Dapol 08

Kickstart

Guest 40-something

Impressive, it must take a full 10 minutes to install a decoder and speaker. I wonder why there has been such a long delay.

I suppose it will just go to prove that modellers can be really patient LOL

Norman

Most probably because they have a lot to do, which have to installed and fully tested, plus have the rest of a business to run

Installed a Zimo decoder supplied by Paulibanger today into my 08, very impressed running light engine, however when I tried with a load of 10 HAA's I find it not so impressive, whilst just managing to pull the hoppers when I tried to propel them, all I got was wheel slip ( straight level section of track).

Am I expecting too much from the Loco ?, it appears to be very low geared and I did expect better performance.

Installed a Zimo decoder supplied by Paulibanger today into my 08, very impressed running light engine, however when I tried with a load of 10 HAA's I find it not so impressive, whilst just managing to pull the hoppers when I tried to propel them, all I got was wheel slip ( straight level section of track).

Am I expecting too much from the Loco ?, it appears to be very low geared and I did expect better performance.

What's it like without the decoder?

I am intrigued as well for all the un-numbered versions, black/green/blue, since obtaining suitable HMRS sheets - steam era I suppose for the black and BR blue for the others - will be £20 a pop. Current 7mm users will probably have sheets to hand but it does make the ready numbered ones seem better for anyone not particularly bothered by the actual number.

Izzy

BR did use smaller numbers on blue 08s for the most part. Standard loco numbers were 8" high, but 08s (and other shunters) used 6" high.

The exception being some ScR depots/workshops which used 10" numbers on mainline locos and 8" for 08s for a period.

I have been in contact with Steve at Railtec. He can now supply 08 number sets at a size specific for the Dapol model. Ordered mine yesterday.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Track nice and clean, not oily at all?  Same with the 08 wheels....sometimes RTR can be a bit over zealous with the white grease and it spreads invisibly everywhere.

Put some more weight over the drivers, there's still room in there even after the chip and speakers.

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link

Hi All from a very occasional contributor.

I have to say that I am very pleased with the 08 and think it's good value for money.   The two or three that I've had on test so far seem to pull well and be quite sure-footed even on pretty heavy trains.  

I've decided to try and do a few 'specials' and thought people might be interested in the first attempt... at representing 08 601 in its 'fake' LMS livery from the late 80s.    Just need to find somebody who can do the 'SPECTRE' nameplates now...

Would be interested to see if anybody else has done any custom or special paint jobs.

Cheers

James

post-3369-0-88257200-1481894068_thumb.jpg

post-3369-0-29343300-1481894075_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Any tips for repainting the connecting rods from red to yellow, please?

I take it the red is stripped off first!?

I think it depends upon your judgement on the original paint, is it too thick, will another coat be too thick?  The original paint will be a decent "undercoat" for further layers (I'd choose an Acrylic for safety), and maybe might need just a light rub over with W&D to give a key surface.

I think it depends upon your judgement on the original paint, is it too thick, will another coat be too thick? The original paint will be a decent "undercoat" for further layers (I'd choose an Acrylic for safety), and maybe might need just a light rub over with W&D to give a key surface.

I would recommend using white primer first before painting rods yellow and if you can mask off I would spray with Halfords white primer. I would follow up with yellow Matt enamel so that if things don't go well it can be removed with thinners or white spirit without damaging the white acrylic primer coat. Then have another go. I am assuming the painter is going to use brushes not an airbrush.

Edited by Greenmodelmonkey

I'm still waiting for my preordered unnumbered plain green late crest to ship from Hattons, but on a whim I was able to find a TOPS blue 08 at near preorder pricing - it's on the water to me now. I'm thinking the blue one will make a nice centerpiece for a little shunting plank, possibly a small cement terminal.

I was a little concerned about preordering one of these all those months ago, but it seems like Dapol has produced a winner.

I have added 500g (1 LB in old money) of lead formed into 2 x 250 g packets and fitted them between the body sides and motor assembly over the axles and performance is vastly improved, in fact so much so I managed to propel 18 HAA's which is quite some load.

Great model.

• Like 1

Guest Isambarduk

The rods on my black 08 are rather thickly daubed in red paint in my opinion.  I shall be stripping off this paint and respraying with primer, brown as an undercoat and then red. 

David

The rods on my black 08 are rather thickly daubed in red paint in my opinion.  I shall be stripping off this paint and respraying with primer, brown as an undercoat and then red. 

David

I would suggest white primer not brown/red oxide as white base helps the red colour to stand out and covers better. Your choice of course but just trying to help.

Guest Isambarduk

I would suggest white primer not brown/red oxide as white base helps the red colour to stand out and covers better. Your choice of course but just trying to help.

Hmm.  Well, I have always used brown or red oxide as an undercoat as red is such a weak colour, covering rather poorly.  As an experiment, I did once try white as an undercoat but the result was too pink (so it certainly stood out!) unless I put on far too much red, which rather defeated the object of the exercise!  Warren Heywood also uses brown or red oxide as an undercoat for red; if it's good enough for him, it's certainly good enough for me!

Here is an example:

GCR278-Humber-Front_Rear.jpg

Heavily reworked Ixion Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST (see www.davidlosmith.co.uk/GCR_Humber.htm for details in captioned pictures)

David

Does anyone know if Dapol intend doing another run of Green with wasp strips as most seem to have been sold already ???

I'm pretty sure Dapol are intent on covering most of the livery, and body variations during the production forecast. The tooling, as has been mentioned prior, has been engineered to take into account further types, such as the short hinged body types, and the steel door types. They also remarked that they were intent on various livery variations, so I would think full green body with wasp stripes would be certain to be on that list somewhere.

How long the next run will be away is another question though!

Jinty ;)

Does anyone know if Dapol intend doing another run of Green with wasp strips as most seem to have been sold already ???

There should are plenty about, try the smaller shops and try Antics as they had many of the initial blue with wasp stripes locos long after other big box shifters said they had run out (but you may have to pay a little more).

• RMweb Gold

I'm pretty sure Dapol are intent on covering most of the livery, and body variations during the production forecast. The tooling, as has been mentioned prior, has been engineered to take into account further types, such as the short hinged body types, and the steel door types. They also remarked that they were intent on various livery variations, so I would think full green body with wasp stripes would be certain to be on that list somewhere.

How long the next run will be away is another question though!

Jinty ;)

According to one of the sales chaps at Warley I spoke to, he said that the 08s will be in Dapol's catalogue for the next four to five years.  They intend doing the next version in the series next year, and that was scheduled to be released November/December 2017 - although sources have since told me that the Minerva Pannier announcement could have pushed that back, as Dapol want to get their Pannier out to market asap, so it may be Jan/Feb 2018 before the next ones are out.  At the moment, all the construction is done out in the Far East, with just the DCC sound added over here, but Dapol are looking at using their UK facilities, so that construction can be done back in the UK, with just mouldings and initial part creation out East.  That will mean that they have the ability to do smaller runs of specific types - an example given was the radio controlled or industrial versions for instance, where a full run couldn't be justified.

So in answer to your question, yes there will be more 08s next year/early 2018, and it is their intention to go through all the body styles and liveries.  Im assuming that given the thoughts on smaller runs, things like Class 10s, 11s and 12s may also be feasible, although nothing on that has been said by Dapol.

EDIT: I don't believe that there are any plans to re-run the first particular body shell again however.

Hope the helps!

Rich

Edited by MarshLane