Dapol 08

Kickstart

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Very neat - thanks. I take it that's usually the type/size used in OO models?

I’ve used it in everything, even with a 7mm sound `Heljan it’ll last around four seconds or so, more than enough but TBH on most Heljan diesels and their weight I am not so sure they even need it 😁

• Friendly/supportive 1

I'm modelling 08113 as seen at Gloucester circa April 1976 - lightly weathered, that's always a challenge for me😳🙄😄

Mine came with numerous parts having fallen off, so I've mostly remedied such. The detached buffers and shanks were an issue though and I was set to replace them with the exquisite MMP versions (with plate bolt heads and tread plates etc, finer buffer heads etc) but a diecast beam meant such was a whole world of hurt. I elected to reattach the Dapol buffers and their shanks instead, add tread plates and plate bolt heads etc. I then repainted both beams black ala 08113.

922816661_IMG_20220816_181447_2462.jpg.3ef0a23a68d9eb1f4e0e89a04c3cab94.jpg

Apologies re photo quality and trying to photograph the beams, bolts, etc when painted black? Nigh on impossible but I'm sure readers will get the gist. Light weathering will bring out the detail.

1912680579_IMG_20220821_133309_8064.jpg.60c01c5fff238e62b14f2765dbd1f6a9.jpg

I'm hoping to make this loco RC, to be able to run it anywhere.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

The RFD version, did you modify the doors/bonnet etc or is this the second Dapol release? Did you remove the cab? That can be tricky🤔🤔 Nice work BTW👍👍✌️😊

08893 was done using the blue 08717 from the later batch as it seemed the closest body configuration to the prototype. Didn't need to remove the cab on this occasion, as you say they can be tricky. Have had to do it on a couple of others to replace some loose glazing.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, Nick G said:

08893 was done using the blue 08717 from the later batch as it seemed the closest body configuration to the prototype. Didn't need to remove the cab on this occasion, as you say they can be tricky. Have had to do it on a couple of others to replace some loose glazing.

Very nice work indeed.

I particularly like the faded BR blue.

I'm experimenting with colour to let down the blue on my Dapol 08 too. Without a complete repaint I've a few options open to me.

One of several swatches....

919567244_IMG_20220901_221556_8452.jpg.b42df9a9a0395e5f4d0e6d8717aa707a.jpg

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Very nice indeed.

Can you talk us through the weathering process, or did you do a complete respray?

Thank you. Repainted with a quality flat brush, never get my airbrush out for these 08's. A mix of Phoenix Precision faded blue and Humbrol matt white. Mix to your prefered shade of faded blue. Usually needs a couple of thin coats.

08-7.jpg

08-8.jpg

08-10.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

You can then mix different shades depending on how your chosed prototype has faded. From studying photos it's usually the roof panels and bodyside doors that fade the most. The cab roof is painted with frame dirt although some 08's have a faded blue roof, again it depends on which 08 you are replicating.

08-11.jpg

• Like 4

Chassis is painted with frame dirt and roof dirt also some weathering between the panels and the tops of the compressor boxes etc. Transfers are from Railtec and then everything is sealed with an aerosol of Humbrol matt varnish after masking all the windows of course. 08900 had smaller than normal BR double arrows applied.

08-12.jpg

08-13.jpg

Edited by Nick G
  • Like 12

• 5 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Dapol 08 as 08897 modelled in 2008 condition. Unbranded EWS livery, white numbers, red buffer beams, yellow lamp irons and NRN pod on the cab roof.

08897.jpg

And if anyone claims on first viewing this they knew it was a model, I think they'd be lying.

Took several glances to realise that bloke is not real and neither is the loco.

Superb

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

And if anyone claims on first viewing this they knew it was a model, I think they'd be lying.

Took several glances to realise that bloke is not real and neither is the loco.

Superb

Thank you, that was my first attempt at painting a figure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 21/02/2023 at 01:32, 47606odin said:

apart from the garish yellow, the black stripes were way too thin

Interestingly I was checking out light positions on 08113 and in this photo the black stripes are thin. Probably more than one style over the years?

https://flic.kr/p/2mrQV6D

Just out of interest, wonder what everyone else makes of the bufferbeam? From various other photos where it looks a bit like grimy undercoat, I think it's black but worn and dirty (maybe clay stained), quite possibly over previous yellow.

Edited by Hal Nail

2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Interestingly I was checking out light positions on 08113 and in this photo the black stripes are thin. Probably more than one style over the years?

https://flic.kr/p/2mrQV6D

Just out of interest, wonder what everyone else makes of the bufferbeam? From various other photos where it looks a bit like grimy undercoat, I think it's black but worn and dirty (maybe clay stained), quite possibly over previous yellow.

it appears to be partly dependent on where they were painted in the first place. The southern ones were definitely thicker than the Dapol application

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, I've just acquired a Dapol 08 and and am getting to know it, whilst I replace window glass that has fallen into the cab, try to avoid breaking off any more fine detail, and so on.  Two questions if I may: the centre axle has some vertical movement (good) but appears to be unsprung; is this normal?  And does anyone know a way to get the shunting lights working on DC?  I am happy to rewire the loco, and to lose the top white lights if I have to.  Thanks!

• Friendly/supportive 1