Appleton Yard - Painting modelu drivers...

rob D2

Olive Drab was the paint of the 70's and into the early 80's. This was superseded by Nato Green and Nato black.

Your right of course Dave - I think that's what I meant to say, but got it wrong thinking about that lovely Deep Bronze Green Gloss paint in the 50s/60s.

Cheers, Bob.

Thanks for the info.

I'm sorry I'm turning this into an armoured vehicle thread....I was reading about how they used to spray these. Apparently they turned up green , then at depot level they sprayed the black using all sorts of mixers.

Anyway, we're not far off, so last photo before they go to the depot ( I promise)

post-450-0-64043300-1452637623_thumb.jpeg

And for those of you interested in trains :), this decided to shed its nameplate, so I've been reattaching it. Of course this loco has nothing to do with Appleton yard....more to do with previous and future planned planks

post-450-0-91763300-1452637705_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

Hi Rob - More than happy to have lots of Military Vehicles mentioned and shown :good: - For me, that's what this type of layout is all about, the detail in what you are transporting etc.

Its a shame that model company's do not produce more post war British AFV's and Softskins in 1/76 as plastic kits (not resin), been very neglected in my view :yes: getting better In 1/35th scale now though, but still lots of types that have not been done.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers, Bob.

• Like 2

Hi rob D2, heres a few of my soft skins mainly kit built for a possible future militaty depot, barracks or TA base on a future layout. I may also use some as wagon loads.post-13362-0-04270500-1452688561_thumb.jpg

The models that Airfix aquired from JB models were very nice , however they have taken the Bedford MK and Labdrover 101s out of production which is very unfortunate as they would be great for loading on trains.

Revel make the kits for the M.A.N truck in 4, 6 and 8 wheel versions. I plan on making an 8 wheeler military recovery truck soon.

Edited by tamperman36
  • Like 7

Tamperman,

They would look great around a small barracks diarama.

I'd love to get hold of a couple of Airfix Bedords to bash into the Signals Radio Relay wagons I used to maintain.

Regards,

Karl

• Like 1

My father was a career soldier and I remember him telling me about when they took delivery of the new Foden 6x6s and 8x8s in the late 70s and early 80s. They arrived in Matt green and they started spraying the matt black on them but it wasn't going fast enough. The solution?  A couple of dozen squaddies with buckets of black paint and floor mops! Dad said that mops and buckets were frequently used for painting vehicles.

I've also been told that, due to the urgency of getting vehicles out to the Gulf for the first Gulf War, some had cans of sand paint poured over them and it was then just spread out with brooms.

• Like 1

My father was a career soldier and I remember him telling me about when they took delivery of the new Foden 6x6s and 8x8s in the late 70s and early 80s. They arrived in Matt green and they started spraying the matt black on them but it wasn't going fast enough. The solution?  A couple of dozen squaddies with buckets of black paint and floor mops! Dad said that mops and buckets were frequently used for painting vehicles.

I've also been told that, due to the urgency of getting vehicles out to the Gulf for the first Gulf War, some had cans of sand paint poured over them and it was then just spread out with brooms.

I can agree with your comment about the sand coloured paint, 'Guilty as charged!', i was one of the eejits that sprayed everything that moved.

only when we got to Suadi Arabia did we realise the error of our ways!

I always seemed to hand paint my Bedford and LandRovers!

Looking good Rob

In the squadron I was in between 1988 and 1991, we had to hand paint ours too, usually when there was nothing else going on. If one of them got bashed and the paint flaked off it was like looking at the rings in a tree, or an archaeological dig! I think if we'd actually stripped the paint back we'd have got a little more speed out of old MK bowsers.

To make a serious modelling point though, there are many websites that will tell you how to 'properly' paint British Army vehicles, but many of them were painted using by crusty brushes with no regard to official diagrams or scientific camouflage research. Similarly, the position of Union Flags and until markings were family random, if carried at all. I preferred to finish ours with a nice, rolling line between the black and green, lots of lovely reverse curves; every vehicle, including trailers, had a black circle on them somewhere and 06GB35, a rickety bowser, was posted to our depot freshly painted with tiger stripes atop its pump compartment. It came back after a couple of weeks and we had to repaint it, but it was funny. I have modelled that bowser in its unofficial livery and it periodically attracts attention at exhibtions  from people 'who know better'.

Apologies for going off-topic. Now, back to the excellent modelling.

• Like 3

No problem at all - happy to talk military vehicles anytime ! And on a little plank like this, they are more important to the story than the trains almost.

I've been messing up OCAs that I brought second hand. Got two more ' Dutch ' ones so now have 5 in total.

post-450-0-15389600-1453047634_thumb.jpeg

Also took the landrovers apart on the other two and added ' documentation ' to the inside of the windscreens. Removed aerials as I was told these were put on at the depots.

post-450-0-38917600-1453047716_thumb.jpeg

Finally, I've decided to stick with 3 class 37s for now. The Dutch one, the mainline blue one and this one. I like 37174 as it was one of the few EWS 37s I actually saw - on a engineers at princes risborough ( whilst I passing with my new girlfriend - I also remember getting absolutely twisted that night on vodka & redbull), ah nostaligia for 1998.....

