Appleton Yard - Painting modelu drivers...

rob D2

Track arrived from hattons, and in an hour we had ourselves a fiddle yard. It's not high tech, I'm relying on fishplates for conductivity and it's not pretty ...

post-450-0-66890000-1450115960_thumb.jpeg

And of course, I then couldn't resist an ' operating session ' which I believe is posh speak for playing with ones chuff chuffers.....

post-450-0-07567200-1450116022_thumb.jpeg

TTFN

• Like 9

post-450-0-29606600-1450121902_thumb.jpeg

Chuff, chuff, chuff......

I've established from peco that the wire on the ratio security fencing is 0.5mm, so I can get some of that in in the new year.

I'm hoping Santa is bringing war flats and armour.....

• Like 8

As time will get shorter towards Xmas, o thought I'd mess about with a few rolling stock projects.

Dug my TEAs out, as I had begun weathering one. This are ideal for a thameshaven -littlemore flow that ran around 97-99. This will merely run around before heading off down the branch .post-450-0-84616100-1450271601_thumb.jpeg

Remove BP green and yellow with T cut ( a lot of rubbing), paint bogies and wheels with rail match frame dirt.

Use rail match weathered black on sides and using the rub off with thinners method.

There's several flows I'd like to model in the ' Oxfordshire ' area. This will spare siding space with another unusual one - coal for the MOD depot which ran until 2000 ish to Bicester

• Like 6

Just been catching up on this, really nice consistent level of work right across the layout Rob.

I particularly like the in period Asda sign, really helps set the era of the layout. Road vehicles and signage that haven't had any thought put in and are massively out of era for the layout are a pet hate of mine, so it's really nice to see someone taking the time to do it right!

Merry Christmas

Jo

• 2 weeks later...

Well, thought finally turn back to the trains.its been a busy time at work I've been away 29/12 till today.....so finally,,,, play time for a few days.

Santa did deliver...despite my wife ordering the wrong war flats, I did get some s and s models kits.

Namely 2 scimitar and 2 FV432 kits post-450-0-80326100-1452209700_thumb.jpeg

I'm quite looking forward to building these resin and metal jobbies.

• Like 4

Looking forward to following your build on these Rob to see how they go together etc - They are great fun to drive by the way :yes:

Cheers, Bob.

Funny you should say that Bob, I've just been looking at doing the part H driving licence - I really want to drive one of these !

However practicality is I can't afford to buy one on my own, I was wondering if there are group shares in this sort of thing ?

The models are fairly coarse scale as I thought they would be. The FV 432 consists of but five parts in total .

As they are resin they need a lot of work with a file to get the flash off, and possibly a little filler as well I think. The detail is OK from 12 inches but wouldn't stand up to close scrutiny especially around the lights/ smoke grenade launchers.

I'm still cleaning them up, this is as far as I got this morning ...

post-450-0-94310300-1452263293_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

Funny you should say that Bob, I've just been looking at doing the part H driving licence - I really want to drive one of these !

However practicality is I can't afford to buy one on my own, I was wondering if there are group shares in this sort of thing ?

The models are fairly coarse scale as I thought they would be. The FV 432 consists of but five parts in total .

As they are resin they need a lot of work with a file to get the flash off, and possibly a little filler as well I think. The detail is OK from 12 inches but wouldn't stand up to close scrutiny especially around the lights/ smoke grenade launchers.

I'm still cleaning them up, this is as far as I got this morning ...

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Hi Rob - As you possibly know the H Licence is not cheap to take today (luckily my one cost me nowt) - I have been driving Military vehicles, Tracked & HGV etc since I was 18 (over 45 yrs ago :O) - Never owned a 432 or CVRT, but have owned Daimler Ferrets and various Military vehicles privately.

You will need a fair bit of money to own a CVRT today.... Buying it ....... that's the easy part :yes: (if you have the money of course)  the hard part is keeping it maintained to a high standard, also Transportation /Storage etc - Best to join an MV club and get in with someone who has one and wangle a drive to see if you like it (You Will :good:).

A good friend of mine has a DUKW and Halftrack etc, so I still get to drive these occasionally.

Cheers, Bob.

Edited by bobster
  • Like 2

Hi,

Well I'm still messing with the CVRTs.

Taking a lot of filler to get right. They are more or less complete ( minus GPMGs for transport )so I hope to prime them with halfords finest in the next couple of days,

post-450-0-55801700-1452462774_thumb.jpeg

I've brought another 2 OCAs, strange thing is at least one of them I sold to the chap who has now switched to O gauge, ( thanks Craig ). That'll make 5 OCAs for transporting landrovers, trailers, snow cats and that sort of thing. Originally I had steel coil in them - which I can still use under ' enterprise '

I thought I'd dig them out and rough them up. Removed BR logos from one side and did a standard frame dirt on the bottom and wipe on / off on the sides. I can't really call it weathering compared with some of the masterpieces on here ( you know who you are Makin :) ) , but a generic dirtying I believe is better than nothing . I may try and go for the pink look on one of these.

post-450-0-42407200-1452463038_thumb.jpeg

Ta ta

• Like 11

Ok, so I learnt a few things - I need araldite to build these , not uhu, as some of the tracks and exhausts fell off when I was cleaning them up

Tried some green over the primer. It's not the right color ! Need humbrol 86 the Internet says

post-450-0-44724000-1452551203_thumb.jpeg

Repainted some Bachmann chaps in green as civilian Maintainers for the depot. Will need to change high viz to yellow

post-450-0-51249300-1452551267_thumb.jpeg

Finally, bodged up a speed camera from a station monitor stem and line side speed restriction battery box !

post-450-0-63012700-1452551318_thumb.jpeg

Also roughed up a vw golf to ad to the layout and added some more flora to the back scene photos.

That's it for today and possibly the week

• Like 4

Looking good, Rob. Interested to see how the resin works out for you. I have an Ayjay kit in a drawer that I keep looking at and then thinking... "nah, one day but not today". Is rattle-can primer ok on resin after degreasing?

Hi Rob

Coming along nicely - I have always used a Superglue on resin, which seemed to work well for me as long as its stactic - Paint for British vehicles in camo is Deep Bronze Green + Matt Black, should look ok with those colours, or you could also go for Desert Sand in the 1990s.

Cheers, Bob.