Dapol 08

Kickstart

Get the sound chip from Digitrains. You need a Zimo MX644D (https://www.digitrains.co.uk/shop-by-brand/zimo/mx644d.html) with the Dapol 08 sound file variant of your choice (Active Drive or Proto Drive).

The sound file is on Zimo only (AKAIK) but absolutely fine like this as DCC is a mix'n'match system, ESU will play with Zimo just fine. I have a mix of ESU Loksound and Zimo chips, run by an NCE PowerCaB controller.

Also - the Zimo decoder is a straight plug-in swap for the Dapol blanking plate. Just speaker wires to attach.

IMHO the main criterion here is the quality of the sound file and I'm very happy with my Chetter Dapol 08 sounds.

No connection - just a happy customer.

• Like 1

b

Get the sound chip from Digitrains. You need a Zimo MX644D (https://www.digitrains.co.uk/shop-by-brand/zimo/mx644d.html) with the Dapol 08 sound file variant of your choice (Active Drive or Proto Drive).

The sound file is on Zimo only (AKAIK) but absolutely fine like this as DCC is a mix'n'match system, ESU will play with Zimo just fine. I have a mix of ESU Loksound and Zimo chips, run by an NCE PowerCaB controller.

Also - the Zimo decoder is a straight plug-in swap for the Dapol blanking plate. Just speaker wires to attach.

IMHO the main criterion here is the quality of the sound file and I'm very happy with my Chetter Dapol 08 sounds.

No connection - just a happy customer.

bought the zimo chips. thanks

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

I have two 08s with the digitrains sound, Is it possible to alter the sound of one so they are not exactly the same ?

I have thought about using different speakers or just setting one slightly louder to make them different.

Roger

Hi all

I have two 08s with the digitrains sound, Is it possible to alter the sound of one so they are not exactly the same ?

I have thought about using different speakers or just setting one slightly louder to make them different.

Roger

Roger,

There are some basic things which could apply to any sound project, you have identified a couple already.

There is not just a single 'digitrains sound', and this presents difficulty with any meaningful or comprehensive response.

It's not possible to give more specific advice without knowing which of the several versions of Class 08 sound you have from Digitrains, or indeed if they are the same versions as each other.

Knowing that, like myself, other users would have a number of Class 08 models, I created 2 different 'base' projects based upon recordings from different locomotives (Variant 1 and Variant 2) each of which have subsequently been updated to have at least two versions, ActiveDrive and ProtoDrive. This gives at least 4 types from which to choose. Each offers an authentic Class 08 but they differ enough to make each individual both in sound and reaction to control inputs.

This means that like the real locos, you have to know the characteristics of the one currently under your control, and which ones, for instance, you should deploy if shunting air-braked stock (since the provision of additional air compressor sounds would be required for air operated train brakes). A different sound would be required for vacuum train brakes.

In some of these versions it is possible to independently vary the volume of the traction motor sound, in others not.

In all of them it is possible to some degree or other to change the thresholds at which the sounds progress upwards or downwards. The volume level of most individual sounds can also changed, each requiring a single CV change.

In this series of projects, there are also a number of alternative sounds already loaded onto the decoder which you can choose from, again accessed by CV - see the User Notes provided with your purchase. Examples are. Horns instead of whistles and different versions of each, wooden or metal doors, and more.

If you can tell us the version(s) you have, details in the User Notes title (and more latterly by reading CVs105 and 106) I will be able to be more specific as to the current capabilities.

Whilst distance may be a difficult for you for others who would like to introduce some variety not possible with their current version, a reblow to one of the alternatives is available from Digitrains.

If you have one of the several types of ZIMO sound loading device, (or a Z1) then you can receive an encrypted file to load the sound project yourself, thus removing distance, postage costs downtime and safety from the equation.

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

Paul,

Your post above is quite insightful - not just in answering the immediate question, but in showing how involved (and complicated) producing a sound project is.  I dare say there are some who probably think all that is required is to hold a microphone to an engine for a couple of minutes and then just load that into a sound decoder. 

I also want to commend you on how often (and quickly) you respond to questions posted here about DCC and sound.  Demystifying the technology and providing useful assistance is the sign of a true expert.  :)

• RMweb Premium

thanks for the reply Paul

I have activedrive V17.01 and activedrive variant 2 V17.01, ordered in august and october this year.

I have just been playing with the 2 side by side and couldn't hear any differences in the engine sound.

I did try consisting them on my NCE Procab but found a problem, when F2 is pressed the brakes are only applied on the lead loco !  thats not going to work very well....

Roger

Roger,

Both should have the manual brake feature built-in. Check this by reading/setting CV309 (default value 2) and CV349 (default value 10).

You can add the brake key feature to any ZIMO sound project with the above CVs provided the decoder has a late enough decoder software version. Any in the last 3 years will be fine.

It may, however, be on the decoder already, but the consist is not operating the feature on the second loco. This may depend on the type of consisting you are using and what settings you have in play. (you'll need to ask a consisting expert for advice on this, sorry).

