Dapol 08

Kickstart

As Hal Nail correctly says...if you look closely at the studio shot of 08173 on Antics website, on its right hand side (looking forward) you can just see that the bonnet doors above the body side exhauster boxes (they have 5 square lids on their tops) are nicely moulded to ‘finish’ above the boxes as per the prototype.

If you then visit, say, Hattons website and look at the studio shot of 08202 on the same side, you’ll see the bonnet doors are much longer and come right down to the running plate as there’s no additional set of boxes on that side of the loco. That’s the difference in Dapol mouldings that we’re referring to. Very nicely executed, but by doing that to 08173, they should have removed the 10 vertical bonnet handles first, as the handles never co-existed (to the best of my knowledge) with the exhauster boxes on the right hand side.

Keeping up??:wacko::wacko:

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Airport2010 said:

As Hal Nail correctly says...if you look closely at the studio shot of 08173 on Antics website, on its right hand side (looking forward) you can just see that the bonnet doors above the body side exhauster boxes (they have 5 square lids on their tops) are nicely moulded to ‘finish’ above the boxes as per the prototype.

If you then visit, say, Hattons website and look at the studio shot of 08202 on the same side, you’ll see the bonnet doors are much longer and come right down to the running plate as there’s no additional set of boxes on that side of the loco. That’s the difference in Dapol mouldings that we’re referring to. Very nicely executed, but by doing that to 08173, they should have removed the 10 vertical bonnet handles first, as the handles never co-existed (to the best of my knowledge) with the exhauster boxes on the right hand side.

Keeping up??:wacko::wacko:

Got it! Thanks, I swear I looked and just saw a Class 08, never looked in too much detail.. Considering I have both the unnumbered 08 in Green and an unnumbered one in Blue...

• RMweb Premium

Found a picture of 08091 with long hinges, rh box and the vertical handles. An Illustrated History of West Country China Clay Trains, Vaughan, plate 128 (date not given).

Edit: plate 126 shows same loco on same branch in 1978 although you can’t  see the bonnet. Good bet it’s the same day tho.

Edited by Hal Nail

On 11/06/2019 at 14:02, Mic said:

Got it! Thanks, I swear I looked and just saw a Class 08, never looked in too much detail.. 

I think that's what Dapol did too, when they first announced their model - how many years ago..??!!

Then they realised that the O Scale community wasn't just going to accept something vaguely 'Gronk shaped', despite how cheap it was going to be. :mosking:

• Agree 2

On 19/06/2019 at 06:58, F-UnitMad said:

I think that's what Dapol did too, when they first announced their model - how many years ago..??!!

Then they realised that the O Scale community wasn't just going to accept something vaguely 'Gronk shaped', despite how cheap it was going to be. :mosking:

I think this forum helped them to realise that! Yet the noise from the apologists was almost deafening. The model, apart from QC, turned out okay because of such. Also Richard Webster is very diligent on the whole.

On 17/06/2019 at 23:07, Hal Nail said:

Found a picture of 08091 with long hinges, rh box and the vertical handles. An Illustrated History of West Country China Clay Trains, Vaughan, plate 128 (date not given).

Edit: plate 126 shows same loco on same branch in 1978 although you can’t  see the bonnet. Good bet it’s the same day tho.

Interesting! I’ve had a browse on the Heritage Shunters Trust website which does feature 08091, but unfortunately the shot is of its left hand side, so it doesn’t stand out amongst its peers. Well discovered!:drink_mini:

Thought I’d just stick up a pic of 08155. This started off as the unnumbered version of 08173, with the BR logo on the side boxes not on the bonnet doors as it is now. I removed the vertical bonnet handles off each side as the loco never carried them. They just pull straight out of the body.

2DFF0DAF-4403-49D7-B494-49E9545FA758.jpeg

Edited by Airport2010
Missed out some text.
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Apologies for the overtly selling nature of this post. I have a set of laser cut wipers made by Giles for the Dapol 08 if anyone is interested. I purchased these some time ago, but they are unused and still stapled to the instruction sheet. I would like £4.50 posted. Thanks.

Edited by Night Train

• 2 weeks later...

