Dapol 08

Kickstart

Well you two must be the lucky ones, as I've never seen one yet and I've seen a few. When I spoke to the Dapol rep at Telford he said the quartering was not taken into consideration when the final mock up was agreed on.

Martyn.

Sorry if a bit off the subject but has anyone with the original issue green wasp stripe engine had a go at respraying the odd black edged radiator. I was hoping it would be loosely glued in so I could pop it out and spray yellow. Has anyone tried to remove it, does it come out?

Well you two must be the lucky ones, as I've never seen one yet and I've seen a few. When I spoke to the Dapol rep at Telford he said the quartering was not taken into consideration when the final mock up was agreed on.

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

I dont doubt that re the quartering-BTW I do need to address mine. Dapol mgmt not knowing about/considering quartering?! Sadly that doesnt surprise me either, if it wasnt for RW, I get the feeling that the word clueless would fall from my lips re. Dapol mgmt.

It is true to say that being a model manufacturer requires one to have an 'S' emblazoned on ones blue leotard and that one wears ones pants on the outside (ie knowledge of prototype and/or access to resource info., knowledge of miniaturisation/model making, superb R&D, superb design for model/tooling and in these days of outsourcing, superbly robust contracts and supplychain mgmt etc etc.), yet making decent RTR models isnt a black art. Ixion/Minerva, the LLC have achieved great results from a standing start, Dapol are supposed to be long standing Subject Matter Experts. I have to say that Dapol's quality control, re. locos, is lacking, maybe even some of the product process/manufacture is too?

I still believe that the wealth of knowledge on this Thread, helped get a half decent 08 in the end/long run. I have heard of one or two manufacturers bemoaning how 'internet forums' are making their lives difficult. I can see, when on occassion, I have viewed some of the HO/OO Threads (and heard of what my mates have viewed) that could be the case. Ive heard similar weirdness from punters at traders/manufacturers' stands at shows. BUT! That's the minority. Some RTR manufacturers are really not helping themselves either and thus their customers. In addition, Dapol specifically seem very poor at communicating with wholesale, retail customers and the media, also Dapol seem to change their mind a great deal-Id hate to be a retailer re. some of the costly mind-changing Ive heard about.

By and large Im pleased with my VFM Dapol purchases, yet most have required repair or fettling-AND yes I have fed such back to Dapol and their retailers (some magazine 'mystery shoppers/writers', oft acuse, those who have faulty products of whinging on the internet first and foremost-I dont as my contract of sale is with the retailer no one else). TBF to Dapol they have stood by me/and the retailers (even though some retailers seem to forget that their contracted duty of care/statutory obligation is with their retail customer and yet some retailers still pass the buck onto the manufacturer). It would be much better if the quality control and manufacture of said goods was right from the start, the accuracy of the model too (arguably easier in this day and age with 100s of reference books and the internet-yet still certain RTR manufacturers get such wrong by a country mile).

I cant fathom it all, RTR manufacturers, especially long standing ones, should be more clued up than ever before, yet tacit knowledge seems to be like babies in bath-water these days. In so many walks of life there now seems to be degree educated (ie a BA in outer Mongolian ancient history), millennials, who spout management speak with a shocking level of arrogance-when clearly they know sweet FA-and thus make all of our lives more challenging than they need be. Can one provide a critique on such? No....so it would seem....as 'faux' PC then comes into play!

My 08 was good VFM, with some added details, now looks good, not perfect but VERY good, I just wish that I didnt have to phaff with oversize PB bushings, wheel positioning and quartering though!

Kindest to all,

CME.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It wasn't so much the look of those brass spacers that bugged me, but how far the quartering was out. I have looked at a few 08's since then and they're all the same, all out by a mile. So that was the main reason I removed the cranks.

Martyn.

Are you referring to the displacement of the cranks by 90o when compared to the balance weights, rather than the quartering being out?? Having seen a number of ootb Dapol 08s from various batches, I've not noticed that there are issues with the quartering itself more than a few thou (and well within the rather loose tolerances of the con-rod holes)

Hi Alan,

Yes I meant the cranks in relation to the balance weights, I'm afraid I'm not sure why I brought quartering into the discussion. Probably another senior moment, so sorry to whoever is reading my waffle, I stand corrected, although I must agree concerning the " slop " on the con rod holes : )

Regards,

Martyn.

Are you referring to the displacement of the cranks by 90o when compared to the balance weights, rather than the quartering being out?? Having seen a number of ootb Dapol 08s from various batches, I've not noticed that there are issues with the quartering itself more than a few thou (and well within the rather loose tolerances of the con-rod holes)

Hi Alan, interesting comments, they are ALL as you say and some have quartering issues-as well as 'generous' tolerances on the rods etc 

Hi Alan,

Yes I meant the cranks in relation to the balance weights, I'm afraid I'm not sure why I brought quartering into the discussion. Probably another senior moment, so sorry to whoever is reading my waffle, I stand corrected, although I must agree concerning the " slop " on the con rod holes : )

Regards,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn, they suffer, to a greater or lesser extent, from both, it's just by degrees of severity.....see my above comments re. Alan's.

