Dapol 08

Kickstart

Hi,

I agree with the former, and parts of the latter. Modern business if carried out as you suggest is unethical, slipshod and morally corrupt. No need for that type of risk management if the business is run well to start with. And therein lies the problem as such will lead to humanity's demise if we are not careful. I've always been taught to make a fair profit, reinvest, treat employees well and with respect, delight customers, be firm and fair, yet negotiate hard, and tell bean counters and lawyers exactly where their true place in the food chain is - either that or get some pesticide/have them surgically removed. Sadly in this mad world 'shareholder capitalism' reigns supreme and there is a downward spiral - a race to the bottom. But then I look at life through the right sunglasses!

It will be interesting to see what the next batch of 08s are like.

Yes agreed and just hope they don't pick an obscure colour scheme like they did with original green batches.

Do agree on this one but I doubt if many will return items as they will either accept or fix it themselves. So it maybe the returns are going to be low in comparison with the high sales volume which is priority I guess and just part of normal business. I notice quality issues seem to be an issue aross many products and yet the customer is still prepared to dig deep to get what they want warts anMejznerd all. Why spend money on getting product 100% right when the majority are quiet happy if it's sometimes less than perfect. Shame to say this and i want product to be 100% perfect but I'm going to be realistic and just pleased we are now getting some stunning models which we have never had before, and yes there may some imperfections I will just accept, if not it goes back.

Ever heard of the 5th to 95th percentile factor? Used in lots of scenarios to determine what constitutes acceptable. :yes:

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Premium

Some very interesting discussions regarding Dapol!

I finally got one through that isn't damaged. Well. It has a couple of minor chips on the buffers and some faded green paintwork. Oh and a missing roof hatch! Alas, it'll do and I'll fix it up myself when I weather it.

When I read back through this thread, I remember some posters adding a couple of extra details to their model, but never these. I was google searching for extra details people have done and came across them:

1.jpg

Roof eyelets (Not sure official terminology) ^

2.jpg

Fancy dials with back lighting.

3.jpg

Front windscreen wipers

Has anyone come across these parts anywhere? I'd really like to buy some to spruce up my model!

Thanks

Hi,

I think that the roof lifting hooks would have come from JLTRT, sadly no longer with us for such things.

Wipers are included with later models, but Giles of this parish did a nice set along with guard irons.

No clue as to back lights and dials....LEDs and paper dials? Brian Daniels used to do a paper set of gauges IIRC.

BTW getting the glued on cab off is a bit of a bu@@er, and voids warranty.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Hello,

With reference to your first photo, are you potentially confusing a missing roof hatch with what is actually the exhaust port?

https://flic.kr/p/9VBNm9  (Not my photo)

Regards

James

Some very interesting discussions regarding Dapol!

I finally got one through that isn't damaged. Well. It has a couple of minor chips on the buffers and some faded green paintwork. Oh and a missing roof hatch! Alas, it'll do and I'll fix it up myself when I weather it.

When I read back through this thread, I remember some posters adding a couple of extra details to their model, but never these. I was google searching for extra details people have done and came across them:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Fancy dials with back lighting.

3.jpg

Front windscreen wipers

Has anyone come across these parts anywhere? I'd really like to buy some to spruce up my model!

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

Thanks chaps, it was specifically those little hole/hooks on the roof I was referring to. I'm guessing they're attachment points for the loco to be lifted by crane.

Thanks chaps, it was specifically those little hole/hooks on the roof I was referring to. I'm guessing they're attachment points for the loco to be lifted by crane.

Not for the loco - I think they might struggle with that! - but just for lifting off the roof panel

The loco could be lifted but not by the lift eyes, I suspect they're for the bonnet/roof panel. When I was a boy my neighbour worked the overhead crane in A Shop, they lifted locos with that.

Yes they are just for lifting off the roof (bonnet) panel

The slotted holes in the headstocks (buffer beam) are for lifting the loco

Edited by 101

Lots of American locos have those 'eyelets' on roof panels & they are called lifting rings. Of course as US & UK terminology is almost always different, the UK name might be something else entirely!! Cast brass versions are available in 1:48 scale.

Personally I find lit up dials a rather over-rated feature. The HJ Class 31 had a rudimentary set up for that which I disabled, & I have an Atlas SW1200 Switcher with them. They are difficult to see even through such an 'open' cab as that, & not realistic. In fact I had to scratch my head the other day to recall which F button switched them on!!

Lots of American locos have those 'eyelets' on roof panels & they are called lifting rings. Of course as US & UK terminology is almost always different, the UK name might be something else entirely!! Cast brass versions are available in 1:48 scale.

Personally I find lit up dials a rather over-rated feature. The HJ Class 31 had a rudimentary set up for that which I disabled, & I have an Atlas SW1200 Switcher with them. They are difficult to see even through such an 'open' cab as that, & not realistic. In fact I had to scratch my head the other day to recall which F button switched them on!!

Hi J,

I'm inclined to agree.

Do you have a link for the 1:48 lift rings (can they be obtained in UK?), I have some plastic ones, but I think that they won't last 5 mins.

ATVB

CME

• RMweb Premium

I was google searching for extra details people have done and came across them:

1.jpg

2.jpg

There should only be 4 lifting rings (check those prototype photos) - there are 2 identical roof panels over the power unit, each with 2 diagonally opposite rings (so looking from the front of the loco) front right/rear left - so it looks like there are 2 in the middle, but they are actually the rear left ring of the front panel and front right ring of the rear panel!

4130046217_ed38e58146_b.jpgClass 08: 08445 South Gosforth Metro Station by emdjt42, on Flickr

Other missing details are guard irons and windscreen wipers, both of which were kindly made available by a member on here, check further up the thread.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

okay, i am sure i am repeating others questions, but at 69 pages to trawl through, i am going to re ask, where can i get Paul Chetter sound from, and can i get it on a Loksound chip, as i have the ESU system, so trying to keep things relatively standard.

TIA

Thank you for enquiring about my Class 08 sound project.

You can get this from Digitrains, but they are strictly for ZIMO decoders, MX644D in this case.

Dapol designed the lighting circuit specifically for the MX644D, which has full power (open collector) on all function outputs. The ESU 21 pin equivalent does not have full power on AUX 3 and higher. Since the Dapol model's PCB needs open collector on AUX3, it does not operate the lights correctly with the ESU decoder. (Lights are permanently on at one end). You will need to modify your model in order to get it working correctly. It's not terrible difficult if you know what you are doing, but an unnecessary task and will invalidate your warranty.

On the other hand, fitting the MX644D will be a simple plug-in job and the lights will work as Dapol intended.

Best regards,

Paul