / BR 15100 Diesel Shunter

• RMweb Premium

All my shunter books concur that the works number for 15100 was HL 3853/35

The works place is oval, text top and bottom with a simple '1935' across the middle. none of the photos I have access to (printed or web) are clear enough to fully make it out, but similar plates on the LMS versions of similar vintage show the plates to read:

ENGLISH ELECTRIC

HAWTHORN LESLIE

so the actual works number is NOT featured on the plate.

Clearest pic I've found is plate 14 (LMS 7073) in the older Marsden Shunters book (OPC) - Plate 35 in the same book is the best one of GWR No.2 (15100) and, looking closer, plate details are identical to that described.

Edited by CloggyDeux

Thank you both very much, that answers the question.   I  had heard that the works number was NOT on the plate, but required it to be confirmed.

Many thanks, Ian

PS.  If you could answer my question in post concerning NBL works number of 90763  I would be eternally grateful.

Cheers, Ian

I think this shot of 15100 covers it! 

http://www.railphotoarchive.org/rpc_zoom.php?img=0146020019000&aid=&_FACT=125&_UP=25&InFrame=&_PAGE=

Also on the question of the Austerity and many other BR locos this site might help.

http://www.britishsteam.com/

And it does because you get to this page on 90763.

http://www.britishsteam.com/php_wd/usr_riddles.php?PME_sys_fl=1&PME_sys_fm=0&PME_sys_sfn[0]=9&PME_sys_sfn[1]=23&PME_sys_sfn[2]=20&PME_sys_sfn[3]=-11&PME_sys_sfn[4]=2&PME_sys_sfn[5]=6&PME_sys_sfn[6]=-1&PME_sys_sfn[7]=-22&PME_sys_sfn[8]=13&PME_sys_sfn[9]=19&PME_sys_sfn[10]=14&PME_sys_sfn[11]=-3&PME_sys_sfn[12]=-26&PME_sys_sfn[13]=4&PME_sys_sfn[14]=12&PME_sys_sfn[15]=-10&PME_sys_sfn[16]=0&PME_sys_operation=PME_op_View&PME_sys_rec=1072

But while looking I could not see any sign of BR locos in the main having works plates fitted.

It seems to be a preserved or non BR fitment to me,  brass shortages during the war?

Edited by stevegr

Thanks Stevegr, that certainly answers my question.

There are some photos in the 'The Book of the WD 2-8-0s and 2-10-0s', that show the diamond NBL works  plates on some locos, during BR times.

Although situated in a strange place, normally on the right hand side of the loco above the bracket for the middle connecting rod., 

Cheers, Ian

• RMweb Premium

There's only one way to sort this out.........................

Mike.

Yeah... I could breach copywrite and scan/post the pic of GWR #2 from CJM's book which shows the plate and it's 1935 date... but I won't ;P

Personally Alan, somehow I don't need to have a fight.

I had a look at his posts this evening and guess what they all try to make negative responses in a thread. 

I've not been on here that long despite my join date, but since I have been I've noticed all he does is try to make arguments by daft posts in a thread that were not.

The thing here is to ignore them, it makes up for anyone who moderates on here not noticing! 

• RMweb Gold

Personally Alan, somehow I don't need to have a fight.

I had a look at his posts this evening and guess what they all try to make negative responses in a thread. 

I've not been on here that long despite my join date, but since I have been I've noticed all he does is try to make arguments by daft posts in a thread that were not.

The thing here is to ignore them, it makes up for anyone who moderates on here not noticing! 

Oooh, touchy.

I'd get your sense of humour bypass sorted out first.

A lot of us know each other personally on here and enjoy having a joke.

Mike.

• Like 1

In "The British Internal Combustion Locomotive 1894-1940" by Brian Webb, it is quoted as HL3853/35. Confusion may have arisen as the loco was not delivered to GWR until April 1936. So that's it. If anyone starts fighting, I'm going to run home and tell my mommy.

• Like 1

In "The British Internal Combustion Locomotive 1894-1940" by Brian Webb, it is quoted as HL3853/35. Confusion may have arisen as the loco was not delivered to GWR until April 1936. So that's it. If anyone starts fighting, I'm going to run home and tell my mommy.

in the C J Marsden book it was delivered in late 1935 to Swindon Work then its 1st operating Allocation at Old Oak Common in April 1936

I built a 4mm GWR No2 model from the Judith Edge kit

the build is here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=60&hilit=gnr&start=500

5551025157_507803c9ed_o.jpg4mm GWR Loco No2 built from the Judith Edge kit fitted with a Highlevel Gears 108_1 gearbox by brian mosby, on Flickr

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

@mozzermodels how easy to use cameo to create these vinyl decals?

I'm in the market for a vinyl cutter to do some jobs. I'm on the fence what kind of machine to use.

I've looking on the internet and there's nothing just hype. Finally I came across a blog that looks like the real deal.

Since i'm leaning towards curio or cameo it was the perfect comparison. Have you guys seen this silhouette curio vs cameo?

Is Cameo that hard to learn and that buggy that you can't use the bluetooth connection?

Edited by RichardoN

4 hours ago, RichardoN said:

@mozzermodels how easy to use cameo to create these vinyl decals?

I'm in the market for a vinyl cutter to do some jobs. I'm on the fence what kind of machine to use.

I've looking on the internet and there's nothing just hype. Finally I came across a blog that looks like the real deal.

Since i'm leaning towards curio or cameo it was the perfect comparison. Have you guys seen this silhouette curio vs cameo?

Is Cameo that hard to learn and that buggy that you can't use the bluetooth connection?

Hi Richardo

the lining is HMRS transfers & the No2 is if i remember Right fox transfers i have never used a cameo

• 11 months later...
On 09/09/2015 at 15:41, mozzer models said:

in the C J Marsden book it was delivered in late 1935 to Swindon Work then its 1st operating Allocation at Old Oak Common in April 1936

I built a 4mm GWR No2 model from the Judith Edge kit

the build is here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=60&hilit=gnr&start=500

5551025157_507803c9ed_o.jpg4mm GWR Loco No2 built from the Judith Edge kit fitted with a Highlevel Gears 108_1 gearbox by brian mosby, on Flickr

the link appears to be broken!