NGS kit 28 RMC JGA hopper wagon

terrysoham

• RMweb Gold

Hello Terry,

When I made my rake I left the bodies self coloured, and just painted the etched parts using the rattle-can VW car paint specified as it was easier than spraying.

However, if you want to spray with enamel then I would go with either P159 Strathclyde PTE red (actually orange) or P254 Hanson orange.

Some of these wagons are now in full or patch painted mid grey (albeit with orange data panels) while at least one other has received a repaint into DBS red.

Is this the train you're replicating?  I took this photo at Manea in 2013 as it was heading towards Ely...

post-420-0-90553200-1441534271_thumb.jpg

Here is the same train at Whittlesey last year, with a grey one in the rake...

post-420-0-69492600-1441534169_thumb.jpg

I have actually made a start on a rake of the white former Lafarge PGAs using TPM discharge chutes and some replacement etches of my own design, along with built up plasticard sides.  Once they're done I will write up a how-to article for Model Rail, if you're interested...

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks Ben that's just what I wanted to know. I will have to visit Halford's in Newmarket and pick up an aerosol of VW paint. Actually the JGA waggons aren't for Neely they're for the Ely club's N gauge layout called Westgate Park. This is a fictitious location but it does have a quarry for ballast so I thought that a rake of JGAs would be just the job. I thought that if I built one to a high enough standard (I can but try!) then maybe I could convince our treasurer to purchase a dozen or so.

Talking about this waggon kit, did you find that the coupling was a bit of a pig to fit in the pocket that is attached to the bogie? I just couldn't get the clips that are built into the pocket to work and resorted eventually to cutting off the catch and just using the upright bits for location whilst I glued it. Afterwards I wondered whether the NEM pockets that Dapol supply might have been a better bet.

Moving onto your PGAs, I have a rake of Farish PAAs which I use on the Middleton sand train that used to reverse at Ely yard on its way to Goole. These are a pretty basic representation of the PAAs which could do with the roof opening actuators, ladder and hand wheel bits that I believe TMA? used to do. If ever you get round to doing some etches etc for these bits and pieces I'd be very interested in buying some from you.

By the way if ever you're in the Soham area taking pictures, please let me know as it would be great to meet up.

Kind regards

• RMweb Gold

Hi Terry,

The Farish PAAs come up well with the TPM BIS sand hopper detailing pack.  Here is one of my rake, albeit before I fitted the wheels and couplers.

post-420-0-52803500-1441570843_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-83436900-1441570860_thumb.jpg

Here is an admittedly poor photo of the rake on Horseley Fields:

post-420-0-16093600-1441571402_thumb.jpg

The train isn't really right for the Wolverhampton area but I am imagining that it is a run to a new glass plant somewhere in the West Midlands!  The rake is a little shorter than the usual number (14 wagons) but I have seen these trains running with as few as 9 wagons, so it does happen.

Re the couplers on the JGA: when I originally designed the kit, the bogies had coupler pockets that were like old Farish.  They have now been upgraded to NEM pockets but we have had trouble with the tooling of the newer pocket.  Unfortunately the toolmaker we were using has retired now, and so getting it adjusted or altered is problematic.

It seems a bit pot-luck; I have had them that snap in perfectly time after time, or others that did need a little more fettling.

We are trying to address the issue; the problem is we could spend money on a new tool for items that work OK most of the time, or spend that money on something different and new!

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

• 4 years later...

For anyone coming across this thread, I have found that the Citadel paints 'Troll Slayer Orange' is an identical match to the orange plastic the kit is moulded in. I am building a batch of 5 and have sprayed the bodies and the etched this colour with a great result!

Best wishes

Simon

• Thanks 2