Glad we old gits clarified it though LOL!

Kindest,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

For info the balance weights are not exactly at 6.30 and are closer to 7.00 o'clock when crank pin is vertical at 12.00 o'clock (source drawings from wild swan publications No 12 covering the Diesel Electric Shunters). This is due to the connecting rods not being symmetrical as as they have additional upstanding material for the oiling points on top of the connections rods. This additional material will change the point of the balance weight to compensate for this, hence weight it is not directly opposed to crank pin.

For those that have access to drawings on publication above, when you look at cross sectional view it looks as though weights are at 5.00 clock but the view is looking from inside to outside so you so you have to reverse view hence it becomes 7.00 o'clock when side view is viewed from outside looking inwards.

For me it's not an a big issue as my loco runs fine and wheels are mainly hidden by side frames. Bushes are a more of an issue as they make loco too wide but will just live with this issue as not prepared to potentially create another problem when trying to remove them...

Edited by Greenmodelmonkey

For info the balance weights are not exactly at 6.30 and are closer to 7.00 o'clock when crank pin is vertical at 12.00 o'clock (source drawings from wild swan publications No 12 covering the Diesel Electric Shunters). This is due to the connecting rods not being symmetrical as as they have additional upstanding material for the oiling points on top of the connections rods. This additional material will change the point of the balance weight to compensate for this, hence weight it is not directly opposed to crank pin.

For those that have access to drawings on publication above, when you look at cross sectional view it looks as though weights are at 5.00 clock but the view is looking from inside to outside so you so you have to reverse view hence it becomes 7.00 o'clock when side view is viewed from outside looking inwards.

For me it's not an a big issue as my loco runs fine and wheels are mainly hidden by side frames. Bushes are a more of an issue as they make loco too wide but will just live with this issue as not prepared to potentially create another problem when trying to remove them...

Hi,

Thanks for that detailed information. As you say these things are a minor annoyance, especially when one looks at the state of the world as it is, it's small fry. Common sense prevails. As I have a working model, and until I weather, super-detail, add figures, I shall leave the axles and PB bushings as is for now, then amend when I do the detailing work.

Kind regards with thanks,

CME

• RMweb Premium

For info the balance weights are not exactly at 6.30 and are closer to 7.00 o'clock when crank pin is vertical at 12.00 o'clock (source drawings from wild swan publications No 12 covering the Diesel Electric Shunters).

That book (AFAIK) relates to the earlier (LMS) locos on 4' wheels, later BR Class 11.

Can anyone confirm that the BR 350hp shunters (Classes 08/09/10/13) with their 4'6" wheels were set up the same??

• 1 month later...

This may have been asked earlier but can someone confirm the max speed of the 08 was 15mph?  I finally got some track laid and wired and I've been playing with it.  At 128 steps the model moves at what I believe is 15mph so takes an age to traverse the track.

John

This may have been asked earlier but can someone confirm the max speed of the 08 was 15mph?  I finally got some track laid and wired and I've been playing with it.  At 128 steps the model moves at what I believe is 15mph so takes an age to traverse the track.

John

I remember reading about this somewhere on RMWeb (so I doubt I'll find it :mosking: )

Some were limited to 15 & others to 20. Above 15 they rode really rough so were not driven this fast very often.

I remember running an 08 on a trip freight on a friend's OO gauge layout at a show. The layout was about 16' long & I used to put the controls down & have a chat while it crawled along the layout. If I was running it on my own, I used to comfortably have enough time to set up both fiddle yards ready for the next move.

If you took an 08 flat out, an automatic limiter would cut in at 24mph but it didn't just hold the speed, it cut out the engine so you had to start a fresh at notch one. It was a right pain in the you know where, so most drivers kept them at around 20mph.

Martyn.

• Like 2

Hi all,

According to BR driving instructions booklet BR33003/252dated July 1969, 08s were 20mph and 09s 27 and a half mph. Move on 11 years to July 1980, and the replacement book BR33056/70 shows 08s as 15mph and 09s unaltered. During those 11 years the max speed clearly was reduced.

Hope this helps,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Gosh, I almost brought one at Warley.......they looked really cool.

What do they run like ?

Here's one with Paul Chetter sound (Version 2) and Speed Lock.

I've added a few bits and pieces to it and weathered it as well.

Jinty ;)

• Like 6

Here's one with Paul Chetter sound (Version 2) and Speed Lock.

I've added a few bits and pieces to it and weathered it as well.

http://youtu.be/9YPB1mlXyQA

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

Nice very impressive!

May I ask, did you weather inside the cab/take the cab off?

Also did you get Paul C to fit the sound decoder for you, I read in one mag how he improved the shunting lighting etc....was that done to yours?

ATB,

CME