Dapol 08

Kickstart

On 10/11/2019 at 01:49, meatloaf said:

Ah ok ive got a Hornby TTS chip in one of mine and only the top lights works in direction of travel due to lack of functions. Wondered if the newer ones would allow the shunting lights to work instead

I was going to ask if anyone had fitted TTS sound to an 08 I am thinking of doing the same myself.

Cheers Peter.

On 14/11/2019 at 10:13, meatloaf said:

Yep runs really smooth and sounds good with a beefier speaker, only lights that work are the top ones. But with the newer ones the shunting lights might work

Thanks for that. I will look into getting a TTS decoder once my 08 arrives and I have made sure it runs ok.

Cheers Peter.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, cazadoom said:

Have just purchased 08717 from the New Batch of 08s, installed the DCC decoder (Dapol’s Imperium) and it just shorts out when put on the track, 

Any one got any idea of why it’s doing this? 

Decoder upside down?

21 hours ago, cazadoom said:

Hi All

Have just purchased 08717 from the New Batch of 08s, installed the DCC decoder (Dapol’s Imperium) and it just shorts out when put on the track, 

Any one got any idea of why it’s doing this? 

cheers 

Mine blew 2 imperiums - after emailing joel at Dapol it turned out the imperium isn't compatible with the 08. I posted about it earlier in the thread.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Mine blew 2 imperiums - after emailing joel at Dapol it turned out the imperium isn't compatible with the 08. I posted about it earlier in the thread.

Cheers for that, 

Have decided just to order Paul Chetters Sound for it 

Callum

1 hour ago, chris37422 said:

Shame the cab roof is black and not maroon as per 08709. Not sure about the exhaust port either?

My paint brush will have to come out on my one.

Yes I was also a little taken aback by the yellow exhaust as well.

Personally I think they should do a Heljan and not number these locos as standard, 99% of people will customise them in some form.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Very nice livery application, interesting livery variation too, in reality it would have faded quite quickly. A light filter applied with an airbrush would help in that regard.

Most are numbered, which can almost be a requirement with some EWS livery applications, and yet in other liveries only a few are unnumbered, I agree though instead of 80/20 numbered, 80/20 should be unnumbered. I'm guessing though that the OO collectors strategy has been applied, somewhat inappropriately, to this O gauge model/market.

I've no dog in the fight, I have two of the earlier versions and a MMP kit to build, but I do hope that Dapol have their quality control up to speed now. Although these models look to be great value for money (especially when discounted), if purchased mail order and faulty? A real chore.

The season's greetings to all.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, chris37422 said:

Shame the cab roof is black and not maroon as per 08709. Not sure about the exhaust port either?

My paint brush will have to come out on my one.

Had a little rethink on this and having had a look at the model, cancelled it with my supplier and swapped it with the Stratford Railfreight one.

For me personally, other than BR Blue, I think EWS is one of the best liveries the Class have ever carried. Dapol's version just doesn't look right to my eyes and I haven't been able to move past it (LOL at myself) not doing it justice. For me the Maroon looks ok, but the gold not quite right. Tied in with the exhaust port being the colour it is, the black cab roof and the white cabside data stickers (should be gold) I've put myself off it. 

Sure these are things that a modeller can change relatively easy, but I don't really want to take a paint brush to a £200 loco to fix what I see as basic errors spend money on more transfers to correct (and I'm rubbish at modelling!)

And to show that I'm not just being a grinch at Christmas, I own 5 of the things (soon to be 6) as it is a cracking model. 3 from the latest batch of which Intercity has to be the pick of the bunch (Freightliner wrong shade of green but I'm living with that  )

As ever each to their own and I'm sure less fussy Gronk lovers/more able modellers than myself will be delighted with the EWS gronk :)

Happy Christmas to all.

08.jpg

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've not got one yet but i was going to treat myself for xmas, but reading about the probs' a few are having make me want to be sure i get mine in person, over a counter and fully tested out first, and not have the hassle through the post if it's fubar. All the best. O.B.:drinks:

• Friendly/supportive 1

46 minutes ago, Owd Bob said:

I've not got one yet but i was going to treat myself for xmas, but reading about the probs' a few are having make me want to be sure i get mine in person, over a counter and fully tested out first, and not have the hassle through the post if it's fubar. All the best. O.B.:drinks:

Wise move OB and that supports your local model shop too.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, admiles said:

What happened to the rest of the orange cantrail stripe? Is that prototypical?

I thought the same initially but having looked at the photos on Hattons it does appear to be there, hidden by the long handrail and shadows. 

HTH

• Informative/Useful 1

On 07/09/2016 at 00:06, bazjones1711 said:

I think if you asked a three year old to paint a blue class 08 it would be blue ! not with a black roof , errors like these and the class 73 are  bizarre, if i can buy a tin of blue paint from various sources, it cannot be that difficult for a major firm like Dapol to do it , how does a Heljan Loadhaul 60 end up with livery errors , its prob because they don't seem to take time and effort or poss care, get it to the shops and it will sell attitude. In this day and age of the internet there are thousands of pictures of class 08's for them to look at and check against or maybe Dapol just pluck liveries out of thin air and think the public will accept them.

Ah the curse of the black roof on the EWS class 08 ,  just a quick look on the net at 08709 , no black roof , my quote above from years ago  still stands  enough said ....

• Like 1