Bachmann announce Class 117 and Class 121 at Collectors Club event

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I wish Bachmann had done the Class 121 Driving Trailer Second to go with the single car. They could have done it as a boxed set and a fairly easy model to recreate.

I wish Bachmann had done the Class 121 Driving Trailer Second to go with the single car. They could have done it as a boxed set and a fairly easy model to recreate.

Isn't this the same body as a Class 117 DMS. (but different underframe)? I expect it will appear in time but best let the 121 appear before Bachmann take the next steps.

Chris

As you rightly say the Class 121 DTS has the same body as the Class 117 (I believe these never had gangways fitted) and different underframe (same as the TS without the toilet outlet maybe); they would be easy and hopefully well received model if Bachmann decides to extend the tool use.

Keith

As you rightly say the Class 121 DTS has the same body as the Class 117 (I believe these never had gangways fitted) and different underframe (same as the TS without the toilet outlet maybe); they would be easy and hopefully well received model if Bachmann decides to extend the tool use.

Keith

Perhaps surprisingly; given the work they were designed for; some of the 121 DTSs (originally described as Class 149) did have end gangways retro-fitted. There are photos of W56289 preserved at the East Lancs Railway which clearly show this feature http://preserved.railcar.co.uk/56289.html. From memory it was not unknown for the Western Region to substitute a failed 117 DMS with a 121 trailer. This left the 3 car set to rely on just one pair of engines; far from ideal but better than nothing. Another odd combination which was known to have occurred was a 3 car set formed of 117 DMS+121 DMBS+121 DTS. Quite why the bubble was formed in the middle of the set is beyond me as if they had marshalled the trailer in the middle it would have allowed through movement between two cars (but still no toilet or first class facilities, obviously).

KG

Edited by apollo 079
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Class 117 cars on show on the Bachmann stand today at the Grand Central event.

Looks really nice but what on earth are those car-car couplings about? They are huge and so unsightly. Might be less stand out when the chassis are black but will still look odd in my opinion.

6243355A-E7DD-4173-A7DA-4511C5F7776D.jpeg

E6159C5A-DDAC-45FA-AE4D-8C85FDAB1D1A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, dibber25 said:

That's the standard coupling used on other units such as the Blue Pullman to avoid the need for two decoders.

Cheers Chris.

Think I’d settle for two decoders instead but the favourite would be through wired bar coupling like the 101. But I guess the 117 has more functionality. I know there’s a good reason it’s like this but my word! It looks ugly.

Out of interest, how does it look on the Blue Pullman?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, dibber25 said:

That's the standard coupling used on other units such as the Blue Pullman to avoid the need for two decoders.

There looks to be 14 pins on that connector, surely that many can’t be needed?

Roy

• RMweb Gold

It's the same connector they used on the 4-TC set as well. It allows a single decoder to control the headcode panels and interior lighting independently, so i'm assuming the same on the 117. IIRC they are 6 pin connectors on the TC, but they look like 8-pin connectors on the 117. Maybe it has all wheel pickup for once?

The only downside to these connectors is it won't be possible to use a 121 in place of the DMBS or DMS, without modifying them. I don't think this will bother most people though.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

At this price you'd hope so; the Dapol is let down badly by the floor.  I'm not complaining, mind; the Dap's floor and this one's price are enough to stop me wanting one for Cwmdimbath anyway, not to mention that their use in the area post dates my period, so I don't have to worry about them!

On 15/06/2019 at 04:50, 66738 said:

Cheers Chris.

Think I’d settle for two decoders instead but the favourite would be through wired bar coupling like the 101. But I guess the 117 has more functionality. I know there’s a good reason it’s like this but my word! It looks ugly.

Out of interest, how does it look on the Blue Pullman?

Sorry, I have only just revisited this page, so I'd missed your question. I've taken a couple of shots - one on a curve to show the maximum and the other on the straight where the coupling is fairly well hidden. Can't say the couplings bother me at all from the appearance point of view but both the Pullman and the 4CEP stay on my layout the whole time because I really don't enjoy coupling and uncoupling them. (CJL)P1230031.JPG.e7ba127cfa90997b44448fc592d12923.JPG

P1230032.JPG

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It really is looking like the definitive model of a first generation DMU. I will make that purchase of a BR green set. And in answer to a question asked earlier, the 117 and 121’s from Bachmann have a much lower floor level than Dapol’s 121’s and 122’s. I’ve seen them and the seats are ‘all there’ unlike the Dapol models.  Much like the Realtrack class 156 units.

Regards,

Rob.

3 hours ago, dibber25 said:

Sorry, I have only just revisited this page, so I'd missed your question. I've taken a couple of shots - one on a curve to show the maximum and the other on the straight where the coupling is fairly well hidden. Can't say the couplings bother me at all from the appearance point of view but both the Pullman and the 4CEP stay on my layout the whole time because I really don't enjoy coupling and uncoupling them. (CJL)P1230031.JPG.e7ba127cfa90997b44448fc592d12923.JPG

P1230032.JPG

Cheers Chris. That doesn’t look too bad at all.

Shame a 121 Replacing a 117 driving car will be difficult. Like has been said already, it was a common sight and as a young DMU fan, it fascinated me back in the day.

1 hour ago, 66738 said:

Cheers Chris. That doesn’t look too bad at all.

Shame a 121 Replacing a 117 driving car will be difficult. Like has been said already, it was a common sight and as a young DMU fan, it fascinated me back in the day.

I think it will be more visible on the DMU, particularly on the original non-gangway version, as there was very little between those cars before they put the GWR-style suspended gangways on them. It will, however, be a big improvement on the massive Lima couplings! I guess DCC users might be able to replace the MBS with a Class 121 by 'consisting' them as you would with multiple US locomotives. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 1