Dapol 08

Kickstart

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Half-full said:

I cant help with the detail differences, but to renumber it just a case of removing the logo and numbers (plenty of methods described on the forum, mine is to use T-Cut), and replace with new ones. 

Railtec do loco specific number (and logo?) packs

Thanks Half-full, I'll have a search later today.

• RMweb Premium

Re detail differences, I dont know the answer to your specific question but Dapol only tooled 2 early versions I think, one with a box (exhaust?)  either side of the bonnet at the front, which you have, and one with a box only on one side.

For yours, the little vertical grab rails on each bonnet side door need removing really.

Guest Half-full
28 minutes ago, Tankerman said:

Thank you again. :) I see that there is a note on their site to the effect that the cab is shorter than it should be. Is it visually of much significance?

It's not significantly short, but would be noticeable if you tried to fit standard sized numbers on it.  With the slightly compressed decals from Railtec, it keeps things in proportion.  

Certainly not something that affects the look of the model!

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Re detail differences, I dont know the answer to your specific question but Dapol only tooled 2 early versions I think, one with a box (exhaust?)  either side of the bonnet at the front, which you have, and one with a box only on one side.

For yours, the little vertical grab rails on each bonnet side door need removing really.

I've just had a look at the loco and it only has one exhaust vent on the top of the bonnet, which is on the right hand side when looking at the front of the loco. From the reading I've done so far I'm beginning to think that the 08's are BR's answer to the GWR 57XX's, not a surprise I suppose, as they both consist of a large number of locos which were built/modified over a long period of time.

I'm sure I've read that D3120 was produced for one of the model shops as a special by Dapol, but I can't find it again.

One last question, is there a website which details at least some of the 08 variations?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tankerman said:

I've just had a look at the loco and it only has one exhaust vent on the top of the bonnet

Sorry that's not what I meant. On the footplate itself some Dapol models have the oblong cabinet on both sides at the front and some only have the one on the left, if looking forward. Generally speaking those with a cabinet on both sides (in real life) didnt have the little handrails on the bonnet doors but I've seen at least one exception.

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Sorry that's not what I meant. On the footplate itself some Dapol models have the oblong cabinet on both sides at the front and some only have the one on the left, if looking forward. Generally speaking those with a cabinet on both sides (in real life) didnt have the little handrails on the bonnet doors but I've seen at least one exception.

Hi Hal,

Apologies, being a retired elect/mech engineer I read it wrongly. Anyway it was good mistake to make as it meant I have read up quite a bit, not only on the 08's, but also on the 10's. 11's and 12's.

I've also discovered the history of Crossley engines in rail service which is as bad as that of Mirrlees,  and for the same reason. Both were excellent in marine service as the revs and power output are virtually constant, however in rail service both constantly vary and a very different design of engine is required.

Another question on the small handrails. it is all of the small ones on each side?  The two on the radiators as well as the door at the very front?

Thank you once again for your patience in answering all my questions.

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Tankerman said:

Another question on the small handrails. it is all of the small ones on each side?  The two on the radiators as well as the door at the very front?

I would just find a photo of the loco you want to do - I'm no expert on all the variations! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...

So I’ve spent the last 2 weeks in between calls reading the last 75 pages of this article...

apart from the mentioned missing items of lifting bolts, guard irons and wipers (which now come in the pack with the green D3002 model) has no one detailed the internals of the cab other than with a driver? It seems very sparse? It may be correct for an early loco?

although I’ve noted from reading this thread that the Bonnet handles shouldn’t be present on D3002, my ladders have not disintegrated and I’m very pleased with it with the sound decoder installed. Managed to adjust some of the Locsound settings to get the lights to work how I want them on the spare functions. Just wish the traction motors sounded a little more. (I have the DCKITS setup)!

the only thing I’m suprised about is that all the windows are shown closed? When did you ever see an 08 with the windows closed? :unknw_mini:

Edited by andysollis1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, andysollis1 said:

The only thing I’m suprised about is that all the windows are shown closed? When did you ever see an 08 with the windows closed? :unknw_mini:

Heljan tend to do one window open and it means everyone's loco looks the same.  At least with Dapols approach you can choose which one to modify, if you want, and have some variety.

