Dapol 08

Kickstart

Has anyone purchased the Highland Rail BR Blue Class 08?

From all the pictures which I have seen of the model there is no difference between the standard BR Blue and Highland Rail branding unless all the shops are using incorrect stock pictures of the model?

Surely it should have the Highland Rail white stag like the prototype but the model doesn’t seem to have this.

Can anyone provide a picture to confirm if it is fitted. Otherwise it’s description should be changed

On 25/10/2019 at 11:50, birdseyecircus said:

It's a bit puzzling why the unnumbered RF grey one still has the cockney sparrow logo on it. 

Paul

Yes indeed. I'm more than a bit annoyed about this rather moronic error.

Anyone got any good ideas how to safely remove said bird from the model?

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Jamie24 said:

Does anybody know if the unnumbered versions comes with a transfer sheet like the Heljan unnumbered locos do? If they don’t, where is the best place to source them?

My Blue one didn't,  I got the number sheet from Nairnshire modelling supplies, quick service and good price.

Edited by 37114
Typo

On 25/10/2019 at 11:50, birdseyecircus said:

It's a bit puzzling why the unnumbered RF grey one still has the cockney sparrow logo on it. 

Paul

The un numbered  blue one has an IS depot sticker as well....

10 hours ago, Jamie24 said:

Does anybody know if the unnumbered versions comes with a transfer sheet like the Heljan unnumbered locos do? If they don’t, where is the best place to source them?

Which Heljan unnumbered locos come with a transfer sheet?

My LL 37/4 hasn't any. I have just checked the box to make sure I hadn't missed it.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Jamie24 said:

Best source of transfers may depend what livery you mean.

Railtec do various sets by class (I think you choose your desired loco number)

Personally I just use individual number sheets on mine (several Heljan, none had transfers) to limit the carrier film but you have to line them up that way.

Have a feeling I've read space is limited on the 08 and not all number styles fit - so worth checking. It's probably covered on this thread back when they first came out (ie somewhere nearer the end of the 72 pages!!!)

Edited by Hal Nail

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Which Heljan unnumbered locos come with a transfer sheet?

My LL 37/4 hasn't any. I have just checked the box to make sure I hadn't missed it.

I saw this class 60 for sale from Hattons, on ebay, showing a transfer sheet. No mention of an aftermarket sheet. Assumed they all did? 

A33A5694-7124-4F89-B730-D4554BD52BC9.jpeg

Edited by Jamie24
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, seeseerider said:

All Class 60s came with that transfer sheet, yes. I struggle to think of any other Heljans actually.

My EE types 4 and 5 certainly didn't.

And yes, the 08 is a bit awkward to fit numbers, not so bad if you're using just 4 digits though. Otherwise Railtec have sets which 'fit'. No connection - not even a customer, satisfied or otherwise. :)

8 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

My EE types 4 and 5 certainly didn't.

And yes, the 08 is a bit awkward to fit numbers, not so bad if you're using just 4 digits though. Otherwise Railtec have sets which 'fit'. No connection - not even a customer, satisfied or otherwise. :)

Railtec showed them as unavailable when I looked, hence why I went for the Nairnshire ones. I managed to get the 5 numbers in ok but it is tight fit.

• Like 1

As I recall, on the 08s it's to do with the cab being too short.  The result is that the normal sized numbers don't fit properly.  Railtec do a slightly smaller typeface which then enables the number to fit.  At least, that was how I dealt with my 08.

Whether the cab size has been rectified on the new batch, I don't know.

Rod

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 20:29, Dmudriver said:

As I recall, on the 08s it's to do with the cab being too short.  The result is that the normal sized numbers don't fit properly.  Railtec do a slightly smaller typeface which then enables the number to fit.  At least, that was how I dealt with my 08.

Whether the cab size has been rectified on the new batch, I don't know.

Rod

The Dapol cab is correct scale length IIRC, so why would it be rectified??

On the real 08s, the smaller number transfers were used (6" vice the usual 8" on mainline locos) to fit the numbers on the cabside.

13172352945_bce87bb6b6_h.jpg08 792 by Alan Monk, on Flickr

13357197885_6f7d26cd65_b.jpg08 709 Stratford by Alan Monk, on Flickr

A number of 08s did get 8" numbers which were very squished up

13172621044_c4e9372ece_h.jpg08 750 Stratford by Alan Monk, on Flickr

13172606414_dfa2863d75_h.jpg08 855a Aberdeen by Alan Monk, on Flickr

13172428743_4a956c1d92_h.jpg08 900 Bristol Bath Road by Alan Monk, on Flickr

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

19 minutes ago, CloggyDog said:

The Dapol cab is correct scale length IIRC, so why would it be rectified??

On the real 08s, the smaller number transfers were used (6" vice the usual 8" on mainline locos) to fit the numbers on the cabside.

13172352945_bce87bb6b6_h.jpg08 792 by Alan Monk, on Flickr

13357197885_6f7d26cd65_b.jpg08 709 Stratford by Alan Monk, on Flickr

A number of 08s did get 8" numbers which were very squished up

13172621044_c4e9372ece_h.jpg08 750 Stratford by Alan Monk, on Flickr

13172606414_dfa2863d75_h.jpg08 855a Aberdeen by Alan Monk, on Flickr

13172428743_4a956c1d92_h.jpg08 900 Bristol Bath Road by Alan Monk, on Flickr

I believe it was dependent on where they were overhauled with smaller and standard numbers being used at various times - as you state the photos above show both styles 6" (792 & 709) & 8" numbers (750, 855 & 900). 

Edited by deltic17

3 hours ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Hi,

Have you a link or website for NMS, please? I didn't think that they were still in business as my searches kept leasing to dead ends of late.

Many thanks,

Atvb

CME

I ordered it through their eBay shop.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Do these newer release 08s have a different lighting configuration? From the pics it looks like the top light is gone.

"New lighting configuration" is quoted in the description on Tower's site.