Appleton Yard - Painting modelu drivers...

rob D2

Congratulations, Rob. I guess the detailing's never finished though. As Chris says, can you try to give us an "overview" shot?

About the best I can do, from the fiddle yard.

post-450-0-83920200-1458931742_thumb.jpeg

I still need to move the military container to its rightful spot.

I've learnt a lot making this thing

- I no longer want to use code 100

- don't start stuff at the front until you've finished the back

- don't start anything until the fiddle yard and backscene are in place.

- don't underestimate the time and cost of even 5' of model.

I could extend it ( 2017) but I have some other plans for other planks based on this period - inc the dreaded TMD ( I want something based on bescot ), or maybe a quay ( cross between hamworthy and fowey?) but I'll concentrate on detailing and rolling stock for this one for now.

• Like 9

Thanks guys - yes, I've still got the military stuff to make , Warflats and some more little tanks to go on them.

I've then got various locos of the period I'd like to Bodge together inc, 37116 ( in progress ), 37516, and a chassi awaiting a green 47 body to make 47004.

I don't anticipate anything being built beyond this until next year as we are now getting near the busy summer, I don't stop for summer but the time is even more limited. So if I can get some of the rolling stock done that'll be it

Edited by rob D2

Looking good; I flew over ludgershall today and thought of your layout. There appeared to be quite a few wagons in the sidings; didn't have chance to have a proper look though.

I note you said you won't use code 100 again; I was thinking of trying 75 on phase two of my layout. Is that what you're looking to use or going to opt for hand built??

• Like 1

That's a good question Scott ,

I quite like the approach of SMP track with peco points in code 75, but as Ian pointed out its not as robust as peco throughout.

I'll have to have a good think about it I guess

That's a good question Scott ,

I quite like the approach of SMP track with peco points in code 75, but as Ian pointed out its not as robust as peco throughout.

I'll have to have a good think about it I guess

I wouldn't dismiss it that readily Rob.  Code 75 points with Exactoscale BH and FB works fine for me.  Flexi-track is flexi-track.  For sidings the BH is a must for that worn-out look. 

http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=911_346_375_383

Rgds

M

Interesting, I think it'll have to be something finer.

It's a leap in the dark for me as I've always used insulfrog and code 100 - I'll have to get to grips with finescale , live frogs etc. I don't

Ike wiring so I'll go down the frog juicer route - anyway this is all likely to be 2017 at the earliest.

I'm seriously contemplating putting a TMD in the fiddle yard of the above as 5' scenic and 5' fiddle seems a waste .

I'm still messing with 37116 - not sure how I'm going to use cantrail decals round the bottom of the front windows ? I've sued decal fix to bend them a bit elsewhere.

I've noticed another compromise I'm going to have to make - there's an extra panel on the model right where the nameplate goes one side - didn't notice that either. I've learnt a lesson here- just because a loco is BR blue doesn't mean it's in the same condition other than the paint colour 20 years later !

This won't suit everybody, but visually it's light years ahead of Peco, not least because of the one-piece point blades. Tillig Elite Code 83 has a much wider range of geometry than Peco. It's also a perfect match for the Exactoscale concrete sleeper bases and matching Code 82/83 flatbottom rail. Sleeper base height is identical. You need to use slow-action point motors with Tillig. You can narrow the sleeper spacing on the Exactoscale bases where it meets the Tillig pointwork to make the "shock" of going from a narrow sleeper spacing to a wide one less noticeable. I'm still a huge fan of Peco but have used Tillig before and although a little fragile until laid and ballasted, I do like it very much. Whatever you do Rob, it will be down to your own personal gut feeling. Plenty of options to think about. I hate wiring too, and although there are those that think juicers are "cheating", stuff 'em. They work well and remove a wiring headache. Good luck with the plans.

Also had this idea.

Could make a kick back out the fiddle yard, and then use it to attach removable modules depicting my other ideas as they don't really need a new layout on their own.