The ActiveDrive became the Variant 1 in Jan 2017, whilst the ActiveDrive Variant 2 was a newly created version with different internal control logic, designed to be different from Variant 1. If you actually have (rather than requested) different variants, you will definitely notice a difference, though of course there is a strong 'family likeness'.

Both of these were replaced with their own 'SL' versions in July 2017 (having 'SpeedLock' included as a feature).

The simple way to tell variant 1 from variant 2 (in any sub-version) apart from each other is that in the former, the traction motor sounds will fade in and out in concert with the engine speed increasing. In this case, you as the operator cannot change the relationship between engine and traction motor sounds.

In the latter, the volume and pitch of the traction motors varies proportionally with the road speed of the model. In this instance, it is possible to vary the traction motor sound in relation to the engine sounds. (and would be a simple way to change the balance of sounds in identical projects if need be).

To test your decoders, put the loco into high speed steps and engage F6. This will temporarily force the engine sounds to Idle, but does not impact on the wheel revolutions . If you can still hear the traction motor sounds, this is a Variant 2 project, if not, it's Variant 1 in some form.

Come back with your test results and I'll suggest some changes that you can make to the project via CVs.

Whilst you are on this task, please read CV7 and CV65, which together will tell us the decoder software version.

Best regards,

Paul

Hi Paul

I think both sounds are the same, variant 2.

CV7 is 037 and CV65 is 007 on both decoders.

Roger

OK, that would explain the lack of difference.

To avoid any misunderstandings, I am not part of or employed by Digitrains so I have no control over what you ordered or received, I just create the sound projects.

The decoder software V37.7 (from CV7 and CV65 values) is capable of setting the Brake Key feature, so I suggest you investigate the type of consisting you deploy to attain synchronous brake effect. The NCE has several options, all covered in its manual.

Regarding sound differentiation.

Unfortunately, without reblowing one decoder with an alternative sound project, it is not possible to change the engine sounds. On the other hand, there are quite a few changes which can be made to distinguish one from the other, both in terms of actual sound files and their control.

The User Notes which accompanied your decoders contains the info you need to change the mix of ancillary sounds and their respective volume levels. If you don't have these to hand, visit Digitrains website and look up further info on the Class 08 sounds page where you will find them published in full and can see the alternative sounds some of which I mentioned earlier. (Horn, whistle, door types etc)

You can decide if you wish to represent locos with no train brake, fitted for vacuum train brake, fitted for air train brake or fitted for both vacuum or air. The sounds of an addition compressor (the loco 'straight brake' is an air brake on all Class 08, so one compressor is always fitted to these locos, the additional compressor is for the train brake for use with suitably fitted stock) or Exhauster to create low pressure to operate vacuum train brakes. These can be selected with the use of the F keys 16 and 11 respectively, and you can vary the volume level of each sound.

If you run one loco with F5 permanently engaged, the threshold for the engine acceleration sound will be increased so the engine ramping up will be delayed. You can optimise the difference by changing the value in CV391, lower values will reduce the difference.

You could increase or decrease the volume of the traction motors on one or other or both locos to enhance the differences.The default value in CV296 is 150, lower this to reduce volume, increase (max 255) to raise volume. You also can remove the sound altogether if you wish.

I expect you will be able to create sufficient individual character with some or all of the suggestions I've made, and of course, you can continue to make changes into the future.

If you get into a muddle, reset the decoder CV8 = 8 to return everything back to how you received it. You will not damage the sound files by doing this, but remember that the decoder address will also return to '3'.

Best regards,

Paul

OK, that would explain the lack of difference.

To avoid any misunderstandings, I am not part of or employed by Digitrains so I have no control over what you ordered or received, I just create the sound projects.

The decoder software V37.7 (from CV7 and CV65 values) is capable of setting the Brake Key feature, so I suggest you investigate the type of consisting you deploy to attain synchronous brake effect. The NCE has several options, all covered in its manual.

Regarding sound differentiation.

Unfortunately, without reblowing one decoder with an alternative sound project, it is not possible to change the engine sounds. On the other hand, there are quite a few changes which can be made to distinguish one from the other, both in terms of actual sound files and their control.

The User Notes which accompanied your decoders contains the info you need to change the mix of ancillary sounds and their respective volume levels. If you don't have these to hand, visit Digitrains website and look up further info on the Class 08 sounds page where you will find them published in full and can see the alternative sounds some of which I mentioned earlier. (Horn, whistle, door types etc)

You can decide if you wish to represent locos with no train brake, fitted for vacuum train brake, fitted for air train brake or fitted for both vacuum or air. The sounds of an addition compressor (the loco 'straight brake' is an air brake on all Class 08, so one compressor is always fitted to these locos, the additional compressor is for the train brake for use with suitably fitted stock) or Exhauster to create low pressure to operate vacuum train brakes. These can be selected with the use of the F keys 16 and 11 respectively, and you can vary the volume level of each sound.

