Dapol 08

Kickstart

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, bazjones1711 said:

my quote above from years ago  still stands  enough said ....

They should pick a prototype and go with that. At least 08 709 had a black roof at some point.

08709 Carlisle 90s Scan

I actually think this is the first photo I've found of a pair of Blue 08s together with black and non-black cab roofs.

Class 08

Anyway - that chat was from a few years ago. 

The EWS livery looks okay to me, although the red feels a little off. Maybe because I'm used to seeing it faded in photos. Hopefully someone can reproduce that and the peeled EWS lettering with some superb weathering.

Edited by maq1988
Added EWS livery opinion.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

694 had the black roof although it seems to have weathered to rust in most photos, the colour of the exhaust isn’t clear in any photo I’ve found. A quick respray of the roof will sort it for the majority and then as much weathering as you like. 

On 13/12/2019 at 18:20, bazjones1711 said:

Ah the curse of the black roof on the EWS class 08 ,  just a quick look on the net at 08709 , no black roof , my quote above from years ago  still stands  enough said ....

While your comment does stand (and I fully agree with you!) they'll still sell even with the livery errors. Maybe that's the problem?

On 13/12/2019 at 18:02, chris37422 said:

I thought the same initially but having looked at the photos on Hattons it does appear to be there, hidden by the long handrail and shadows. 

HTH

I was going by the photos posted above by "Welsh Signaller" and the cantrail stripe just peters out above the grills in front of the cab and above the long bodyside hand rail.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

a query.

I have just received my new version 08, this one being in EWS livery

i have fitted my ZIMO MX644D with Paul Chetter sound chip (and tried the one fitted in my older 08 with the same result) marker lights....

when I turn on the lights using the F10 function button, both cab end markers come on white, and nothing in the other end. When I turn on the cab light F19 function, the cab lights remain off, and the cab end markers both turn red, again nothing on the front. Direction selection for loco makes no difference. No other function button appears to affect anything.

advice please before I post it half way around the world back to Hattons 

Edited by 47606odin

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/01/2020 at 03:37, 47606odin said:

Hi All

a query.

I have just received my new version 08, this one being in EWS livery

i have fitted my ZIMO MX644D with Paul Chetter sound chip (and tried the one fitted in my older 08 with the same result) marker lights....

when I turn on the lights using the F10 function button, both cab end markers come on white, and nothing in the other end. When I turn on the cab light F19 function, the cab lights remain off, and the cab end markers both turn red, again nothing on the front. Direction selection for loco makes no difference. No other function button appears to affect anything.

advice please before I post it half way around the world back to Hattons 

Hello,

Only just spotted this post (DCC sound forum is where you'll usually catch me). Hope you've not sent it away yet.

Dapol have revised the lighting in the new version Class 08s. Lighting is a bit more prototypical as a result which is good, but they've re-arranged the Function Output assignments too, which is a bit awkward.

It's not terminal, however, and can be fixed quite easily. I'm not at home today, so I don't have access to all my files, but I'll sent you a list of CVs to get everything back in order.

Digitrains knows of this issue and if you tell them the decoder is for the new Dapol 08, they'll send the correct version. (a bit late for you, I know, but others may be reading this post).

Best regards,

Paul

10 hours ago, pauliebanger said:

Hello,

Only just spotted this post (DCC sound forum is where you'll usually catch me). Hope you've not sent it away yet.

Dapol have revised the lighting in the new version Class 08s. Lighting is a bit more prototypical as a result which is good, but they've re-arranged the Function Output assignments too, which is a bit awkward.

It's not terminal, however, and can be fixed quite easily. I'm not at home today, so I don't have access to all my files, but I'll sent you a list of CVs to get everything back in order.

Digitrains knows of this issue and if you tell them the decoder is for the new Dapol 08, they'll send the correct version. (a bit late for you, I know, but others may be reading this post).

Best regards,

Paul

thanks Paul

Digitrains advised me of the CV alterations, however I think my chip touched where the pickups are soldered on top of the chassis block and let the smoke out briefly 

15 hours ago, pauliebanger said:

Oh dear, sorry to hear that.

You can return the damaged decoder for repair. There's a modest fixed fee in such cases but it saves writing off all the initial purchase costs.

Best regards,

Paul

I didn’t realise that was possible. Just binned them in the past. I shall contact Digitrains and see if anything can be done

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Apologies if this has arisen before but despite the lock-down, 73 previous pages is an unfair number of pages to search through in the hope that I might just find a similar image to that below.

I was investigating for a mate how the cab of the 08 can be "opened up" to add/secure a driver - mine still needed a driver and his needed to have the driver put back on seat.

I was going to give up after trying to add the driver through the door but I accidentally managed to dislodge a couple of the windows so the cab had to come off. The fact that by the end I'd managed to dislodge all the windows, usually as I was attempting to refit the cab is not that relevant. I did however, manage to add a driver so not everything was lost.

Anyhow having finally got everything back together I found this on the bench.

130420_1.jpg.55841275b3508750d2167e81696dbc7c.jpg

It is plastic but other than that I don't think that I can add anything further.

Does anyone have any idea whereabouts it needs to be re-fitted and is there any chance of a picture to guide me?

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Does anyone have any idea whereabouts it needs to be re-fitted and is there any chance of a picture to guide me?

