Project Builds, Detailing, Painting, Weathering

N scale CF7 build

DanielB

Hi all,

I wanted to create a thread to document my progress at building the Randgust CF7 Kit. This kit is the only N scale CF7 model currently available, as far as I am aware.

The kit is comprised of resin and etched brass and requires an Atlas or Bachmann GP7 without the dynamic brake blister to complete. An un-decorated shell is easier to work with but is not a "must". The latest Atlas GP7 appears to be the easiest chassis to get to fit the kit, as the older type doesn't leave room for the low hood due to the way the lighting boards are positioned, so would require a lot more work to convert fully.

Randy provides a fully detailed set of step by step instructions in PDF format when you purchase one of the kits from him, and they include instructions for all 4 versions of the kit that he makes - with four different cab types and two different kinds of side frames, allowing you to make a model of the locomotive throughout it's career.

Progress on this thread might be a little slow, as I've had the kit for a long time and have been quite intimidated by it, having never built a loco kit before.

Take it slowly and carefully and it is actually a very straightforward build. Or it has been so far! :)

I've managed to get as far as adding the etched brass details, however you are advised to paint the model at this stage as otherwise getting the loco painted correctly can be troublesome.

Here's the loco before the paint was applied - you can see the resin, brass and gap filler applied here, as well as the plastic Atlas shell.

20150828_221025-1_zpspisiaf47.jpg

I've since primed the shell with white Plastikote, and have hand painted several layers of very thin paint to make the Yellow Bonnet ATSF scheme. As, however, the ATSF didn't operate in the area my layouts are set, I have done a patch job on it and will be operating it as a Shortline loco.

Here's my current progress. It needs much more work, and I have only used paint so far - weathering powders will be applied and the loco sealed before I progress with the etched brass. The nose needs neatening up too, and the gaps in the cab (which isn't glued on yet so I can access the inside of it during the build) need filling too.

Still, it's getting there, and I'm happy with the progress. :)

20150906_111038_012-1_zpsdqiqo53y.jpg

20150906_111325_012-1_zpsrvrnvukw.jpg

20150906_111337_005-1_zpsjodxswrb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived