Appleton Yard - Painting modelu drivers...

rob D2

The only reason the noses were flusher was because they were full of filler much like yours. I took most of it off with an angle grinder with a wire brush attachment whilst it was at Chinnor as the water had got behind it and it had started to bulge and crack. Sure Ive got a picture of it somewhere looking more like a 37/5 with just the plate welded on and raised from the body work. I would say if you just filled out from the lip of the steel plate and blended it in to the edge of the nose you won't be far wrong. Unfortunately it means more filling.....

Don't worry I'm not a great fan of filling things either. It's a lot easier on a full size 37 where you can attack it with a power sander.

Sure you'll get there in the end.

Cheers

Marcus

Nice progress. Liking the MOD vehicles and feel. Have bookmarked the suppliers mentioned in this thread for future reference as I've a plan for a layout based around Chilmark (including the narrow gauge part), but that is liable to be a longer term thing, maybe even a diorama to start (the narrow gauge part mainly) as I have a NSE layout to work on atm instead.

• Like 1

The infernal fencing has moved another 12" closer to completion !

post-450-0-65511100-1457126365_thumb.jpeg

Ever wondered what a coal sector 37 looks like with original buffer beam cowls ? I did , as I was playing around with Bachmann noses.

post-450-0-69295500-1457126435_thumb.jpeg

37116 now almost has filed horn cut outs I can live with. The rail match BR blue is an exact copy of this Bachmann shade, so they will be touched in by hand.

Ordered the transrail decals and sister Dora name plates from fox for a cool £21 total. Good stuff but not cheap.

post-450-0-06630000-1457126555_thumb.jpeg

Priorities going forward for layout.

/ finish the damn fence, finish the concrete fence by the water.

/ fit some more photos on the back scene from Google Earth.

Priorities for rolling stock

/ 37116

/ OAA weathering

/ war flats and load

Cheers

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 4

Nice Job on 116 Rob. Once the fillers painted I'm sure it wont be noticeable. Perhaps when you do 516 it might be worth getting a 37/5 body off ebay. The Metals (514) and RF Red stripe (506) examples seem to come up quite frequently.

Fencings looking good although I can imagine its getting quite tedious. Still its certainly worth the effort because, as you said earlier, you cant have an MOD installation without miles of the stuff. You'll need some of those "Guard dogs on patrol" signs as well which seem to be frequently attached to the fence.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Marcus . Just need a chassis for it . Fix transfers arrived already so as time permits can crack on.

Actually that's what the coal sector one will be as its a body with the reinforced cant rails. Just need to buy some more flush fronts off R3 sprays. And if course I'll need an airbrush ! That'll be my summer loco project.

That'll give me EWS, mainline, Dutch, transrail and load haul 37s. That's really all I need but there's hundreds I want rather than need !

• Like 1

Ha ,

Yes I remember that one.

When I got back into trains in 96 I used to scour the ' unusual movements ' section of ' rail' mag for all the odd trip workings the 37s did.

I seem to recall didcot, Warrington, hoo and Eastleigh being the hotspots.

Funnily, it never occurred to me to go and actually look at these places - that came later but by then it was wall to wall EWS 66s !

Ha ,

Yes I remember that one.

When I got back into trains in 96 I used to scour the ' unusual movements ' section of ' rail' mag for all the odd trip workings the 37s did.

I seem to recall didcot, Warrington, hoo and Eastleigh being the hotspots.

Funnily, it never occurred to me to go and actually look at these places - that came later but by then it was wall to wall EWS 66s !

Yep All those places were good. Even Bescot to a point. Mind you Bescots getting to be quite good for seeing the 97/3s. I was on the early morning Bescot Stud Farm all week and two of them were on there everyday.

It would have been rude not to grab a picture or two......

post-18515-0-91308900-1457362543_thumb.jpg

post-18515-0-83631400-1457362554_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 3

Nice,

I should really make the effort to go ' lineside' and see if I can get inspired by the current scene - seems to be more and more heritage locos out of preservation - I guess we can ' blame ' EU emissions regs for this resurgence !

Nothing to report on the plank, but did have a chance to progress the tractor as the others are off doing martial arts/ gym tonight.

Started to Apply the decals to a shiney surface courtesy of T cut.

post-450-0-24819100-1457370371_thumb.jpeg

That's the transrail colour intensification patch on there. The finish I'm after is about 1996 , newly refurbished and this loco was quite shiny in places.

Noses have had small ' 116 numbers and I noticed they didn't have radio aerials at all - these are tooth brush bristles painted with a sharpie and a small hole drilled in the nose for them. Very fine, not sure quite how accurate, may yet need some trimming..

post-450-0-93517500-1457370508_thumb.jpeg

And finally for James makin,,,, fox decals go on better with music of the period. Therefore I have selected ' universal nation' by Push. Top 90s Belgian trance....

::)))

post-450-0-64045900-1457370593_thumb.jpeg

Cheers !

• Like 4

Last bit of security fence ! I shall bore you with no more fencing...

post-450-0-56184200-1458409924_thumb.jpeg

Started adding some photographic bits to the backscene. I'm not sure if they work that well and our printer is pure rubbish, but maybe they lend a certain geographical area feel.

post-450-0-41775000-1458409999_thumb.jpeg

That's from MOD caversfield near Bicester

post-450-0-71264200-1458410037_thumb.jpeg

That probably doesn't need a description.must fix that corner of the backscene.

post-450-0-74171300-1458410075_thumb.jpeg

Continue to work on this. The replica cantrail lining doesn't adhere to corners so I need to get some decal softener or bin it and use an orange gel pen. Not sure which yet.

Spray cans of testers dull cote arrived as well.

I've also ordered a RES 47 by Bachmann. At £65 I couldn't resist. Good thing is these were used on some enterprise services - notably in the south Newport - pontrilas, and some of the gidea park and paddock wood stuff. I'm hoping to get some OTAs to put behind it - again these were seen on the above and also the Eastleigh - Carlisle service which came through Oxfordshire. So I'm just stretching the truth a little.

TTFN

• Like 5

I do think the time and effort spent on that security fencing is well worth it... it does set the scene. I picked up a Bachmann 47 in Railfreight Grey a couple of weeks ago and was chuffed at £80. If you've got hold of a RES for £65... bargain!

• Like 1

Canoe club needs a new sign !

post-450-0-34116600-1458568249_thumb.jpeg

Just need some canoes now. Concrete fence has extended.just a bit left.

Class 60 popped in off MgR trains, from the establishment in the distance.

post-450-0-60027700-1458568302_thumb.jpeg

I'm thinking of making the left hand siding into a fuelling point, something basic like didcot without the shed.

Reason being I can justify the 60s coming in more often, if it's for fuel.

• Like 8

Well, with the final fence in place, I've been adding more foliage

post-450-0-27455600-1458822566_thumb.jpeg

Basically, the plank is now complete ! Of course detailing is ongoing...

The first ' layout ' I've finished in 15 years since I started up again.

I'll continue to post updates of detailing and rolling stock projects as and when.

Thoughts also turn to possible expansion. The purple is the existing layout, the green is options.

Green one is to add another 5'x 1' board off the fiddle yard as a TMD and free up space in the fiddle.

Green two is a possibly 180 degree extensions cross the box room and down the opposite side - this would be problematical as it would have to be folded away when my mum comes to visit as she uses a fold up bed there.

post-450-0-09033500-1458822797_thumb.jpeg

Finally, happy Easter. ASDA has taken a big delivery.

post-450-0-71290500-1458822868_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8