Scottish Region class 20 - plain green

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

One of two questions tonight about how late plain green liveried diesels ran on the Scottish region; as they are about two different classes I have split them into separate threads.

Anyway, how late did ScR members of class 20 (especially D8028) run in plain green?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi folks,

One of two questions tonight about how late plain green liveried diesels ran on the Scottish region; as they are about two different classes I have split them into separate threads.

Anyway, how late did ScR members of class 20 (especially D8028) run in plain green?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi Alex..I've posted this before so you maybe have seen it..its not 8028 but it is green..or mostly!

Polmadie late 70s I believe but could probably tie down date if needed.

Cheers

Dave

post-2371-0-61969300-1442402477_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the pic - it's certainly new to me.  It looks like one of those locos that, if you modelled it as in the image, someone would pull you up and state that " ..... there weren't any like that ..... ".

As for the hunt for a date, the MLI edition on the 20s has some nice shots of one of the Kittybrewster engines in plain green dated to 1964.

Once more, thanks for the help.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's one with D8079 in shot at Easfield August 1966 which seems quite late to have no yellow.

https://flic.kr/p/fPfJPe

Perhaps it wasn't that unusual, D8112 Beatock also August 1966, or is it just dirty?

http://www.rail-onli...987f51#h2987f51

I think this one definitely is just very dirty - D8104 in August 1969.

http://www.rail-onli...2dd2b0#he2dd2b0

A few years after I started my footplate career at Toton several of the Scottish class 20's headed south to the LMR & ER, one of them, D8030, was allocated to the Nottm. Division between 08-06-68 and 14-09-68 from where it was reallocated to Stratford.

During it's short stay in the Nottm. Division I was booked on a Toton-Chaddesden tripper with the loco.  At Chaddesden, waiting to leave on the return trip to Toton I took a picture of the loco in the Stowage Sidings, (better known to the locals as S**g 'em). I have the picture in front of me, D8030 is in plain green with no warning panel and part of the tablet catcher remaining in the recess.

The photo is undated but but it would have been taken between June and September of that year.

Regards, Mick.

Edited by tovetune

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to share your memories and information.  Some great photographs there.  I must admit to being really quite surprised at how long some of these lasted without seeing a brush and some yellow paint.

The specific request in terms of D8028 was simply that I was thinking of getting one of the current Bachmann releases but wondered about whether it would have lasted in such a condition until as late as, say, 1967.  I was happy to renumber but was hoping to avoid doing any painting.

Again, many thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Alex.

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

HI,

Thanks for posting that link.  I had a quick look, and it certainly looks to be plain green.  As to the date of the photo, a close look at that 47 would help; it's got full yellow ends but I can't make out the style of number or the logo.  Nevertheless, it's an interesting image.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi,

i think this is more likely to be a case of a fading slide.

My 50 year old memories of the locos at Cambois were that  they

all had some kind of yellow end and that none were green only.

Sadly i do  not have any pictures of D8029 at Cambois but i do have a shot

in the roundhouse at York after the loco was repainted blue.

Trev.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

I've had a look at the few books, etc, that I have on the twenties with none of them showing a plain green loco beyond around 63/64.

Again, thanks for the input.

Alex.

And yet there are a number of photos of locos in the D8028-34 batch - plus D8079 - in plain green past the mid-1960s, many of which have been published in recent times in various Strathwood albums and the MLI mag on the class.

The slide of D8029 was definitely taken in 1969, as the Class 47 in the background is in standard blue, this first appeared in spring 1969 (I think 1649 was the first?) - and its less than spotless condition would suggest the photo was taken a long way into that year too. 

If this slide is genuine (and hasn't suffered age degradation which has caused a filthy yellow panel to 'disappear') D8029 must surely now be the undisputed Last BR Mainline Diesel in Green No Yellow. Well, until something else comes along anyway.....!

• Informative/Useful 1