Appleton Yard - Painting modelu drivers...

rob D2

• 2 weeks later...

Messing about with ' tractors ' again.....should be a farmer really !

I was bored the plain vanilla Dutch 37 so I made this amendment.

post-450-0-17430700-1460577200_thumb.jpeg

There's something a bit wrong with the big T though....it's about a mm too high looking at the pics of the real one.

It's rather strange - the T of the big T should rest on the yellow/ grey divide, but that would push the red stripes a tad low. I think there may be something amiss with the tumble home .

Anyway I'll change it as it's more noticeable like this.

Also gives me something to run timber trains - as this is ' jock mctractor ', it did get to St blazey, didcot and bescot as well though so fits the criteria

• Like 2

Are you sure they're not Mk 4 Cortinas?

Definitely Cavaliers. . . . it's what the RAF Station Commanders used to drive.  MOD discount for Vauxhall products; most of the 'normal' vehicles were horrid Astra Diesel estates. . . . press the accelerator wait 5 seconds and off you go :-). . . . . . :-)

Are you sure they're not Mk 4 Cortinas?

Definitely Cavaliers. . .

Are you sure you're sure? They still look like Cortinas even after zooming in on the biggest available image and squinting a bit! Cortinas, Cavaliers, Robin Reliants, whatever... nice shot though.

Edited by Pete 75C

Are you sure you're sure? They still look like Cortinas even after zooming in on the biggest available image and squinting a bit! Cortinas, Cavaliers, Robin Reliants, whatever... nice shot though.

As sure as I can be Pete.  I saluted enough of them Green Cavaliers with pennants on when in RAFG :-)  Never saw a Staff Cortina (joined in 87).  Metros were common for Junior staff and hated driving them when Duty Officer :-)

Vauxhall cars were common as staff vehicles late 80's and into the 90's.  The Mk 2 Cavalier was 81-88 and the Mk 4 Cortina was 76 - 81 and the Mk5 until 82.  Taking into consideration that the photo is taken in 84 and the cars are new I'm 100 % confident that they are Cavaliers; Also the boot rakes downward - Cortina was flat.  Also train has aircraft tug on it - yellow thing.

All Rob needs is for Oxford to add the Cavalier to it's military range.  Now off to find some more MOD trains and drink in the nostalgia.  Thanks all

Edited by Melly

Messing about with ' tractors ' again.....should be a farmer really !

I was bored the plain vanilla Dutch 37 so I made this amendment.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

There's something a bit wrong with the big T though....it's about a mm too high looking at the pics of the real one.

It's rather strange - the T of the big T should rest on the yellow/ grey divide, but that would push the red stripes a tad low. I think there may be something amiss with the tumble home .

Anyway I'll change it as it's more noticeable like this.

Also gives me something to run timber trains - as this is ' jock mctractor ', it did get to St blazey, didcot and bescot as well though so fits the criteria

Great looking setup good to see nice 90's era been modelled too! On the big T who's is it? As Precision Decals http://www.precisionlabels.com/d94.html does a perfect example and it looks really smart on, he does the different sized lettering too for different class's :)

Yep, they are cavaliers - my dad had a black cavalier around then - had to pay extra for the colour !

The big T is from Fox.

I've refitted another one in the right spot now.

I've also taken delivery of red BS decals so I have enough to finish sister Dora now

Well it's my birthday, and I've taken delivery of a number of modelling items.

I asked the wife for one of those cheap airbrush deals and have got he AS18 with 2 airbrushes

Also got some other stuff -

post-450-0-33591600-1461745933_thumb.jpeg

The most holy sister is almost done. Cantrail is all on, plates going on, just leaves replacing the aerials that got knocked off and this will have the chassis from 37043, assuming 043 will fit on another.

post-450-0-90183900-1461746030_thumb.jpeg

My mum got me these 2 timber wagons - these fit in with several themes and were in fact seen through the didcot area on their way from Eastleigh to Carlisle and chirk in the period.

As I've now got 043 and 116, and some timber wagons, I'm feeling the next plank may have a Scottish flavour.

post-450-0-77516800-1461746179_thumb.jpeg

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Happy birthday Rob

your model of 37116 is looking the dog danglies.

I've been tempted to do a model of it as I remember it in that condition from my time when I was based at Carlisle.

Cheers Colin

Edited by CovDriver

Thanks guys,

I'm kinda happy with it although there has been more compromises than I thought taking a standard blue 37. It's cost about £35 to get its here.

It's now had two coats of dullcote, which has made the blue very flat, flatter than in fact it was on the original which was close to the Bachmann blue.

Many Happy Returns for yesterday Rob. Nice collection of presents you have there. 116 looks superb mate. Don't worry, by the time we got our hands on 116 the blue was a whole lot flatter than yours after standing for a couple of years in Eastleigh yard!! Looks spot on to me for her last year in service.

Top work mate. Looking forward to seeing a nice 37 hauled timber train.

Cheers

Marcus

Many Happy Returns for yesterday Rob. Nice collection of presents you have there. 116 looks superb mate. Don't worry, by the time we got our hands on 116 the blue was a whole lot flatter than yours after standing for a couple of years in Eastleigh yard!! Looks spot on to me for her last year in service.

Top work mate. Looking forward to seeing a nice 37 hauled timber train.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Marcus - it's annoying as the blue was perfect and like you saying looks like 2000s when it's supposed to look 1998..... Ah well

Anyway it's almost done now. Replaced oval buffers with round Heljan ones.they will need more glue I think.

Aerials from brushes are too flimsy as you can see will replace those with 0.5mm wire I think - not as fine but more robust. Will also weather it at some point and work out why the lights don't work....

Here are the last images I'll post of this conversion as I'm sure everyone's had enough !

post-450-0-16033900-1461864282_thumb.jpeg

post-450-0-10982700-1461864301_thumb.jpeg

post-450-0-46825800-1461864317_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

So we lay some more water in the lake, remembered to make some barriers this time with foam board and maskol. Will be investing in some birds and canoes next, which from Noch and preiser are realistically priced to make you think you are getting full size ones.

post-450-0-60295300-1462813387_thumb.jpeg

Scale conundrum - OO gauge golf with HO gauge Volvo. Is it really that much bigger ? And Bachmann man , what is he HO or OO ? Who knows...

post-450-0-42595700-1462813457_thumb.jpeg

Tried super strip for the first time on this, worked quite well, this is to become 37516 and will be the first big airbrush project in the summer

post-450-0-90879900-1462813516_thumb.jpeg

Still enjoying playing trains, managed to do the numbers and decals on the other side of 37043,but it's being in the fiddle yard, so here's a random picture of the first side.

Needs a spray of varnish next.

post-450-0-56730900-1462813666_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

I do wonder if the figures are H0 ??? Bachmann sell many of the same figures in the US under H0. I just received a pack from the UK and will have a pack arriving from my local dealer this week so we shall see. 

Edited by thebritfarmer