I've got one in bits but can't see that anywhere. Are you certain it's off the 08?

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Apologies if this has arisen before but despite the lock-down, 73 previous pages is an unfair number of pages to search through in the hope that I might just find a similar image to that below.

I was investigating for a mate how the cab of the 08 can be "opened up" to add/secure a driver - mine still needed a driver and his needed to have the driver put back on seat.

I was going to give up after trying to add the driver through the door but I accidentally managed to dislodge a couple of the windows so the cab had to come off. The fact that by the end I'd managed to dislodge all the windows, usually as I was attempting to refit the cab is not that relevant. I did however, manage to add a driver so not everything was lost.

Anyhow having finally got everything back together I found this on the bench.

130420_1.jpg.55841275b3508750d2167e81696dbc7c.jpg

It is plastic but other than that I don't think that I can add anything further.

Thanks.

Goes across between the bottom of the front steps, I think.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, CloggyDog said:

Goes across between the bottom of the front steps, I think.

Mine is missing that but there are two pips about the right distance apart and some residue glue now I've rechecked!

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, mikeford2002uk said:

My version of the Dapol 08. Part repainted in faded BR blue with yellow buffer beams

Very nice.

I have a green one from the original run to repaint blue. The body will be fine but worried about the buffer beams and con rods. What yellow did you use and did you use a neutral base colour first?

Cheers

Edited by Hal Nail

I just used Railmatch "warning yellow" without a neutral base colour - especially as I wanted a faded and weathered example. Having said that the yellow did cover very well but perhaps you'll be starting with a red bufferbeam (?) in which case perhaps a quick spray of white would be advisable. You probably realise the buffers unplug which aids respraying too

Mike

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having recently decided to return to railway modelling after a gap of quite a few years, I  bought the last available sample of the O gauge model of D3120 on a whim. Mainly because it was reduced to £150 and I have been thinking of building a small shunting layout to entertain my grandson.

Having seen the sheer amount of postings on here, and read some of them, concerning Dapol's model, I was wondering why that particular model had been reduced so much. Is it because of some mechanical defect or that it does not represent that particular locomotive in some way.?

Thanks in advance for any help.

4 minutes ago, Tankerman said:

Having recently decided to return to railway modelling after a gap of quite a few years, I  bought the last available sample of the O gauge model of D3120 on a whim. Mainly because it was reduced to £150 and I have been thinking of building a small shunting layout to entertain my grandson.

Having seen the sheer amount of postings on here, and read some of them, concerning Dapol's model, I was wondering why that particular model had been reduced so much. Is it because of some mechanical defect or that it does not represent that particular locomotive in some way.?

Probably a retailer selling off stock. After a certain amount of time after release they can reduce the price down to bargain level to clear old lines. 

I'm sure they would have to mention that it has a mechanical or visual defect so I wouldn't worry about that. 

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Probably a retailer selling off stock. After a certain amount of time after release they can reduce the price down to bargain level to clear old lines. 

I'm sure they would have to mention that it has a mechanical or visual defect so I wouldn't worry about that. 

Thanks for the very quick reply, I bought it directly from Dapol's own site so it should be fine. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tankerman said:

Is it because of some mechanical defect or that it does not represent that particular locomotive in some way.?

Early logo green with late wasp stripes may not have been as popular as some other liveries, leaving them with a few to shift perhaps. 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Early logo green with late wasp stripes may not have been as popular as some other liveries, leaving them with a few to shift perhaps. 

Thanks Hal,

That could well have been the problem. Knowing the sheer depth of knowledge on this forum and how helpful the members are I now have what may be more difficult questions.

In the period between 1955 and 1968 I was, to a greater or lesser degree, loco spotting in Cornwall, mainly at Truro with the occasional visit to Plymouth. The first 08 I saw was D3510 shunting the yard at Truro in September 1958, at that time she had a plain green cab end. My first question is, what is the most likely date that the wasp stripes would have been added.  

The second question, this from a modeller who's last kit building experience was with 'K's kits in the 1970's. Given that the 08 I have purchased from Dapol is one of the Crossley engined type, what are the significant differences, if any, between it and D3510 an EE 08. If the differences are comparatively minor, how difficult will it be to replace the totem with the later version and renumber the loco to D3510?

Edited by Tankerman
omitted words

Guest Half-full
13 hours ago, Tankerman said:

Thanks Hal,

That could well have been the problem. Knowing the sheer depth of knowledge on this forum and how helpful the members are I now have what may be more difficult questions.

In the period between 1955 and 1968 I was, to a greater or lesser degree, loco spotting in Cornwall, mainly at Truro with the occasional visit to Plymouth. The first 08 I saw was D3510 shunting the yard at Truro in September 1958, at that time she had a plain green cab end. My first question is, what is the most likely date that the wasp stripes would have been added.  

The second question, this from a modeller who's last kit building experience was with 'K's kits in the 1970's. Given that the 08 I have purchased from Dapol is one of the Crossley engined type, what are the significant differences, if any, between it and D3510 an EE 08. If the differences are comparatively minor, how difficult will it be to replace the totem with the later version and renumber the loco to D3510?

I cant help with the detail differences, but to renumber it just a case of removing the logo and numbers (plenty of methods described on the forum, mine is to use T-Cut), and replace with new ones. 

Railtec do loco specific number (and logo?) packs