Dapol 08

Kickstart

If he wants to develop modelling skills, the four to five foot is big enough. Depends if you can help him, I guess.  Jim Reid, and others build very nice models out of nothing much at all, and Jim has been very helpful to others who wish to do likewise in the past. As the search on members does not seem to working too well at the mo., just search on 'cardboard' and see what turns up.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

One for the OP to ponder. A wagon in O is around 40 quid, and a brake van more.

So the loco might be reasonably priced comparatively but other things will generally be more expensive.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

I suppose if one looks hard enough, an exception to every generalisation can be proven :) whether it's worth the effort though when people are simply trying to help others......

Indeed, and I was trying to help the OP by suggesting from my experience to buy through a retailer rather than direct from Dapol.........but hey ho......

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

One for the OP to ponder. A wagon in O is around 40 quid, and a brake van more.

So the loco might be reasonably priced comparatively but other things will generally be more expensive.

Well in comparison the wagons are about the same proportion more than their OO counterparts, plus with less space you need less wagons, and probably only one brake? It’s also possible to get started with three or four bits of rtr then add to the roster and learn more modelling skills by building a Slaters or Parkside open or van for under £30. 

17 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

to buy through a retailer rather than direct from Dapol.

A good bit of info considering your experience. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry if someone has already asked/answered this but is there any great difference between early and more recent batches regarding build quality (ie. windscreen wipers and removal of brass bush on conn rods) and running quality (ie. is same motor and gearbox etc). If there is how can I be sure to get one from an updated batch? Are they serial numbered?

many thanks in anticipation

Les

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Les Johnson said:

If there is how can I be sure to get one from an updated batch?

The 2nd batch had different loco numbers and i think a few livery variations (eg the green version now had a green roof instead of the original black one, etc) 

I've got one of the originals which runs absolutely fine.

19 minutes ago, Les Johnson said:

Sorry if someone has already asked/answered this but is there any great difference between early and more recent batches regarding build quality (ie. windscreen wipers and removal of brass bush on conn rods) and running quality (ie. is same motor and gearbox etc). If there is how can I be sure to get one from an updated batch? Are they serial numbered?

many thanks in anticipation

Les

Different batches have different product codes. The brass bush was only present on the first batch (codes 7D-008-001 to 006. The second releases were the original body style but amended chassis (007 to 012) and the most recent batch is the later body style (013 to 017)

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for your replies. Got my black one today, but hidden at my sons TIL I can smuggle it on board! Saw further back on rail-online my preferred no. 13008, which doesn’t have wipers, so saved a few bob there, but where can I get numbering sheet to match? Railtec? Does anyone think buffer housings are easy to remove? Anyone tried it?

Les

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I decided to treat myself to an 08, my first foray into O gauge. Does anyone have any advice on getting into the model? I have tried following the instructions of squeezing the bodysides gently to lift the roof section off, but it feels like it's welded on, there's no sign of any give in the clips holding it in place! 

I have looked at removing the bodyshell completely by unscrewing the two small screws on the underside, these came out easily, but the coupling hooks pass through the body moulding, and are attached to small brass stubs that don't seem to want to budge!

Any advice you can offer to getting inside the model will be much appreciated.

Thanks Stu.

1 hour ago, dmustu said:

Hi All,

I decided to treat myself to an 08, my first foray into O gauge. Does anyone have any advice on getting into the model? I have tried following the instructions of squeezing the bodysides gently to lift the roof section off, but it feels like it's welded on, there's no sign of any give in the clips holding it in place! 

I have looked at removing the bodyshell completely by unscrewing the two small screws on the underside, these came out easily, but the coupling hooks pass through the body moulding, and are attached to small brass stubs that don't seem to want to budge!

Any advice you can offer to getting inside the model will be much appreciated.

Thanks Stu.

You are right on the first part, squeeze the body near the handrail (but avoid squeezing the hand rails) and the middle section should come away. Mine was tight the first 2-3 times. 
if you can start to see any gap appear try the credit card trick in the slot to try and stop it closing up

again. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Friends,

I have an Dapol Classs 08 in 0 Gauge  . The sounddecoder is a ZIMO MX44D bought by digitrains. The loco does not go very well. So I ask you. How did you program the CV 2- CV6. Thanks for your answer.

Best regards

Werner from Austria

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, wgura said:

Hi Friends,

I have an Dapol Classs 08 in 0 Gauge  . The sounddecoder is a ZIMO MX44D bought by digitrains. The loco does not go very well. So I ask you. How did you program the CV 2- CV6. Thanks for your answer.

Best regards

Werner from Austria

Hi,

I have recently fitted mine with a Zimo MX644D supplied by YouChoos.

I have CV3 set as 20 and CV4 set as 8, just to give me better stopping control on my short layout. Other than turning the volume down I haven’t found any need to change anything else.

