Appleton Yard - Painting modelu drivers...

rob D2

Wagon wise, the only work going on is this train of three OCAs and an OAA.

This is the OAA, an old Hornby model, with new metal wheels. I'm trying to get the patch painted effect but may go back to the drawing board as the painting isn't quite precise enough.

post-450-0-02511700-1466515318_thumb.jpeg

A Bachmann EWS OCA - weathered a tad, with oleos painted silver.

post-450-0-34259600-1466515379_thumb.jpeg

Couple of Dutch OCAs

post-450-0-08415200-1466515419_thumb.jpeg

post-450-0-13853400-1466515445_thumb.jpeg

The purpose of the train is that IR fits in the short siding in the yard and will all have loads of old sleepers and metal, supposedly for recycling

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of hours free today so,,,,

Never really liked the Bachmann factory weathering on 37242, so started Removing it with t cut.

post-450-0-67104400-1467401188_thumb.jpeg

That's getting better - proper lustrous mainline blue....accidentally rubbed the number off too....oh well, there may be options to renumber. Don't want too many celebrity locos though.

More VGA work. This had red ends, which isn't right for my period so sprayed with halfords fiat yellow. Bit of touching up still to do.

post-450-0-61681300-1467401350_thumb.jpeg

This one is a standard Transrail one, just dirtied it up a bit.

post-450-0-73734600-1467401389_thumb.jpeg

So I have 5 VGAs now, always looking for more.

TTFN

• Like 10

Couple of hours free today so,,,,

Never really liked the Bachmann factory weathering on 37242, so started Removing it with t cut.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

That's getting better - proper lustrous mainline blue....accidentally rubbed the number off too....oh well, there may be options to renumber. Don't want too many celebrity locos though.

More VGA work. This had red ends, which isn't right for my period so sprayed with halfords fiat yellow. Bit of touching up still to do.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

This one is a standard Transrail one, just dirtied it up a bit.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

So I have 5 VGAs now, always looking for more.

TTFN

Hard to get hold of Vgas in older livery for a good price.

I've got 5 in my fleet too

That Mainline blue looks a whole lot better now. I might have to attack mine as well. As for a new number, how about 219. She was pretty unloved towards the end. Pretty regular round your chosen area as well.

That's a good call ! I used to have 219 as the Lima version -second loco I brought after returning to the hobby.

I'm also investigating 216,248,074 amongst others. Saw 383 at Toton.

I have some spare noses, which are marker lights not dominos so I can change them as well if necessary.

Here it is in better light. A lot more scrubbing to come and irritatingly I let the t cut run into the grilles so I'll have to scrub if off or paint over it.

I haven't done the tumble home yet as 242 was partially washed in a photo I saw - but I guess it won't be that one anymore.

post-450-0-96494900-1467452700_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

Yours looks surprisingly like this now........

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The details are a minefield - 37203 fits the body profile, 219 would need nose light clips .

I also thought of 074 but that had a strange Mod to the side grills. They put an extra bar across presumable so the silver line could continue all the way along but then never painted it......

Ill scrub the other side off and then have a think - more carefully than this side as I almost rubbed the silver line right off ! It's a bit thin in places ..l

Yes that would.....strange noses !

George dent did 047 from a vi trains version in model rail a few years back.

This is gonna be 074 or 274. I've just ordered the mainline freight transfers from fox,

Either way I need some plastic strip and blue paint to create that metal strip across the grilles. I've found a close up of 074 at bescot and it is just a metal strip across the grilles.

Once it's de weathered, changed and recalled I'll decide of I'll add Stewart's lane depot plaques ( 074 would need little 73A ones on the nose too) . It ran like this in early 1996 before EWS unceremoniously pulled all the depot plaques off.

I wonder why they did that , " welcome to your new employer - we will now delete all pride you have in your Home Depot "

Interesting management technique

Look forward to seeing its progress. How do you envisage detailing the bufferbeam? The Bachmann supplied nonsense isn't even worth discussion :)

I noticed you mentioned previously in your thread it was a problem.

Look forward to seeing its progress. How do you envisage detailing the bufferbeam? The Bachmann supplied nonsense isn't even worth discussion :)

I noticed you mentioned previously in your thread it was a problem.

Well, I gotta say for a shunting plank like mine, any buffermbeam stuff causes problems, because of constant reversals and the fact I still use tension locks.

I opted for just one pipe on 37174 as it didn't really look the real pipe work came from where bachamnn thought it did .

I'll see how it goes

Just checked the History page on Cl37LG. 37074 definitely Darlington. Your safe with 274 though

Sausages ! Or something similar......

I never thought to check that so thanks for the gen, I didn't realise anything below 37/5 had those grill dividers TBH.

Ok that rules out 167 as well, so it could be 274 but I'd rather it was early 96 condition before they pulled the plaques off and made it ugly, which means I should have ordered some.....sausages part 2 !

Sausages part 3 !

post-450-0-42686300-1468064755_thumb.jpeg

Bachmanns silver is really thin, I'm talking vi trains thin here......

Ah well, in for a penny in for a pound . Fox mainline transfers include the silver stripe so I guess I'll be giving that a go.

I've settled on 37274, with SL shed plates. After I e finished with the T cut the next thing will be to make the body side grille amendments.

Expected release from works 1/9/16 !

• Like 2

Oh Burger!!!

Might as well take the rest of the logo's off now and have 37375. Although that ones got those pesky Darlington grills again.

Think I might leave mine alone now.

Funny thing is, I was being very careful on side 2, but still managed to rub a bit of the silver off

37375 did spring to mind - but like you say the grills, and also at one end it has smaller than normal marker lights !

These things are a mine field of differences.

I'll still do 274, but it's going take a long time, especially as I'm away most of August

• Like 1