Dapol 08

Kickstart

Peter,

From my experience at Toton they were single manned when engaged in shunting duties in the various yards but double manned on trip work outside the yard confines and for light engine moves on the main line.

Regards, Mick.

• RMweb Premium

I was rather hoping I could get away with a blue one on the Kent & East Sussex Railway in 1905, but it's the wrong shade of blue!

You never know with Dapol, did you see the colour of the 73s?

• 3 weeks later...

Advert in the latest Model Rail magazine showing the BR Blue 08's as being released this Month :-)

Just debating now whether to wait for my green one or decide that I really would rather have a blue one instead...

Not that I'm impatient or anything... :-p

Advert in the latest Model Rail magazine showing the BR Blue 08's as being released this Month :-)

Just debating now whether to wait for my green one or decide that I really would rather have a blue one instead...

Not that I'm impatient or anything... :-p

At the bargain price, buy both! Better value than the 4mm versions.

My housemate suggested much the same actually :-/

I'm sure I don't need 2 of them...

But I have had some overtime this month...

What better way to reward myself for all that hard work..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has there been a sample in blue with wasp stripes yet does anybody know?

I have seen photos of black ones but nothing else.

I had assumed there would be some photos about as these I believe are due in the next month or so?

If anyone has seen any shots I would be interested to see them.....thanks in advance.....

The latest email I have had from Joel at Dapol on Tuesday has confirmed the Blue & Black 08's will be here at the end of July, followed by the Green version later.

I'm really looking forward to receiving my order of 08's for what I believe will be a benchmark loco in O Gauge.

Regards

Chris

P.s Orders are still being taken but Dapol have said stocks will be limited due to the amount of pre-orders, which show the 08's will be a good seller.

I cant wait for them to appear, as soon as I inspect one in the flesh I'm sure I will open the wallet and get one, or maybe two. At less than £200 each they cant be missed.

People claim 0 gauge is expensive, but with models like this around how can 00 or N gauge modellers justify paying £90 for their versions?

I might even throw my old part built kit into the bin!!

I cant wait for them to appear, as soon as I inspect one in the flesh I'm sure I will open the wallet and get one, or maybe two. At less than £200 each they cant be missed.

People claim 0 gauge is expensive, but with models like this around how can 00 or N gauge modellers justify paying £90 for their versions?

I might even throw my old part built kit into the bin!!

Don't get too carried away by the sub-£200 price; Dapol are having to honour the price they originally (& maybe somewhat rashly) promised when they announced the model some - what, 4 or 5 years ago??? Further runs later may well be somewhat more expensive.

I find it interesting that N & OO prices are pretty much the same these days - sometimes N is even more expensive, yet I never see any threads complaining about it!!??!! Whereas the price of O scale (especially R-T-R) is often cause for comment or complaint, & I hold my hand up to being guilty of that myself, usually as a result of paying a lot less for US models than UK.

• RMweb Gold

I find it interesting that N & OO prices are pretty much the same these days - sometimes N is even more expensive, yet I never see any threads complaining about it!!??!! Whereas the price of O scale (especially R-T-R) is often cause for comment or complaint, & I hold my hand up to being guilty of that myself, usually as a result of paying a lot less for US models than UK.

The crude reasons are as follows: tooling costs increase with scale ie larger scales require more metal and potentially more detail. OO wins on market size so tooling can be amortised across many more sales. So any benefits N has in cheaper tooling are lost by the smaller market, in contrast O has a smaller market and higher tooling costs.

• RMweb Premium

Great to see a running version, the slow running looks good. May even pre-order a second un-numbered version before the price rises.

Also, I'm guessing sound could be added at a later date? I'm still on the fence about sound-enabled locos.

Couple more pictures on the Golden Valley MRC blog here, alongside a Bachmann one (blue) and an older kit built one (green-possibly MMP, but don't quote me on that). You'll have to scroll down a little way to find it, it's the second post at time of writing.

I "drove" it into positon for the photos. It's very quiet and smooth, didn't have any issues with the pointwork although the track is pretty good so not too much of a challenge.

Well I'll probably find myself in the doghouse but I've just pre-orded a Rail Blue version from Hattons. I'm into 00 gauge but at that price I had to get one before the price sky rocketed, who knows I may re-venture into 0 gauge one day.

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I do sympathise with those who have been waiting for an 08 for a very long time that they'll be waiting a while longer. The black one looks very fine but they're too big for me.

Dava

I've pre-ordered the DCC Supplies limited edition loco D3120 which is in green with wasp stripes with with the early BR logo. In the post today came Steve Jordan's book of 08 liveries which is great, but not a single one has green livery and the early logo. I'm sure DCC Supplies have done their homework, but my question is was D3120 the only one painted like that and has anyone a photo of it? I'd have liked to renumber my model but if it was a one off clearly that isn't an option. If there is a picture it would make sense to weather my loco using the real thing as a reference.

Having said they, my deposit hasn't been taken yet so I'm not holding my breath.

Peter