Bachmann announce Class 117 and Class 121 at Collectors Club event

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Markn said:

Haha hadn't noticed until you said it. No he's sitting, but the seats are a bit high I guess. Will lob a bit off the pedestal when I open it up again, which by the way its really really easy to access the internals without using tools.

Driver doesn't look that high to me: https://tomcurtisrailgallery.weebly.com/uploads/6/9/0/3/6903499/w55000stavertonsdr250611.jpg (not my photo)

Roy

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh happy day! The 117’s have arrived at Monk Bar Models in York. I’ll be going on Wednesday to purchase a set, plus a 121. I’d go tomorrow but other commitments are preventing me from doing so. What a great week this has turned into. 

Rob.

1 minute ago, Class 158 productions said:

How was the noise? I have noticed on the newer 158s that the motor is louder than other units, obviously not a deal breaker just interested.

Negligable really. Certainly nothing to make me think it was loud. Going to do a little running video later so will try and post a link here.

14 minutes ago, Class 158 productions said:

How was the noise? I have noticed on the newer 158s that the motor is louder than other units, obviously not a deal breaker just interested.

There is some motor noise from each twin as you'd expect for two motors per unit, but its not obtrusive. Wheel on rail is probably louder than mechanism noise from both of mine. Both units are also very well speed matched, with current draw almost identical for each unit.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With the same motor and drive train on the class 158’s, that’s what I’ve found myself. Wheels on rails being the loudest sound. It’s certainly what I’m expecting from these excellent looking models.

Rob.

• Like 1

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Markwj said:

How easy are they to dcc fit,

Very straightforward, unclip the body and the decoder socket has plenty of space in the guard's compartment.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Thanks for the info zunnan ...I’m jealous !

Unfortunately I don’t have a station on the plank so need at present, but hopefully one day - what I’d really like Is a bubble plus one combo like those that ran in the Marlow branch as this was my main riding experience, before swapping to the 117 at Maidenhead for the journey to reading , and then HST to Weston ! Happy days !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, aureol40012, I’ve just checked Rails site, and they are not yet in stock, but, like I said earlier on, Monk Bar Models, in York, have eight in stock of each of them. I hope that is of some help.

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To correct a letter.

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

Has anyone taken delivery of one from Rails yet? They usually are the first to get stuff but I’ve seen nothing saying they’ve even received any yet!

It rather depends upon the distribution logistics.  At least some retailers were expecting them in late today but probably too late to get any out or on their web sites until tomorrow.  

Here's a short collection of running clips including a run up the branchline, cab lights on/off, down the branchline, then a few fast shots at various vantage points. Absolute cracking runner.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

35 minutes ago, nat37670 said:

Can you leave the centre car in the box and run this as a two car with no issues?

Yes, the DMBS and DMS will run without the trailer.

I've already begun to wonder if I can capitalise on people only wanting 2 car units and cut n' shut some TCL to stitch together a TS for a 4 car with the cab roof domes replaced to have destination blinds. ;) Technically that idea will also need the windows of the surviving TCL altering too...

• Like 4

I'd be interested to know if anyone has fitted sound and what sound product they are using. Is the speaker the same as the 158? Is sound fitting straightforward? Thanks! 

Incidentally, does anyone remember what years these operated around the Exeter area? I seem to remember 118s, but don't recall 117s appearing very often. Memory may be playing tricks of course... 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

Has anyone taken delivery of one from Rails yet? They usually are the first to get stuff but I’ve seen nothing saying they’ve even received any yet!

No - I phoned them yesterday, they do not have them is stock yet.

18 hours ago, Zunnan said:

My big concern going in to these units was the couplers. And having handled them, to be honest, I still really do not like them in the slightest. They aren't too obtrusive when running, certainly no more so than on my N Gauge class 101s used on Bournville. But what I really don't like about them is the force required to couple and uncouple them.

Class 116 next please!!!!!

Just received my first from Derails.

I coupled up by laying the coaches on their side on a clean flat surface. There's better ability to exert gentle pressure on the underside of the coupling.

Haven't uncoupled yet.

116 for me as well.

• Like 1

Uncoupling was the problem with the 158 - in fact it was so tricky and fragile I resolved not to uncouple unless absolutely necessary.  With a 3 car unit you will need to uncouple individual cars sometimes just to move it safely from one place to another...

I think these are great units overall but Bachmann seem to have come up with a coupler that is both too chunky and too fragile.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, 89A said:

I coupled up by laying the coaches on their side on a clean flat surface. There's better ability to exert gentle pressure on the underside of the coupling.

Care is certainly needed when coupling these, laying on a soft flat surface to couple putting as little force into the coupling cam and then tilting the model upright to rail it is certainly more ideal, but that in itself presents issues. What if that is not an option? What if the constraints of the layout mean it has to be assembled and then lifted to a storage cassette? I know plenty of exhibition layouts where there just isn't room to assemble a 3 car unit in anywhere near as ideal a manner. Having to couple and uncouple this unit repeatedly for exhibition or even club room conditions is going to present problems. My units simply will not be going to the club, or be made available for exhibition use. I've killed a Blue Pullman doing exactly that already, I've learned that lesson.

Also, if anyone is interested I measured the max current draw on straight DC of each 3 car unit to be 205mA and 202mA, with a 40mph(ish) canter coming in at 120mA. Throwing a spirited start from an isolator straight to half power registered 180mA before settling down to 120~130mA. I have to say, I am more than impressed.

By comparison, one of my Dapol 122s drew 160mA to get moving, 320mA for approx 40mph running and peaked out at 420mA. And that's one which I removed a driveshaft and geartrain on the now undriven bogie to improve its running.

For now, I'm holding out on DCCing both of mine until a v5 project is ready from a certain someone...

• Informative/Useful 1

I say, here's fun, some side-by-side pictures of the Dapol 121 and the Bachmann 121. OK, they're not at the same angle, the lighting's rubbish, they're dusty, etc. etc. I've brightened the side-on one so you can see the underframe.

The guard's door handrails are different on each model, they're two separate rails on the Dapol model. The handrails on the cab are very different, much more prominent on the Bachmann. The Bachmann also has that excellent speedo cable. The Dapol cab has a slightly more angular look which I think might capture the appearance a tiny bit better.

121_1a.jpg

121_2a.jpg

121_3a.jpg

Edited by StuTheUseless
I'm an idiot.
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8

8 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

Cancelled my months long reservation with them and gone with Derails instead!

Hi,

Our stock is arriving today. After contacting Bachmann to see why ours seem to be arriving after others, they informed us that social distancing is causing a few delays in the warehouse. Furthermore it seems our new arrivals order has been picked with a large restock order which has meant it took slighter longer to pick and pack!

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Regards
Oliver @RailsOfSheffield

Edited by Oliver Rails
spelling
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1