Dapol 08

Kickstart

On 21/08/2020 at 16:43, Nick G said:

If you get the Digitrains ZIMO chip they ask which version of 08 you have and programme it accordingly. F0 gives you directional 2 white & red F10 gives you shunting lights red & white both ends.Cab light on F19 I think. 

IMG_6096.jpg

IMG_6095.jpg

IMG_6094.jpg

How have you got the two colours in one lamp? Is it specific to this loco or have they been replaced/required with bi-colour? 

look really impressive and that’s my only bug bear with my green one that I can’t change the side which the red and white appear as per the prototype.

andy

Thanks Andy,

I think 3002 is from the first two (early version).. I was referring to the latest batch with just the lower Lights fitted.

Anyway, I will try a TTS 08 chip when it arrives, as my prior experience with the first batch was been great sound and loco control. (Idid fit megaBass speakers to them) but limited lighting.

9 minutes ago, Johnfromoz said:

Thanks Andy,

I think 3002 is from the first two (early version).. I was referring to the latest batch with just the lower Lights fitted.

Anyway, I will try a TTS 08 chip when it arrives, as my prior experience with the first batch was been great sound and loco control. (Idid fit megaBass speakers to them) but limited lighting.

Ah, my error, misunderstood. I thought you meant by later models from Dapol, never thought you meant the later models of the real thing.  Oops! 

17 hours ago, Nick G said:

They are bi-colour LED's in the later version of the 08

How do they work? Is it just different functions? Surely you need around 9 functions (inc cab light?) as you would need white on all 4 lamps and red on all four lamps? 

I’m interested to find out more.

I pre-ordered my 08 from Hattons when they were first released and it's been sat boxed up until I started my garden railway last week.

I've run it literally 15 mins and the cranks have slipped. Has anyone else had this issue? A forum Search revealed nothing but another group lead me to believe it was a common problem 

IMG_20200824_170549.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, dan_the_v8man said:

I pre-ordered my 08 from Hattons when they were first released and it's been sat boxed up until I started my garden railway last week.

I've run it literally 15 mins and the cranks have slipped. Has anyone else had this issue? A forum Search revealed nothing but another group lead me to believe it was a common problem 

IMG_20200824_170549.jpg

Ouch that’s annoying......mine has been in the box since I received upon release as well......I’ve changed back to 4mm now........better sell it before I run it :(

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, dan_the_v8man said:

IMG_20200824_170549.jpg

You appear to be missing 2 grills on the side? Is that correct? (I saw a post on another forum of someone else who had received their loco like that too)

I would see if it can be sent back under a warranty? 

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, dan_the_v8man said:

IMG_20200824_170549.jpg

Sorry to see that. Sadly typical Dapol build quality (and no paid for factory QC), sorry my friend. Should be relatively simple to remedy though. And as a previous poster mentioned you've grills missing. They should be available from DCCS. How long have you had the loco, is it still under warranty? If it is send it back, get Dapol to pay for the P&P too.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

4mm is VERY tempting - the way certain aspects of 7mm are going. I'll stick with 7mm for now though.

Are you suggesting, he says whilst donning a tin hat, that you think Dapols QC approach could be improved? :)

Hope you have finally shunted covid into the Swindon dump?

Edited by Hal Nail
spelling, init
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

4mm is VERY tempting - the way certain aspects of 7mm are going. I'll stick with 7mm for now though.

TBH I went 7mm because of the running quality and detail, but with modern 4mm stuff they have that (mostly) so much more so than a few decades ago when I last ran them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 27/08/2020 at 17:01, Hal Nail said:

Are you suggesting, he says whilst donning a tin hat, that you think Dapols QC approach could be improved? :)

Hope you have finally shunted covid into the Swindon dump?

You may think that (re Dapol's QC) but I couldn't possibly comment:rolleyes::D.

COVID Long Tail? Sorry to say we both still have it - since March - major relapse for past three weeks.

At least we know that the CCP can manufacture something that works!:rolleyes:

• Round of applause 1

On 27/08/2020 at 17:36, boxbrownie said:

TBH I went 7mm because of the running quality and detail, but with modern 4mm stuff they have that (mostly) so much more so than a few decades ago when I last ran them.

Likewise, also 7mm track standards and aesthetics swayed me, but that's sorted in OO now too. VERY tempting. But I'm committed to 7mm (perhaps need committing because of that commitment LOL!).

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Likewise, also 7mm track standards and aesthetics swayed me, but that's sorted in OO now too. VERY tempting. But I'm committed to 7mm (perhaps need committing because of that commitment LOL!).

I say I have gone 4mm.....which I have but I still cannot bring myself to selling all my brand new boxed 7mm Locos and stock just yet........well you never know? :senile:

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Why not have both - all good fun!

Well when we moved five years ago and the garden railways were torn up I decided I needed to build a “house” railway that would actually get finished so making it 4mm and not so big has given me the incentive to actually get on and build something I might actually finish! :lol:

And so far it is working, track all laid, points all motorised and working and have now started on the scenery, it’s almost looking like a model railway now....well, OK soon.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 01/09/2020 at 10:34, boxbrownie said:

Well when we moved five years ago and the garden railways were torn up I decided I needed to build a “house” railway that would actually get finished so making it 4mm and not so big has given me the incentive to actually get on and build something I might actually finish! :lol:

And so far it is working, track all laid, points all motorised and working and have now started on the scenery, it’s almost looking like a model railway now....well, OK soon.

Amen to that, a complete, working, achievable model railway? Bliss! Enjoy my friend.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/08/2020 at 17:33, dan_the_v8man said:

IMG_20200824_170549.jpg

So Dapol have buried their heads in the sand. I got a quick reply from them but all they did was direct me to DCC Supplies who in turn directed me to their spares page.

Went back to Dapol, explained the situation and expected some good will from them considering I have two locos with identical faults both with less than 15 mins use collectively. Nothing. Silence. 

So rather begrudgingly I bit the bullet and ordered a wheelset at £35. They only had black in stock so my BR blue 08 as pictured above is still in the same situation. 

The wheelset turns up and I could literally spin one of cranks in my fingers!!

I contacted DCC Supplies who swiftly sent me another wheel set and guess what, it does the exact same thing!!

So at this point I'm rather cheesed off. I emailed DCC supplies, obviously this isn't there fault but rather a QC issue with Dapol and CC'd them into the email and yet still no reply from Dapol.

I forwarded the email chain onto Joel the MD at Dapol thinking maybe this is just an issue with Kevin at Dapol, and guess what. No reply! 

So from my experience it would appear that Dapol really aren't interested once they have your cash. Which is a shame as they've made O gauge a lot more accessible, but if they can't get the basics right what's the point? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I’ve had exactly the same result trying to contact Dapol about the ongoing fault on my Streamlined Railcar, They have completely ignored my emails now, I will now vote with my wallet as I have spent a considerable amount on 7mm and 4mm over the past years (a lot actually) but from now on, forget it.....

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 11/09/2020 at 13:30, boxbrownie said:

I’ve had exactly the same result trying to contact Dapol about the ongoing fault on my Streamlined Railcar, They have completely ignored my emails now, I will now vote with my wallet as I have spent a considerable amount on 7mm and 4mm over the past years (a lot actually) but from now on, forget it.....

Is it worth seeing if anything can be posted in a magazine to see if they respond then? 

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, andysollis1 said:

Is it worth seeing if anything can be posted in a magazine to see if they respond then? 

TBH I am not so sure the magazines will be interested, most seem to be advertising organs of the manufacturers, when was the last time you read a review that actually criticised a product?

• Like 1