Bachmann announce Class 117 and Class 121 at Collectors Club event

Andy Y

Thanks for your replies. Very helpful.

I find the choice of destinations curious for the blue/grey versions. Whilst no doubt working these services, I would have thought something far more regular for 117's would be Paddington to Reading or Slough, whilst for the 121 either a Thames valley branch (Slough/Windsor would be an obvious one) or Paddington to Oxford line where these often supplemented 117's or stood in for a missing 117 power car.

Also find the choice for the NSE slightly curious. Whist no doubt working these services occasionally, certainly in NSE days 101's and 104's supplemented the 119's on their last legs more than 117's did. Again I would have thought destinations from Paddington to Slough, Reading, Oxford, Newbury or Bedwyn would have been more appropriate.

Do we know how easy it might be to change the blinds?  

• RMweb Gold

Well, Monk Bar Models, York have them listed as out of stock. They always do that a couple of days before new stock arrives, i.e. it’s a ‘place holder’ listing. I fully expect to be in York by next Tuesday making my purchase. Exciting times.

Rob.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, rodney21 said:

Thanks for your replies. Very helpful.

I find the choice of destinations curious for the blue/grey versions. Whilst no doubt working these services, I would have thought something far more regular for 117's would be Paddington to Reading or Slough, whilst for the 121 either a Thames valley branch (Slough/Windsor would be an obvious one) or Paddington to Oxford line where these often supplemented 117's or stood in for a missing 117 power car.

Also find the choice for the NSE slightly curious. Whist no doubt working these services occasionally, certainly in NSE days 101's and 104's supplemented the 119's on their last legs more than 117's did. Again I would have thought destinations from Paddington to Slough, Reading, Oxford, Newbury or Bedwyn would have been more appropriate.

Do we know how easy it might be to change the blinds?  

I like the NSE version, so have started on a model of Gatwick airport and it’s station........seriously though , I’m saddened the standard blue grey 121 doesn’t have Marlow as I’d have to have that one....but I never saw the KMRC one so that’s no good 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, rodney21 said:

Also find the choice for the NSE slightly curious. Whist no doubt working these services occasionally, certainly in NSE days 101's and 104's supplemented the 119's on their last legs more than 117's did.

I certainly remember the 117's being on the Reading-Guildford stretch much more often than Class 104's (I don't remember seeing them very often at all) , and working pretty much as equally as the Class 101's in NSE days. Difficult to know how often they were on the Reading-Gatwick trains though, I could see the set and coach numbers from my bedroom window, but sadly not the destination boards. It's a pity I never kept any records of them.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Finding this discussion on the headcodes all a bit London-centric! There are other places you know. 

117s were very common to Gatwick, in fact there was a time when I don’t think you got much else. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, D1051 said:

Any ideas what Destination blindes are on the 117/121 in BR green ?

I can't help you with the bubble car, but the three-car set in green is Paddington and Newbury.  I bought one from Grimy Times this afternoon. :-)
HTH,
Bob

Edited by Phatbob
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Paddington is fine but the green ones, also in their early blue days, had either Paddington (Main) or Paddington (Suburban) to indicate whether they were expected in the main station or Bishop's Road (platforms 13 / 14).  

117s were not known at Gatwick or Redhill until well into the blue/grey era.  The route was the home of SR 3R (class 204) "Tadpole" units with occasional appearances from 3H (class 205) "Hampshire" or "Berkshire" units.  IIRC there were just a couple of WR duties from Reading to Guildford and back.  Once the WR took over they used class 119 / 120 Cross-Country units on a regular basis only producing 117s on rarer occasions.  Later still the route was home to class 101 and even occasionally class 104 units but 117s were the exception rather than the rule.  

I'm looking to pick up a 121 when I can; the 117 looks lovely but I have several detailed Lima sets and must admit I'm not a big fan of the modern 'through-wired' DMUs - it was very common for the various blue square DMUs to run in mixed formations and I can do this with my Lima ones but not with the Bachmann version with their plug fit set couplings. I amy not be able to resist one though should they be discounted in a few months time.

'''Finding this discussion on the headcodes all a bit London-centric! There are other places you know. '''

I suppose the suggestions about destinations are 'London-centric is because for 95% of their working lives they worked between London and Reading with common visits to Oxford, Newbury/Bedwyn and Basingstoke (Post Thumpers).

I would suggest we will see a wider geographical spread of destinations if/when Bachmann may do a Regional Railways set.

ps. not wanting to be pedantic but I am aware there are places outside London - I do actually live significantly north of Peterborough but just happen to model WR based loosely on Reading.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

59 minutes ago, rodney21 said:

'''Finding this discussion on the headcodes all a bit London-centric! There are other places you know. '''

I suppose the suggestions about destinations are 'London-centric is because for 95% of their working lives they worked between London and Reading with common visits to Oxford, Newbury/Bedwyn and Basingstoke (Post Thumpers).

I would suggest we will see a wider geographical spread of destinations if/when Bachmann may do a Regional Railways set.

ps. not wanting to be pedantic but I am aware there are places outside London - I do actually live significantly north of Peterborough but just happen to model WR based loosely on Reading.

Probably means Bachmann are saving for later releases, next batch might have new liveries or destinations

It will be interesting to see if Bachmann produce 117 power twins as many operated that way at the end of their lives (eg Cornish and Scotch examples) . That would reduce the cost and maybe increase the market for this unit. Would be good to see a sound version too. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

NSE liveried 117s definitely worked to Gatwick and in earlier times a well know model shop proprietor actually took a photo of one.  I wonder what the set number is on the Bachmann NSE liveried set ;)   i turst taht Chris will excuse his photo appearing here but if he doesn't he'll no doubt tell me

1337477659_117gatwickworking.jpg.75a90fc2fa9d825814f9e736d39484d8.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

If the speaker in other Bachmann/Farish models I've played with is anything to go by, they'll be a candidate for swift replacement. I'm thinking with a Bowser dual speaker setup, these work great in other installs I've retrofitted with them and they should nestle into under DMU chassis gubbins very well. I'm hoping an Earthmover is a viable option mind you.

Still waiting to hear when my local shop is reopening, let alone when they'll be taking delivery of the pair I have on pre-order.

Arrived today and it really is a stunning model with tons of detail. The lighting is comprehensive and the cabin well adapted to adding passengers with the low profile motor. Impressed.

IMG_20200622_130550.jpg

IMG_20200622_130500.jpg

Edited by Markn
  • Like 10

39 minutes ago, Coppercap said:

Is the driver standing? Otherwise, he must be a good 7' tall!

Haha hadn't noticed until you said it. No he's sitting, but the seats are a bit high I guess. Will lob a bit off the pedestal when I open it up again, which by the way its really really easy to access the internals without using tools.

Edited by Markn
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Thanks for posting the pics.  Can we take it the body comes off easily as you've added passengers so soon?

It certainly does, 6 internal clips (2 end, 2 middle, 2 end) and it pops off. There are no wires to mess with either with the internal lighting bar holding everything.

• Thanks 1