Bachmann announce Class 117 and Class 121 at Collectors Club event

Andy Y

Bachmann announces two new OO Scale models

At the Annual Bachmann Collectors Club Members Day held today (Saturday 5th September 2015), Bachmann announced two new OO scale Bachmann Branchline models in the form of a three car Class 117 Diesel Multiple Unit and the single car Class 121 diesel railcar.

post-1-0-63132700-1441471091_thumb.jpg

Class 117 

The Class 117 Diesel Multiple Units (DMUs) were built between 1959 and 1961 at Pressed Steel’s Linwood works in Scotland and were initially allocated to British Railway’s Western Region. The units were formed of Driving Motor Brake Second (DMBS), Trailer Composite with Lavatory (TCL) and Driving Motor Second (DMS) vehicles with 42 each of the DMBS and DMS vehicles constructed along with 39 TCLs. Used predominantly as 3 car units, initial workings were on suburban services out of London’s Paddington station and in Cornwall. Where additional capacity was required at peak times, the units could be coupled to other DMUs fitted with the same Blue Square code couplings which allowed multiple working giving the driver control of every vehicle in the train from just one cab.

After many years in service on the Western Region, an extensive refurbishment programme saw most units upgraded between 1974 and 1984, with a number of refurbished units moving away from the Western region to replace older designs which were being withdrawn throughout the country. Some Units even went as far afield as Scotland. Following Sectorisation the units which remained allocated to Southall came under the ownership of Network SouthEast, however these would eventually be displaced by new Class 165/166 ‘Networker’ DMUs. The other units which were spread around the country fell under the control of Provincial Services, which later became Regional Railways. Some NSE units were retained as two car units for working the Bletchley to Bedford and Gospel Oak to Barking routes by Silverlink.

The first units were retired from service in 1995, with all of the units withdrawn from passenger service by the end of the 1990s. Many of the class have survived into preservation including a 3 car set which operates regularly on the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway. 

Features:

• Switchable directional Lighting

• Interior lighting

• Provision for DCC Sound

• Prototypical exhaust pipe variations

• Gangway and non-gangway versions modelled 

• 21 Pin DCC socket

• Through couplings between vehicles enabling single decoder operation

Three versions will be produced initially:

35-500 Class 117 Three Car DMU BR Green Speed Whiskers - Era 4/5

35-501 Class 117 Three Car DMU BR Blue Grey - Era 7

35-502 Class 117 Three Car DMU Network SouthEast – Era 8 

In addition the following model is being produced as a Limited Edition model for Kernow Model Rail Centre.

35-500Z  Class 117 Three Car Unit in BR WR chocolate & cream – Era 8

post-1-0-21913400-1441471226_thumb.jpg

Class 121 

Essentially a single car version of the Class 117 DMU, sixteen Class 121 units were built by Pressed Steel at their Linwood works in Scotland. Fondly nick-named ‘Bubble Cars’ by enthusiasts and railwaymen alike, the Class 121 is Britain’s longest serving class of DMU with examples still running to this day, 55 years after their introduction in 1960. All 16 were built for use on British Railway’s Western Region serving a number of branch lines including those diverging from the main line in the Thames Valley and the Looe branch in Cornwall.

The units were given a new lease of life following an extensive programme of refurbishment under British Rail including the fitting of new interiors and fluorescent lighting. By 1994 and the privatisation of Britain’s railways the majority of the class could be found in departmental use and these units came under the control of Railtrack. Four Class 121s remained in passenger service at the time and these came under Silverlink ownership, working between Bletchley and Bedford. 

Chiltern Railways continue to operate two Class 121s on passenger services, predominantly between Aylesbury and Princes Risborough whilst Network Rail also has one unit which is used for route learning, video surveying and sandite operations. In addition, eight have survived into preservation and examples can be found operating at various locations across the UK.

Features:

• Switchable directional Lighting

• Interior lighting

• Provision for DCC Sound

• 21 Pin DCC socket

Three versions will be produced initially:

35-525 Class 121 Single-Car Unit BR Green Speed Whiskers – Era 4/5

35-526 Class 121 Single-Car Unit BR Blue Grey – Era 7

35-527 Class 121 Single-Car Unit Network Southeast – Era 8

In addition the following model is being produced as a Limited Edition model for Kernow Model Rail Centre.

35-525Z Class 121 Single-Car Unit in BR WR chocolate & cream – Era 8

David Haarhaus, Bachmann Europe’s Sales & Marketing Director said today “We have been working on producing a high density suburban DMU for some time and we are now able to take this project forward. We are delighted to once again be working with Kernow Model Rail Centre to bring two all new Branchline models to market. Following on from our successful collaboration to develop the class 205 DEMU, we are confident that our exciting new announcement will again prove popular with modellers and Bachmann Collectors Club Members."

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

These units will hopefully be up to Bachmann's previous high standards for their multiple unit models, i.e. class 105. I'm hoping, for the announcement does not say, that the power cars will have the same unobtrusive motor and gears as in the LU S stock motor cars.

