Appleton Yard - Painting modelu drivers...

rob D2

Thanks rob,

That partially helped it go round the curve. It still wouldn't do more than 20 mph though - I rejiggered CV5 to give a higher max speed and that fixed it.

692 - had to borrow an 8 pin lenz silver from another loco as I made the assumption all the 10 year old decoder would work - they didn't.thats fixed it and it's running ok now

We are getting there with the military sheds. They are almost done. Not an exact copy of ash church but not far off....

post-450-0-32058400-1448048777_thumb.jpeg

post-450-0-26907600-1448048797_thumb.jpeg

post-450-0-96908600-1448048814_thumb.jpeg

I have asked for some miniature armour from sands models for part of my Xmas present as well as two Genesis war flats.

Next job is to install barbed wire along the front of military depot - I don't know if I can face the ratio version again ,I may try the ancorton models version off eBay.

Then it's put the fiddle yard too surface in and sort that. After that the scenic break that end which will be a modern footbridge for which I have the palsticard already.

That will finish the major structures -it'll be mainly detailing after that

• Like 7

Really interesting project. I am loving the tractors you have, the era you are modelling was an interesting time on the big railway - the growth in traffic and 1960s locos (37s aka tractors) were deployed on trains growing in weight length as managers in the rail freight companies attracted new traffic. I think 1996 was the year that Ashchurch traffic restarted after a lull of several years - I remember seeing a Wales and West livery class 37 on VGAs and war flats. Although I went to Ashchurch on railway business I never took pictures!

Keep up the good work, keep the pictures coming.

Regards Paul

• RMweb Gold

Really interesting project. I am loving the tractors you have, the era you are modelling was an interesting time on the big railway - the growth in traffic and 1960s locos (37s aka tractors) were deployed on trains growing in weight length as managers in the rail freight companies attracted new traffic. I think 1996 was the year that Ashchurch traffic restarted after a lull of several years - I remember seeing a Wales and West livery class 37 on VGAs and war flats. Although I went to Ashchurch on railway business I never took pictures!

Keep up the good work, keep the pictures coming.

Regards Paul

Would photography have been permitted inside there, Paul?

Captain K asked about photography at places such as Ashchurch - I did go to other MoD sites, on official visits and it was always fine to photograph things like locos, wagons. On the theme I have attached a few photos I have taken as inspiration - VEAs, the very short wheelbase wagons finished in MoD traffic use in the early 1990s IIRC. VDAs/VAAs were still being used in the 1990s, although by mid 90s VGAs were quite the norm at Marchwood, Bicester, Ashchurch. Regards Paulpost-2828-0-18221000-1448054424.jpegpost-2828-0-90791400-1448054441.jpegpost-2828-0-40158400-1448054460.jpeg

• Like 6

Nice photos, devonbelle.

I've got VAAs,VDAs, VGAs and some OCAs . Although like you say the Earlier vans disappeared towards the late 90s, and the OCAs use for land rovers seems to be class 66 years.

To my mind the military stuff was some of the most interesting traffic in the south east, and for a plank layout offers a lot of variation to keep things interesting - there's lots of destinations I could send traffic to..

I was saying 1996 was the year for this layout , but I think I'll just call it 90s now, gives me a tad more flexibility.

OK, I'm out of time for tonight's session and probably the weekend due to kiddie commitments.

Got the supermarket distribution centre , logo - ed.....hopefully this looks like the one behind didcot stabling point now,

post-450-0-89185100-1448055961_thumb.jpeg

And here's the military sheds in place

With a couple of signals land rovers present.

post-450-0-77297200-1448056037_thumb.jpeg

On closer inspection through the open doors, it seems to be ' military trailers R us ' in that shed

post-450-0-85595300-1448056097_thumb.jpeg

Have a good week end everybody !

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi there.

Very nice work mate.

If I recall correctly the military term for the Land Rovers is FFR (fitted for radio).  :help:   At least it was when I was a lean green NAFFI machine  :D The bog standard rovers are GS (general service). 

Regards Lez.Z. 

Thoughts have turned to the end of the plank, where it will go onto the fiddle yard.

I was going to try and make the FY semi scenic, but there isn't enough space to do that and have 6 hidden sidings which is what I need really.

So unfortunately it'll be 5' scenic, 5' fiddle.

I'm making a modern style footbridge , to spam the railway and water feature. I've made a little island and a brick support.

The bridges sides and base will be basswood with plastruct steps. Not sure whether to have steps down to the water or make out its a private lake or something. This is the supports.

post-450-0-28609500-1448319738_thumb.jpeg

After this, it's Fiddle yard time. I'm about to order the 9mm ply to cover the existent baseboard. This is how it looks at present.

post-450-0-36165300-1448319868_thumb.jpeg

Then I'll have to get some track.im loathed to get code 100 , but this is what the rest is and it may be the last time for this system that has served me well.

There won't be much more progress on the military base - I need to decide on a fence supplier, and I've got a few detail bits but the bulk will be after Xmas once I ( hopefully) take delivery of some FV432s and scimitars.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi there. 

Can you tell me who makes the AFV432? I assume it's a kit. I used to drive one back in the day, I was in an artillery command post section and we had two 43s and and a FFR rover. I've been trying to find a kit for the 43s for ages now with no luck at all. I have a missile launcher and loader transporter as they are made by rocco minitanks and although they are the wrong scale they work together fine. I wanted to build a diorama of the old CP in the field but can't without the 43s.

Regards Lez.Z. :senile:  

Edited by lezz01

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic work Rob mate, can't believe I've only just found your thread!

Great prototype and timescale, this is basically almost bang on my new layout too haha, top choice! I await more updates, looking good so far & loving the Asda! :)

• Like 1

Just about to cut my teeth on some Parside VEA's having just done 3 HTVs to run on someone's plank in a couple of weeks.  Do you need a few?  Happy to batch build.

Regretting not paying attention to the Military Railways at Gutersloh and Bruggen when I was there :-(

Edited by Melly
  • Like 1

Thanks. Melly but they are too early for me.

Cheers James, I really want to do a 47004 as well as that would fit right in.

Les, check out s and s models website. They make resin 432s, samsons, samritans etc.

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 2

Yes, Peter Tandy. Has some good photos of 004 on bins,

I could have 47474 as well as this was around, but I sold mine to you.....to be 004 , d'oh :)

I'm trying to justify getting one of the very cheap RFD 47s around at present , I have a shot of 033 at didcot with a tank train' and a few of them in the Kineton munitions train. 47/3 to 033 may have wrong details but I'll see if it's a compromise I can make

• Like 2