Excuse me if I've missed this already. Does anyone have a wiring diagram? I have 2 loose wires in the body of my 4-light Early crest version. One looks like it should be soldered to the front lighting pcb and the other likewise to the rear lighting pcb.

Thanks in advance

17 hours ago, Liddy said:

Excuse me if I've missed this already. Does anyone have a wiring diagram? I have 2 loose wires in the body of my 4-light Early crest version. One looks like it should be soldered to the front lighting pcb and the other likewise to the rear lighting pcb.

Thanks in advance

Hi Liddy,

Sorry to say I haven't, but Paul Chetter has had a few a part, he might know?

Hope that helps a bit?

ATVB,

CME

Here's my Dapol 08 - excellently weathered by David Magill.

The pictures are his and are used with his kind permission.

Figures are ModelU and painted by Claudia Everett.

JWB203.jpg.88fbcc86d397872eb4bcbee5709ee041.jpg

^ Front left

JWB205.jpg.a0c1fae2b2f9884019b854d5d102a2c2.jpg

^ Front Right

JWB206.jpg.9900266f028656239eafe7ce1533f089.jpg

^ Rear Left

JWB204.jpg.0434e64ab493f59e5a1598cabb28d9ad.jpg

^ Rear Right

JWB207.jpg.31438e6e1a13e7d429e62c143347f304.jpg

^ Cabside Left

Art

Edited by Art Dent
Re-inserting images
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Returning to the latest batch,  earlier content in the thread records incompatibility with the Dapol imperium. Does anyone know of the best option decoder for controlling the (reduced) number of marker lights?

i have fitted Hornby TTS  08 sound with a megabass speaker to four of the earlier batch with great results (No lower shunting lights tho).  Was wondering if anyone has tried the TTS in the new batch?

On 08/08/2020 at 16:41, Art Dent said:

Here's my Dapol 08 - excellently weathered by David Magill.

The pictures are his and are used with his kind permission.

Figures are ModelU and painted by Claudia Everett.

Art

Dapol 08 FL.jpg

Dapol_08_RL.jpg

Dapol_08_RR.jpg

Dapol_08_FR.jpg

Art,

No fair using prototype photos and trying to convince us they are of models!!!!!

Seriously, what a fantastic job.  Everything just "fits" into the whole so well.  The weathering, the setting, the scenery, the driver.  I can almost hear the clanking and smell the diesel exhaust.  I will use these pics as inspiration for future projects - an objective to strive for!  :)

Dave

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thanks Dave.

The only thing I can claim credit for is getting David (aka Jinty) to do the weathering for me.

Inside is a Zimo MX644D and ZS08AD Sound Project (from Digitrains) with a big bass reflex speaker fitted vertically behind the radiator.  There's also a large-capacity stay-alive in there too as there's plenty of room inside the body.

If I can find the pix of the installation, I'll update this thread with them.

Art

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Johnfromoz said:

Has anyone out there chipped an 08 from the latest (modern batch)?

Curious to know the lighting operation functions.

TIA

If you get the Digitrains ZIMO chip they ask which version of 08 you have and programme it accordingly. F0 gives you directional 2 white & red F10 gives you shunting lights red & white both ends.Cab light on F19 I think. 

IMG_6096.jpg

IMG_6095.jpg

IMG_6094.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, Nick G said:

If you get the Digitrains ZIMO chip they ask which version of 08 you have and programme it accordingly. F0 gives you directional 2 white & red F10 gives you shunting lights red & white both ends.Cab light on F19 I think. 

IMG_6096.jpg

IMG_6095.jpg

IMG_6094.jpg

In theory then, a TTS 08 decoder should at least operate the marker lights directionally on F0,  assuming F0 is the same in any decoders language.  

On 21/08/2020 at 15:33, Johnfromoz said:

Has anyone out there chipped an 08 from the latest (modern batch)?

Curious to know the lighting operation functions.

TIA

Yes, I’ve done the D3002 in Green with sound. Only the centre lower lights don’t function, but I’m lead to believe that there is no LED fitted.