With regards,

Market65.

Fair enough.

Have to agree with you to be fair. It's been announced by others previously Dapol for the 121 and DJ Models for the 117. Are the manufacturers running out of different classes to produce. Bachmann are my favourite manufacturers to be fair but don't like the muscling in on others previous announcements. Could be a good few years before we see it with Bachmann's recent progress with new models. still no sign of the likes of the Stanier mogul. Is that nearly 4 years since announcing?

• Like 1

I think this is good news although I would have preferred the far more numerous 116.  However, the 117s lasted longer and carried more liveries I believe.

Plenty of scope for Bachmann to do other liveries in future. I would regard blue as essential and it's surprising it's not mentioned. There were unlined and lined green versions too.

5769035729_b46d354d50.jpg117 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

2335387105_0cf5d25023_z.jpg?zz=1W51386_28-5-60 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

2172920620_1c31c06fec_z.jpg?zz=1117_Blue_Southall_9-77_m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Edited by robertcwp
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Can only assume it's a 117 because of Kernow correction. For me a 116 is a lost opportunity . Much more geographically widespread, 117s only really became more widespread in their later lives.

I'm still waiting to see what Kernow mean by saying they haven't forgotten 116 and 118. DJ is saying the 117 transfer to Bachmann releases time for other projects , does that mean he is not progressing the 116/118 either? Are Bachmann working with Kernow to bring us the 116/118 later or has this Bachmann announcement of a 117 effectively shelved these projects ?

Also the announcement would have been more meaningful if it included a rough timeline (as was asked is this at the back of the queue , behind the Class 90 or is it well advanced) and of course price. The inclusion of neither suggests the 117 could be years away

• Like 1

The units were formed of Driving Motor Brake Second (DMBS), Trailer Composite with Lavatory (TCL) and Driving Motor Second (DMS) vehicles with 42 each of the DMBS and DMS vehicles constructed along with 39 TCLs. Used predominantly as 3 car units, initial workings were on suburban services out of London’s Paddington station and in Cornwall. 

Hum.  On delivery in 1960 the 117s went to London and the 118s to the West Country.  By 1962 some 118s were working from Reading.  Honest!

Chris

• Agree 1

I always liked them in the Regional Railways livery they carried for a short while whilst covering for the demic Class 323 units in the Midlands before their transfer to their place of birth in Scotland.  I managed to get a few trips in on the Cross City and as two car power-twin "faux Sprinters" on the Walsall line in this livery, and they carried their age well.  Hopefully this livery will come out in due time.

• RMweb Premium

For those wishing to confirm rather than foam over the history of this announcement please refer to the statements put out by both Kernow MRC and Bachmann.  Kernow had both a three-car 117 and a bubble car already scanned and have been able to work with Bachmann on both projects.  This allows us to benefit from potential price easing and far wider distribution of the models.  It would allow Kernow MRC to progress other commissions yet to be announced (I'm sure they have something nice up their sleeve) so ultimately it benefits all parties.

We have a choice of three catalogue releases and one livery commission on each of the three car and single car units.  Realistically Kernow MRC might not have produced more than this despite listing a far wider range of options.  That was done in order to ascertain customer interest levels as I understand their initial announcement and they never promised to do more than release those which got more than 250 orders.

The unit cost for R&D plus production of 3x250 units would be quite significant and I already see eyes watering at the prospect of a 3-car DMU priced above £200.  Kernow's class 205 units are coming in at that level now and are only 2-car.  A third coach might have added another £75.  Bachmann are able to spread those costs over a far greater production run hopefully easing the cost to the end user.

Kernow MRC has also made a public comment that they have not forgotten the class 116 / 118 units for which they intended to use slides in the 117 tool for production if that went ahead.  I realise the 116 was more numerous and geographically wider-spread but the 117 somehow captures more awareness and potentially market sector.  Let us wait and see what announcement eventuates for those other types.

In terms of delivery Kernow MRC are listing the 117 / 121 units as "Expected 2016/7" which is probably about the same time frame as would have been the case had they remained commissioned jobs.  OK it's around two years away and things may change in that time but it is at least some indication.  The £tba is only given because no price has been advised by Bachman yet.  Given the current climate it would be a brave man who now quoted a price for an item due to be produced in China two years hence.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Noted in the other threads which discussed this yesterday.  Dapol had announced their intention but may have done little or no work on the project.  With the Kernow-Bachmann units already scanned and development likely to be well under way the Blue Box is surely going to pull the rug from beneath the Purple Box on this one.  Some of us had doubts privately as to whether Dapol would in fact ever produce the goods despite them having the market already in N-scale.

I would have been more impressed if they were bringing out a Class 104 DMU.  Some 300 units of these were built as against about 100 Class 117.  The Class 104 also had a much wider geographical spread (I'm thinking about the North-West, especially about the Buxton line) and ought therefore to have larger number of prospective purchasers.  Please think on it Bachmann.