If that's the case I'd probably just upgrade to code 75 and leave it at that, if I'm not starting over so to speak post-450-0-40153300-1459161422_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

It's a leap in the dark for me as I've always used insulfrog and code 100 - I'll have to get to grips with finescale , live frogs etc. I don't

Ike wiring so I'll go down the frog juicer route - anyway this is all likely to be 2017 at the earliest.

I'm seriously contemplating putting a TMD in the fiddle yard of the above as 5' scenic and 5' fiddle seems a waste .

I'm still messing with 37116 - not sure how I'm going to use cantrail decals round the bottom of the front windows ? I've sued decal fix to bend them a bit elsewhere.

I've noticed another compromise I'm going to have to make - there's an extra panel on the model right where the nameplate goes one side - didn't notice that either. I've learnt a lesson here- just because a loco is BR blue doesn't mean it's in the same condition other than the paint colour 20 years later !

It's well worth the effort using finer scale track - I had people (probably shortsighted) looking at my layouts and asking if they are built with EM. With the amount of effort and detail you've put into this layout I'm sure you'd manage re-wiring live frog points. Frog juicers are okay, but they are expensive and only do the job of a switch on your point motor.

Give it a go, you'll never look back.

Don't worry about the point work - code 75 electrofrog with standard peco point motors and switch will work just fine.

Fox cantrail works fine cut in smaller sections (small overlap) with plenty of micro-seal.

good stuff

Here's one for you Marcus.

Local spotters are wondering why there are cement PCAs in the sidings.

post-450-0-40145400-1459618305_thumb.jpeg

They have been shunt released by 08839, and waited to be tripped by 37242.

post-450-0-10896200-1459618587_thumb.jpeg

There's no cement in those tanks. This is ' flyash' that has originated in longannet, before moving to Newport and now to be tripped to westbury cement works. 6C40 they call this ......( real working of the period bent to come via Appleton ). In the period I've found photos of class 37/56/58/60 on this train.

In other news. Checking this chassis will fit 37116. It's no nearer to being finished I'm afraid, as still awaiting some transfers, and contemplating 96 style with round buffers or 98 with the ovals.

post-450-0-01337200-1459618818_thumb.jpeg

And eventually this will have given up its wheels - I'll get another chassis for it, but I'm struggling to find suitable renumber options of the time that weren't totally knackered looking.

post-450-0-90190200-1459618897_thumb.jpeg

Bye !

• Like 7

The ideas for separate addon modules is a good one if planned right. Especially if they're set up to run independently of any other modules, with or without fiddle yards for shunting puzzle type scenarios.

It's an idea, but the front runner is to carry on with the stock weathering/ renumber ing till the end of the year.

My western quay idea is foremost in my mind at present, but that's starting fresh.

Here's one for you Marcus.

Local spotters are wondering why there are cement PCAs in the sidings.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

They have been shunt released by 08839, and waited to be tripped by 37242.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

There's no cement in those tanks. This is ' flyash' that has originated in longannet, before moving to Newport and now to be tripped to westbury cement works. 6C40 they call this ......( real working of the period bent to come via Appleton ). In the period I've found photos of class 37/56/58/60 on this train.

In other news. Checking this chassis will fit 37116. It's no nearer to being finished I'm afraid, as still awaiting some transfers, and contemplating 96 style with round buffers or 98 with the ovals.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

And eventually this will have given up its wheels - I'll get another chassis for it, but I'm struggling to find suitable renumber options of the time that weren't totally knackered looking.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Bye !

Great work on 116. She's looking beautiful. I think my 116 has got round buffers. Looks nice with round but obviously depends on your time period. If you want a tidy dutch example you could go with 114

post-18515-0-86418500-1459710762_thumb.jpg

Or you could just stick with 035 as she regularly ended up in the area. Here she is at Leamington Spa

post-18515-0-75799700-1459710878_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 3