Dapol 08

Kickstart

I wonder how the pre-order price will be affected when they finally land! I really can't see these going on sale at the price they've been quoted at for so long now. Under £250 and I'll be impressed, but I'll have to reserve judgement until the production BR Blue samples surface. After being less than impressed with the decidedly green rendition of BR Blue on a lot of their N Gauge models and the purple 00 class 73, I'll decide between green and blue when they turn up. Speculation about livery aside though, it looks like they've got the basic model pretty much nailed on in terms of appearance, which is a good start. Please don't ruin it with an iffy paint job!!!

In terms of that initial black livery - the 08s cannot have carried it for very long can they? I'll happily be corrected but, judging by photos the all-over green livery must have started to kick in by 1958ish? That means the timeframe for the black must be quite limited?

I must admit it does look so tempting though...

In terms of that initial black livery - the 08s cannot have carried it for very long can they? I'll happily be corrected but, judging by photos the all-over green livery must have started to kick in by 1958ish? That means the timeframe for the black must be quite limited?

One at Willesden was black until withdrawal in the mid-70s - it even got TOPS numbers... 

...tempted too, and at least they can't get black wrong... 

can they...  ...  ..?! 

:senile:

I've got there first...D3052 was withdrawn in Dec 1973 in black, whilst it was 08105 that survived in black and got a TOPS number, not being withdrawn until spring 1975.

Oh, I gave up when food was an alternative option to research :)

...tempted too, and at least they can't get black wrong... 

can they...  ...  ..?! 

:senile:

You could take a look at Bachmann’s deep, lustrous black and the dull, very dark grey of some Hornby models. A sort of black equivalent of Hornby GWR green, although Hornby seems to have paid more attention to blacks lately. Then there’s Heljan’s black, which looks unpainted.

Worry. Stay awake at night. Chew your sheets.

Nevertheless, Andy’s photographs are reassuring. I think I shall go for it myself for my single yard of 0 gauge track. Tut, tut!

I think I shall go for it myself for my single yard of 0 gauge track. Tut, tut!

Me too, but my single yard of O guage track already has a Deltic and EE Type 4 on it :)

More track needed methinks.

• Like 1

Hi, won't stop me buying one, but shouldn't there be some balance weights on the wheels of 13240 like the ones shown here?

They are there on the model if you look closely. By the looks of it it's simply a case of the cranks being fitted incorrectly in relation to the balance weights which given the models development status is not a huge issue.

Edited by rich_eason

Seen it in painted black now, handled it and it looks very nice with the poseable/opening cab doors, working lamps, not sure if the radiator louvres are moveable or not, but behind is a nice etched representation of the radiator. All looking very promising and like a much more expensive model!

What is even more impressive is that its slow speed running - on DCC - virtually straight out of the box, is just superb!

Lets hope all will be well with the production models and that they will meet expectations too!

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• 3 weeks later...

08:

May I ask what is the expectation of Dapol-fitted sound?

What quality / usability are we likely to get for our estimated £165?

For a little more money is there a solution with a lot more benefit?

Thank you kindly!

Edited by Osgood

One at Willesden was black until withdrawal in the mid-70s - it even got TOPS numbers... 

There's a colour photo of it on Willesden TMD somewhere, can't remember if it's online or in a book...!

Having looked at the finished model I'd love one, I quite fancy doing one of Old Oak's in pre-Tops blue.

• RMweb Gold

There's a colour photo of it on Willesden TMD somewhere, can't remember if it's online or in a book...!

Having looked at the finished model I'd love one, I quite fancy doing one of Old Oak's in pre-Tops blue.

Think it was D3052 - was allocated 08039, but not sure if it carried that number in black.

08:

May I ask what is the expectation of Dapol-fitted sound?

What quality / usability are we likely to get for our estimated £165?

For a little more money is there a solution with a lot more benefit?

Thank you kindly!

I don't think you'll find that £165 buys you a Sound one, the Sound fitted ones are £399.95 from Tower