Gaugemaster have announced a new Dapol class 09 in BR green, blue (weathered and pristine versions), "Dick Hardy" engineers grey and "Ivor" in Network southeast. It was announced on Hattons Instagram page, I've not seen it advertised anywhere else. Will update if I can find a link to post.

Edit: as if by magic... https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/siteresults.aspx?searchfield=gm7210 shunter&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=gaugemasterclass09announcement&fbclid=IwAR3s-NV5IhnBidBGB5DkC7sovp7UwRu_7LcncNawRrlVZ92STu4WW6xLou4

Edited by Dreadnought05

2 hours ago, Dreadnought05 said:

Gaugemaster have announced a new Dapol class 09 in BR green, blue (weathered and pristine versions), "Dick Hardy" engineers grey and "Ivor" in Network southeast. It was announced on Hattons Instagram page, I've not seen it advertised anywhere else. Will update if I can find a link to post.

Edit: as if by magic... https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/siteresults.aspx?searchfield=gm7210 shunter&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=gaugemasterclass09announcement&fbclid=IwAR3s-NV5IhnBidBGB5DkC7sovp7UwRu_7LcncNawRrlVZ92STu4WW6xLou4

cancelled my order for 08's because this will save me a lot of work making high level pipes. hopefully they'll fit horns too instead of whistles

The Class 09’s appear when you search Gaugemasters website. I will post a link shortly.

Ivor is not a Class 09, it is a Class 08 - previously 08600 so this is an odd choice. 

Has been mentioned on a FB Group post by someone else that they were doing 5x liveries but only 3x stated.

We will hopefully see what transpires.

4 hours ago, Welsh Signaller said:

Would the Departmental 09 have high level pipes front and back, so would be suitable (externally) for a Class 09/1 & Class 09/2 ?

Cheers 

09/1 & 09/2didn't have high level pipes. These were only fitted to the original 09's, except 09024 & 09025. As all 09/1 & 09/2 started lives as 08's, an appropriate dual braked class 08 body would be a good stating point, as long as it isn't the 1st ones Dapol did with the external bonnet hinges. 

Paul J.

33 minutes ago, Swindon 123 said:

09/1 & 09/2didn't have high level pipes. These were only fitted to the original 09's, except 09024 & 09025. As all 09/1 & 09/2 started lives as 08's, an appropriate dual braked class 08 body would be a good stating point, as long as it isn't the 1st ones Dapol did with the external bonnet hinges. 

Paul J.

I never realised 24 and 25 never had pipes. just assumed they got removed at some stage and never refitted. 

45 minutes ago, Welsh Signaller said:

Thank you, I’m looking at long time Newport shunter 09105/107/203.

Just a high geared 08. No visual difference on the outside than any other 08 with the same battery/compressor/exhausted box layout. See what the new 08’s configuration is spray it grey and number it

• Thanks 1

On 10/07/2019 at 09:08, Welsh Signaller said:

Thank you, I’m looking at long time Newport shunter 09105/107/203.

Well it just goes to show. Always check photos of locos before making general statements. Of the three Newport shunters in your list, 09105 & 09203 are bog standard dual braked 08's with LH & RH exhauster boxes, so the later style Dual braked 08 would do fine, as long as it has the two exhauster boxes. However, on checking up on 09107, it does in fact have high level air pipes. Must have been converted from a SR 08, some of which did have high level pipes. Therefore the proposed Gaugemaster class 09 model would be ideal for 09107, especially the 09012 "Dick Hardy" version in Grey.

09107  Barry sp. 13-08-1995 09107  Canton Mpd. 21-05-1995

Paul James.

Edited by Swindon 123
Links to photos of 09107 added.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Hi folks

I fitted a Zimo MX 634 chip to my Dapol 08 today and have an issue with the lights.

I am using a Guagemaster Prodigy Advance controller, the top marker light is fine and works of the 0 button and changes direction as expected so no issue.

The issue is with the bottom shunting lights at the radiator end, the shunting lights at the cab end work fine off of F3 and stay illuminated but the radiator end only illuminates when F2 is held down and go out as soon as the button is released so I guess aren't latching.

The question is has anyone else experienced this and is there a way I can make the F2 button latch by programming the chip?  I have checked the other functions ad they only work off F2.

Many thanks in advance.

E