It's only when I look at it that the errors jump out at me , for a 1998 version

It needs

- yellow headcode boxes

- clips for lamp bracket

- 2 piece snowploughs ( they omitted the middle )

On the weathering side

- roofs too muddy

- buffers also muddy ( painted black for now )

- bufferbeam too muddy and detail parts not weathered at all.

I've attempted to muck the roof a bit more, but I'm not convinced as yet.

I removed the centre snowplough from the new style bracket that fits in the NEM and painted the bracket black so it's not noticeable . Also put a bot of muck on the ploughs.

The Bachmann detailing kit is a it feeble these days - 2 vac pipes, 2 couplings, 2 multi workers and 2 ploughs - no air pipes at all , I'll have to get some from my stash.

Anyway this is what it looks like now - it'll need a lot more time

post-450-0-29145900-1453048244_thumb.jpeg

post-450-0-59662100-1453048264_thumb.jpeg

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 13

Whip antenna would normally only but put on when likely to use the radios, so just before an excercise or ops, and taken off when back in barracks.

To be really picky, the antenna mounts wouldn't be carried either, except on exercise or standby for deployment - they were expensive pieces of kit! However, if anybody points that out at an exhibition they probably need help! (I'm off to get mine now)

The wagons look good.

After seeing some pictures in one of the DEMU magazines of MOD vehicle traffic, I got a couple of the Oxford Diecast 'civilianised' Land Rovers and a Transit van to put in my open trucks. They do a nice red and white 'Battenberg' style airfield Land Rover which looks good.

What's a tuaam ?

I see from Brian Daniels oca pics that both short and long wheelbase landrovers went in them. Must have been a 25 point turn to get them in....

I'm going to get some trailers to fill the gaps on those OCAs, I quite fancy one of those snow cats and some quad bikes as well.

Ben, I see they do a RAF landrover and a Berlin. Scheme as well, but would the army be shifting RAF vehicles I wonder ? I was tempted to get some more

• Like 1

What's a tuaam ?

I see from Brian Daniels oca pics that both short and long wheelbase landrovers went in them. Must have been a 25 point turn to get them in....

I'm going to get some trailers to fill the gaps on those OCAs, I quite fancy one of those snow cats and some quad bikes as well.

Ben, I see they do a RAF landrover and a Berlin. Scheme as well, but would the army be shifting RAF vehicles I wonder ? I was tempted to get some more

TUAAM - Tuning Unit Automatic Antenna Matching - convinced the radio that it had an antenna that was the precise length required for whatever frequency was being used rather than just an inefficient 2m whip - Still got it!

Regarding RAF vehicles and Army depots -  I'm not sure when it started but the military supply system is very much joined up rather than having three separate supply chains. Until fairly recently, I think, places like Bicester were under the Defence Logistics Organisation. Parts of it have probably been privatised by now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We left our Tuaams (pots) on our FFR fleet it was a right pain someone always broke them. I was glad when we received new kit like the airwave kit.

I've always been tempted to model something similar to this so I can mock up some Royal Signals kit that we used back in the day like ballasted 110 landrovers with the NCRS trailers more commonly known as burger vans and perhaps a Leyland Daf as a Comcen.

Sorry for the hijack of the thread but I'm loving all this MOD stuff in 4mm scale keep up the great work.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 2

TUAAM - Tuning Unit Automatic Antenna Matching - convinced the radio that it had an antenna that was the precise length required for whatever frequency was being used rather than just an inefficient 2m whip - Still got it!

Regarding RAF vehicles and Army depots -  I'm not sure when it started but the military supply system is very much joined up rather than having three separate supply chains. Until fairly recently, I think, places like Bicester were under the Defence Logistics Organisation. Parts of it have probably been privatised by now.

DLO was formed early 90s after one of the defence reviews.

The depot at Aschurch had the Virgin train fleet there for a while about 15 years ago.

We left our Tuaams (pots) on our FFR fleet it was a right pain someone always broke them. I was glad when we received new kit like the airwave kit.

I've always been tempted to model something similar to this so I can mock up some Royal Signals kit that we used back in the day like ballasted 110 landrovers with the NCRS trailers more commonly known as burger vans and perhaps a Leyland Daf as a Comcen.

Sorry for the hijack of the thread but I'm loving all this MOD stuff in 4mm scale keep up the great work.

Cheers

Colin

The wing mounted squareish boxes had the tuaam's in, they were for the vhf kit, you had a turf mounted in the back for the hf kit but you had to manually wind that to match the antenna,
  • Like 1

DLO was formed early 90s after one of the defence reviews.

The depot at Aschurch had the Virgin train fleet there for a while about 15 years ago.

The wing mounted squareish boxes had the tuaam's in, they were for the vhf kit, you had a turf mounted in the back for the hf kit but you had to manually wind that to match the antenna,

I could never get my head around HF - too many crackles and whistles.

Rob,

You could think about some of the Airfix, ex JB Models Series 3 Land Rovers to fill your wagons (and they come with trailers) as there were still a number of the series rovers kicking about in the 90s - we had two in our squadron until 1991 ish.

Edited by Moggs Eye