Graham

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 29/10/2019 at 12:07, AeBor said:

Has anyone purchased the Highland Rail BR Blue Class 08?

From all the pictures which I have seen of the model there is no difference between the standard BR Blue and Highland Rail branding unless all the shops are using incorrect stock pictures of the model?

Surely it should have the Highland Rail white stag like the prototype but the model doesn’t seem to have this.

Can anyone provide a picture to confirm if it is fitted. Otherwise it’s description should be changed

Sorry if someone has already answered this (I am a bit late to the party) but here are some images @AeBor... there's no Highland stag - just an Inverness depot sticker.

20220619_165415.jpg

20220619_165524.jpg

• Like 5

Just a Heads Up that if anyone is looking for a 2nd-run Dapol 08 - two marker lights either end, short bonnet door latches, etc, in un-numbered BR Blue, then C&L Trackwork have four of them lurking in their store.

https://www.clfinescale.co.uk/online-store/CLASS-08-BLUE-WITH-WASP-STRIPS-LATE-CREST-UN-NUMBERED-NO-LADDER-p218743238

Ignore the photo which is wrong and the 'late crest' description which is equally baffling for a BR Blue version - the Catalogue Number is correct and the price is pretty good.

A week ago they had 5. 😉 this is why they now have four....

20220616_125103.thumb.jpg.a7df590733efbaea286bebe69ab3b263.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting an old thread ...

Way back I posted pictures of my weathered Dapol 08.  When the site was moved, the links got broken (as you'll see with a lot of the older posts).

I have now uploaded them again - and they can be seen here

I also promised to share pictures of the Zimo MX644D, speaker and stay-alive installation in this post - but never did (life getting in the way I suppose) 

Now included here!

IMG_8936.JPG.79e3bb61a7cf491587949fe8d5295b17.JPG

^ Decoder wrapped in Kapton tape, same with stay-alive beside it.  Purple wires go to the speaker mounted vertically behind the radiator and held in place with Black Tac

IMG_8939.JPG.e0bcfb545b90f95a0e49acd045ad6491.JPG

^ Showing the speaker position (v. difficult to see).  Next two pictures may help ...

IMG_8940.JPG.2f278a15876faec29e5def38ba498dab.JPG

and the same picture with the speaker position highlighted ...

IMG_8941(2).jpg.3b5979fde3f562e20a88d229658b268c.jpg

IMG_8942.JPG.505028113031293f25b3582cfa7380c7.JPG

IMG_8943.JPG.6609af1de7db855995da614655b68fd6.JPG

Hope these help!

Art

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

47 minutes ago, andysollis1 said:

What size speaker did you use? I’ve got a really small one that’s smaller than a Lego brick in mine and it still really loud.

Can't exactly remember - but if my memory serves correctly it was a 'Rail Excliusive' SP40x20x10 Boom Box 4 Ohm.

I know it was from Digitrains in Lincoln.

Link to speaker >> here

Again, if my memory is correct, the stay-alive was 870009 STAY ALIVE UNIT 6-20 SECONDS 27x10x9mm  >> this one

(although I think the number was 860009 and it wasn't branded as a Lais DCC "Kung Fu" unit but one of Digitrains' own).

Art

Edited by Art Dent

2 hours ago, Art Dent said:

Resurrecting an old thread ...

Way back I posted pictures of my weathered Dapol 08.  When the site was moved, the links got broken (as you'll see with a lot of the older posts).

I have now uploaded them again - and they can be seen here

I also promised to share pictures of the Zimo MX644D, speaker and stay-alive installation in this post - but never did (life getting in the way I suppose) 

Now included here!

IMG_8936.JPG.79e3bb61a7cf491587949fe8d5295b17.JPG

^ Decoder wrapped in Kapton tape, same with stay-alive beside it.  Purple wires go to the speaker mounted vertically behind the radiator and held in place with Black Tac

IMG_8939.JPG.e0bcfb545b90f95a0e49acd045ad6491.JPG

^ Showing the speaker position (v. difficult to see).  Next two pictures may help ...

IMG_8940.JPG.2f278a15876faec29e5def38ba498dab.JPG

and the same picture with the speaker position highlighted ...

IMG_8941(2).jpg.3b5979fde3f562e20a88d229658b268c.jpg

IMG_8942.JPG.505028113031293f25b3582cfa7380c7.JPG

IMG_8943.JPG.6609af1de7db855995da614655b68fd6.JPG

Hope these help!

Art

Nice work!

I see MERG seem to do more streamlined capacitors for SA facilities?

19 hours ago, Nick G said:

I like the Dapol 08's I now have 8 all weathered or repainted, sound fitted with stay alives.

16-7-22.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

The RFD version, did you modify the doors/bonnet etc or is this the second Dapol release? Did you remove the cab? That can be tricky🤔🤔 Nice work BTW👍👍✌️😊

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1