Dapol 08

Kickstart

Guest 40-something

just chipped my 08 with lenz silver chip lights one end cab lights okay only top light other end so going back monday!!!! still superb loco for money tho!!!!

You need at least 5 functions for this loco, Zimo & TCS (I think) do chips that are suitable.  Nothing wrong with the loco

Edited by 40-something

• RMweb Premium

Right - taking the need for a 5 function DCC chip out of the equation can someone write a comprehensive list of how the lights work on pure DC?

Like d600 both my post-TOPS Blue 08s have a single white (top) light illuminated in the direction of travel only. No rear lights. Cab light works. On DC should you ever see a red 'rear' light? A video I found on YouTube of a black 08 shows the same as that. Single top light, no rear.

Is this correct? Not correct?

I find it suspicious I'd have two 'lemons'.

Martin

Just got mine today, 08202, as I live in Canada. Really pleased with it, and have now decided to move forward with my O gauge collection. Initially I thought I had cancelled the blue one, as I have also a green one on order, along with a 15, thinking that one era would suffice, but now glad I screwed that up since its arrival lol. Went to get some O gauge track yesterday from my local model shop (about 110km away!) But I was told that he only stocked 3 rail track (I assume for Lionel trains), so will have to put in another order now for test Track and hope it arrives before Christmas. One Ray of light is that I also got confirmation of two of my preordered 16t mineral wagons have just been dispatched, and hopefully the class 15 will be soon (hopefully soon anyway).

Dave

Just got mine today, 08202, as I live in Canada. Really pleased with it, and have now decided to move forward with my O gauge collection. Initially I thought I had cancelled the blue one, as I have also a green one on order, along with a 15, thinking that one era would suffice, but now glad I screwed that up since its arrival lol. Went to get some O gauge track yesterday from my local model shop (about 110km away!) But I was told that he only stocked 3 rail track (I assume for Lionel trains), so will have to put in another order now for test Track and hope it arrives before Christmas. One Ray of light is that I also got confirmation of two of my preordered 16t mineral wagons have just been dispatched, and hopefully the class 15 will be soon (hopefully soon anyway).

Dave

I got some O gauge track and components from Steve at Model Railway Imports ( http://www.modelrailwayimports.com/suppliers.php).  I also ended up, after some toing and froing getting a lot more than I had originally intended.  His stock isn't extensive but I get the impression he keeps the basics, like flex track.  Probably best to drop him a line.  Steve is a contributor here.

John

Right - taking the need for a 5 function DCC chip out of the equation can someone write a comprehensive list of how the lights work on pure DC?

Like d600 both my post-TOPS Blue 08s have a single white (top) light illuminated in the direction of travel only. No rear lights. Cab light works. On DC should you ever see a red 'rear' light? A video I found on YouTube of a black 08 shows the same as that. Single top light, no rear.

Is this correct? Not correct?

I find it suspicious I'd have two 'lemons'.

Martin

Hello Martin

The shunting lights red & white on front and rear only work on DCC.  On DC the marker lights work and the cab light is optional via a switch on the board.

If you want the shunting lights to work on DC you will need to rewire the loco.

Norman

Hello Martin

The shunting lights red & white on front and rear only work on DCC.  On DC the marker lights work and the cab light is optional via a switch on the board.

Norman

Just had another fiddle with mine, a black one 13240.

I presume the cab light switch is the side to side slider on the PCB board at the cab end of where the DCC blanking plate ends, please could someone confirm this. My cab light doesn't seem to work on either switch setting, and this is on DC.

I have noticed that the DCC Blanking Plate is quite a slack fit, I haven't bent or damaged any of the pins which are all true, is it possible something isn't quite making contact?

The loco runs beautifully on DC, using Ye Olde H&M Powermaster, and no doubt woulld be even better on something a little more 21st century.

John

Edited by John Tomlinson

• RMweb Premium

I presume the cab light switch is the side to side slider on the PCB board at the cab end of where the DCC blanking plate ends, please could someone confirm this. My cab light doesn't seem to work on either switch setting, and this is on DC.

Hi John, just popped my 08202 open and tried. Can confirm that switch turns the cab light on / off for me in DC only mode, with 'On' being the switch flipped towards the side the 'J4' socket is on the PCB. Obviously on DC the cab light will only illuminate when model is in motion.

