Appleton Yard - Painting modelu drivers...

rob D2

Just to let you know I'm still here and the yards in regular use

post-450-0-17338300-1507813943_thumb.jpg

TBH, my concentration for small tasks and intricate tasks has all but deserted me over the last few months. I've got a number of projects I just can't get stuck into at present .

I'm quite happy coming in the spare room shed and shunting about or making up a few trains.

I am enthusiastic about a new plank though, but I have about three ideas, at least one of which is a better version of this one. Must get motivated at some point .

• Like 9

Well I did a little modelling today.

I'm slowly improving my diesels as I go, to try and get them closer to the real thing.

Mainline 37274 has had a bit of attention. Fuel tanks weathered via the wipe off style, pick ups painted black ( a major bugbear of mine as my shed chair has broken and is now stuck in full ' down ' I'm sitting at bogie height !)

I also thought I'd try and paint the white wheel slip markings on as these are very obvious in the videos I've seen of the 90s. I tried masking it, but TBH, with my smallest humbrol brush it came out ok freehand.

I always try and work from a photo

Finally, I'm also trying to cover up the Tcut residue that got in the grilles, acyrilic doesn't seem to do it.learnt a lesson there, protect your grills !

• 3 weeks later...

More tinkering with 37s I'm afraid ...

Transrail liveried 043 has been stripped of the TR logos and renumbered as 012. This was more appropriate to the Home Counties in 1996.

post-450-0-44189600-1510157871_thumb.png

In early 96 it kept its BR arrows until EWS pulled them off all its stock. I've found a couple I have from Bachmann. The 37 ones look a bit malnourished compared with the one from a parcels 47... not sure if they were actually supposed to be different/ bigger ?

post-450-0-16208800-1510157966_thumb.jpg

Finally the ghost train continues to take shape..... white primer in place and I've made an effort in recreating the roof vents. This was a right mare - I got some etched ones from shawplan but they were far to small and fiddly for me to sort , tried filler blobs , that didn't work. And finally white plastic strip sanded down. They are not quite the same shape but close enough for me. I've got the flush noses so need to sort the fit,net of those.....and then I'll be ready to try my airbrush once I've sourced the Phoenix paints for loadhaul......can't quite justify the courier cost for two tinlets at present....is there anywhere near swindon that sells them ??

post-450-0-04392700-1510158177_thumb.jpgpost-450-0-71438900-1510158245_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Just been having a read through your very enjoyable thread Rob, very nice work. The MOD base looks great too.

I like your fleet of Tractors, more nice work there. Your weathering looks great; like you I find I struggle to be happy with exhaust weathering, think I really need to invest in an airbrush (feels a bit like a trip to the dentist, its something I feel I have to do, rather than want)!

Martyn.

• Like 1

Just been having a read through your very enjoyable thread Rob, very nice work. The MOD base looks great too.

I like your fleet of Tractors, more nice work there. Your weathering looks great; like you I find I struggle to be happy with exhaust weathering, think I really need to invest in an airbrush (feels a bit like a trip to the dentist, its something I feel I have to do, rather than want)!

Martyn.

I like tinkering ! Looking forward to getting some new peco stuff for the next great idea.....if I can think of it.. !

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Happy new year from the yard, we are still here dispatching military kit to dubious parts of the world

post-450-0-39946700-1515246171_thumb.jpeg

For Christmas , I didn’t ask for much toy train stuff, but I fancied a go with this as an experiment

post-450-0-74893700-1515246296_thumb.jpeg

Also got a loop of new code 75 bullhead , which will feature on the next plank. looks so much better than code 100

post-450-0-96228600-1515246407_thumb.jpeg

I’ve also been trying to make some loads for my MEAs, which is spoil like that that goes to calvert. It’s basically London SH... and mud as they continue to build in the capital. It’ll need refining as it looks like a chocolate brownie at present .

post-450-0-46820500-1515246505_thumb.jpeg

Sorry about the photos , whatever I do with this bloody iPhone it alters them.

• Like 5

Took a day trip to Westbury today......I don’t do much to look at the full-size railway but I was at a loose end.

Gotta say it would be easier modelling bang up to date, as it’s all.....right there.....and I must say I do like those sheds in red....my secret is out..

post-450-0-52450600-1515606765_thumb.jpeg

Both this one and 66192 were busy shunting the north and south sides

59002 was off to Wooten Bassett .

A freightlner 66 left with a HOBC,

It was pretty busy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Well, the yard is all but closed now. Still electrified but for testing more than anything . I have concentrated on some small rolling stock projects over the summer, and thoughts turn to its replacement .

This is one of the last workings. Shark has sat on the shelf for a decade. Finally got some weathering on it and got it moving. Ploughs await toning down with powder...

post-450-0-84150300-1538077407_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

Well, the yard is all but closed now. Still electrified but for testing more than anything . I have concentrated on some small rolling stock projects over the summer, and thoughts turn to its replacement .

This is one of the last workings. Shark has sat on the shelf for a decade. Finally got some weathering on it and got it moving. Ploughs await toning down with powder...

62CFCDA9-C310-425C-9D9B-9DCF3D6E87FE.jpeg

Hi Rob,

Its a shame it looks like the end of the road for Appleton Yard, I think it is a super little layout, though I understand the desire to do something new only too well!

Is it likely to be mothballed for re-use of components, or sold on?

Hi Rob,

Its a shame it looks like the end of the road for Appleton Yard, I think it is a super little layout, though I understand the desire to do something new only too well!

Is it likely to be mothballed for re-use of components, or sold on?

I’ll strip the scenic bits I may reuse. Rest will be skipped. Fiddle yard track to be sold, as the next one will be code 75

• 1 month later...

Well as a requiem, the boards went to be swindon landfill today. This forlorn bit of code 100 is all that is left

post-450-0-49665200-1542886508_thumb.jpeg

Spare room seems to have loads of room without it

post-450-0-70098400-1542886541_thumb.jpeg

However it’s not all doom and gloom ! New boards have been ordered from white rose for the next plank.

I’ve been experimenting with making a couple of cassettes as well

post-450-0-56576600-1542886599_thumb.jpeg

Not sure if the next one will be BR blue or post 2010, but it won’t be my familiar EWS early years I doubt. Getting stale and need a change. I’ll post a new layout topic as soon as I have something tangible.

• Like 4