Rotherhurst - A slice of Southern in Norway

SR Rich

Ok, we are back at full speed (well nearly), with 7 weeeks to go before out first exhibition.

Here are some pictures from progress over he weekend.

Started on the back scene

IMG_3551_zpssog26k4h.jpg

One part drying.

IMG_3557_zpsw12nmabh.jpg

Started with the trees.

IMG_3559_zpsshjvhgis.jpg

I am sure Stuart will have more pictures and a better description soon.

Richard

• Like 4

Agree. Looked good before but the backscene makes it even better. Is it a Guagemaster one?

Hi

Thank you all for your kind comments

The back scene is made by ID Backscenes, it is 203 Village pack a and b, we are very happy with the way it has worked with the layout.

Richard

Wow..! This is superb. A lovely layout.

You've done a brilliant job there and I enjoyed reading the thread.

If I've got a couple of criticisms. One, your ballets is too clean for steam loco's. and two, Land Rovers are defiantly post war. Could I suggest replacing it with a civvie coloured Austin Tilly...?

Hi all

Not so much modelling, but getting ready for our first exhibition.

Just finished sewing the black cloth to go around the layout and back of the fiddle yard.

The two pictures here show the curtain around the scenic part of the layout, it is held in place with velcro.

20160829_202301_zpszst3l3m1.jpg

20160829_202318_zpskz7rdq5f.jpg

The animals mentioned in the last post have progressed to being glued on to wire for easier handling and sprayed with a black undercoat.

Richard

• Like 10

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. It really helps with the motivation to get on with the layout (although most of the recent work has been done by Dad).

Wow..! This is superb. A lovely layout.

You've done a brilliant job there and I enjoyed reading the thread.

If I've got a couple of criticisms. One, your ballets is too clean for steam loco's. and two, Land Rovers are defiantly post war. Could I suggest replacing it with a civvie coloured Austin Tilly...?

The ballast may get a bit more 'dirt' once we got an airbrush compressor, as doing it by hand doesn't sound so entertaining (especially after painting all the rails!). The Land Rover is just a temporary placement on the layout as we are hoping the layout can cover a few different time periods by switching the right vehicles in and out, as our collection of rolling stock covers everything from pre-grouping up until the BR blue period.

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would make a quick progress (or lack of) update.

Unfortunately today someone (who shall remain nameless) received a new Terrier today, so all work has halted while the layout was subjected to a Terrier Takeover!

DSC00098_zpsyf1zlks3.jpg

Normal service will hopefully resume tomorrow....as long as nothing else arrives in the post!

Stuart

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

We have not ben idle over the last couple of weeks, just not had time to post, over the last couple of weeks the station platform building has been completed and planted, many animals (sheep /40),cows(6),pigs(9),horses(2),chickens(11) and wildfoul (8)) and many other things.

We are in the middle of our first exhibition :) , here is a few pics.

So if you are in Bergen (Norway) this weekend do come and say hi !

20160930_231817_zpsnouh3ert.jpg

This is the layout, we are both very proud of what we have achived.

20161001_194453_zpsd0umkmvc.jpg

The next couple of pics show an overview of the exhibition, the enterance  is directly in front of the layout, so we are the first layout the publc see.

20161001_194329_zpsagbzdij3.jpg

20161001_194335_zpsibh3jy8f.jpg

Ok, that's it for now, have a great weekend.  :)  :)

Richard

Edited by SR Rich
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The layout is looking fabulous, and you obviously had a great weekend at the show.

Looking at the overhead views of the exhibition begs the question; was yours the only layout with a backscene?

All the best,

Dave.

• Like 1

Hi

Thank you all for your nice comments.

There was one G gauge layout with a small backscene behind a trestle bridge, so technically, yes ours was the only one with a full backscene. Here in Norway the layouts seem to be mostly large modular types.

Stuart mentioned in his post another " Terrier Takeover", I like to think it is more of a cavalcade!

A video of it can be seen here, the sound is from the engines and not a recording or ddc sound (the layout is analog).

http://vid1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii580/SR_father_son/Mobile%20Uploads/20161002_100051_zpsaqalo3w8.mp4

Richard

Edited by SR Rich
  • Like 1

Great work. Looks great. Hopefully it'll be even better from the experiences of exhibiting it :)

As for couplings, have you considered ones such as kadees between the coaches (the southern used buckeyes a lot for coaching and EMU stock), or the alex jackson system?

Only thing missing is a bit of 3rd rail ;) (tounge firmly in cheek!)

Great work. Looks great. Hopefully it'll be even better from the experiences of exhibiting it :)

As for couplings, have you considered ones such as kadees between the coaches (the southern used buckeyes a lot for coaching and EMU stock), or the alex jackson system?

Only thing missing is a bit of 3rd rail ;) (tounge firmly in cheek!)

Hi Kelly

Thanks for your comments on the layout, we have a few ideas of how to improve the layout before next year, more on the running side.

I had not seen the Alex Jackson system before, it looks very good, I do not know if it would work for us because we have a tight corner from the layout to the fiddle yard, maybe we would get buffer lock if pushing round he corner .

20161016_104200_zpswbtlgtpr.jpg

I have come up with my own coupling between my Kirk coaches, it is made from handrail wire (0.45) so it has a little springiness to it, so it stays coupled when the coaches go up the incline on the layout, this system worked well at the exhibition without any problems. :)

20161016_104526_LLS_zpsncbn27y2.jpg

This is on a two coach set, so maybe sprung wire and a little thicker could be a better idea for the future. This is just my first experiment, which will be refined in the future.

20161016_104540_LLS_zpswvutsac6.jpg

As for the idea of third rail !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard

Edited by SR Rich
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

At last, Photobucket is back online. Found the thread last night, saw all the positive comments but could see none of the pics. Time for a coffee and proper read of the thread :)