Dapol 08

Kickstart

Happy, happy - my Chetter Zimo decoder with stay-alive and twin speakers arrived today. I also have a rolling road on the way, so hopefully I can find the time this weekend to do the install so I can have a bit of a play when the rollers get here.

• Like 1

Has anyone removed the handrails on the engine room doors or know if they are moulded or metal?  I was considering taking them off of my D3045 as the original didn't have them, rivet counting I know but just wondered if they came off easily, pictures can be found in this post.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37894-a-shunter-for-elm-park/?p=405548

Many thanks

E

E

The handrails are metal and remove very easily indeed. Just wrap a bit of masking tape around the end of a suitably sized flat bladed screwdriver and wiggle it about. I did it on D3038 pictured here. I inserted plastic rod into the resulting holes and cemented it in from the inside, having removed the roof to access the back of the holes. The plastic rodding was cut as close to the bodywork as possible using a small craft knife. Some repainting is of course necessary! It helped that my model was to be weathered so a perfect match wasn't crucial.

Hope this helps

Jeff

post-12187-0-56341700-1485073827_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Spoke to Dapol at bristol today. They are doing another run of the early 08s this summer because they have been so popular and demand is so high. The next later version will follow early next year.

Rich

Hi gents

Need to tap into the collective wisdom ref the 08....

I have 08202 which was bought as straight DC but now has the Digitrains Active Drive sound project with the Zimo twin speaker, so all hardware is present and correct.

Sound and movement quality is sublime as others agree, but I have a minor issue with a dead spot at one of my points which is just a tad longer than the wheelbase of the 08. I'd assumed that the stay alive capacitor would have happily carried the 08 across this power gap (which would take no more than a couple of seconds at a scale 10mph) but it stops dead as soon as the last axle enters the dead space. I know the polarities of the capacitor are soldered the right way round onto the two chip terminals, so am I missing anything?

I also have no red/white shunting lights at either end irrespective of direction of travel, but the top white lamp at each end works perfectly all the time. Could this be a programming problem as my Digitrax DT402 throttle?

Regards Phil

Hi gents

I have 08202 which was bought as straight DC but now has the Digitrains Active Drive sound project with the Zimo twin speaker, so all hardware is present and correct.

Sound and movement quality is sublime as others agree, but I have a minor issue with a dead spot at one of my points which is just a tad longer than the wheelbase of the 08. I'd assumed that the stay alive capacitor would have happily carried the 08 across this power gap (which would take no more than a couple of seconds at a scale 10mph) but it stops dead as soon as the last axle enters the dead space. I know the polarities of the capacitor are soldered the right way round onto the two chip terminals, so am I missing anything?

I also have no red/white shunting lights at either end irrespective of direction of travel, but the top white lamp at each end works perfectly all the time. Could this be a programming problem as my Digitrax DT402 throttle?

Regards Phil

I can't answer about the capacitor, but you have the same sound project from Digitrains that I had. I've since sent mine off to have Paul Chetter re-blow mine with his own Protodrive sound file which is more based around the Dapol 08.

You can get the 'Activedrive' version to have the shunting lights working correctly by altering a few CV's.

Here is a link to the post that Pauliebanger put on the Dapol 08 thread (post 797) of what CV's to change:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102801-Dapol-08/?p=2498422

Hope that helps

Jinty ;)

Hi gents

Regards Phil

Hi Phil

What size capacitor is installed? There's plenty of room available for a decent size - say 4700uF, which should suit.

It would be worth checking that 12v is going to the capacitor. I had a problem recently with an 08.

Norman

I found that the capacitor supplied (470uF) did nothing at all (same Zimo/Chetter setup from Digitrains), and I replaced it with four 680uF as supplied by Digitrains, which I thought would give me loads.... in fact, it gives about half a second - a lot less than I thought, but in practice does the trick very well.

Edited by Giles

I found that the capacitor supplied (470uF) did nothing at all (same Zimo/Chester setup from Digitrains), and I replaced it with four 680uF as supplied by Digitrains, which I thought would give me loads.... in fact, it gives about half a second - a lot less than I thought, but in practice does the trick very well.

Hi Giles, I think you've just resolved my capacitor query! My capacitor (the same 470uF item supplied by Digitrains) is clearly miles too puny so i'll look at the biggest item that'll fit inside the 08. I'll also call Digitrains to see what they say about the item they're supplying, as it would seem to be coming up short in performance terms. On a positive note, this issue has annoyed me enough to get around to sorting out my track problem, so every cloud, and all that!

Thanks Jintyman & Norman for your input too.

Best regards 

Phil

• Like 1

Hi there.

Just a quick one and sorry if it has been answered somewhere else but has anybody tried to remove the coupling rods????. If so how did you go about this.

Thanks

Adam.

Hi Adam,

Yes, some guy has not just taken the rods off but at the same time he removed the ghastly brass spacers and corrected the quartering. I think the post is around page 42 ish?

Martyn.

PS, it's on page 44

Edited by 3 link

Hi there.

Just a quick one and sorry if it has been answered somewhere else but has anybody tried to remove the coupling rods????. If so how did you go about this.

Thanks

Adam.

The rods are held on by hexagonal shouldered screws.  But the screws are held in with an adhesive of some kind (maybe a Chinese Loctite) on the thread.  To remove I scraped the paint off the hex using a scapel and fibreglass brush. Then applied a hot soldering iron to the hexagonal head to soften the adhesive before gently unscrewing.  Too much force will result in a broken pin so gently does it.

Good luck

Norman

Guest Isambarduk

" ... before gently unscrewing"

May I suggest that, unless you have a really well fitting (box/socket) spanner, you use a small hand vice to ensure a secure grip on the hexagonal head.  A tool like this:

mw8pydz_KbnFgnEGmxRkYzg.jpg

David

Thanks guys for your replys.

Yes Norman I did notice the adhesive after I have sheered a screw. But extremely fortunate for me is there is enough thread for it to still be used. Don't fancy trying to re-tap and turn a replacement item.

So less haste this time on my account.

Thanks again.

Adam

Hi Giles, I think you've just resolved my capacitor query! My capacitor (the same 470uF item supplied by Digitrains) is clearly miles too puny so i'll look at the biggest item that'll fit inside the 08. I'll also call Digitrains to see what they say about the item they're supplying, as it would seem to be coming up short in performance terms. On a positive note, this issue has annoyed me enough to get around to sorting out my track problem, so every cloud, and all that!

Thanks Jintyman & Norman for your input too.

Best regards 

Phil

Just a quick 'closer' ref the capacitor query....I spoke with Digitrains today and was told the capacitor included with the Active Drive sound chip is simply a 'freebie' included in the package by Zimo and is not originated by Digitrains themselves. So for anyone purchasing Active Drive for the Dapol 08, I'd suggest not to bother installing the included capacitor but just get a far bigger one to start with...or don't bother at all if you don't really need it.

Regards

Phil

Hey.

Just another quick one. Dose anybody know what thread size the crank pin screw is. It is very small. The screw is a good fit for 10 BA so I was thinking maybe an imperial thread.

Just thought I'd need if anyone knows. Or maybe a email to Dapol ?

Thanks.

Adam.

Guest Isambarduk

"The screw is a good fit for 10 BA so I was thinking maybe an imperial thread."

Actually, although the dimensions of BA threads are usually given in imperial units, they are actually metric threads (by definition):

"They are unusual in that they were probably the most "scientific" design of screw, starting with 0BA at 6.0mm diameter and 1.0mm pitch and progressing in a geometric sequence where each larger number was 0.9 times the pitch of the last size. They then spoiled this by rounding to 2 significant figures in metric and then converting to inches and rounding to the thousandth of an inch. This anticipated worldwide metrication by about a century. The design was first proposed by the British Association in 1884"

I would expect the screw in the Dapol 08 crankpin to have a metric thread.

David

I listened to an 08 today fitted with a factory (Dapol) decoder and was mightly impressed.  Sounds were very good compared with Coastal and Digitrains.

I wonder if the Zimo decoder project used by Dapol is available to buy seperately?

Norman

I listened to an 08 today fitted with a factory (Dapol) decoder and was mightly impressed.  Sounds were very good compared with Coastal and Digitrains.

I wonder if the Zimo decoder project used by Dapol is available to buy seperately?

Norman

Suggest talking to DCC Supplies as I believe they are the Dapol factory fitting agent but when I asked they said it was not available seperatly. Paul Chetter's ProtoDrive version is clear winner for many and me as Dapol version only has a fraction of the sounds available compared to his and the driving experience is so realistic. I have heard the Dapol sound it's very loopy sounding unlike Paul's (or Digitrains Active Drive version). I'm interested to know what you think makes Dapol version better?

Some of the quality may be down to the speaker installation used by Dapol but I particularly liked the 3 horn choices and the dynamic sound.  Start up sequence with short cut is pretty neat too.

I don't think DCC Supplies offer British sounds in Zimo decoders.

Norman