Hello Martin

Norman

Hi Norman,

Thanks - I intend to have mine running on DCC in the future. Just trying to clear up the surrounding confusion about what works on DC and what doesn't before sending 'faulty' units back.

I've found a post on the Dapol Digest about 'Charlie' where Neil from Dapol also confirms that 'there is only meant to be the top directional light in direction of travel in DC mode'.

There could have been more clarity from Dapol about the lighting and required DCC decoders but overall it's a nice model and runs beautifully at slow speeds on a DC controller.

This 08, the Peckett from Minerva, the Pannier(s) and Jinty start to make entry to O gauge a much easier jump.

Guest Q663368

Those models of D3045 look nothing like it  :mosking:

Brian's latest kit. You can imagine how wonderful it will be when it's finished.

Interesting to know it did not get a TOPP's number. Should that be one P or two P's ?.

• Like 1

Was having a look at one of these at Thornbury yesterday and only short term cash flow concerns stopped me purchasing...

I once heard, “Cash flow problem is another name for insolvency.” Eyeing some of the desirable objects arriving shortly, I know the feeling. However, I have also heard, “Insolvency does not mean that you own less than you owe. It means that you cannot pay your debts as and when they become due.” I think that we might both be in the financial clear, just about.

So long as we don’t give in to temptation beyond our ability to sustain it, as you obviously don’t, we might be fine but, as has been said more than once, one or two manufacturers might well go over the cliff.

• Like 1

Hi John, just popped my 08202 open and tried. Can confirm that switch turns the cab light on / off for me in DC only mode, with 'On' being the switch flipped towards the side the 'J4' socket is on the PCB. Obviously on DC the cab light will only illuminate when model is in motion.

Hi Norman,

Thanks - I intend to have mine running on DCC in the future. Just trying to clear up the surrounding confusion about what works on DC and what doesn't before sending 'faulty' units back.

I've found a post on the Dapol Digest about 'Charlie' where Neil from Dapol also confirms that 'there is only meant to be the top directional light in direction of travel in DC mode'.

There could have been more clarity from Dapol about the lighting and required DCC decoders but overall it's a nice model and runs beautifully at slow speeds on a DC controller.

This 08, the Peckett from Minerva, the Pannier(s) and Jinty start to make entry to O gauge a much easier jump.

Thank you for this. I've tried mine again and the cablights work with the switch as you describe. Being in a bright room they aren't very noticeable but I obviously should have looked more carefully!

This thread, particularly the sound clips, may well prove to be the push that finally gets me into DCC, given how much extra is enabled with a model such as this.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

A few questions from someone who hasn't seen one yet.

Is it a "wonderful model", or a very good one at a good price? Is it, say, as good as the Hornby 00 one? As I said, I haven't seen or touched one yet and I bought my Bachmann one before I saw the Hornby one.

Are the blue/black ones painted, or moulded in blue/black plastic?

Surely logically the cab interior light should if anything be on when stationary and off when in motion?

Finally, any news of when my pre-ordered green one (possibly with a black bonnet) will be arriving?

Cheers

Ed

A few questions from someone who hasn't seen one yet.

Is it a "wonderful model", or a very good one at a good price? Is it, say, as good as the Hornby 00 one? As I said, I haven't seen or touched one yet and I bought my Bachmann one before I saw the Hornby one.

Are the blue/black ones painted, or moulded in blue/black plastic?

Surely logically the cab interior light should if anything be on when stationary and off when in motion?

Finally, any news of when my pre-ordered green one (possibly with a black bonnet) will be arriving?

Cheers

Ed

Its probably a wonderful model if you are in love with 08's - However I'd rather sit admiring my Manor Class - That era had a lot more going for it - in my opinion. But having watched 08's I realise that they also make a vital contribution to any layout - Especially in O gauge as space can be very limited.. (I bought a blood and custard Heljan Mk1 but it is real pain to shunt and move around the layout..) Small is beautiful... And an 08 is small - compact - no trouble - performs as advertised - trundles amiably around the layout - really looks the part - and causes 1364 to fear for its future popularity!...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Having never dabbled in O at all

You're not the only one!

I've got a green one on order, and when it arrives, it can join this little beauty in the 7mm department, waiting for it's shunting plank to be built. In the meantime, I've only got one of the 4mm layouts to pose it on!

post-57-0-63122400-1479659952.jpg

• Like 2