If you run one loco with F5 permanently engaged, the threshold for the engine acceleration sound will be increased so the engine ramping up will be delayed. You can optimise the difference by changing the value in CV391, lower values will reduce the difference.

You could increase or decrease the volume of the traction motors on one or other or both locos to enhance the differences.The default value in CV296 is 150, lower this to reduce volume, increase (max 255) to raise volume. You also can remove the sound altogether if you wish.

I expect you will be able to create sufficient individual character with some or all of the suggestions I've made, and of course, you can continue to make changes into the future.

If you get into a muddle, reset the decoder CV8 = 8 to return everything back to how you received it. You will not damage the sound files by doing this, but remember that the decoder address will also return to '3'.

Best regards,

Paul

Paul,

Good 'how to guide' for a novice like me. 

However, one 08 sounds much like another, with as you mention the auxiliaries running can give variations.

Then when running the mechanical sound might vary.  I was not aware that the traction motor sound could be varied, very clever.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Did Dapol have any delivery info or samples of the forthcoming 08 that will be released in Freightliner, EWS etc at Glasgow?

Contacted them a number of weeks ago as the digest seems to have gone quiet, but yet to receive a response.

Any info gratefully received. 

Kind Regards,

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 25/02/2019 at 19:18, chris37422 said:

Hi All,

Did Dapol have any delivery info or samples of the forthcoming 08 that will be released in Freightliner, EWS etc at Glasgow?

Contacted them a number of weeks ago as the digest seems to have gone quiet, but yet to receive a response.

Kind Regards,

Chris

Dapol do not attend Glasgow.  Charlie

Hi All,

Kind Regards,

Chris

Chris,

A bit late but Dapol had samples of the Freightliner, Intercity and one other (can't remember which) 08s at Kettering last weekend.

They do look rather good but no info on release dates yet!

Edited by admiles

22 hours ago, admiles said:

Chris,

A bit late but Dapol had samples of the Freightliner, Intercity and one other (can't remember which) 08s at Kettering last weekend.

The other was triple grey 

On 08/03/2019 at 14:15, admiles said:

Chris,

Thanks pal, appreciate the info.

Some pictures here

https://www.modernimageogauge.co.uk/latest-news

Rob

Hi All,

Kind Regards,

Chris

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all

just wanted to check something to make sure I’m not losing the plot!

I’ve just picked up a BR blue unnumbered 08 (Dapol Code 7D-008-011U) for a bargain £150 at a show, as it had a missing buffer. (The buffer was actually in the box much to the sellers annoyance but that’s life and he should have checked!) The loco is the unnumbered version of 08173 with the BR arrow of indecision on the side boxes not the bonnet doors.

But once I started the research to decide what to number it (and having been through this entire thread over a few days) it seems that Dapol have made an error with this one....as far as I can figure out, no 08 ever had long hinges, vertical bonnet handles, and a full set of exhauster cabinets on both sides running plates at the same time while as a vacuum fitted loco. Certainly, photos of 08173 show it without the vertical handles, so Dapol ‘dropped the ball’ with their choice of loco IMHO.

So in order to move forward I’m wondering if it’s easier to pop off all the vertical bonnet handles with a tiny screwdriver as some folk have done on here to pull it into the 08001 - 08176 range (with full cabinets retained on both sides) or try to prise off the extra set of cabinets on the RHS running plate (while retaining the vertical bonnet handles) to pull it into the 08177 onwards number range?

Has anyone tried to remove the extra RHS cabinets, and if so how much of a disaster was left behind?

Thanks in advance folks!

Phil

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Surely can’t be that hard as it’s just a separate moulding?

If you try easing a scalpel along the front first, then any damage when levering it off would be at the rear so you could always put it back.

I should be clear and say I’ve not tried though.

Edited by Hal Nail

17 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Surely can’t be that hard as it’s just a separate moulding?

If you try easing a scalpel along the front first, then any damage when levering it off would be at the rear so you could always put it back.

I should be clear and say I’ve not tried though.

Just started having a poke about with the magnifier to see what's what, and noticed that Dapol have been very thorough with their cock-up in loco selection! If I remove the RHS cabinets it'll then expose bare undetailed plastic, as they've gone to the trouble of moulding the correct; shorter bonnet doors for this particular loco, to match the additional RHS cabinets. So they've made the decision for me...vertical bonnet handles now removed.

Cheers

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Airport2010 said:

Just started having a poke about with the magnifier to see what's what, and noticed that Dapol have been very thorough with their cock-up in loco selection! If I remove the RHS cabinets it'll then expose bare undetailed plastic, as they've gone to the trouble of moulding the correct; shorter bonnet doors for this particular loco, to match the additional RHS cabinets. So they've made the decision for me...vertical bonnet handles now removed.

Cheers

Given Dapol do a version already without the rhs front cabinet, that prompted me to compare various photos and you are right - they have produced two different main bonnet mouldings, with different length doors for with or without the cabinet.